PDA

View Full Version : Inside Pool on it's last legs

Keith Rudman
04-12-2005, 06:42 PM
I was at the BCA Trade Show last week. I confronted The Inside Pool people on where my subscription was. They gave me some cock and bull story regarding having postal problems. I did some further investigation to find out that someone from the Fury gang was the support system for Inside pool magazine. Apparently his ties have been severed and if you order merchandise from the inside pool site, you may as well be flushing your hard earned dollars down the john. They are done, they owe their printer and have lost staff. I have read that they will not return calls, they delete concrete messages from concerned loyal customers and seem to be oblivious to what is going on around them. If inside pool is done and Fury is the one who did the backing, where does that leave Fury? Is Fury done too, or are they just sick of throwing good money after bad? I am interested to know if any of the people who advertise with them have been contacted and if so have they been informed of the end of the magazine? Keith

Purdman
04-12-2005, 06:50 PM
I was at the BCA Trade Show last week. I confronted The Inside Pool people on where my subscription was. They gave me some cock and bull story regarding having postal problems. I did some further investigation to find out that someone from the Fury gang was the support system for Inside pool magazine. Apparently his ties have been severed and if you order merchandise from the inside pool site, you may as well be flushing your hard earned dollars down the john. They are done, they owe their printer and have lost staff. I have read that they will not return calls, they delete concrete messages from concerned loyal customers and seem to be oblivious to what is going on around them. If inside pool is done and Fury is the one who did the backing, where does that leave Fury? Is Fury done too, or are they just sick of throwing good money after bad? I am interested to know if any of the people who advertise with them have been contacted and if so have they been informed of the end of the magazine? Keith

What a dam shame!
Don P.

pooltchr
04-12-2005, 07:05 PM
I am not in any position to comment on the status of IP, but Fury is a major player in the cue business, and continuing to get stronger in the market. They make a great cue at a great price. Expect them to be around for a long time.

Jack Flanagan
04-12-2005, 07:15 PM
JMHO, not throwing flames, but Fury cues are way overpriced in relation to other imported cues,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

TheGoldenChild
04-12-2005, 07:22 PM
I ordered a cue from them on march 13 and still have not got it. I've call them and left messages, but they have not returned my calls. The cue was only a hundred dollars, so I do not fell so bad. On the internet they say it was shipped on March 23 Via USPS. I have called my credit card company and told them about the situation this way they can not take anymore money out of my account with out me knowing, best to be on the safe side of things. I wish I had known about this before I purchased the cue. Peace Out TGC.

KBP
04-12-2005, 08:03 PM
I have been doing business with Fury for several years and have never had a problem with ordering or getting shipments. There must be something wrong somewhere. I picked up Fury as the title sponsor of my amateur 9-ball tour a few years back and its because of how they had always treated me very well. I cannot speak about IP because I do not know how they are affliated if at all. If there is anything you think I can do to help please feel free to email me at kbp_amateur9-ball@gate.net or give me a call at 877-328-7449. I don't know if there's anything I can do but I will give it a shot. I believe in Fury and their products. I have never had any trouble with them and are very pleased with our affliation.
Thanks
Kay

cueman
04-12-2005, 08:49 PM
JMHO, not throwing flames, but Fury cues are way overpriced in relation to other imported cues,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I am not a fan of most imported cues, but in Fury's defense their upper end cues have real inlays, unlike most other imports which are strictly decals. That helps explain much of the price difference. Fury and Lucasi seem to be some of the best among high production imports. But I would pick a Viking over either for a little more money. I play the Fury tour and talked to them about their cues. Their real inlaid cues seem to be built better all the way through than their lower end decal cues.
Chris
www.internationalcuemakers.com
www.hightowercues.com

KBP
04-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Chris,
It was good to see you at the Ga event and then again at Allen Hopkins.

The difference in the Fury cues is the lower priced starting at $115 are decals, the midrange has decals and inlays and the upper range has all inlays. For the price they are a good cue.

To Jack Flanagan,
The Fury Cues are at an excellent price considering the quality you are getting and are far from overpriced from what I've seen on the market. I am not just saying this because they are my sponsor. They have great cues. I love my Fury and put all my other away because I liked the feel when it hit a ball. I love the durability of the cue and they stand behind their product.
Kay

Jack Flanagan
04-12-2005, 09:44 PM
won't argue the point,,,yes I will !,,,,decal cues starting at $115 ??,,,check out the competition and open your eyes,,,,have read a lot more on cue brands than the average person,,,see if Fury will tell you what brand name their cues in Europe had before they had to change them to 'Fury',,,,and why were they cheaper in Europe (yes I know the exchange rates well),,,bit of history behind the name change,,,I read German and Dutch reasonably well,,,

yes, I spend way too much time on foreign websites,,,news is presented with different slants in other countries,,,

no-sho
04-12-2005, 10:41 PM
won't argue the point,,,yes I will !,,,,decal cues starting at $115 ??,,,check out the competition and open your eyes,,,,have read a lot more on cue brands than the average person,,,see if Fury will tell you what brand name their cues in Europe had before they had to change them to 'Fury',,,,and why were they cheaper in Europe (yes I know the exchange rates well),,,bit of history behind the name change,,,I read German and Dutch reasonably well,,,

yes, I spend way too much time on foreign websites,,,news is presented with different slants in other countries,,,

Well you've sparked my curiosity, what brand was it?

