PDA

View Full Version : Metro, Centurion, or Olhausen Pro

StatMan
04-11-2005, 06:54 AM
Of the Brunswick Metro, Brunswick Centurion, and Olhausen Pro, which is the better quality table for home use?

scout
04-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Of the three... All will be comperable in play. You said for "Home Use", the Centurion and Pro lack any degree of style other than looking like a commercial table. The Metro adds an element of contemporary style. It's what you'll see (and your friends will recognise) in any number of Professional level tournaments from ESPN, etc. If you are looking for a cool, moden design with the playability of the best tournament level tables. Go Metro.

drivermaker
04-15-2005, 02:08 PM
Of the Brunswick Metro, Brunswick Centurion, and Olhausen Pro, which is the better quality table for home use?

I think this is a good time for using the best system out there to make decisions of this magnitude.....Eenie-meenie-miney-moe, catch a ............

vapoolplayer
04-15-2005, 03:34 PM
I think this is a good time for using the best system out there to make decisions of this magnitude.....Eenie-meenie-miney-moe, catch a ............

this is how great minds think people :rolleyes: :D

VAP

bobroberts
04-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Take a look at a Connelly,I think that is spelled wrong but they make great home tables.

Tablemechanic
04-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Go buy a Diamond Pro, they are the best table that you can get here. Pm me if you are interested in finding out more about them. Out of the tables you looked at I would recomend the Metro.

Steve

mechanic/player
04-15-2005, 06:51 PM
id go with the metro or the olhausen,i do the tables for the local brunswick dealer and have done several of the metros/centurion.they have the same frame as the gold crown minus the built in levelers,use the same slate and cushions,the legs on both are adjustable but the metros are of better quality then the centurion and in my opinion the metros are a little more friendly to the eye.

ceebee
04-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Go buy a Diamond Pro, they are the best table that you can get here. Pm me if you are interested in finding out more about them.

Steve

There is a Diamond Pro on ebay for $3000, look in the completed items, it did not sell.

StatMan
04-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the info. I've been leaning toward the Metro (because of the look) but I wasn't sure if they all had the same playability.

ceebee
04-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I've been leaning toward the Metro (because of the look) but I wasn't sure if they all had the same playability.

Statman, my humble opinion says you should "practice on the same kind of pool table", that you will be competing on, if competition is your goal. It's obvious that you can't have a bunch of pool tables, but your local haunts have a certain brand & therein might be your choice.

However, if you are looking for some game room furniture or a home activity room furniture, buy what you like, just don't buy without researching your wants & needs.

Pool Tables are easy to buy & hard to sell. If you end up with something you aren't pleased for the long run, you will be disappointed.

StatMan
04-18-2005, 07:55 AM
OK, now I've discovered that I can get a new 9' Kasson Vermilion for $3000. The Metro will be around $4500. Now what do I do?

By the way, the table is for home use, but it will be in my basement. And although looks are something I'm considering, my main priorities are a high quality table, and something that will stand up to the abuse my 7 and 10 year olds will inflict upon it.

drivermaker
04-18-2005, 08:44 AM
OK, now I've discovered that I can get a new 9' Kasson Vermilion for $3000. The Metro will be around $4500. Now what do I do?

By the way, the table is for home use, but it will be in my basement. And although looks are something I'm considering, my main priorities are a high quality table, and something that will stand up to the abuse my 7 and 10 year olds will inflict upon it.

The Brunswick Metro for the basement....and invisible fence for the tykes.

http://invisiblefence.com/product_solutions/indoor/index.asp

ceebee
04-18-2005, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE=StatMan]OK, now I've discovered that I can get a new 9' Kasson Vermilion for $3000. The Metro will be around $4500. Now what do I do?

OK Statman, let me give it to you straight.

If you buy a new Pool Table, kiss half of your investment good bye at purchase time. If you buy a used Diamond Pro, for $3000 or so, your money has been put into a quality investment, almost like a savings account. It's not as easy to withdraw, but the principle will not wither away in time.

If you don't buy a real good table, you have accomplished nothing, but having a big piece of low quality furniture & a Pool Table that isn't the best for practicing bank shots and position play. The roll of the table & the bounce of the cushions are what gives a table characteristics for banking. That is the arena that needs practicing & that is the main gripe about cheap tables, they don't play like the tables downtown.

By the way, just about any pool table, that is fairly level, can be used to shoot balls into a pocket.

Most tables use MDF (medium density fiberboard) in their construction. MDF isn't a bad quality material, especially when compared to OATMEAL BOARD, but it is not real wood construction. Maybe you can't even buy real wood construction anymore.

A good used or refurbished (if you want something shiny) Gold Crown or a Diamond Pro is your best investment. However, a great Brunswick Centennial or Anniversary model is even better.

You also have to think about the type of cloth you choose, that affects everything about your new table.

Good Luck in your quest.

Tablemechanic
04-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Go find a good used Diamond Pro. They are the best table made for players. I have worked on most tables and the Diamond is the best made. You do not have to change the pocket size. The rubber on the new Brunswicks go bad after a few years. The Diamond is all wood. Metros have funny sized rails and huge pockets.