PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Jones and Strickland complete Team America for Mosconi Cup

Roy Steffensen
10-31-2008, 07:43 AM
I heard it through the grapevine that Jones and Strickland will be the last two players on Team America this year.

I am surprised that Corey Deuel and Charlie Williams were not picked.

But, this is still just a rumour, nothing confirmed yet...

HOB Weert
10-31-2008, 07:51 AM
No rumour, confirmed.

MH
HOB Weert

SpiderWebComm
10-31-2008, 07:52 AM
Eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarlllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cajunbarboxplyr
10-31-2008, 07:53 AM
Jeremy Jones???

He's a good shooter I admit but what has he done this year to deserve a spot? and moreso Strickland................

Who are the rest?

Roy Steffensen
10-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Jeremy Jones won the prestigous BCA Open

Roy Steffensen
10-31-2008, 07:55 AM
Team Europe:
Ralf Souquet
Tony Drago
Niels Feijen
Mika Immonen
Mark Gray

Team USA:
Johnny Archer
Shane Van Boening
Rodney Morris
Earl Strickland
Jeremy Jones

billbOK
10-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Jeremy Jones???

He's a good shooter I admit but what has he done this year to deserve a spot? and moreso Strickland................

Who are the rest?

Also made 3rd at the Predator 10 ball Championships just behind Drago and Bustamante

stikapos
10-31-2008, 08:17 AM
I smell another crunch of the US team. Earl has been working out, which means one of two things: 1) he's ready to play or 2) he's going to pop Tony Drago. With Niels about, I wouldn't think the latter was such a good idea.

tim

bfdlad
10-31-2008, 09:46 AM
I heard it through the grapevine that Jones and Strickland will be the last two players on Team America this year.

I am surprised that Corey Deuel and Charlie Williams were not picked.

But, this is still just a rumour, nothing confirmed yet...
Roy, I don't know about Jeremy but Earl is in for sure. I tried to confirm with JJ but got VM. I am looking forward to it.

Renegade
10-31-2008, 09:49 AM
I smell another crunch of the US team. Earl has been working out, which means one of two things: 1) he's ready to play or 2) he's going to pop Tony Drago. With Niels about, I wouldn't think the latter was such a good idea.

tim

you think earl can take drago? that guy's scary...kinda like out of the sopranos

akaTrigger
10-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Earl has said that he really enjoys playing with Jeremy and it's one of the best doubles teams he's ever played on. I hope JJ is on the team with him this year!

stikapos
10-31-2008, 10:06 AM
you think earl can take drago? that guy's scary...kinda like out of the sopranos
Well, I suppose the choice is tony drago or mickey tabb. And you know that she'll kick his A$$! All she has to do is give him a head butt and all of that hardened hair spray will knock him cold, while the shedding eye makeup blinds him for the rest of the event. Now there an idea. Celebrity death match in Malta. Where's the clay ????

tim

cajunbarboxplyr
10-31-2008, 10:08 AM
In that case I stand very much corrected lol...

blueridge
10-31-2008, 10:23 AM

I think Earl's the best fast shooter in pool. He's the only fast shooter I've seen whose stroke mechanics never seem to suffer. Other fast players occassionaly miss each shots or don't stroke good as a result of fast shooting, but I've never seen this happen with Earl.

Bigdogbret
10-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Whoever is responsible for putting Earl on the team over Corey should be shot! How can anyone think that Earl gives the USA a better chance of winning? Sounds like a TV ploy for ratings. More people will watch to see if Earl embarasses himself and his country like he did last year!

akaTrigger
10-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Whoever is responsible for putting Earl on the team over Corey should be shot! How can anyone think that Earl gives the USA a better chance of winning? Sounds like a TV ploy for ratings. More people will watch to see if Earl embarasses himself and his country like he did last year!

Are you saying Early can't win it for the US Team? He's one of the best players around. I think it's a good choice.

suckershot
10-31-2008, 10:47 AM

A ploy for TV ratings??? That might make sense if, relatively speaking, anyone watched pool. The audience for the Mosconi Cup, with or without Earl, is a relative drop in the bucket. The only people really watching pool are mostly the diehard pool fans; those people are probably watching no matter who is playing. And anyone who is not a diehard pool fan, are generally NOT watching no matter who is playing.

The TV ratings theory doesn't hold any water.

nathandumoulin
10-31-2008, 10:56 AM
As far as I' concerned, the TV ratings comment was not that far off the mark. Earle turns the whole thing into a soap opera. It may not be good for the game, but it's sure as hell fun to watch.

(I'm not saying it's a huge ratings jump...but it might contribute on a miniature scale)

blueridge
10-31-2008, 11:01 AM

Besides being a lot of fun to watch, Earl always plays good in the Mosconi Cup. There are so many talented players, it's pretty hard to put everybody on the roster who deserves one.