No-sho

Jack Flanagan
04-12-2005, 11:05 PM
no,,, I want the 'Fury fan' to see if any truth will come out,,,she probably is unconcerned and asleep,,,will not have another thought about it,,,when I was searching for a production cue line to stock and sell, I went well beyond a catalog and the American distributor of these cues....it's been close to two years since sterling-gaming/Fury cues changed their European cue name.......

stay tuned for more suspense,,,,,,corporate "America" is a twisted game of name changers,,,,I'm not the only person cruising the net, discovering weird things.

JimS
04-13-2005, 03:31 AM
Was Inside Pool selling the April issue at the Vegas BCA show?

My friend, who paid about $1200 for an ad directing people to his booth, was pretty upset that the April issue did not reach subscribers before the show was held.

KBP
04-13-2005, 04:08 AM
no,,, I want the 'Fury fan' to see if any truth will come out,,,she probably is unconcerned and asleep,,,will not have another thought about it,,,when I was searching for a production cue line to stock and sell, I went well beyond a catalog and the American distributor of these cues....it's been close to two years since sterling-gaming/Fury cues changed their European cue name.......

stay tuned for more suspense,,,,,,corporate "America" is a twisted game of name changers,,,,I'm not the only person cruising the net, discovering weird things.

You have tried to make a mountain out of a mole hill. What is the big deal. I like the Fury cue. I don't care about the political stuff. I am not unconcerned or asleep. If I find a cue I like then who cares what the name was before. Yes I know they changed the name but companies do that off and on. For example: I have, over the years, seen toys come out with one name. Change a little something and be called something else 10 -15 years later with a different price. Ex; A item you put on one ankle with a sting attached with a ball thingy that looked like a lemon. Called it lemon twist. The next time I saw it the color was different and it was more of a round shape instead of lemon and it had a different name. Same thing. You do spend too much time on the foreign sites and looking up items. I figure you for someone who likes to see people stirred up and you post the wierd stuff for your own pleasure. I'm done with this. I've got what I like and I believe in the product.
Kay

JAM
04-13-2005, 04:39 AM
I am no cue expert, by any means, but I do get out and about and see what folks are playing with. :p

FWIW, a few years ago, Keith was playing with a Schon cue, one which he had been using for quite some time. Always tweaking and looking for a "magic cue," he kept getting adjustments made to the Schon, but never seemed to be able to get it to respond the way he liked. :(

After the '02 U.S. Open, Jose Parica was staying with us for a few weeks while we were attending some tournaments on the East Coast. He was on the Fury Team at that time and was playing with a Fury cue.

One day at a regional tournament, Keith was disgusted with his Schon, after having whittled it down to a toothpick! :rolleyes: Jose offered to let Keith use his Fury cue, stating that he may like the way it hit. With nothing to lose, Keith put Jose's Fury cue into play, and he, too, liked the way it hit and responded to his "feels," whatever they are. :p

When it was time for Jose to go back to California, he let Keith keep the Fury cue because it was working for him. A few weeks later, Francisco Bustamante made a cameo appearance on the then-Falcon Cue Tour in Sterling, Virginia. Keith ended up beating Bustie in the finals with his Fury cue, winning the tournament. Several people asked Keith what he was playing with, and when he told them it was a Fury cue, a couple of them decided to purchase one and are still playing with a Fury to this day. BTW, Bustie ended up winning $25,000 several days later at the $25,000 Challenge exhibition at ESPN Zone in Baltimore!

Although I believe it is the player, not the cue, that snatches the almighty win, I have not met one person who is a Fury cue owner that has been dissatisfied. There are quite a few Fury cue pool players in my neck of the woods. :)

JAM

MrLucky
04-13-2005, 04:57 AM
I am no cue expert, by any means, but I do get out and about and see what folks are playing with. :p

FWIW, a few years ago, Keith was playing with a Schon cue, one which he had been using for quite some time. Always tweaking and looking for a "magic cue," he kept getting adjustments made to the Schon, but never seemed to be able to get it to respond the way he liked. :(

After the '02 U.S. Open, Jose Parica was staying with us for a few weeks while we were attending some tournaments on the East Coast. He was on the Fury Team at that time and was playing with a Fury cue.

One day at a regional tournament, Keith was disgusted with his Schon, after having whittled it down to a toothpick! :rolleyes: Jose offered to let Keith use his Fury cue, stating that he may like the way it hit. With nothing to lose, Keith put Jose's Fury cue into play, and he, too, liked the way it hit and responded to his "feels," whatever they are. :p

When it was time for Jose to go back to California, he let Keith keep the Fury cue because it was working for him. A few weeks later, Francisco Bustamante made a cameo appearance on the then-Falcon Cue Tour in Sterling, Virginia. Keith ended up beating Bustie in the finals with his Fury cue, winning the tournament. Several people asked Keith what he was playing with, and when he told them it was a Fury cue, a couple of them decided to purchase one and are still playing with a Fury to this day. BTW, Bustie ended up winning $25,000 several days later at the $25,000 Challenge exhibition at ESPN Zone in Baltimore!

