PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating switching tip on a 314-2

u32
10-30-2008, 10:28 AM
I was contempating switching to Kamui II soft or medium/soft from the stock everest. The reason I am thinking about is because of the following:
a) add more draw to my without having to dig down ad put too much juice on the CB. I also find I have to elevate my cue to get any draw.

b) Have a tip that keeps shape longer. I find I can go one month on an everest before I have to shape the tip again. This is also why I haven't thought about going to a moori medium because of the same problem (I owned a 314 at one point) . I find that I have to shape the moori more.

And yes I being lazy about shapping my cue ? ... but I find the best results I get is on a Lathe from a local proshop. But unfortunatly this proshop is out of the way. Never had luck with the ultimate tip tool or propers.

Any feedback will be helpfull thanks. And has anyone have an change moving from the sniper to a Kamui II tip ?

This 314-2 shaft came with the Willie Hoppe Predator cue... uni -lock which is my current daily player

shinigami
10-30-2008, 11:00 AM
If you find you have to elevate your cue to get any draw, then you might want to work on your stroke. Get a hard tip, work on your stroke...this way you'll have a tip that maintains its shape for longer, while getting more consistent draws. Not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to help~

scottjen26
10-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Would like to see comparisons between Everest and other tips as well, but my experience with the Everest tips has been good. I bought a Z2 about 7 or 8 months ago, just had it retipped with another Everest - second one actually, about 2 months in the layered tip just fell apart, the top two layers broke off leaving me with a flat tip. Predator fixed for free, no biggie.

I actually like the feel of the Everest - not too hard, not too soft, and I have not had to shape the tip at all, no mushrooming, and it holds chalk well until it gets well worn out. No problems with spin, and have tried the same tip on a 314-2 and can get the same amount of spin so it's not the shaft.

Since I had to get it retipped, I thought about trying something else, but this works so I stuck with the stock tip for now. But maybe, just maybe, the Kamui, Moori, Sniper, etc. is a little better...

Scott

u32
10-30-2008, 11:41 AM
No that's fair stroke is something I've been working on.

If you find you have to elevate your cue to get any draw, then you might want to work on your stroke. Get a hard tip, work on your stroke...this way you'll have a tip that maintains its shape for longer, while getting more consistent draws. Not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to help~

Deadon
10-30-2008, 12:55 PM
I have used both the Kamui and Everest on my 314/2s and Z2s and think they are very close in performance and maintaining their shape. There is no difference in either tip that will increase your ability to draw the ball. Work on your stroke.

FAST_N_LOOSE
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
I was contempating switching to Kamui II soft or medium/soft from the stock everest. The reason I am thinking about is because of the following:
a) add more draw to my without having to dig down ad put too much juice on the CB. I also find I have to elevate my cue to get any draw.

WORK ON YOUR STROKE, NOT THE TIP. ALSO FOR THE MOST ENGLISH YOU SHOULD BE USING A HARDER TIP. USING A SOFT TIP ON A LOW DEFLECTION SHAFT, IS ALSO A NO NO, IMO.

b) Have a tip that keeps shape longer. I find I can go one month on an everest before I have to shape the tip again. This is also why I haven't thought about going to a moori medium because of the same problem (I owned a 314 at one point) . I find that I have to shape the moori more.

ANY TIP THAT IS PROPERLY INSTALLED AND BURNISHED SHOULD BE EASY TO MAINTAIN. A POORLY INSTALLED SOFT OR MEDIUM SOFT TIP WILL BE A NIGHTMARE THOUGH.

And yes I being lazy about shapping my cue ? ... but I find the best results I get is on a Lathe from a local proshop. But unfortunatly this proshop is out of the way. Never had luck with the ultimate tip tool or propers.

GET A WILLARDS SHAPER FOR YOUR KEYCHAIN. THEY'RE CHEAP AND WORK GREAT, AND IT'S ALWAYS WITH YOU.

Any feedback will be helpfull thanks. And has anyone have an change moving from the sniper to a Kamui II tip ?

THIS ISN'T MEANT TO BE A SALE THREAD, BUT TRY A "WIZARD" TIP. EITHER M OR H, YOU'LL BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED. BUT IF I WAS CHOOSING BETWEEN A SNIPER OR A KAMUI, IT WOULD BE A PROPERLY BURNISHED SNIPER.

This 314-2 shaft came with the Willie Hoppe Predator cue... uni -lock which is my current daily player

NICE PLAYING CUE, I'VE HAD A COUPLE.

u32
10-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Thank you for giving some feedback. I will work on the stroke and not worry about buying anything at this time.

Pool Player
10-31-2008, 06:28 AM
WORK ON YOUR STROKE, NOT THE TIP. ALSO FOR THE MOST ENGLISH YOU SHOULD BE USING A HARDER TIP. USING A SOFT TIP ON A LOW DEFLECTION SHAFT, IS ALSO A NO NO, IMO.

Why is that so Sir!?

"T"
10-31-2008, 07:05 AM
I agree with what everyone has said about the stroke. The only thing I'd like to add is that this whole business about having to take the tip to a lathe every time you need to shape the tip is total overkill.

I have a Kamui soft on one shaft and a Sniper on the other (both 314-2's)and I really have to try hard to feel the difference. They are both great tips imo.

After a couple years of farting around with tip picks, sandpaper, etc, finally the system that seems to work the best without wearing down the tip too quickly, is to lightly rotate the tip in a Willard dime shaper a couple turns, or just until the entire surface of the tip has made enough contact with the shaper to scuff it evenly. I do this before playing and then maybe again after maybe 3-4 hours. I haven't used a tip pick in about 10 months and I've had these tips for about 8 months and they still less than 1/3 way to getting replaced. Honestly, I've been playing about twice a week lately (5-7 hours) so you can do the math.

Surprisingly, this hasn't worn down the tips as quickly as I originally thought it might, but this is what is working for me and after weighing all the pros and cons, everyone's got to find a system that they feel most comfortable with.

Good luck! :D

SCCues
10-31-2008, 09:57 AM
I do cue repairs (Hightower lathe) in my area and since I can install my own tips i've tried a lot of different tips over the years. I've used Moori Slow tips for a long time on my own cues.

I recently bought a used OB-1 shaft from a fellow AZer which had ring work installed by my cue maker to match my cue which made the shaft even nicer. I'd been wanting to try an OB-1 since I heard about them so I could compare it to the Predator shafts I play with.

The OB-1 shaft I bought came with a Sniper tip which I also wanted to try and I have to say that the OB-1 with a Sniper tip is one of the best playing shafts i've ever played with. I like the Sniper tip so much that I bought a couple to install on my Predator shafts so I can see how well they work on a Predator shaft.

James