PDA

View Full Version : inside pool magazine

camargored
04-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Does anyone know whats up with inside pool .I havent goten a mag for a few months now .The 800# is no longer in service.I have called and left several messages and no response .Has the best pool mag (IMO0 gone out of business? :confused:

Bruce S. de Lis
04-09-2005, 02:33 PM
It use to be sold at Barns & Noble Book Store, and has not been on the shelves in months?

PoolTemptress
04-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know whats up with inside pool .I havent goten a mag for a few months now .The 800# is no longer in service.I have called and left several messages and no response .Has the best pool mag (IMO0 gone out of business? :confused:

some representatives were at valley forge selling subscriptions, so they should still be in business. :)

landshark77
04-09-2005, 08:07 PM
Go to the IP fourm and look under ask the staff forum. They have placed contact info there. Good luck.

MrLucky
04-10-2005, 07:23 AM
some representatives were at valley forge selling subscriptions, so they should still be in business. :)

Sadly just because they were "selling" subscriptions is not a guarantee they will be printing the mag !

they recently started charging $1 for what was previously a free download of old issues that in itself is not a problem but coupled to the simultaneous complaints from so many about undelivered issues and much more serious post about undelivered ordered merchandise (cues and even pool tables) from their Mall I would be hesitant to prepay for anything till these issues are resolved! Having said all of that I love the mag and the forums and sincerely hope that this is some kind of temporary system glitch! :cool:

christopheradam
04-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Sadly just because they were "selling" subscriptions is not a guarantee they will be printing the mag !

they recently started charging $1 for what was previously a free download of old issues that in itself is not a problem but coupled to the simultaneous complaints from so many about undelivered issues and much more serious post about undelivered ordered merchandise (cues and even pool tables) from their Mall I would be hesitant to prepay for anything till these issues are resolved! Having said all of that I love the mag and the forums and sincerely hope that this is some kind of temporary system glitch! :cool:

They should just be more honest and less secretive. Instead of deleting every post with a hint of negativity about them, they should have just made a public statement about what the problem was with late subscriptions and mall problem. People can understand when other people run into problems, we just don't like being lied to (directly or indirectly) and not know what is going on.

I think the ability to download the magazine for free could have really helped them in this whole problem situation. They could have allowed subscribers to download the mags while they ironed out the subscription issues, but they go and charge a buck for them. Now I know a buck is not much money. But if you pay the annual subscription fee and end up paying $1 every month to download the mag too, that adds a lot to the subscription price. They should just charge non-subscribers the cover price to download the mag and let subsribers have it for free.

I love the magazine too and don't want to see them to go under. But lately I notice a huge drop in IP forum posting. Think it has to do with the deleting of posts. Reasonable deletion of posts for foul language or similair abuse is just. But if you delete my post and its something I took the time to say and I don't use foul language or say something totally untrue, then you don't have right to delete it and I am going to take my posting elsewhere.
Really doesn't make sense to delete it anyway since, as you can see, the posters who got deleted just went to the other forums to post their concerns :).

The Railbird
04-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Sounds like I would definitely make sure the money was posted on the light if I was gambling with anyone from the magazine.

The Railbird
04-12-2005, 03:23 PM
http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide/cust_reviews__mid--80107.html

Purdman
04-12-2005, 03:58 PM
http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide/cust_reviews__mid--80107.html

They called me a week before VF and wanted me to renew my subscription. I told them to go ahead and renew and they asked me to give them my CC #. I told em I didn't give it out over the phone. They did everything they could think of to try and get the #. Told me it was a special deal and I would pay more at VF. No way Jose.
What I have done in the past is e mail the first 12 digits and give the last 4 on the phone. I have done this with several cuemakers. No Problems.
Purdman

Jersey
04-12-2005, 04:31 PM
I recently ordered from their Mall...simple order for Joint Protectors...charged me $21.45...sent e-mail confirmation of shipment via USPS...a month later no merchandise...over three weeks of calling, sometimes with no answer at all!...what kind of business these days doesn't have some kind of pbx with menu options?...I haven't gotten a simple no answer in over 10 years!...then once in a while I'd get pushed to an individual persons voicemail!?...finally got a person, informed them I had purchased and been billed for merchandise that I had yet to receive...didn't even phase her...she just sent it to some other dept to cancel and apply a credit?...still haven't received the credit though!...It's a shame Inside Pool is probably the best Pool Mag out there...well they lost me... :mad:

Mr. Wilson
04-13-2005, 05:35 AM
I had a problem with them not too long ago.