Although I believe it is the player, not the cue, that snatches the almighty win, I have not met one person who is a Fury cue owner that has been dissatisfied. There are quite a few Fury cue pool players in my neck of the woods. :)

JAM
I personally have not played with a fury cue ! which brings me back to the original post LOL! (its amazing the twist and turns post take on this site) I won a Fury cue from inside pool a few weeks ago and as far have not received my cue ! now I am sure for those unfortunates that are complaining that they have ordered cues / cases and a few reported Pool tables my problem is a moot one but besides inuendo and rumor does anyone really know if the problem is the pull out of Fury as a backer of the mag and its Mall or is it just growing pains or what???? :confused:

KBP
04-13-2005, 05:44 AM
I have a several phone calls and emails on this issue with IP and Fury. I do not know the answer. I own Kings Bay Promotions Amateur 9-Ball Tour, which is known as Fury Amateur 9-Ball Tour since they are my title sponsor. I have no information on who else they are involved with. I am sure if anyone has not received any items from them it is because everything is selling so fast their stock is low. As far as IP. It covers a lot of my events and is a magazine which I feel is worth reading. All the industry mags are all really good on covering events. Fury staff are great people and I will back what I believe in. It was my choice as to who my sponsor is and I did a lot of research on it before I made my decision. I did it on their reputation and product along with the offers that were given me. Since we have teamed up I have not been disappointed and my players have commended me on my decision. There's a lot when you run a tour the size of mine in what you decidee and a lot of people watching you. I am very pleased with my decision and think the staff at Fury are absolutely a great bunch. I had the chance to work closely with some of them at the Fury Booth at Allen Hopkins and had a great time. They treated me with respect and commended me for my help with the booth and the work I do on the tour. They also picked out nicknames for my 74 year old Mom who travels with me on promotional events. Just thought I'd put me 2 cents in......looks more like 5 cents.
Kay

Shorty
04-13-2005, 06:18 AM
IP sucks...I am so disappointed in my subscription. I have been a subscriber for over a year and I may have got 4 magazines total. Now I did move during that time period, and I submitted my address move to them, but my subscription has been sporadic to say the least. When they called at Christmas time to ask me to renew I did, I even renewed with a 3 year subscription! So far, I have been getting the magazine, but in my opinion wayyyyyy after the fact. I mean come on, my latest issue has Efren on the front and is about DCC...which happened what, four months ago now? Even with publishing times, I still think this is unreasonable.

And as far as there "Mall" is concerned, I bought a predator shaft there once and got it rather promptly, only to find out I way overpaid for it...but lesson learned there. They did deliver the product promptly and I am still shooting with the shaft today. That was almost a year ago, you think with my order they would of figured out my address move eh?

Now on to Fury, in my opinion, and this is reading a BOATLOAD of websites and groups, they make a VERY good product for the money. I think people just often forget, you get what you pay for. If you are expecting an 800 dollar cue for 200 bucks, you may need to shop elsewhere. But if you want a great hitting cue for around 200, then Fury is highly recommend in my book. Just depends on the person and the way they play...a cue has to be fitted to the person...not the person fitted to the cue. I remember my first cue that wasn't a walmart special was a Crystal Leisure, and I loved that cue. It had a nylon wrap, was black with white cut outs...and hit great, but I was the laughing stock of the pool room nearly. Since then I have been through probably over 100 cues, and I settled on a Schon. You will have to pry that Schon out of my cold dead hands to get me to get rid of it...period. I do have other cues I tinker with, but when the money is down or I am in a tourney, my baby comes out a smokin'.

Now here is my idea...and bear with a short fella on this one. What if we had an electronic magazine, published monthly. Full tournament results and schedules across the country. Full articles from some of the pros or veterans in the pool playing world. Maybe just four or five articles a month. Maybe even have a different drill each month for players to try. Maybe even discuss APA, UPA, whatever-A and the ins and outs of their respective tours. Would people be willing to pay 5 bucks a month to subscribe to this? We could even have the newsletter to be both an email and a login so people could look back over older issues. Now we would also need sponsorship, from say the big pool sellers such as Mueller or Seyberts or both...heck...the problem I see is we are diversed in the pool world, and anything we can do to combine it all and make it more universal would strengthen the game of pool and its popularity. To me pool has been such a "what about me?" sport that has stressed the individuality of the game so much, stretched it so thin, that it will never be able to grow and prosper like other sports. If we notice, big sports are on a downfall. Ice hockey has lost popularity, basketball as well...baseball will be next due to the steroid controversy. Why not take advantage of this weakness in those sporting areas and let's capitalize on it?

Hmmm just a midget thinking after a cup of coffee...guess they should cut me off eh?

Shorty

chefjeff
04-13-2005, 06:31 AM
It seems to me that if you used a fury cue, all that fur would get in the way of the stroke...unless you shaved it regularly. :)

Jeff Livingston

vapoolplayer
04-13-2005, 06:32 AM
I have a several phone calls and emails on this issue with IP and Fury. I do not know the answer. I own Kings Bay Promotions Amateur 9-Ball Tour, which is known as Fury Amateur 9-Ball Tour since they are my title sponsor. I have no information on who else they are involved with. I am sure if anyone has not received any items from them it is because everything is selling so fast their stock is low. As far as IP. It covers a lot of my events and is a magazine which I feel is worth reading. All the industry mags are all really good on covering events. Fury staff are great people and I will back what I believe in. It was my choice as to who my sponsor is and I did a lot of research on it before I made my decision. I did it on their reputation and product along with the offers that were given me. Since we have teamed up I have not been disappointed and my players have commended me on my decision. There's a lot when you run a tour the size of mine in what you decidee and a lot of people watching you. I am very pleased with my decision and think the staff at Fury are absolutely a great bunch. I had the chance to work closely with some of them at the Fury Booth at Allen Hopkins and had a great time. They treated me with respect and commended me for my help with the booth and the work I do on the tour. They also picked out nicknames for my 74 year old Mom who travels with me on promotional events. Just thought I'd put me 2 cents in......looks more like 5 cents.
Kay

