PDA

View Full Version : How much does a national tourney cost?

Texas Prez
10-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Sorry guys I'm a little chatty tonight....but I actually have an semi-important question:

How much does it cost to set up a large scale tournament?

I ask because people have asked if Collegiate Nationals or Junior Nationals could be held here at UT and our rec room is far too small for something like that, but we might be able to rent out the Union Ballroom but would have to bring in tables like they do in various national tourneys....so does anyone know the cost of bringing in tables like that??

AzHousePro
10-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Typical cost with Diamond is around $200 per table with lights. Maybe more with the high price of gas right now.

They also need at least one hotel room for their tech to stay for the duration of the event.

Mike

Scott Lee
10-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Texas Prez...Just because you "want" to host the ACUI or BCA Jr. Nationals (held together these days), doesn't mean you'd be able to. If you want to get info from the "horse's mouth", talk to Betsy Sundholm, who is the national coordinator for these events. She can be reached at the Student Union, at the University of Michigan, in Ann Arbor.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Sorry guys I'm a little chatty tonight....but I actually have an semi-important question:

How much does it cost to set up a large scale tournament?

I ask because people have asked if Collegiate Nationals or Junior Nationals could be held here at UT and our rec room is far too small for something like that, but we might be able to rent out the Union Ballroom but would have to bring in tables like they do in various national tourneys....so does anyone know the cost of bringing in tables like that??

Texas Prez
10-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Texas Prez...Just because you "want" to host the ACUI or BCA Jr. Nationals (held together these days), doesn't mean you'd be able to. If you want to get info from the "horse's mouth", talk to Betsy Sundholm, who is the national coordinator for these events. She can be reached at the Student Union, at the University of Michigan, in Ann Arbor.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Thanks Scott but it wasn't that I want to... I was asked if I was able to. And yes I am in contact with Betsy...She is a great person and very under-appreciated IMO. Laura Smith from the BEF also asked me about what I am capable of doing here. Austin is a central location nationally and would work out a little better than Boulder, Colorado which it was held at a few years ago. Obviously Its not that easy...I just want to be informed.

Scott Lee
10-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Texas Prez...That's great that you're already talking to the right people. I got an email today from Laura, asking about potential schools that I know of. Before I read your response, I sent her a link to your thread! :thumbup:
Best of luck with your efforts. Interestingly enough, just a few years ago, I spoke, in person, with the people at your school, regarding doing an exhibition. There was zero interest then...:rolleyes: Hopefully things have changed for the better!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Holly
10-31-2008, 10:11 AM
The best person to talk to on this subject is Ric Jones of Bad Boy Billiards Productions (they work with Diamond). PM me if you would like Ric's phone number.

shayla
10-31-2008, 10:20 AM
That would be really cool to see something like that here in Austin. I don't know the first thing about these events, but why not contact a local pool hall? Fast Eddies has a ton of tables and they've hosted tournaments before. Unless, I guess you can't have something like this in a bar?

Let us know what pans out, I'd love to be a spectator.

Texas Prez
10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
That would be really cool to see something like that here in Austin. I don't know the first thing about these events, but why not contact a local pool hall? Fast Eddies has a ton of tables and they've hosted tournaments before. Unless, I guess you can't have something like this in a bar?

Let us know what pans out, I'd love to be a spectator.

This would be my first impulse too... Fast Eddies is soooo generous to us a we have worked with them several times before!

But because this is Collegiate, the big problem is smoking and alcohol. This is the biggest obstacle collegiate pool faces by far...I'm mean the facilities are there but because of these we have to find alternatives (which usually means us playing in a University recroom with only 8 tables (UNT))

Texas Prez
10-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Texas Prez...That's great that you're already talking to the right people. I got an email today from Laura, asking about potential schools that I know of. Before I read your response, I sent her a link to your thread! :thumbup:
Best of luck with your efforts. Interestingly enough, just a few years ago, I spoke, in person, with the people at your school, regarding doing an exhibition. There was zero interest then...:rolleyes: Hopefully things have changed for the better!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I totally hear you too!! If people don't play pool they don't understand....thats my job right now...I'm trying to make that transition and get people to realize the potential... it takes work and my best guess is a few years ago, the people here didn't want to put forth that not so secret ingredient