Through their mall, I ordered a cue case. Looked ok and the price was fair enough.

By and by...the case didn't arrive. I had paid on the spot using Paypal, which was their chosen method.

I got tired of waiting and when I checked on the order, it still showed it was unshipped. I called them and by the time they were finished passing me around, I'd had opportunity to look for the case elsewhere.

Finally, I spoke with someone and got a song and dance. I told them I at least wanted them to eat the shipping, which they promptly refused.
We had further conversation about why they didn't bother to call me or email me and say the item was back-ordered....but they took my money without comment.

I told the woman on the phone that while all this was going on I had fopund the same case at another vendor for less, so she could cancel my order.

Days later, my account still had not been credited.

Another phone call.

This time I was angry. Didn't take long for more songs and dancing.
I was told some crap about since I had placed my order after hours...etc...etc.. they could not immediatly refund my money.

I had Paypal open in another window already and was quick to inform her that it had been paid via paypal at something like 3 pm on a friday and NOT after hours etc.

She went on to tell me that the refund would likely take a couple of weeks, as they had some kind of comittee that needed to "review" my "refund".

I pretty much went off on her and made sure that she fully understood that if I did not have the funds back in my account through Paypal by days end, I'd file a formal complaint with Paypal.

They DID see it my way finally.

Cuestore.net filled that order with a smile and everything is peachy :D

Dave

MrLucky
04-13-2005, 05:37 AM
I recently ordered from their Mall...simple order for Joint Protectors...charged me $21.45...sent e-mail confirmation of shipment via USPS...a month later no merchandise...over three weeks of calling, sometimes with no answer at all!...what kind of business these days doesn't have some kind of pbx with menu options?...I haven't gotten a simple no answer in over 10 years!...then once in a while I'd get pushed to an individual persons voicemail!?...finally got a person, informed them I had purchased and been billed for merchandise that I had yet to receive...didn't even phase her...she just sent it to some other dept to cancel and apply a credit?...still haven't received the credit though!...It's a shame Inside Pool is probably the best Pool Mag out there...well they lost me... :mad:

Ive heard here and on other sites the Fury Cues is / was a partner of Inside Pool which would make sense since they seem to push Fury Cues but does anyone know this for sure ? :confused:

Koop
04-13-2005, 06:11 AM
Did you guys receive the issue with Efren Reyes on the cover? Seems strange because I got this one last month and the poolhall I go to has a bunch of them.

Koop

catscradle
04-13-2005, 06:33 AM
What I have done in the past is e mail the first 12 digits and give the last 4 on the phone. I have done this with several cuemakers. No Problems.
Purdman

That is a really smart idea and I will remember that. Thanks.

Roscoe
04-13-2005, 06:45 AM
Sounds like Inside Pool is doing the big hustle.

Roscoe

onepocketchump
04-13-2005, 06:58 AM
Sterling Gaming, the exclusive distributer of Fury Cues, is not now, nor has ever been in any partnership with either the Inside Pool magazine or mall. The only relationship is that of customer/supplier.

John Barton
Sterling Gaming

Zims Rack
04-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Sterling Gaming, the exclusive distributer of Fury Cues, is not now, nor has ever been in any partnership with either the Inside Pool magazine or mall. The only relationship is that of customer/supplier.

John Barton
Sterling Gaming
John,
Can you email me your contact phone number or a personal email?
michael@zimsrack.com

Thanks,
Zim

onepocketchump
04-13-2005, 08:45 AM
John Barton
Sterling Gaming
704-821-1010
john@sterling-gaming.com

Mike Templeton
04-13-2005, 09:40 AM
They called me a week before VF and wanted me to renew my subscription. I told them to go ahead and renew and they asked me to give them my CC #. I told em I didn't give it out over the phone. They did everything they could think of to try and get the #. Told me it was a special deal and I would pay more at VF. No way Jose.
Purdman
Hey Purd,

My luck. They called me for a new subscription as well, and I re-upped. They gave me the "special deal" story as well. I gave them my cc info over the phone. I hadn't heard about the magazine's financial situation at the time. Hopefully it won't come back to bite me in the anus.