Kay, i think that when someone said that they haven't recieved their cue............there were referring to the INSIDE POOL STORE.......and not sterling/fury itself.

i could be wrong, but i have heard that the IP store is super slow...........i don't think they were talking about sterling not sending their cue.

thanks

VAP

no-sho
04-13-2005, 07:57 AM
It seems to me that if you used a fury cue, all that fur would get in the way of the stroke...unless you shaved it regularly. :)

Jeff Livingston

Well it should stay nice and warm in the winter!

No-sho

Jersey
04-13-2005, 08:02 AM
Thats regretable, about Inside Pool...I guess I'm just screwed out of $22!...as for Fury, they are a product of Sterling Gaming, ie Sterling makes Fury, so I would venture to guess given Sterling's size and industry position, Fury will live through the IP failure. BTW I own a Fury cue, got it for $88 bucks, decent cue for that price...it is one of their lowest line the 'DL' series...put a hard tip on it for breaking...

MrLucky
04-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Thats regretable, about Inside Pool...I guess I'm just screwed out of $22!...as for Fury, they are a product of Sterling Gaming, ie Sterling makes Fury, so I would venture to guess given Sterling's size and industry position, Fury will live through the IP failure. BTW I own a Fury cue, got it for $88 bucks, decent cue for that price...it is one of their lowest line the 'DL' series...put a hard tip on it for breaking...

.....Are not connected ! it seems the issues with IP and its mall are 1 in the same but the only connection to Fury is that the mall sells a lot of them! ...

X IP employee
04-13-2005, 10:16 AM
I have a several phone calls and emails on this issue with IP and Fury. I do not know the answer. I own Kings Bay Promotions Amateur 9-Ball Tour, which is known as Fury Amateur 9-Ball Tour since they are my title sponsor. I have no information on who else they are involved with. I am sure if anyone has not received any items from them it is because everything is selling so fast their stock is low. As far as IP. It covers a lot of my events and is a magazine which I feel is worth reading. All the industry mags are all really good on covering events. Fury staff are great people and I will back what I believe in.
Kay

Please listen to what I have to say before you guys all jump me. I as well as a few other employees recently resigned from the InsidePOOL company.

There is a lot going on there, that I won't begin to mention. I will, however, give you some of the truths to the questions raised on this forum.

"Fury will live through the IP failure"
STERLING GAMING IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH INSIDEPOOL. They are one of the shipping departments, but it ends at that.

There is no "financial backing" behind the owner of the company. No other companies are affiliated with IP. The InsidePOOL magazine, as well as the web mall, and insidepool.com are all ran from one office, as well as Definitive Synergy (insidepool.com's sister site)

"you think with my order they would of figured out my address move eh?"
The magazine subscriptions and the web orders are ran from seperate departments. Well, USED to be.

There was also a post at the beginning of this that stated about losing most of the staff. This is also true. Alot of people have resigned, and with the other information that is stated by other posters in this form, I will let you come to your own conclusions as to why they have.

Bob Jewett
04-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Was Inside Pool selling the April issue at the Vegas BCA show?

My friend, who paid about $1200 for an ad directing people to his booth, was pretty upset that the April issue did not reach subscribers before the show was held.
That's not the way it usually works for magazines and the Trade Show, in my experience. The magazines are distributed free at the entrance to the Trade Show. The April issue of Inside Pool was among the magazines this year. Some of the magazines have a complete listing of the booths at the Show. Often the magazines are fresh off the presses and may not even have been mailed out yet -- I think it depends on their publishing schedule. I also saw JR and Sally at the Trade Show (last weekend) taking pictures and doing interviews as usual.

The April issue of Inside Pool has Marcus Chamat on the cover.

deadstroke32
04-13-2005, 10:36 AM
I have been doing business with Fury for several years and have never had a problem with ordering or getting shipments. There must be something wrong somewhere. I picked up Fury as the title sponsor of my amateur 9-ball tour a few years back and its because of how they had always treated me very well. I cannot speak about IP because I do not know how they are affliated if at all. If there is anything you think I can do to help please feel free to email me at kbp_amateur9-ball@gate.net or give me a call at 877-328-7449. I don't know if there's anything I can do but I will give it a shot. I believe in Fury and their products. I have never had any trouble with them and are very pleased with our affliation.
Thanks
Kay

Were r all the fury tourments in Ga .i see all over but nothing realy in GA ..??? What is going on ? Not that many players playing from Ga ..I have no info on tour but what i see after a tournment ..so is the tour over in Ga ..?????
U know who ...

ScottTaylor
04-13-2005, 10:47 AM
.....Are not connected ! it seems the issues with IP and its mall are 1 in the same but the only connection to Fury is that the mall sells a lot of them! ...

Setting things Straight
My name is Scott Taylor. I am the President of Sterling Gaming, Inc. We are a manufacturing distributor of billiards supplies. We currently supply, in addition to "traditional" brick and mortar establishments, many online stores. Generally, a customer of ours (such as InsidePOOL.com) will promote our products, take an order from a customer, then send that order to us for fulfillment. Most items ordered this way from most of our customers ship out the same day, then we bill our customers (the reseller) weekly. Each day we ship hundreds of orders to hundreds of players on behalf of dozens of online suppliers.