StevenPWaldon
10-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Seeing as how Earl has the best record of any competitor in the history of the Mosconi Cup, I think it's a legitimate decision to put him on the team.

Meezer Girl
10-31-2008, 11:53 AM
Seeing as how Earl has the best record of any competitor in the history of the Mosconi Cup, I think it's a legitimate decision to put him on the team.

Bingo - we have a winner

Thecoats
10-31-2008, 11:59 AM
How do you think Jeremy will fair against the relatively short shot clock? From what I have seen he is fairly slow.

-don

bfdlad
10-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Earl has said that he really enjoys playing with Jeremy and it's one of the best doubles teams he's ever played on. I hope JJ is on the team with him this year!
Yeah I asked Earl if he knew if JJ was on or not and he didn't know but said he hoped so.

bfdlad
10-31-2008, 12:20 PM
How do you think Jeremy will fair against the relatively short shot clock? From what I have seen he is fairly slow.

-don
I don't think he is as slow as Johnny. Johnny playes well in Mosconi.

wahcheck
10-31-2008, 12:22 PM
where will the competition be held?

bfdlad
10-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Earl is one of the only characters left in the sport right now. If he gets pissed off and wears his heart on his sleeve thats Earl. I know that Earl has done and said some things in the past that were probably not the right choices. I love pool, I love Archer, I love Hillbilly but I watched the final of the Carolina Open and I could hardly stand to watch as it was so boring and slow. I know that both the players would agree with me that it was not fun to watch. But if Earl had been playing would it have been more exciting?

bfdlad
10-31-2008, 12:31 PM
where will the competition be held?
Malta, Dragos Home town

akaTrigger
10-31-2008, 12:42 PM
Just heard from JJ - it's TRUE!!! Yay!!

9 ball
10-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Jones & Strickland IN

Credit Matchroom Sport:

MOSCONI Cup legend Earl Strickland is one of the final two American players to be picked for the 2008 event.

Strickland, along with Jeremy Jones, complete the US side that will be vying against Europe's best later this year in pool's most prestigious team competition.

Taking place at the Hilton Hotel, Portomaso, St Julians, Malta from December 11 to 14, the event features two five-man teams playing a series of singles and doubles matches over four days.

Strickland, 47, is playing in his 13th consecutive Mosconi Cup, a record for the event, and has won a fantastic 37 points from 56 matches.

'The Pearl' insists he will be back to his imperious best come December, having put the health issues that dogged him a few years ago very much behind him.

"I'm not just a pool player, I’m an athlete,” said an ebullient Strickland. “I’m running four miles every morning, doing 500 sit ups a day and practicing seven to eight hours a day.

"I'm a more intelligent player than most of these guys, I’m working hard and I think I’m close to being back to my very best.

"The Mosconi Cup is my kind of tournament and I’m looking forward to doing my best for the USA in Malta."

Despite his well-documented bust-ups at the Mosconi Cup, Strickland’s record in the event is the best of the 61 players who have participated in the competition in its 14 year history.

Joining Strickland, Johnny Archer, Shane Van Boening and Rodney Morris will be Jeremy Jones, who, at 36, will be making his seventh Mosconi Cup appearance. ‘Double J’ sports an impressive 16 wins from 28 starts and made his debut back in 1999 when the USA won 12-7 at the York Hall in London.

Jones has enjoyed a revival this year with a third place finish at the Predator International 10 Ball Championship back in May. Then in June, he followed that up with a long-awaited victory in the Generationpool.com Open in Charlotte.

These results and others were enough to propel the likeable Texan up to fourth in the BCA Points List and secure his Mosconi Cup spot.

Matchroom Sport Chairman Barry Hearn said: "In all the sports I have promoted over the years, aside from the boxer Chris Eubank, there has been no other sportsman who has got the public going more than Earl Strickland.

"Some love him, plenty hate him but he is one of the greatest players to have ever held a cue stick and when it comes to entertainment, he has few rivals.

"The Mosconi Cup has always been Earl’s playground – he won MVP honours in Las Vegas in 2005 – and when he’s on form, the Europeans will know all about it.

"Jeremy Jones has a great record in the event and it is gratifying to see him play his way back into contention. He completes a very strong looking American side and I am expecting a fierce battle in December."

This year will see the 15th running of pool’s answer to the Ryder Cup and the current score stands at 10.5-3.5 to the Americans, although they have not won the Mosconi Cup outright for the first time since 2005.

wahcheck
10-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Hopefully, the US team mates will prep Earl on the psych-baiting that may come with the Europeans in the stands.....it almost seems inevitable....although it doesn't seem to affect his pool-playing, it certainly causes embarrassing reactions sometimes, to say the least.....

