PDA

View Full Version : Tips on head/upperbody alignment

mnShooter
04-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Lately I've been having a hard time seeing shots when I am down on a shot. The only time I feel confident is when I use a long bridge. Maybe I just cannot get down far enough with a shorter bridge. If I do my head is tilted forward so much it's as if I'm looking through my eyebrows. I've tried bending my knees but that doesn't seem to help.

If I have to shoot a shot close to the rail I cannot tell where I am aiming. This is partially due to the rail being in the way and also due to the fact that I cannot get the cue ball/object ball in the same frame of reference(I cannot see them both at the same time). Any tips?

Also has anyone noticed that most pros seem to have their back shoulder aligned with their head? My back shoulder is much more to the right of my head. Can this cause problems?

vapoolplayer
04-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Lately I've been having a hard time seeing shots when I am down on a shot. The only time I feel confident is when I use a long bridge. Maybe I just cannot get down far enough with a shorter bridge. If I do my head is tilted forward so much it's as if I'm looking through my eyebrows. I've tried bending my knees but that doesn't seem to help.

If I have to shoot a shot close to the rail I cannot tell where I am aiming. This is partially due to the rail being in the way and also due to the fact that I cannot get the cue ball/object ball in the same frame of reference(I cannot see them both at the same time). Any tips?

Also has anyone noticed that most pros seem to have their back shoulder aligned with their head? My back shoulder is much more to the right of my head. Can this cause problems?

i haven't see you play, so i'm just guessing from what i've read..............sounds like you have more of a square stance........like a snooker player.

maybe you should change your feet as well.

hard to tell on an online forum............find and instructor.

thanks

VAP

christopheradam
04-12-2005, 02:29 PM

Do you stand with your feet more parallel to the line of the shot or more facing the shot?
If you stand more parallel to the shot, you may see the shot better with a more frontal facing of the shot.

Do you keep your arm bent or straight?
A bent left arm(bridge arm) may help you do keep your head more aligned.

christopheradam
04-12-2005, 02:50 PM
hard to tell on an online forum............find and instructor.

VAP

That can be good advice but not always.
1. If the instructors in your area aren't very good, your better off without them.
2. Money$ is tight these days. Gas prices are $2.40 a gallon around here!
3. Time commitment to see an instructor is not always possible.
4. Some people enjoy figuring things out for themselves.
5. Traveling to an instructor is possible, but again the $$$ factor.

I've never been to an instuctor but an very open to it. I may do some research someday to find the best instructor I can get. I have done a little research in my area for instructors and have yet to find anyone that in my opinion would be helpful to my game(I'm very picky). Sure, anyone can look at me and say, "this aint straight" and "this is not inline" but I need more than that if I am going to put down my hard earned money.

Stretch
04-12-2005, 03:01 PM

Here are some tips that might help for your alignment on those tricky close to the rail angle shots. First lay your cue on the rail in line with the shot while standing up. Then build your stance comfortably around the cue. This does two things. It sets your cue up while your standing and have a better perspective of the angle invloved. Secondly it prevents you from crowding the cue ball which is a dendency for rail shots.

Another thing that you might look at is the cueing action you use with rail shots. Most people strike down on the cue ball when it's close to the rail. Moreso at least than when they are comfortably bridging in the middle of the table with a level cue at least. This will put unwanted swerve on the cueball and spoil many shots unless your absolutely dead nuts centre, hard to do. So work on bridge holds that enable you to lay the cue flat on the rail as level as possable.

Next, the stroke. With your bridge hand on the rail and the cueball close to the rail you don't have a whole lot of stroke. Fear not! even a two inch backswing is plenty enough to send the cue ball anywhere on the table, with accuracy! The trick is to shorten the followthrough acordingly. That is 2 in. backswing, 2 in. followthrough. 4 in. backswing 4 in. followthrough, 50/50.

Hope some of this helps. St.

vapoolplayer
04-12-2005, 03:19 PM
1. If the instructors in your area aren't very good, your better off without them.
5. Traveling to an instructor is possible, but again the $$$ factor.

I've never been to an instuctor but an very open to it. I may do some research someday to find the best instructor I can get. I have done a little research in my area for instructors and have yet to find anyone that in my opinion would be helpful to my game(I'm very picky). Sure, anyone can look at me and say, "this aint straight" and "this is not inline" but I need more than that if I am going to put down my hard earned money.

of course this goes without saying................find a qualified instructor............if you're not committed enough to find one and travle if you have to.........you're not committed enough to get better than an A player.

VAP

drivermaker
04-12-2005, 04:29 PM
I cannot get the cue ball/object ball in the same frame of reference(I cannot see them both at the same time).

How in the hell can you not see the CB and OB both at the same time? How tall are you?

vapoolplayer
04-12-2005, 04:30 PM
How in the hell can you not see the CB and OB both at the same time? How tall are you?

3 ft 2...........and he's standing on a box to see over the table........the cue ball looks too big to see around from his vantage point............LOL

i agree, if you can't see both............you're in deep shit.

VAP

Jon
04-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Maybe this is an optical focus problem :D

mnShooter
04-13-2005, 07:36 AM
I read my initial post and it does seem kind of vague. I don't think I'll be able to figure this out on the forum

I think I'll go see an instructor and maybe tape myself so I can see for myself what my problems are.

I just had laser surgery and my eyes are 20/15 now (better than normal) so it shouldn't be a problem with my vision.

The problem with rail shots is that I cannot get my head down far enough. Kinda like an over the ball shot. The stick is in the way. BTW I'm 6'0".

Teacherman
04-13-2005, 07:43 AM
5. Traveling to an instructor is possible, but again the $$$ factor...

Whaaaaaaaaaa. Suck it up or shut it up.

EL'nino
04-13-2005, 08:49 AM
I never laughed so hard at a post in my life TAP TAP TAP