We are the exclusive dealer of Fury Cues in North America. Fury is a partnership between three distributors and a manufacturer. Our company, as part of the arrangement with the other three companies, is responsible for the marketing and promotion of the brand.

Neither Sterling Gaming, Inc. nor Fury Cues have ANYTHING to do with InsidePOOL or InsidePOOL.com, except for being an advertiser in the magazine, and being a supplier for the website. We have NEVER had any equity position in InsidePOOL, despite rumors that were floating around a few years ago, and ones that have recently surfaced.

It is true that in InsidePOOL's early days, JR Calvert moved to Charlotte where we could help consult him on certain aspects of business in general (I personally helped him set up his subscriber database, while my wife Heidi - of "Slippy Powder" fame - helped him with his accounting.) JR introduced us to a lot of his previous dealers from when he was a distributor for Falcom, and helped us out in other similar ways. After spending several months together, helping each other to grow, JR moved back to Pennsylvania, and we were both better off for having had the experience together. Note that this "I scratch your back" thing simply WAS NOT financially related! JR has made for himself the best billiards magazine in the industry in my opinion, but he did that without any financial backing from us. He deserves all the credit for that.

Now, currently, I do believe from what I see that InsidePOOL may be having, at a minimum, some growing pains. It should be made quite clear that JR himself is again fully responsible for the situation he is in.

I believe that there will continue to be speculation on these boards about the future of InsidePOOL, but those of you who have been around since its inception in (I think) January of 2001 know that there has ALWAYS been such talk. Time and time again, the magazine ships each month. Most of you will agree that it is a great magazine, and worth the wait. JR is a good friend of mine, yet I do not always agree with some of the decisions he makes. However, I have grown to know that you can never count him out! There once was a time, back around June of 2002, when I'd have placed a bet against the magazine surviving through the rest of the year. That was a bet I would have lost, and I'm not so foolish to ever place a similar bet. When you have the best product on the market, it is hard to fail.

Regarding Fury Cues, I would like to thank Kay and Jennie and whomever else for saying the nice things you have about our cues. Despite our marketing efforts, though, it still seems that some people are a little confused about the cues themselves. Yes, our DL line of Fury cues retails for $115. Yes, this is a decal cue. NO, this is not your "typical" decal cue. Take a good look at a friend of yours' Fury DL. You will note that the shaft wood is some of the nicest maple you'll see on any cue under about $500. This includes your Vikings, your Falcons, your McDermotts, and so on. The materials, craftsmanship, construction, and hit of the cue are all quality. Sure, the DL's are made with decals. Guess what? That helps to reduce the price of a cue, ensuring that a player can spend their money on a quality hit over quality doo-dads. We do offer high-end cues with some of the finest inlays you've ever seen, designed by Kaz Miki of Mezz Cues (high-end Japanese cue maker -- and don't forget that a huge number of American-made custom cues go to the Japanese market!) To any that would question a Fury, all I have got to say is pick one up and hit with it, without prejudice.

To further set the record straight, when players like Rodney Morris, Keith McCready, José Parica, Francisco Bustamante, Ramil Gallego, Shane Sinnott (former sales manager and 8-year employee of Predator Products), Kelly Fisher, and so on tell me that our cues feel great in their hands, I'm going to take that at face value. There have been so many others, amateurs and pros alike, that have made me feel so good about the products we create.

Now, about the whole "name change" thing. When these cues were first designed and created, the name was "Rage". After they were introduced in Japan at a show, a shrewd competitor of ours decided to throw a monkey wrench in the works by registering the trademark here in the United States. Well, for those of you unfamiliar with intellectual property law, in order to federally register a trademark, that mark must have been used in interstate trade for one year. This is not something that must be proved to the US PTO, so our competitor was able to "sneak it through". Unfortunately, there is a "presumptive" aspect of IP law, which means that it is presumed that someone having a trademark has it legitimately, making it more difficult to fight. Although I feel we could have waged a legal war to retake the name "Rage", it would have meant spending a lot of time and money that could be used to promote a different name altogether. Since only a handful of these original Rage cues had been sold, it was no big deal to change the name. The most reluctant person to make the change was Gregory Koblenz of Dynamic Billiard in Germany, since he had already heavily advertised the Rage name. Anyway, we convinced him to go along with the name Fury, which I actually personally preferred! I do not know what things you are mentioning as far as "foreign websites" go, but I'd like to see what you are referring to so I can aid in setting the record straight there, too.

I'm sure I missed some things, so please poke me again and I'll respond. I do not regularly check these boards, but send an email to me at "scott at sterling dash gaming dot com" and I'll respond either by email or on the board itself.

Thanks to all of you that have been supporters of our company and our many brands. We appreciate you very much.

By the way, might I suggest ordering from cuesight.com (http://www.cuesight.com)? I can personally guarantee that you won't have problems there, or that any problems would be quickly and professionally resolved to your fullest satisfaction.

KBP
04-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Were r all the fury tourments in Ga .i see all over but nothing realy in GA ..??? What is going on ? Not that many players playing from Ga ..I have no info on tour but what i see after a tournment ..so is the tour over in Ga ..?????
U know who ...