Mike

ScottTaylor
04-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Setting things Straight
My name is Scott Taylor. I am the President of Sterling Gaming, Inc. We are a manufacturing distributor of billiards supplies. We currently supply, in addition to "traditional" brick and mortar establishments, many online stores. Generally, a customer of ours (such as InsidePOOL.com) will promote our products, take an order from a customer, then send that order to us for fulfillment. Most items ordered this way from most of our customers ship out the same day, then we bill our customers (the reseller) weekly. Each day we ship hundreds of orders to hundreds of players on behalf of dozens of online suppliers.

We are the exclusive dealer of Fury Cues in North America. Fury is a partnership between three distributors and a manufacturer. Our company, as part of the arrangement with the other three companies, is responsible for the marketing and promotion of the brand.

Neither Sterling Gaming, Inc. nor Fury Cues have ANYTHING to do with InsidePOOL or InsidePOOL.com, except for being an advertiser in the magazine, and being a supplier for the website. We have NEVER had any equity position in InsidePOOL, despite rumors that were floating around a few years ago, and ones that have recently surfaced.

It is true that in InsidePOOL's early days, JR Calvert moved to Charlotte where we could help consult him on certain aspects of business in general (I personally helped him set up his subscriber database, while my wife Heidi - of "Slippy Powder" fame - helped him with his accounting.) JR introduced us to a lot of his previous dealers from when he was a distributor for Falcom, and helped us out in other similar ways. After spending several months together, helping each other to grow, JR moved back to Pennsylvania, and we were both better off for having had the experience together. Note that this "I scratch your back" thing simply WAS NOT financially related! JR has made for himself the best billiards magazine in the industry in my opinion, but he did that without any financial backing from us. He deserves all the credit for that.

Now, currently, I do believe from what I see that InsidePOOL may be having, at a minimum, some growing pains. It should be made quite clear that JR himself is again fully responsible for the situation he is in.

I believe that there will continue to be speculation on these boards about the future of InsidePOOL, but those of you who have been around since its inception in (I think) January of 2001 know that there has ALWAYS been such talk. Time and time again, the magazine ships each month. Most of you will agree that it is a great magazine, and worth the wait. JR is a good friend of mine, yet I do not always agree with some of the decisions he makes. However, I have grown to know that you can never count him out! There once was a time, back around June of 2002, when I'd have placed a bet against the magazine surviving through the rest of the year. That was a bet I would have lost, and I'm not so foolish to ever place a similar bet. When you have the best product on the market, it is hard to fail.

Regarding Fury Cues, I would like to thank Kay and Jennie and whomever else for saying the nice things you have about our cues. Despite our marketing efforts, though, it still seems that some people are a little confused about the cues themselves. Yes, our DL line of Fury cues retails for $115. Yes, this is a decal cue. NO, this is not your "typical" decal cue. Take a good look at a friend of yours' Fury DL. You will note that the shaft wood is some of the nicest maple you'll see on any cue under about $500. This includes your Vikings, your Falcons, your McDermotts, and so on. The materials, craftsmanship, construction, and hit of the cue are all quality. Sure, the DL's are made with decals. Guess what? That helps to reduce the price of a cue, ensuring that a player can spend their money on a quality hit over quality doo-dads. We do offer high-end cues with some of the finest inlays you've ever seen, designed by Kaz Miki of Mezz Cues (high-end Japanese cue maker -- and don't forget that a huge number of American-made custom cues go to the Japanese market!) To any that would question a Fury, all I have got to say is pick one up and hit with it, without prejudice.

To further set the record straight, when players like Rodney Morris, Keith McCready, José Parica, Francisco Bustamante, Ramil Gallego, Shane Sinnott (former sales manager and 8-year employee of Predator Products), Kelly Fisher, and so on tell me that our cues feel great in their hands, I'm going to take that at face value. There have been so many others, amateurs and pros alike, that have made me feel so good about the products we create.

