PDA

View Full Version : Why a 10 ball tour won't work (IMO)

AceHigh
04-12-2005, 11:38 AM
- Like many others have said, the game takes longer, and the average viewer may become bored watching.

- Too many safeties. The average viewer wants to see players running out.

- I hear a lot of complaints that there is no one, dominant male player. Every 9ball tournament, every person there has a chance to win. With a 10ball tour, would this change?

Personally, I enjoy the game. I don't understand all the *****ing about the racks in 9ball.

APA9
04-12-2005, 11:45 AM
That's because you probably don't play at a high enough level for the rack to mean anything.

vapoolplayer
04-12-2005, 02:02 PM
That's because you probably don't play at a high enough level for the rack to mean anything.

now there's an idea..........

VAP

sjm
04-12-2005, 03:58 PM
I reckon the average fan would find nineball and ten ball about the same in entertainment value. As that is the case, and serious players seem to agree that ten ball reduces the importance of the break in a desirable way, I'm fine with switching games.

Nonetheless, whatever it would take to sell a nineball tour to the paying customer and TV viewer, it will take exactly the same with a ten ball tour. As history has shown, it's a pretty tough sell.

lewdo26
04-12-2005, 05:33 PM
I just wanted to chime in on the beef with 9 ball. There are two separate issues that usually get mixed up in debates over the game. One issue is whether 9 ball is a legitimate test of skills. The other issue is its marketability. So, I'd say 10 ball, being a tougher game, might reward better players more often than 9 ball does in tournaments. But, does that imply the game will enjoy some kind of popular appeal from the TV audience? I *seriously* doubt it.

The difference between 9 and 10 ball are practically nil with the lay person. They may notice that the balls are racked differently, but both games are just as foreign.

Celtic
04-12-2005, 06:03 PM
I made a long post on the 9-ball/10-ball poll just now on the second page that goes over what I think about this arguement for 9-ball as the proper game for Joe Public. Suffice to say I totally disagree with all points.

chefjeff
04-13-2005, 06:02 AM
I just wanted to chime in on the beef with 9 ball. There are two separate issues that usually get mixed up in debates over the game. One issue is whether 9 ball is a legitimate test of skills. The other issue is its marketability. So, I'd say 10 ball, being a tougher game, might reward better players more often than 9 ball does in tournaments. But, does that imply the game will enjoy some kind of popular appeal from the TV audience? I *seriously* doubt it.

The difference between 9 and 10 ball are practically nil with the lay person. They may notice that the balls are racked differently, but both games are just as foreign.

tap tap tap

Jeff Livingston

JustPlay
04-13-2005, 07:24 AM
Ace,

I totally disagree with you! No one watches pool no matter what game is being played except players and retires and the players leave to play golf and the retires fall to sleep. 10-Ball is just as good as any other pool game.

Let the truth be known! The only pool game on tv ever worth watching is the skins game period. Its the closes thing to any excitment that the public would be interested in watching as well as other players or enthuiest of pool would watch as well. It involves alot of money constintly changing hands at any given point and the stakes are more than any US tournament offers (including 1st place).

Gremlin is 100% correct in his statment of pool on tv. It just doesn't draw in the viewers in the US....And unless the stakes are high (dollars) it will never pull in viewers, it will always be a "filler".

9-ball / 10-ball / one pocket or straight pool - it just doesn't matter as tv is concerned. Tournaments with different games other than 9-ball would peak the interest of most players. Look how 1-pocket made a come back since 1999 (DCC)!

Nostroke
04-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Let the truth be known! The only pool game on tv ever worth watching is the skins game period. Its the closes thing to any excitment that the public would be interested in watching as well as other players or enthuiest of pool would watch as well. It involves alot of money constintly changing hands at any given point and the stakes are more than any US tournament offers (including 1st place).

Gremlin is 100% correct in his statment of pool on tv. It just doesn't draw in the viewers in the US....And unless the stakes are high (dollars) it will never pull in viewers, it will always be a "filler".

9-ball / 10-ball / one pocket or straight pool - it just doesn't matter as tv is concerned. Tournaments with different games other than 9-ball would peak the interest of most players. Look how 1-pocket made a come back since 1999 (DCC)!

Does anyone have any ratings on the Skins? I know or think i remember the WPBA used to draw 1.8 million viewers per show in it's best years and that it dropped to around 400K about 3 years ago and that is last i heard. Who got the figures now for skins/upa/Wpba?

Teacherman
04-13-2005, 07:39 AM
Ace,

I totally disagree with you! No one watches pool no matter what game is being played except players and retires and the players leave to play golf and the retires fall to sleep. 10-Ball is just as good as any other pool game.

Been watching too many ladies matches.

Teacherman
04-13-2005, 07:40 AM
...There are two separate issues that usually get mixed up in debates over the game. One issue is whether 9 ball is a legitimate test of skills. .

You're joking right????

Please use that brain before you speak.