Check out the website at www.furytour.com or http://home.gate.net/~higgins3/

Jack Madden
04-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Two days ago I was told by a InsidePool Magazine staffer that the May issue had gone to print. So there may be growing pains, changes in staffing, some glitches in the giddi up, but don't bury a good pool magazine 'til the owner closes up the shop. Go to the neighborhood magazine rack - there are magazines on every kind of sport - heck skate boarding has more magazines than pool/billiards (do you think there are more skate boarders then pool has pool players - heh a 60 yr old Luther Lassiter on a skate board!!!).
Jack Madden
www.johnmaddencues.

lakemifurytour
04-13-2005, 01:19 PM
I personally have not played with a fury cue ! which brings me back to the original post LOL! (its amazing the twist and turns post take on this site) I won a Fury cue from inside pool a few weeks ago and as far have not received my cue ! now I am sure for those unfortunates that are complaining that they have ordered cues / cases and a few reported Pool tables my problem is a moot one but besides inuendo and rumor does anyone really know if the problem is the pull out of Fury as a backer of the mag and its Mall or is it just growing pains or what???? :confused:

What a laugh! I must add my two cents here. First off I promise to investigate if Fury is behind Inside Pool or not. IF they are I reassure you that if there are any problems regarding Fury they will be taken care of in a timely matter. Secondly, The Fury Amateur 9 Ball Tour is one of the hottest amateur tours this year and is growing rapidly. The Fury Cue, which I have played with (many different types and price ranges) is a good cue and is priced reasonably for the amateur player and for any other player, in my opinion. Again it is the feel and groove of playing with a piece of wood verses who's name is on the product. I have played with many different makers and to be boldy honest, I love the feel of a Fury break/jump stick. I love the feel of many of the models. (This must be one of your turn ons ;), actually you must be singing in the heavens at this point). I have played with Jacoby cues, now there is a pricy cue. Third, I have had problems with receiving my own subscription of IP as well as many of the men and women in both my divisions I run as a director. Your right no one from IP calls back or cares not even for little ole me. Now Jack, the Fury fan is in here as they are everywhere and I really do not think that one person can spoil a meal, especially when the meal is not a Fury meal to begin with. This is an IP issue NOT a Fury issue otherwise the magazine would be called Fury, don’t ya think? I do agree with you on the twisted nonsense that corporate America plays, and if you are such a researcher can you tell me what you have found in those unfounded and non-documented foreign sites? Please? FYI I am a published college professor and know just a tiny weenie bit about research and a whole lot about resources on the net, if you need assistance let me know.

lakemifurytour
04-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Setting things Straight
My name is Scott Taylor. I am the President of Sterling Gaming, Inc. We are a manufacturing distributor of billiards supplies. We currently supply, in addition to "traditional" brick and mortar establishments, many online stores. Generally, a customer of ours (such as InsidePOOL.com) will promote our products, take an order from a customer, then send that order to us for fulfillment. Most items ordered this way from most of our customers ship out the same day, then we bill our customers (the reseller) weekly. Each day we ship hundreds of orders to hundreds of players on behalf of dozens of online suppliers.

We are the exclusive dealer of Fury Cues in North America. Fury is a partnership between three distributors and a manufacturer. Our company, as part of the arrangement with the other three companies, is responsible for the marketing and promotion of the brand.

Neither Sterling Gaming, Inc. nor Fury Cues have ANYTHING to do with InsidePOOL or InsidePOOL.com, except for being an advertiser in the magazine, and being a supplier for the website. We have NEVER had any equity position in InsidePOOL, despite rumors that were floating around a few years ago, and ones that have recently surfaced.

It is true that in InsidePOOL's early days, JR Calvert moved to Charlotte where we could help consult him on certain aspects of business in general (I personally helped him set up his subscriber database, while my wife Heidi - of "Slippy Powder" fame - helped him with his accounting.) JR introduced us to a lot of his previous dealers from when he was a distributor for Falcom, and helped us out in other similar ways. After spending several months together, helping each other to grow, JR moved back to Pennsylvania, and we were both better off for having had the experience together. Note that this "I scratch your back" thing simply WAS NOT financially related! JR has made for himself the best billiards magazine in the industry in my opinion, but he did that without any financial backing from us. He deserves all the credit for that.

Now, currently, I do believe from what I see that InsidePOOL may be having, at a minimum, some growing pains. It should be made quite clear that JR himself is again fully responsible for the situation he is in.

I believe that there will continue to be speculation on these boards about the future of InsidePOOL, but those of you who have been around since its inception in (I think) January of 2001 know that there has ALWAYS been such talk. Time and time again, the magazine ships each month. Most of you will agree that it is a great magazine, and worth the wait. JR is a good friend of mine, yet I do not always agree with some of the decisions he makes. However, I have grown to know that you can never count him out! There once was a time, back around June of 2002, when I'd have placed a bet against the magazine surviving through the rest of the year. That was a bet I would have lost, and I'm not so foolish to ever place a similar bet. When you have the best product on the market, it is hard to fail.