But on second thought, I'm not sure what would be the proper response to those hecklers anyway.....seems like a no-win situation....

TXsouthpaw
10-31-2008, 12:50 PM
way to go JJ. Win it for Texas.

oh and the U.S :)

parvus1202
10-31-2008, 01:14 PM
Deuel is out? This is the best America can have? SVB and Scorpion, my fav, are the only legitimate monster players this year, o and Morris the rest of the team, I don't know.

Tom In Cincy
10-31-2008, 01:19 PM
http://www.azbilliards.com/2000tours.php

bfdlad
10-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Deuel is out? This is the best America can have? SVB and Scorpion, my fav, are the only legitimate monster players this year, o and Morris the rest of the team, I don't know.
You are right "YOU DON'T KNOW" I am from England and I know that the Euros have a strong team but you can't take anything away from this USA team.

cookie man
10-31-2008, 02:06 PM
The team has a very good captian in Nick Varner. Saw him at my local pool hall wed. night and he is looking forward to the Cup. He thinks if Earl is on his game the U.S. should win.

sascha
10-31-2008, 02:26 PM
is it sure that Varner is the Captain ? i didnt read anything about the captains yet..

justin.powell
10-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Go Earl.......

I am happy he got on. He can still play his best.

Bob Jewett
10-31-2008, 02:45 PM
A ploy for TV ratings??? That might make sense if, relatively speaking, anyone watched pool. ...
In some parts of the world the Mosconi Cup is carried live for the whole event. Evidently there are enough people watching to pay for the production of a very entertaining competition. I think TV in the US is broken.

poolcuemaster
10-31-2008, 02:58 PM
I am a very big Earl fan and have seen him play live a bunch of times, and I hope his teamates and captain can talk him out of the extra gloves and weights. But if he is practicing that way every day he will need to play with his pile of crap. I can remember also that Barry Hearn has always bet alot of money on Earl to win in the tournaments he ran, and it is likely him responsible for Earl being invited this year.--Leonard

ironman
10-31-2008, 03:59 PM

tim

Earl isn't going to take a pop at anybody. He may cry them to death.

Fast Lenny
10-31-2008, 04:21 PM
I am so happy Earl is on the team,without him the Mosconi Cup would be a bore and if you think the European fans hate him I dont believe it,if Earl was not there who would they heckle and abuse?I have not been to a Mosconi Cup but would like to go for the atmosphere mostly and the pool 2nd.USA!USA!USA! :grin-square:

The Beginner
10-31-2008, 04:35 PM
I will remove Double J and put Deuel instead...

vagabond
10-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Jeremy Jones???

Who are the rest?

Earl might be behind this strategic move in including Double J. I think it is a strategy by Earl who wants to get back at Ralph Soquet for his slow play. With his very slow play double J will shark Ralph Souquet::D :thumbup: :D

Nostroke
10-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry if this has been posted-From Stan James

Selection Price
USA 4/6
Europe 11/10

Tick the checkbox next to a price to move that selection

Anyone wanna give me those odds, Ill take a c note on Europe.

j2pac
10-31-2008, 07:32 PM
I hope Earl's behavior is better than last year. His sportsmanship was atrocious, it was disgraceful. No place for that type of behavior among professionals. JMHO.

punter
10-31-2008, 07:35 PM
Earl isn't going to take a pop at anybody. He may cry them to death.

Don't underestimate the cry!

suckershot
11-09-2008, 01:19 AM
In some parts of the world the Mosconi Cup is carried live for the whole event. Evidently there are enough people watching to pay for the production of a very entertaining competition. I think TV in the US is broken.

Good point....I stand corrected. I actually started to think about this afterward. I always forget that Matchroom Sport is good about putting this thing on TV in other parts of the world.

I still stand by my opinion of Earl's appearance hardly making much of difference either way (in terms of overall viewership), however.

stevemcqueen
11-09-2008, 05:20 AM
well i think, the mosconi cup would not be the same without earl! he is good entertainment value in both aspects in his antics and his pool skills, he is a legend! theres only 1 earl strickland! :)

hilla_hilla
11-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Earl is awesome! :thumbup:

I'd maybe take out Rodney and put in Corey. Not sure about JJ.

tjlmbklr
11-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Jeremy Jones???

Who are the rest?

They are both great pressure players. Let's just hope Strickland keeps his act together.

tjlmbklr
11-09-2008, 08:46 AM

I agree. But if I had to choose I would take Corey over JJ, and leave the Pearl...you never know what you'll get with him.

tjlmbklr
11-09-2008, 08:52 AM
I will remove Double J and put Deuel instead...

I agree. Deuels always a fav to win. Too bad it's not six players still as apposed to five now.