PDA

View Full Version : Rotational Pool

lukeinva
04-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Does any one know the rules for rotational pool? Couple of us want to play but no one knows the rules! Thanks for the help

chalkisfree
04-08-2005, 12:40 AM
1 goes on the foot spot, 2 on the right corner, 3 on the left, 15 in the middle. All other balls random. Must contact lowest ball first. Each ball gives a score equal to its number. A player wins when his opponent no longer has a chance to make the points needed to pass him. Example: in a two player game, the first to score 61 points wins. Breaker must make an open break (drive at least four balls to a rail :confused: ) or pocket a ball for the break to be legal. On an illegal break the opponent can take cue ball in hand behind the head string or have the balls re-racked and then take the break. During play you cannot call a safety and pocket a ball. A legally pocketed ball means you have to shoot again. Illegally pocketed balls and balls jumped off the table get spotted. For cue balls jumped off the table or scratched, opponent takes cue ball in hand behind the head string. On fouls, opponent can accept the balls in position or require the person who fouled to shoot again with balls in position. For cue ball off table or scratch, the person who fouled can be forced to shoot again with cue ball in hand in the kitchen. If the lowest ball is also in the kitchen, it can be moved to the footspot at shooter's request (must shoot out of the kitchen). Hope this makes sense :)

lukeinva
04-08-2005, 12:49 AM
1 goes on the foot spot, 2 on the right corner, 3 on the left, 15 in the middle. All other balls random. Must contact lowest ball first. Each ball gives a score equal to its number. A player wins when his opponent no longer has a chance to make the points needed to pass him. Example: in a two player game, the first to score 61 points wins. Breaker must make an open break (drive at least four balls to a rail :confused: ) or pocket a ball for the break to be legal. On an illegal break the opponent can take cue ball in hand behind the head string or have the balls re-racked and then take the break. During play you cannot call a safety and pocket a ball. A legally pocketed ball means you have to shoot again. Illegally pocketed balls and balls jumped off the table get spotted. For cue balls jumped off the table or scratched, opponent takes cue ball in hand behind the head string. On fouls, opponent can accept the balls in position or require the person who fouled to shoot again with balls in position. For cue ball off table or scratch, the person who fouled can be forced to shoot again with cue ball in hand in the kitchen. If the lowest ball is also in the kitchen, it can be moved to the footspot at shooter's request (must shoot out of the kitchen). Hope this makes sense :)

Got it thanks!

AceHigh
04-08-2005, 05:38 AM
Rotation, in my opinion, is the hardest game in american billiards. Then one pocket and straight pool. Playing rotation will teach you how to play perfect shape, break out clusters, play caroms, billiards, and combinations.

If you can play the 3 mentioned games at an A level, then you can play on the Pro Tour.

Good luck.

lukeinva
04-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Rotation, in my opinion, is the hardest game in american billiards. Then one pocket and straight pool. Playing rotation will teach you how to play perfect shape, break out clusters, play caroms, billiards, and combinations.

If you can play the 3 mentioned games at an A level, then you can play on the Pro Tour.

Good luck.

What about an A+ level? Should I play above the pro tour?? :p

BlowFish
04-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Rotation is what every starting filipino poolplayer in the philippines learns/plays.

Chalkisfree describes the way it is racked, but if I remember it right here is how it is racked. I could be wrong.

14 13
11 15 12
7 9 10 6
2 5 8 4 3

All other rules follow the BCA's General Rules on Pool.
http://www.bca-pool.com/cgi/site/framegate.cgi?url=http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml&cat=p

I have not seen or played it wherein, if my opponent fouls, I am given the option to have him shot it again as the current table stands. I could be wrong as well.

A player who reaches 61 points or above wins the rack.

I agree with AceHigh that this is the hardest to play and it's the best for position play.

This is what I play after I'm done with my drills.

Happy playing.

chalkisfree
04-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Checked the BCA site but couldn't find anything for rotation. Checked my 2001 copy of their official rules, and my post is on the mark, unless they revised some of the rules. Having a set position for each ball in the rack does seem like the way to go though, and I like how you have 'em set up. Remember that 61 points only works for two players. With three the numbers get a little tricky. :)

BlowFish
04-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Checked the BCA site but couldn't find anything for rotation. Checked my 2001 copy of their official rules, and my post is on the mark, unless they revised some of the rules. Having a set position for each ball in the rack does seem like the way to go though, and I like how you have 'em set up. Remember that 61 points only works for two players. With three the numbers get a little tricky. :)

There is none I can find with Google, maybe I just didn't looked really really look hard enough.

All the balls total to 120 points, playing it with 3 is also good. First to 41 points wins. Playing it with four is not advisable as it will be 120/4, which is 30, hence 31 points to win. I would advice a Scotch Double when 4 players are involve or 6 players will be really fun.

chalkisfree
04-08-2005, 11:48 PM
There is none I can find with Google, maybe I just didn't looked really really look hard enough.

All the balls total to 120 points, playing it with 3 is also good. First to 41 points wins. Playing it with four is not advisable as it will be 120/4, which is 30, hence 31 points to win. I would advice a Scotch Double when 4 players are involve or 6 players will be really fun.
It's a little trickier than that. Say I get 41. There are still 79 available points up for grabs between all three players. One of the other guys could still get past 41. You have to monitor the points in progress with three or more players.

I like your choice in tips by the way. :) I shoot with the exact same thing, get good grip and never mushroom.

parvus1202
04-09-2005, 12:47 AM
I found this one on another thread. I think it is an accurate explanation. It was from the BCA rules book. But you need to buy the book.
http://www.easypooltutor.com/postp58153.html