PDA

View Full Version : Just a forum suggestion

Texas Prez
10-30-2008, 06:36 AM
so earlier someone asked if the forum could add a newbie category. Instead of that, why not add a league category? I know there are a lot of leaguers but they often catch some hell in the forum. why not give them a section so they can discuss league play and league tournaments without bothering others and without being bothered?

Texas Prez
10-30-2008, 09:27 AM
....judging by the response I guess not

jrt30004
10-30-2008, 09:30 AM
i know i'd be o.k. with it.

Mike Templeton
10-30-2008, 09:41 AM
I think it's a great idea.

There are only around 10 zillion league players. I think I may want to cater to them.

Mike

supergreenman
10-30-2008, 09:47 AM
I think at a time when some are complaining of the so called "decline of pool" segregating and pigeonholing pool players of different sorts is counter productive.

I feel there are already too many individualized forums here and it makes it difficult to keep up with the various types of content people post.

That's my $0.02 CAN

Mr Hoppe
10-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Good idea. 250,000+ APA players alone. It also helps to categorize the content so that you can quickly find discussion of the topics that you're interested in.
Mr H

Texas Prez
10-30-2008, 10:13 AM
I think at a time when some are complaining of the so called "decline of pool" segregating and pigeonholing pool players of different sorts is counter productive.

I feel there are already too many individualized forums here and it makes it difficult to keep up with the various types of content people post.

That's my $0.02 CAN

But don't you see that so many sub-categories shows that there is not a decline in pool...its not so much segregating as creating a spot for them

- I'm a league player

btw not knocking you...great that you are being honest...just disagree

PoolsGold
10-30-2008, 10:23 AM
The last thing we need is another subsection - IMO.

I read several threads where many posters already complained there are too many and that is the very reason for the reduced number of good posts/threads in the main forum.

However, it is disheartening that people may not bring up a topic b/c they might get hell from others - that's shame.

Texas Prez
10-30-2008, 10:47 AM
I actually do agree there are too many subsets....maybe a reorganizing would be worth noting?

Here's an Idea that I'm just throwing out there, only show the major categories and by clicking on them show the subsets...making things a little more neet and tidy. Because right now it is cluttered if you don't know what you are doing. Just a suggestion...I have no problem with it now...just ideas

Main Category: (by clicking shows the following)
Main Forum
Tournaments and Announcements
League Discussion
TAR

CueSports Discussion: (by clicking shows the following)
Straight Pool
Nine Ball/8-Ball
Snooker
Carom

Cue Discussion: (by clicking shows the following)
For Sale/Wanted
Showroom
Cue Maintanence
Cue and Product Reviews

Industry Discussion: (by clicking shows the following)
Pool Hall Owners
Mechanic Talk
Cuemakers
New Products

Holly
10-30-2008, 10:49 AM
the subcatagories here are pragmatic. Mike H. Has fostered a forum that receives seriously over 2.5 million plus page views monthly. If we didn't have the catagories it truly would be chaos I think.

Snapshot9
10-30-2008, 11:45 AM
can be counter productive when too much is employed. As a person who designed and programmed major computer systems for various companies, I have had extensive experience with this.

In my opinion, the menu system currently is more specialized than it needs to be. I don't think that mechanics, room owners, 14.1, for example is needed.
Those are pretty well things that your average Pool player would normally be interested in, if nothing else, but to learn about them.

I have, quite frankly, found the main forum lacking in enough quality content lately to hold my attention very long, and I am talking something beyond the countless shaft and what is the best break/jump stick threads.

I only check NPR about once a month as I find the egos driving the countless Political discussions there intolerable.

poolplayer2093
10-30-2008, 11:53 AM
so earlier someone asked if the forum could add a newbie category. Instead of that, why not add a league category? I know there are a lot of leaguers but they often catch some hell in the forum. why not give them a section so they can discuss league play and league tournaments without bothering others and without being bothered?

you know i didn't used to think much of league pool but now that i've tried it for a season or two i really dig it. it's a blast and just about everyone you meet's cool

Texas Prez
10-30-2008, 01:56 PM
you know i didn't used to think much of league pool but now that i've tried it for a season or two i really dig it. it's a blast and just about everyone you meet's cool

Well I'm a youngin so I used to have zero preference because I didn't know they existed.... when I was younger all I ever heard of was APA...now I realize there are several different leagues and most of them are quite competitive....(personally a proponent of TAP :))