Wally in Cincy
04-13-2005, 07:41 AM
...Who got the figures now for ........Wpba?

I read (several times) WPBA draws between 500K and 750K, depending on time of day, a bit more when Jeanette is playing.

don't know about the rest

bsmutz
04-13-2005, 05:18 PM
You're joking right????

Please use that brain before you speak.
No, he's not joking and you should use your brain before you speak (or maybe your eyeballs and mouse hand in connection with said brain). If you look at any thread on any bulletin board about this subject you will find several people who think that 9-ball is not as legitimate a test of skill in a tournament as one-pocket or straight pool, for instance. Many people think that the only reason 9-ball is the game of choice is because of the speed at which it is played and the subsequent audience attention factor.

chefjeff
04-14-2005, 06:23 AM
No, he's not joking and you should use your brain before you speak (or maybe your eyeballs and mouse hand in connection with said brain). If you look at any thread on any bulletin board about this subject you will find several people who think that 9-ball is not as legitimate a test of skill in a tournament as one-pocket or straight pool, for instance. Many people think that the only reason 9-ball is the game of choice is because of the speed at which it is played and the subsequent audience attention factor.

There were two separate things that lewdo26 discussed: 9-ball skill and 9-ball marketing. Not 9-ball skill vs. other games' skill. This is why I tap tap tap 'ed lewdo 26's post. He made the distinction and it got confused somehow after that.

Now back to your posts, have a nice day, cheers, :), etc.,

Jeff Livingston

RAZOR ROG
04-14-2005, 08:09 AM
Ace,

The reason no one watches is that ESPN usually pre-empts it for a %&$* baseball game or a cheerleading competition. (Well the cheerleading isn't always that bad)

CaptainJR
04-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Ace,

In my experience I've brought up pool in conversations lots of times outside of the pool circle. There is almost always someone in the crowd that says they watch it on TV. I really do think it is going to come around. It may not come as quickly as poker, but I think it will get there.

One reason that I think it will get there is people are more and more into reality. The days of people watching 'The Brady Bunch' type of show is over. They want something more intense or competitive.

Danny Harriman
06-03-2005, 01:19 PM
The rack is why Du ie the wing balls,soft break, three balls past the side,you must not be a strong player but I undersztand why 10-ball is better and so do 90% of all pro's.

SkippyFL
06-03-2005, 01:24 PM
The Florida Seminole Pro tour is currently playing 10 ball.

Skippy

Danny Harriman
06-03-2005, 01:28 PM
I believe you have a great point and only the players understand the difference as far as marketing capabilities seperating these games does not make any difference.

14.1player
06-03-2005, 01:42 PM
10 ball, deep shelves, triple shimmed pockets.... The public need to see a game that is difficult, so that they can appreciate it on a higher level.

gromulan
06-03-2005, 02:03 PM
10 ball, deep shelves, triple shimmed pockets.... The public need to see a game that is difficult, so that they can appreciate it on a higher level.

Hear hear! The biggest issue with televised pool is that the pockets are the size of watermelons. If they tightened them up to something resembling professional standards the game would be much more enjoyable to watch. The way things are now it takes more effort to miss a ball than it does to make it.

Travis Bickle
06-03-2005, 07:35 PM

You think anybody but hardcore fans wants to see the pros MISS? Just about as much as folks want to watch scoreless draws in Serie A or the Bundesliga, probably!

lewdo26
06-04-2005, 01:08 AM
You think anybody but hardcore fans wants to see the pros MISS? Just about as much as folks want to watch scoreless draws in Serie A or the Bundesliga, probably!This is my former roommate (never hit a ball) watching Mike Sigel's 150 and out, and I quote: "He makes it looks so easy, it gets boring after a while." This is the response of soccer fans in a 250,000 capacity stadium when a player misses the goal by a hair, and I quote: "oooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I understand that these are very different sports, involving very different human capabilities, but the "easy makes popular" logic doesn't hold and the evidence is everywhere to see.

cheemagun
06-04-2005, 01:42 PM
10 ball with texas express rules, at least a race to 11, or somthing like best out of 3 races to 7, or best out of 5 to 5. I think with that the top pros will rise up over the rest. and that way the majors will be harder to win and will show a true champion.

As for espn. i dont even like watching the pool matches they have. what is there to watch when the dude wins the first rack.. commercial break. comes back to some boring ass commentary. and the dude breaking is all of a sudden up 4-1 or some shit. we want the excitment of the few **** ups. or a nice saftey battle. or the guy string 3 racks together. and what about a semifinal or championship match of a major tournament cut down from race to 11 to a race to 7?????? a race to 7 is too short for pros in a MAJOR tourney period. :mad: look at star sports. they present it well as i have said in another thread. they show every rack. not every match in the tournament.. but every rack of the set they are showing.

o yea.. no buckets either. like those ugly metros in the wpc. gc4 regulation pockets at least. the ones that can barely fit 2 balls in.