04-16-2005, 08:03 PM
Check out insidepools website

http://www.insidepool.com/article1607.html

Jack Madden
04-16-2005, 08:21 PM

NewtoPool or maybe new to AZ Board
Thanks for the update on Inside Pool website and the magazine.
Jack
www.johnmaddencues.com

sjm
04-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Anyone catch this part?

JR Calvert, owner of Spheragon Publishing and the publisher of InsidePOOL Magazine, created InsidePOOL.com in 2001. “After putting my heart into our magazine and then continuing with the creation of its o*nline component, it¹s a wonderful feeling to know that I can leverage this sale to take the magazine to the next level,” said JR. "With the proceeds of the sale, we will be able to drastically expand our circulation, which has been a large goal of ours since the beginning. The millions of pool players in the United States simply weren't being served by the pre-existing magazines."

At a moment in time when Inside Pool is failing to provide issues that subscribers have paid for and failing to deliver product that customers have purchased, Calvert has the nerve to suggest that pre-existing magazines weren't serving the pool consumer base.

This quote qualifies as somewhere between incredibly stupid and incredibly funny. Calvert's quote shows his lack of remorse for the disgraceful behavior of those at Inside Pool of late, and shows us what we can expect if tough times are ever encountered again at inside Pool.

To me, it sounds like the folks at inside Pool need an attitude transplant.

AzHousePro
04-17-2005, 12:34 AM
What is funny is that Inside Pool has been claiming for a while now that they have the largest circulation of any mag in the industry. Now the proceeds of the sale are going to allow them to 'drastically expand our circulation'?

That press release is just full of amusing little tidbits. I guess anything can be claimed in a press release though.

Mike

Anyone catch this part?

JR Calvert, owner of Spheragon Publishing and the publisher of InsidePOOL Magazine, created InsidePOOL.com in 2001. “After putting my heart into our magazine and then continuing with the creation of its o*nline component, it¹s a wonderful feeling to know that I can leverage this sale to take the magazine to the next level,” said JR. "With the proceeds of the sale, we will be able to drastically expand our circulation, which has been a large goal of ours since the beginning. The millions of pool players in the United States simply weren't being served by the pre-existing magazines."

At a moment in time when Inside Pool is failing to provide issues that subscribers have paid for and failing to deliver product that customers have purchased, Calvert has the nerve to suggest that pre-existing magazines weren't serving the pool consumer base.

This quote qualifies as somewhere between incredibly stupid and incredibly funny. Calvert's quote shows his lack of remorse for the disgraceful behavior of those at Inside Pool of late, and shows us what we can expect if tough times are ever encountered again at inside Pool.

To me, it sounds like the folks at inside Pool need an attitude transplant.

Nostroke
04-17-2005, 01:31 AM
What is funny is that Inside Pool has been claiming for a while now that they have the largest circulation of any mag in the industry. Now the proceeds of the sale are going to allow them to 'drastically expand our circulation'?

That press release is just full of amusing little tidbits. I guess anything can be claimed in a press release though.

Mike

I can buy Inside Pool having the largest circulation before i can buy the following:

“InsidePOOL.com is the best-known and most-visited billiards site o*n the net,” said Scott. I would say AZB owns that title and i dont think anything else is close. MIke?

ScottTaylor
04-17-2005, 02:01 AM
I can buy Inside Pool having the largest circulation before i can buy the following:

“InsidePOOL.com is the best-known and most-visited billiards site o*n the net,” said Scott. I would say AZB owns that title and i dont think anything else is close. MIke?

Folks,

1) InsidePOOL Magazine does have a higher circulation than the other "big two" magazines. Simply take a look at the federally-required circulation disclosures inside the magazines themselves (required for "periodical rate" postage). InsidePOOL's is highest.

2) Regarding online exposure, InsidePOOL.com is the 900lb. gorilla, with no one else even close. Take a look at this Alexa comparison (http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=6m&size=medium&compare_sites=insidepool.com&y=t&url=http://www.azbilliards.com#top) between AZB and Inside Pool (http://www.insidepool.com/).

3) An influx of capital for a publisher can cause the circulation to grow leaps and bounds. Were you aware that newsstand magazine sales are generally a break-even at best for publishers? The unsold copies go to waste, and paper isn't cheap these days. In order to get large distribution of a periodical, you must provide the distributors with enough copies of the magazine to make it worth their while to distribute. InsidePOOL Magazine is the only magazine in the industry, as far as I know, to have been distributed on a limited basis through large retailers such as Barnes and Noble and Tower Records. To crank out the numbers of magazines required is quite pricy. Furthermore, note that IP has a higher editorial-to-advertising ratio than any of the other billiards magazines.

4) With, what, eighty million people who play pool regularly each year (I can't readily recall the SGMA report's numbers), don't you think that 15,000ish copies of a magazine per month is on the low side? The comment referred to the limited penetration of the magazines, not the reliability of delivery. Furthermore, I have received every published copy of InsidePOOL since the magazine began. Who claims to not have received theirs?

I am not meaning to create a debate here. I simply wish people posted with some basis in fact, and not conjecture.

Please let me know if you need any further clarification.

Best regards,

Scott Taylor

frankncali
04-17-2005, 03:26 AM
To say that your the top circulator in the billiard business is a little
hard to take right now. The facts ( not conjecture) is that way
too many people have issues with InsidePool's circulation. Hard to disagree with the raw numbers but too many problems to even bring it up.

If we are talking numbers then lets talk the number of people that are still
looking for what they paid for by each publication. I think InsidePool will
be the higher in that one as well.

I wonder how many people that are visiting the site are actually looking for
answers. However comparing Insidepool.com and AzBilliard.com traffic
is not fair to either. I can safely say that AzBilliards.com is a well run
site that gets tons of repeat vistors. Its still relatively a small content site that alot of players dont know about.

I like the Insidepool publication and will give the new owners some time to
get things straight but theres no way anyone associated with that publication
can do any chest beating until more problems are solved.
When they are I will subscribe once again and hope this time I receive an issue. I do agree that the circulation numbers could be alot higher.

Folks,

1) InsidePOOL Magazine does have a higher circulation than the other "big two" magazines. Simply take a look at the federally-required circulation disclosures inside the magazines themselves (required for "periodical rate" postage). InsidePOOL's is highest.

2) Regarding online exposure, InsidePOOL.com is the 900lb. gorilla, with no one else even close. Take a look at this Alexa comparison (http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=6m&size=medium&compare_sites=insidepool.com&y=t&url=http://www.azbilliards.com#top) between AZB and Inside Pool (http://www.insidepool.com/).

3) An influx of capital for a publisher can cause the circulation to grow leaps and bounds. Were you aware that newsstand magazine sales are generally a break-even at best for publishers? The unsold copies go to waste, and paper isn't cheap these days. In order to get large distribution of a periodical, you must provide the distributors with enough copies of the magazine to make it worth their while to distribute. InsidePOOL Magazine is the only magazine in the industry, as far as I know, to have been distributed on a limited basis through large retailers such as Barnes and Noble and Tower Records. To crank out the numbers of magazines required is quite pricy. Furthermore, note that IP has a higher editorial-to-advertising ratio than any of the other billiards magazines.

4) With, what, eighty million people who play pool regularly each year (I can't readily recall the SGMA report's numbers), don't you think that 15,000ish copies of a magazine per month is on the low side? The comment referred to the limited penetration of the magazines, not the reliability of delivery. Furthermore, I have received every published copy of InsidePOOL since the magazine began. Who claims to not have received theirs?

I am not meaning to create a debate here. I simply wish people posted with some basis in fact, and not conjecture.

Please let me know if you need any further clarification.

Best regards,

Scott Taylor

pooltchr
04-17-2005, 04:42 AM
Looks to me like the pool players are the biggest winners in this transaction. JR will continue to be able to focus on putting out the best magazine in the industry, and the online part is transferred to a company that is one of the best in the online retail business. Sterling has proven they can provide fast, reliable service to online customers over the past several years.
I think it is a great move! We players get the best of both worlds!
Steve

vapoolplayer
04-17-2005, 06:46 AM
first let me say that Inside pool is by far my FAVORITE magazine.

that being said.............

i bought my subscription off of the t.v. add that advertised the free video by henning..........

well i still have not recieved this video.

i have called several times and not talked to ANYONE.

it is now the 16 of april.........and my issue isn't here(although this could be the month that they combine it, since its only a 10 issue deal)

the same thing happend last month, well after the middle of the month before i got my mag by that time i already knew everything that was in there except for the articles by the players (i know most that write, so by that time i could have already asked them :rolleyes: )

the ONLY reason i've been going to inside pool's site is to find out where the hell my magazine and video are(could this be a trend among other people)

so, if i don't start getting answers soon.........i'm going to start asking myself why i'm spending money on this..........

and coming from a service background........its a common fact that for every dissatisfied customer, they will tell around 10 people, who usually tell a few people themselves.

hopefully things will get better, but as of right now, it seems i would have been better off to take my subscription money, ball it up in a little wad, put it in a pipe and smoke it............ :rolleyes:

thanks

VAP

recoveryjones
04-17-2005, 09:00 AM

When it comes to FORUM reading and FORUM posting AZ kicks Inside Pool's ass really good.Blows them outta the water...game set and match.

I go to Inside Pool to read about the latest happenings in the world of pool.Their reportings of tournaments is prompt,well written and very much up to date.They have a lot of good stuff to read regarding Billiard news and various other catergories(including instructional) on their front page.I can see a lot of pool players going their daily to read the updated happenings in the world of pool.
Inside Pool,also offers FREE downloads of their magazine and also has a photo caption contest for a FREE Viking pool cue monthly.
http://www.insidepool.com/index.php
Whether all of this contributes to a high internet hit count or not I don't know.

I go to Inside Pool,AZ Billiards and Billiards Digest everyday, so they all get one hit on the hit counter each.When it comes to time spent at a site AZ Billiards is first, Billiards Digest is second and Inside Pool a distant third.I spend at least 65% of my time at AZ,however, the comparison made is about internet hits and not time spent. RJ

larrynj1
04-17-2005, 09:02 AM
congratulations and continued success to both JR and Scott !

christopheradam
04-17-2005, 09:22 AM

With all the negative info on inside pool I would like to include a positive:

I called their new phone number to find out about my april issue and my shoping spree order I have not received that I won in February and I quickly got a live person and they told me they are looking into the issue. Call the new number they have posted on their "ask inside pool" forum. They are also answering my emails as well.

Hope this type of customer service continues in the future.

Nostroke
04-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Folks,

Well there i go -wrong again-makes 7,452 times now!

AzHousePro
04-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Inside Pool has used their Alexa rating for months to claim that they have higher traffic than AzB. Any webmaster who knows his business at all knows that Alexa's ratings are extremely easily manipulated and most professionals consider those rankings worthless.

Check out some of the threads on various webmastering forums....

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153286
http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156775
http://www.webproworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=4562
http://www.webproworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=36045

And some interesting quotes...

"Based on what I have seen - using Alexa to estimate site traffic is a worse alternative to guessing"

-------------------

"In my industry, there is one GINORMOUS Web site that at the height of the Internet boom got millions of dollars in venture capital (site A). The site currently gets a crapload of traffic. It's not unusal for the forums to have 2000 users online at the busiest time of the day.

So somehow this other little site (site B) gets a real high Alexa ranking - way higher than site A. Site B might have 150 users online when site A has 2000, but Site B ranks WAY higher on Alexa.

The result? Site B gets cocky and combines the Alexa ranking with some BS bloated statistics in their media kit - and voila - the Webs biggest site in the industry is born out of smoke and mirrors. Its a discredit to all of us other sites that are trying to build businesses in this niche."

----------------------------

"I wouldn't worry about the Alexa ranking. My experience has mirrored what alot of others here have said...in that it is almost completely useless.

It never brought me one customer, made one sale for me, increased my traffic, or anything else that matters. Just something to consider..."

---------------------------

"I should also point out that PestPatrol (Alexa voted #1 pest at PestPatrol) and Adaware consider Alexa spyware/adware because it records things that you do. It will even record text entered into web forms including usernames and passwords if it becomes part of the URL. Hmmm.... "

-----------------------

"Using Alexa?? You've got to be kidding. Any analysis of the Alexa stats are about as useful as tarot cards or a ouija board for getting traffic numbers.

It's unbelievable when people talk about using Alexa for anything other then a punchline. You lose all credibility as soon as you mention Alexa unless you preface it with "have you heard this one before..."."

There are a wide variety of tools and tricks out there on the net to artificially boost your Alexa rankings....

fakerank and alexabooster are two of the more widely used programs for this.

There are also threads on many of the webmastering forums that explain how to manipulate the Alexa rankings without any additional software/.

Here is an interesting link to a site that did a study on the Alexa rankings as compared to their real traffic #s.

http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/utilities/alexa/

Now I am not saying that anyone at Insidepool.com would ever stoop so low as to artificially manipulate their Alexa stats in order to claim their site was the highest trafficked on the net. Former employees have admitted that they were asked to go to bizrate and fill out fake reviews of the site saying it was a great buying experience, but certainly they would not do something like manipulating their Alexa ranking.

Mike

Jack Flanagan
04-17-2005, 12:05 PM

typical 'sterling-gaming', a.k.a. ''fury cues, a.k.a. 'inside pool' double-speak,,,

need a playbook to follow all this,,,remember their earlier post by founder "scott" disclaiming any hand in 'inside pool' ???

granny always said to check the pie for finger prints,,,never know whose finger has been in the pie,,,LOL

Nostroke
04-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks Mike -Things are making sense now.

pooltchr
04-17-2005, 01:22 PM
typical 'sterling-gaming', a.k.a. ''fury cues, a.k.a. 'inside pool' double-speak,,,

need a playbook to follow all this,,,remember their earlier post by founder "scott" disclaiming any hand in 'inside pool' ???

granny always said to check the pie for finger prints,,,never know whose finger has been in the pie,,,LOL

As I recall, Scott said he met with JR as an advisor when IP was just starting. He also stated there was no financial link between the two companies other than as a customer/supplier relationship. That was true until this latest change in ownership of the website.
Where's the double-speak???
Steve

ScottTaylor
04-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Mr. Flannigan,
I do not believe we have ever met, but if you taske issue with me or anything that I have said, I would appreciate you contacting me directly.

Also, can latent fingerprints be taken from either crust or filling? Sounds like a CSI episode in the making!

Mike,
Thanks for enlightening me on the unreliability of Alexa. I still think it is a good barometer for measuring traffic, albeit with certain caveats.

Best regards,

Scott

Jack Flanagan
04-17-2005, 01:37 PM
As I recall, Scott said he met with JR as an advisor when IP was just starting. He also stated there was no financial link between the two companies other than as a customer/supplier relationship. That was true until this latest change in ownership of the website.
Where's the double-speak???
Steve

I suppose you follow financial dealings closely ?

corporate America always speaks with "forked tongue"

denials,,,then whoops, we bought them out and everythings gonna be nice now,,,don't get me wrong, I know they have to keep 'takeovers' quiet until it happens,,,,seems strange that a few days ago everybody was down on them and suddenly,,,TODAY, its champagne and roses

save your praises for a few months,,,FWIW :confused:

ScottTaylor
04-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Mr. Flannigan,

I would like to ask that you take our company at face value, and give us every opportunity to take care of every past InsidePOOL.com customer. Please see my post in the main area titled "Sterling's Committment to InsidePOOL.com's Customers".

Thanks,

S. Scott Taylor, President
Sterling Gaming, Inc.

AzHousePro
04-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Alexa is good for showing trends in traffic, assuming that the #s are not being manipulated. It is a shame that there is no central registry for this sort of thing, but the logistics would be a complete nightmare.

Aah, CSI. One of my favorite shows.

Mike

Jack Flanagan
04-17-2005, 02:08 PM
wasn't gonna comment anymore,,,,think I see the problem now,,,,can't spell a customer's name right,,,,even when it's right before you !

maybe this is why 'inside pool' customers can't get their items,,,,name spelled wrong and the mail gets returned,,,,LOL

pete lafond
04-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Mr. Flannigan,
I do not believe we have ever met, but if you taske issue with me or anything that I have said, I would appreciate you contacting me directly.

Also, can latent fingerprints be taken from either crust or filling? Sounds like a CSI episode in the making!

Mike,
Thanks for enlightening me on the unreliability of Alexa. I still think it is a good barometer for measuring traffic, albeit with certain caveats.

Best regards,

Scott

I use Alexa for some of the info when it comes to marketing, but not traffic ratings because it is not dependable as it is a relative value. Also, I would not take offense to Jack. Everybody takes a ribbing on this forum. It's just part of the fun. If you were ignored, I would then be worried. I think this past transition for Inside-Pool is a terrific one and I look forward to its many benefits to the growth of pool.

KBP
04-17-2005, 06:21 PM
I think that the fact that Sterling Gaming has acquired Inside Pool Mag is one of the greatest ideas that Scott has come up with. He always has good ideas any way but this is fantastic because now the mag can reach its full potential. The players who order things will now get their orders in a timely manner. As for Sterling Gaming being connected to Inside Pool prior to this. I believe it when Scott said earlier that there was no connection other than in the past where he was an advisor and currently as IP had a store that carried the Sterling Gamining product. This is a good business move for Scott and his crew and is a fantastic idea. Scott will be able to take the IP mag and get it back on track. I am 100% behind him and this endeavor. I hope that you will give him a chance to make a difference just a you would a new player that is learning to play. You have to give them a chance at the table to see what they can do.
Kay

KBP
04-17-2005, 06:28 PM
first let me say that Inside pool is by far my FAVORITE magazine.

that being said.............

i bought my subscription off of the t.v. add that advertised the free video by henning..........

well i still have not recieved this video.

i have called several times and not talked to ANYONE.

it is now the 16 of april.........and my issue isn't here(although this could be the month that they combine it, since its only a 10 issue deal)

the same thing happend last month, well after the middle of the month before i got my mag by that time i already knew everything that was in there except for the articles by the players (i know most that write, so by that time i could have already asked them :rolleyes: )

the ONLY reason i've been going to inside pool's site is to find out where the hell my magazine and video are(could this be a trend among other people)

so, if i don't start getting answers soon.........i'm going to start asking myself why i'm spending money on this..........

and coming from a service background........its a common fact that for every dissatisfied customer, they will tell around 10 people, who usually tell a few people themselves.

hopefully things will get better, but as of right now, it seems i would have been better off to take my subscription money, ball it up in a little wad, put it in a pipe and smoke it............ :rolleyes:

thanks

VAP

Sometimes its a deadline and print issue and it cannot be helped. Sometimes there is a lot of info coming in that has to be sorted, gone through, edited and etc. There is a lot more to putting out a mag than just sticking it together especially with them covering the whole US and foreign events
Kay

lakemifurytour
04-17-2005, 07:05 PM
The way I look at all of this is simply put "this is just business". If you own a business or know anything about how these situations are handled or anything other than playing pool you will understand that until the ink is dry there is no such thing as a deal.