Now, about the whole "name change" thing. When these cues were first designed and created, the name was "Rage". After they were introduced in Japan at a show, a shrewd competitor of ours decided to throw a monkey wrench in the works by registering the trademark here in the United States. Well, for those of you unfamiliar with intellectual property law, in order to federally register a trademark, that mark must have been used in interstate trade for one year. This is not something that must be proved to the US PTO, so our competitor was able to "sneak it through". Unfortunately, there is a "presumptive" aspect of IP law, which means that it is presumed that someone having a trademark has it legitimately, making it more difficult to fight. Although I feel we could have waged a legal war to retake the name "Rage", it would have meant spending a lot of time and money that could be used to promote a different name altogether. Since only a handful of these original Rage cues had been sold, it was no big deal to change the name. The most reluctant person to make the change was Gregory Koblenz of Dynamic Billiard in Germany, since he had already heavily advertised the Rage name. Anyway, we convinced him to go along with the name Fury, which I actually personally preferred! I do not know what things you are mentioning as far as "foreign websites" go, but I'd like to see what you are referring to so I can aid in setting the record straight there, too.

I'm sure I missed some things, so please poke me again and I'll respond. I do not regularly check these boards, but send an email to me at "scott at sterling dash gaming dot com" and I'll respond either by email or on the board itself.

Thanks to all of you that have been supporters of our company and our many brands. We appreciate you very much.

By the way, might I suggest ordering from cuesight.com (http://www.cuesight.com) ? I can personally guarantee that you won't have problems there, or that any problems would be quickly and professionally resolved to your fullest satisfaction.

Purdman
04-13-2005, 10:58 AM
That is a really smart idea and I will remember that. Thanks.

You are welcome. I ain't as dumb as I look. :D
Purdman :cool:

Scott Lee
04-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Scott...Thanks for the call, and helping me clear up some misunderstanding. I apologize to you personally, and to all the posters here and on the CCB who read my post associating Inside Pool with Sterling Gaming.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

merylane
04-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Hey Purd,

My luck. They called me for a new subscription as well, and I re-upped. They gave me the "special deal" story as well. I gave them my cc info over the phone. I hadn't heard about the magazine's financial situation at the time. Hopefully it won't come back to bite me in the anus.

Mike

me too :( same story :confused:

Wally in Cincy
04-13-2005, 01:28 PM
me too :( same story :confused:

i guess i'm lucky, i only sent them a check for $14.95 last week, no credit card numbers LOL

lakemifurytour
04-13-2005, 01:33 PM

I can send you my copies of March and April if you would like.... :D

KBP
04-14-2005, 01:03 AM
Setting things Straight
My name is Scott Taylor. I am the President of Sterling Gaming, Inc. We are a manufacturing distributor of billiards supplies. We currently supply, in addition to "traditional" brick and mortar establishments, many online stores. Generally, a customer of ours (such as InsidePOOL.com) will promote our products, take an order from a customer, then send that order to us for fulfillment. Most items ordered this way from most of our customers ship out the same day, then we bill our customers (the reseller) weekly. Each day we ship hundreds of orders to hundreds of players on behalf of dozens of online suppliers.

We are the exclusive dealer of Fury Cues in North America. Fury is a partnership between three distributors and a manufacturer. Our company, as part of the arrangement with the other three companies, is responsible for the marketing and promotion of the brand.

Neither Sterling Gaming, Inc. nor Fury Cues have ANYTHING to do with InsidePOOL or InsidePOOL.com, except for being an advertiser in the magazine, and being a supplier for the website. We have NEVER had any equity position in InsidePOOL, despite rumors that were floating around a few years ago, and ones that have recently surfaced.

It is true that in InsidePOOL's early days, JR Calvert moved to Charlotte where we could help consult him on certain aspects of business in general (I personally helped him set up his subscriber database, while my wife Heidi - of "Slippy Powder" fame - helped him with his accounting.) JR introduced us to a lot of his previous dealers from when he was a distributor for Falcom, and helped us out in other similar ways. After spending several months together, helping each other to grow, JR moved back to Pennsylvania, and we were both better off for having had the experience together. Note that this "I scratch your back" thing simply WAS NOT financially related! JR has made for himself the best billiards magazine in the industry in my opinion, but he did that without any financial backing from us. He deserves all the credit for that.

Now, currently, I do believe from what I see that InsidePOOL may be having, at a minimum, some growing pains. It should be made quite clear that JR himself is again fully responsible for the situation he is in.

I believe that there will continue to be speculation on these boards about the future of InsidePOOL, but those of you who have been around since its inception in (I think) January of 2001 know that there has ALWAYS been such talk. Time and time again, the magazine ships each month. Most of you will agree that it is a great magazine, and worth the wait. JR is a good friend of mine, yet I do not always agree with some of the decisions he makes. However, I have grown to know that you can never count him out! There once was a time, back around June of 2002, when I'd have placed a bet against the magazine surviving through the rest of the year. That was a bet I would have lost, and I'm not so foolish to ever place a similar bet. When you have the best product on the market, it is hard to fail.

Regarding Fury Cues, I would like to thank Kay and Jennie and whomever else for saying the nice things you have about our cues. Despite our marketing efforts, though, it still seems that some people are a little confused about the cues themselves. Yes, our DL line of Fury cues retails for $115. Yes, this is a decal cue. NO, this is not your "typical" decal cue. Take a good look at a friend of yours' Fury DL. You will note that the shaft wood is some of the nicest maple you'll see on any cue under about $500. This includes your Vikings, your Falcons, your McDermotts, and so on. The materials, craftsmanship, construction, and hit of the cue are all quality. Sure, the DL's are made with decals. Guess what? That helps to reduce the price of a cue, ensuring that a player can spend their money on a quality hit over quality doo-dads. We do offer high-end cues with some of the finest inlays you've ever seen, designed by Kaz Miki of Mezz Cues (high-end Japanese cue maker -- and don't forget that a huge number of American-made custom cues go to the Japanese market!) To any that would question a Fury, all I have got to say is pick one up and hit with it, without prejudice.

To further set the record straight, when players like Rodney Morris, Keith McCready, José Parica, Francisco Bustamante, Ramil Gallego, Shane Sinnott (former sales manager and 8-year employee of Predator Products), Kelly Fisher, and so on tell me that our cues feel great in their hands, I'm going to take that at face value. There have been so many others, amateurs and pros alike, that have made me feel so good about the products we create.

Now, about the whole "name change" thing. When these cues were first designed and created, the name was "Rage". After they were introduced in Japan at a show, a shrewd competitor of ours decided to throw a monkey wrench in the works by registering the trademark here in the United States. Well, for those of you unfamiliar with intellectual property law, in order to federally register a trademark, that mark must have been used in interstate trade for one year. This is not something that must be proved to the US PTO, so our competitor was able to "sneak it through". Unfortunately, there is a "presumptive" aspect of IP law, which means that it is presumed that someone having a trademark has it legitimately, making it more difficult to fight. Although I feel we could have waged a legal war to retake the name "Rage", it would have meant spending a lot of time and money that could be used to promote a different name altogether. Since only a handful of these original Rage cues had been sold, it was no big deal to change the name. The most reluctant person to make the change was Gregory Koblenz of Dynamic Billiard in Germany, since he had already heavily advertised the Rage name. Anyway, we convinced him to go along with the name Fury, which I actually personally preferred! I do not know what things you are mentioning as far as "foreign websites" go, but I'd like to see what you are referring to so I can aid in setting the record straight there, too.

I'm sure I missed some things, so please poke me again and I'll respond. I do not regularly check these boards, but send an email to me at "scott at sterling dash gaming dot com" and I'll respond either by email or on the board itself.

Thanks to all of you that have been supporters of our company and our many brands. We appreciate you very much.

By the way, might I suggest ordering from cuesight.com (http://www.cuesight.com) ? I can personally guarantee that you won't have problems there, or that any problems would be quickly and professionally resolved to your fullest satisfaction.

Scott,
Great post and I'm glad you came aboard. As you know I love Fury cues :D and have since before we got together with the tour. I will back your product 100% and I know you are aware of that. I appreciate your post and look forward to a long business relationship. No thanks are necessary for me posting positive things about Fury. Hands down its one of the best playing cues for the money i have seen in awhile. I love working with Sterling Gaming on the Fury Tour and we are still growing. I was glad to see you at Allen Hopkins wish I could have stayed one more day but had to get back to the tour. Hope to see you again soon.
Kay