Regarding Fury Cues, I would like to thank Kay and Jennie and whomever else for saying the nice things you have about our cues. Despite our marketing efforts, though, it still seems that some people are a little confused about the cues themselves. Yes, our DL line of Fury cues retails for $115. Yes, this is a decal cue. NO, this is not your "typical" decal cue. Take a good look at a friend of yours' Fury DL. You will note that the shaft wood is some of the nicest maple you'll see on any cue under about $500. This includes your Vikings, your Falcons, your McDermotts, and so on. The materials, craftsmanship, construction, and hit of the cue are all quality. Sure, the DL's are made with decals. Guess what? That helps to reduce the price of a cue, ensuring that a player can spend their money on a quality hit over quality doo-dads. We do offer high-end cues with some of the finest inlays you've ever seen, designed by Kaz Miki of Mezz Cues (high-end Japanese cue maker -- and don't forget that a huge number of American-made custom cues go to the Japanese market!) To any that would question a Fury, all I have got to say is pick one up and hit with it, without prejudice.

To further set the record straight, when players like Rodney Morris, Keith McCready, José Parica, Francisco Bustamante, Ramil Gallego, Shane Sinnott (former sales manager and 8-year employee of Predator Products), Kelly Fisher, and so on tell me that our cues feel great in their hands, I'm going to take that at face value. There have been so many others, amateurs and pros alike, that have made me feel so good about the products we create.

Now, about the whole "name change" thing. When these cues were first designed and created, the name was "Rage". After they were introduced in Japan at a show, a shrewd competitor of ours decided to throw a monkey wrench in the works by registering the trademark here in the United States. Well, for those of you unfamiliar with intellectual property law, in order to federally register a trademark, that mark must have been used in interstate trade for one year. This is not something that must be proved to the US PTO, so our competitor was able to "sneak it through". Unfortunately, there is a "presumptive" aspect of IP law, which means that it is presumed that someone having a trademark has it legitimately, making it more difficult to fight. Although I feel we could have waged a legal war to retake the name "Rage", it would have meant spending a lot of time and money that could be used to promote a different name altogether. Since only a handful of these original Rage cues had been sold, it was no big deal to change the name. The most reluctant person to make the change was Gregory Koblenz of Dynamic Billiard in Germany, since he had already heavily advertised the Rage name. Anyway, we convinced him to go along with the name Fury, which I actually personally preferred! I do not know what things you are mentioning as far as "foreign websites" go, but I'd like to see what you are referring to so I can aid in setting the record straight there, too.

I'm sure I missed some things, so please poke me again and I'll respond. I do not regularly check these boards, but send an email to me at "scott at sterling dash gaming dot com" and I'll respond either by email or on the board itself.

Thanks to all of you that have been supporters of our company and our many brands. We appreciate you very much.

By the way, might I suggest ordering from cuesight.com (http://www.cuesight.com)? I can personally guarantee that you won't have problems there, or that any problems would be quickly and professionally resolved to your fullest satisfaction.

No Need for any further investigation. Thanks.

merylane
04-13-2005, 01:32 PM
i wonder why fred has not chimmed in? i would think he might know something?
and i agree with jack its a great mag. i just want to get it late or not!

X IP employee
04-13-2005, 02:01 PM
The fact that the customers did not receive a call back was not because we did not want to call you back, but because of the enormous amount of voicemails and phone calls we handled in a normal day.

There were only four people there that handled the website order calls.There was no time for any of us to call every one that left a voicemail back, and we do apologize to any of you that feel slighted by any actions we (the former employees) were forced to make.

It was not that we (the employees) were not doing our jobs, but the total opposite of that. We did what we could in the situation we were made to deal with.

MrLucky
04-13-2005, 05:31 PM
What a laugh! I must add my two cents here. First off I promise to investigate if Fury is behind Inside Pool or not. IF they are I reassure you that if there are any problems regarding Fury they will be taken care of in a timely matter. Secondly, The Fury Amateur 9 Ball Tour is one of the hottest amateur tours this year and is growing rapidly. The Fury Cue, which I have played with (many different types and price ranges) is a good cue and is priced reasonably for the amateur player and for any other player, in my opinion. Again it is the feel and groove of playing with a piece of wood verses who's name is on the product. I have played with many different makers and to be boldy honest, I love the feel of a Fury break/jump stick. I love the feel of many of the models. (This must be one of your turn ons ;), actually you must be singing in the heavens at this point). I have played with Jacoby cues, now there is a pricy cue. Third, I have had problems with receiving my own subscription of IP as well as many of the men and women in both my divisions I run as a director. Your right no one from IP calls back or cares not even for little ole me. Now Jack, the Fury fan is in here as they are everywhere and I really do not think that one person can spoil a meal, especially when the meal is not a Fury meal to begin with. This is an IP issue NOT a Fury issue otherwise the magazine would be called Fury, don’t ya think? I do agree with you on the twisted nonsense that corporate America plays, and if you are such a researcher can you tell me what you have found in those unfounded and non-documented foreign sites? Please? FYI I am a published college professor and know just a tiny weenie bit about research and a whole lot about resources on the net, if you need assistance let me know.
I am assuming you quoted me but was referring to another post since your statements did not relate to anything I was saying :confused:

deadstroke32
04-13-2005, 06:58 PM
Setting things Straight

Hay Scott do u have any job opening ??? I love and i love pool ....lookin 4 a job ..

Ktown D
04-13-2005, 08:34 PM
The fact that the customers did not receive a call back was not because we did not want to call you back, but because of the enormous amount of voicemails and phone calls we handled in a normal day.

There were only four people there that handled the website order calls.There was no time for any of us to call every one that left a voicemail back, and we do apologize to any of you that feel slighted by any actions we (the former employees) were forced to make.

