PDA

View Full Version : Table Light Question

Propaneking
10-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Picked up a classic table light from an old pool hall in St. Joe Missouri. The inside of the light was painted a nicotine yellow or its just yellow from nicotine. Should I repaint that white or a cream? The light has 2 6 foot florcent lights. What direction do I go. Thanks

Neil
10-31-2008, 08:23 PM

gnatnoop
11-01-2008, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=Neil]White will reflect more light. As to the direction, you are new here, and I assume new to pool. So, I will be nice. You put the light lengthwise to the table and centered over it.

Welcome to the forums.[/QUOTE

I'm not sure, but I took his comment of "which direction do I go" to relate to the color choices. Its interesting to try to communicate over the net sometimes..:grin:

gnatnoop
11-01-2008, 10:42 AM
White will reflect more light. As to the direction, you are new here, and I assume new to pool. So, I will be nice. You put the light lengthwise to the table and centered over it.

Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure, but I took his comment of "which direction do I go" to relate to the color choices. Its interesting to try to communicate over the net sometimes..:grin:

Neil
11-01-2008, 02:15 PM

Propaneking
11-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks. Nicotine Yellow will be replaced with a fresh clean coat of white. And yes, length wise was my safe choice.
It is going over a Brunswick Anniversary 1946. Stained the light to match the table wood. Routered the light to match the table aprons. Going to make a aluminum medalian to attach to the ceiling, weld a fat aluminum oval at a 45% or so angle down to the light, weld a plate to attach the light to at one end leaving the other end open. More or less a Z looking attachment. Polish the aluminum plate and oval to match the pockets of the anniversary. Retro funky slash modern.

Meezer Girl
11-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Have you tried cleaning it?

Nicotine will typically come off of a non-porous surface with just hot water & soap.

Would be nice to keep it in "original" condition if you can.

softshot
11-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Have you tried cleaning it?

Nicotine will typically come off of a non-porous surface with just hot water & soap.

Would be nice to keep it in "original" condition if you can.

you don't smoke... do ya?

old school year after year nicotine does not come off of anything easily..

I have a pair of glasses that i wore through the 90's and the glass is tinted yellow .. and remains yellow even after a dunking a a few different types of industrial solvents...

if soap and water is all you need ... go clean the windshei8ld of a heavy smokers car... you will probably need to use all of your vacation days to complete the task LOL

I finally quit.. I have been smoke free for nearly 2 weeks.. but those nicotine stains are forever..

JimS
11-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Krud Kutter is pretty good. Xenit also. It'll have to be pretty well cleaned up for the paint to stick.

Sounds like you've got the skills to make a pretty trick light. More power to ya.

help
11-02-2008, 08:33 AM

I have a pair of glasses that i wore through the 90's and the glass is tinted yellow .. and remains yellow even after a dunking a a few different types of industrial solvents...

if soap and water is all you need ... go clean the windshei8ld of a heavy smokers car... you will probably need to use all of your vacation days to complete the task LOL

I finally quit.. I have been smoke free for nearly 2 weeks.. but those nicotine stains are forever..
Good for you softshot, 2 weeks no smoking hang there..I know it's not easy I'm at around 8-10 weeks trying not to look back..Got to say after smoking everyday for over 30 years it's not easy, I do miss it but I got to do it the camels have caught up to me. Just wanted to say good luck and hang with it....What you say about cleaning nicotine is sure the truth. Now that I've looked up out of my fog it's on everything..

fish on
11-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Good for you softshot, 2 weeks no smoking hang there..I know it's not easy I'm at around 8-10 weeks trying not to look back..Got to say after smoking everyday for over 30 years it's not easy, I do miss it but I got to do it the camels have caught up to me. Just wanted to say good luck and hang with it....What you say about cleaning nicotine is sure the truth. Now that I've looked up out of my fog it's on everything..
I spent a portion of my electrical apprenticeship cleaning smoke and dirt stained office 2X4 light lenses and inside the fixtures .
The miracle solution was a little dish detergent in a strong ammonia laced water bucket!
note: use rubber gloves and do no mix with bleach!
It is easy and cheap and cleans best!

This was in the 60's when smoking was accepted. People smoked in all offices as well as hospitals believe it or not!
68-69 Vietnam in the field we were given free? sp packs when a PX was not available which included free cigs. etc.
I forget what else were inside these army issued field goodies!
I also don't remember what sp stood for also?
times sure changed!
try to clean the light but I would change the light itself with a energy efficient one t8 0r t5!
You can install in existing light box!
more light- less heat -less AC bill etc.

JimS
11-02-2008, 05:11 PM

Two weeks is a great start. Just don't let your guard down. There's an addicted little sh!t living in the back of your head just waiting for a chance to suggest maybe one won't hurt. Please don't let it happen.

Taking it one day at a time and you'll have a year before you know it.

Propaneking
02-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Finished my light and mounting bracket. Bracket made with aluminum. Light was customized to look like the table.

Cuebuddy
02-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Nice pictures and nice table. Oh the light is way cool also.:thumbup: