PDA

View Full Version : Against the pros in 9-ball...question

JrockJustin
04-13-2005, 01:16 AM
I have a quick question that desperately needs some opinions please!

I often play against the pros and usually play them at 10 to 6...

In terms of improving, should I be playing them without a handicap?

Or should I continue to play them with the handicap until I can continually beat them and then move up a level? 10-7,10-8 etc...

Just a quick thought or two would work wonders!

Thanks!

Chris_Lynch
04-13-2005, 01:33 AM

Or should I continue to play them with the handicap until I can continually beat them and then move up a level? 10-7,10-8 etc...

Thanks!

Handicaps can give you a false sense of where you are -- especially if you are playing the same player and get comfortable with them. The best way to improve is to play even. No doubt about it.

k-carson
04-13-2005, 01:37 AM
keep playing 6-10 you will know when you improved when they wont play you 6-10 anymore

vapoolplayer
04-13-2005, 02:10 AM
Handicaps can give you a false sense of where you are -- especially if you are playing the same player and get comfortable with them. The best way to improve is to play even. No doubt about it.

i'd have to agree here...........it does give you a false sense........if you let it.

you can do it both ways.........depends on how deep your pockets are, what you're playing for, and how much you play.

if you're playing someone once a week, for relatively cheap(meaning you can afford it)..........then play even..........if you're trying to get better.

if you're playing them alot, for enough to stress your wallet, then take the spot that is even........meaning that no one is up alot all the time, or you break even alot. just make sure you're realizing that you aren't beating the pro because you're good, that you're winning because of the spot...........you can get stuck in a "rut" or "comfort zone" real quick and you won't get any better.

thanks

VAP

Black-Balled
04-13-2005, 05:26 AM
keep playing 6-10 you will know when you improved when they wont play you 6-10 anymore
Thats the best idea I ever saw here.

JimS
04-13-2005, 05:35 AM
IF.... I say IF this is a sincere post then I think that the decision is not up to you. It's up to them. The score at the end will encourage them to think about whether 10 to 6 is a game they still want.

vapoolplayer
04-13-2005, 05:40 AM
IF.... I say IF this is a sincere post then I think that the decision is not up to you. It's up to them. The score at the end will encourage them to think about whether 10 to 6 is a game they still want.

why would you leave it up to them alone???? there's two people playing, and both people have to agree on the game. of course if they come out even alot (which would be the FAIR game) the person giving the spot would naturally not want to give up that spot so they could win more.

but if you're going to get into a game that you know you're going to lose at and you're wagering on it...........why not just pay them for lessons????

VAP

sjm
04-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Keep taking that spot. It greatly increases the likelihood you'll get the pro's best game, at that's what will set you up for maximum improvement.

By the way, I took four on the wire on eleven the last time I played Mika Immonen. He beat me 11 - 10 and then I beat him 11 - 10. He played his heart out, exactly as I wanted it.

If you want a false sense of security, play a much better player even. Put them in a situation where they can't lose and most pros will experiment or play a loose shot or two.

Jude Rosenstock
04-13-2005, 03:18 PM

Thanks!

Well, the one thing you failed to mention (and I'm surprised that nobody asked) is, how are you doing at this game? I mean, if you're losing then you might as well continue at this spot.

Playing someone even has its advantages and honestly, it puts a different kind of pressure on a player. Suddenly, winning and losing escapes the lower player's mind which is exactly what you want to accomplish. You start focusing on how you play and not necessarily on what the score is. As for the professional, he may accept losing in a situation where he's giving you a ton of weight but rest assured, he's not going to be too happy if you're running around the room, telling people you beat him even. Pride has a funny way of bringing out a player's best.

In the end, this is a decision you have to make on your own and with all the variables in mind. If you're playing for nothing (or next to it), there's no reason for a spot. If you're playing for something significant, BY ALL MEANS!

Nostroke
04-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Keep taking that spot. It greatly increases the likelihood you'll get the pro's best game, at that's what will set you up for maximum improvement.

By the way, I took four on the wire on eleven the last time I played Mika Immonen. He beat me 11 - 10 and then I beat him 11 - 10. He played his heart out, exactly as I wanted it.

If you want a false sense of security, play a much better player even. Put them in a situation where they can't lose and most pros will experiment or play a loose shot or two.

Good thing he beat you the first set cause if he didnt, he probably wouldnt talk to you the 2nd set. When you are keeping score Mika always plays HARD- even for nothing.

Johnnyt
04-13-2005, 04:23 PM
I would keep the 10-6. If it's too much the pro will want to adjust it. A pro that makes his living on the table is not going to give too much weight twice.

JohnnyT

sjm
04-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Good thing he beat you the first set cause if he didnt, he probably wouldnt talk to you the 2nd set. When you are keeping score Mika always plays HARD- even for nothing.

Usually so, Nostroke, but I remember playing Mika even once on a table he found to be "insultingly" loose. You know what he did? He hit every nine ball at maximum speed to make it a little more difficult. He missed two nine ball, and barely won, 9 -8, but I took no particular pride in it, because I clearly hadn't gotten his best game. I'm sure he'd have played it a little more serious had he spotted me.

deadstroke32
04-13-2005, 07:13 PM

Hay i'll try u some even ,Sir ..Put up that Cue u got .. :D :D .i don't want the cash .Jus the q.. :eek: :eek:

JrockJustin
04-14-2005, 12:54 AM
I am taking everyones advice into consideration. I am pleased to have so many various responses.

Oh, it is about even the number of times I beat them 10-6. I definitely draw their best game. I am playing to increase my skills, not to win money at this point.

Thanks again for your responses!

Chris_Lynch
04-14-2005, 02:20 AM
Hay i'll try u some even ,Sir ..Put up that Cue u got .. :D :D .i don't want the cash .Jus the q.. :eek: :eek:

I'll put up anything you want since you can't win... :D

What kind of car do you drive anyway?

Jude Rosenstock
04-14-2005, 07:39 AM
I'll put up anything you want since you can't win... :D

What kind of car do you drive anyway?

Chris, can I somehow get-in on this action? Hell, I'm up for a road-trip!