It was not that we (the employees) were not doing our jobs, but the total opposite of that. We did what we could in the situation we were made to deal with.

Sounds like you all were elbows and a##holes trying to keep up with all the orders. You would think with that kind of interest and income my magazine would have arrived. Sorry to be cynical.

pooltchr
04-14-2005, 05:15 AM
Deadstroke32
I don't know if Scott is planning on hiring at the moment, but as a Sterling employee, I would like to say that Scott and his wife (Hi Slippy!) are two of the absolute best people I have ever worked for. If Scott's talent for pool matched his passion for the game and the industry, he would be a top pro! They truely care for their employees, and the employees in turn give 100% on the job.
I know this is off topic, but it's something I just had to post.
Steve

TheBook
04-14-2005, 05:40 AM
Sounds like you all were elbows and a##holes trying to keep up with all the orders. You would think with that kind of interest and income my magazine would have arrived. Sorry to be cynical.

With business being that good you would think that they would hire more help or at least some temps.

X IP employee
04-14-2005, 06:41 AM
With business being that good you would think that they would hire more help or at least some temps.

I didn't mean that we were taking all those calls for orders, etc. It was the cs calls. All of the customers checking on the orders they placed.

MrLucky
04-14-2005, 06:43 AM
Deadstroke32
I don't know if Scott is planning on hiring at the moment, but as a Sterling employee, I would like to say that Scott and his wife (Hi Slippy!) are two of the absolute best people I have ever worked for. If Scott's talent for pool matched his passion for the game and the industry, he would be a top pro! They truely care for their employees, and the employees in turn give 100% on the job.
I know this is off topic, but it's something I just had to post.
Steve

Steve I hope that gets you a raise my friend I can attest that you are a loyal Fury promoter! :D

KBP
04-14-2005, 06:56 AM
Steve I hope that gets you a raise my friend I can attest that you are a loyal Fury promoter! :D

I can tell you also that the Sterling/Fury group is a great group to be with. I own the KBP which is the Fury Amateur 9-Ball. Fury being our title sponsor and I love the cues and how they hit. I had a chance to work with some of the guys at Allen Hopkins. I had never done an Expo so I didn't know what I was getting myself into. But I had a blast with those guys and want to go again.
Scott and his wife are super people and the staff is fantastic in my book.
Steve also runs the Georgia and North Carolina division for us and if I could give him a raise I would. :D And Steve works hard to keep those divisions going.
Kay

lakemifurytour
04-14-2005, 09:40 AM
IP sucks...I am so disappointed in my subscription. I have been a subscriber for over a year and I may have got 4 magazines total. Now I did move during that time period, and I submitted my address move to them, but my subscription has been sporadic to say the least. When they called at Christmas time to ask me to renew I did, I even renewed with a 3 year subscription! So far, I have been getting the magazine, but in my opinion wayyyyyy after the fact. I mean come on, my latest issue has Efren on the front and is about DCC...which happened what, four months ago now? Even with publishing times, I still think this is unreasonable.

And as far as there "Mall" is concerned, I bought a predator shaft there once and got it rather promptly, only to find out I way overpaid for it...but lesson learned there. They did deliver the product promptly and I am still shooting with the shaft today. That was almost a year ago, you think with my order they would of figured out my address move eh?

Now on to Fury, in my opinion, and this is reading a BOATLOAD of websites and groups, they make a VERY good product for the money. I think people just often forget, you get what you pay for. If you are expecting an 800 dollar cue for 200 bucks, you may need to shop elsewhere. But if you want a great hitting cue for around 200, then Fury is highly recommend in my book. Just depends on the person and the way they play...a cue has to be fitted to the person...not the person fitted to the cue. I remember my first cue that wasn't a walmart special was a Crystal Leisure, and I loved that cue. It had a nylon wrap, was black with white cut outs...and hit great, but I was the laughing stock of the pool room nearly. Since then I have been through probably over 100 cues, and I settled on a Schon. You will have to pry that Schon out of my cold dead hands to get me to get rid of it...period. I do have other cues I tinker with, but when the money is down or I am in a tourney, my baby comes out a smokin'.

Now here is my idea...and bear with a short fella on this one. What if we had an electronic magazine, published monthly. Full tournament results and schedules across the country. Full articles from some of the pros or veterans in the pool playing world. Maybe just four or five articles a month. Maybe even have a different drill each month for players to try. Maybe even discuss APA, UPA, whatever-A and the ins and outs of their respective tours. Would people be willing to pay 5 bucks a month to subscribe to this? We could even have the newsletter to be both an email and a login so people could look back over older issues. Now we would also need sponsorship, from say the big pool sellers such as Mueller or Seyberts or both...heck...the problem I see is we are diversed in the pool world, and anything we can do to combine it all and make it more universal would strengthen the game of pool and its popularity. To me pool has been such a "what about me?" sport that has stressed the individuality of the game so much, stretched it so thin, that it will never be able to grow and prosper like other sports. If we notice, big sports are on a downfall. Ice hockey has lost popularity, basketball as well...baseball will be next due to the steroid controversy. Why not take advantage of this weakness in those sporting areas and let's capitalize on it?

Hmmm just a midget thinking after a cup of coffee...guess they should cut me off eh?

Shorty

there are tons of electronic magazines out there, there and with AZ Billiards information I think players just need to be made aware of what they can get and where they can get it, and that is AZ's job not ours