The latest news about the aquisition should put many people at ease. Please give people the benefit of the doubt and call or email IP again. Someone else has had something positive to say about their recent experience.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, sure, and some may have a different opinion about facts, but with respect your entitled to your opinions. However, I read both sites and I also have not received my April issue. But, I have always received and read my subscriptions that were awarded to me. I also have a subscription to Oprah and Cosmo. Funny....neither of them come on time either. I have called Oprah's place because it doesn't even come......they never write me back or handle my problem. But clearly here someone is reaching out to solve the problems. Please be patient I am sure it will take some time.

As far as reading them all.........when you read IP what are you really looking for or is it who are you looking for. And who cares about what it costs to publish a magazine it was thier choice to go into that business and accept the overhead and return.

I don't think I will return to these forums here on AZ for a while....too many angry people who complain about the stupidist (if that is a word) things.

lakemifurytour
04-17-2005, 07:06 PM
The way I look at all of this is simply put "this is just business". If you own a business or know anything about how these situations are handled or anything other than playing pool you will understand that until the ink is dry there is no such thing as a deal.

The latest news about the aquisition should put many people at ease. Please give people the benefit of the doubt and call or email IP again. Someone else has had something positive to say about their recent experience.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, sure, and some may have a different opinion about facts, but with respect your entitled to your opinions. However, I read both sites and I also have not received my April issue. But, I have always received and read my subscriptions that were awarded to me. I also have a subscription to Oprah and Cosmo. Funny....neither of them come on time either. I have called Oprah's place because it doesn't even come......they never write me back or handle my problem. But clearly here someone is reaching out to solve the problems. Please be patient I am sure it will take some time.

As far as reading them all.........when you read IP what are you really looking for or is it who are you looking for. And who cares about what it costs to publish a magazine it was thier choice to go into that business and accept the overhead and return.

I don't think I will return to these forums here on AZ for a while....too many angry people who complain about the stupidist (if that is a word) things.

BTW Congrats! I wish the new owners much success!

Nostroke
04-18-2005, 12:04 AM
I think that the fact that Sterling Gaming has acquired Inside Pool Mag is one of the greatest ideas that Scott has come up with. He always has good ideas any way but this is fantastic because now the mag can reach its full potential. The players who order things will now get their orders in a timely manner. As for Sterling Gaming being connected to Inside Pool prior to this. I believe it when Scott said earlier that there was no connection other than in the past where he was an advisor and currently as IP had a store that carried the Sterling Gamining product. This is a good business move for Scott and his crew and is a fantastic idea. Scott will be able to take the IP mag and get it back on track. I am 100% behind him and this endeavor. I hope that you will give him a chance to make a difference just a you would a new player that is learning to play. You have to give them a chance at the table to see what they can do.
Kay
//*
You are misunderstanding the transaction i think. Sterling has only acquired the Web portion of the Magazine, meaning i think mainly the 'Online Store'. JR will still run the Magazine and furnish the news that appears online from what i gather. Of course double check me as my record isnt perfect.

KBP
04-18-2005, 04:42 AM
No matter what the issue is with Sterling Gaming in the loop it will only benefit all that was my point. JR knows the magazine business and Scott knows the sales of product. Its a good venture no matter who does what. I have faith in both of them to make it bigger and better.
Kay

coolpoolfool
04-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Downloads of IP mag issues are $1.00--not free. Totally worth it, if you're comfortable putting your credit or debit card info on the net...(which I am NOT, just yet).

I was relieved to hear that the problems IP is having are getting resolved. It is a great magazine. I suspected that there was a big business transaction in the air. I hope they can resolve the issues with their angry customers.

poolbiz420
04-18-2005, 09:32 AM
I tried to read through this whole thing but my ADD kicked in, so does this mean i'm gonna start getting my magazines from them or am i still out my 33 bucks!?!

BigRigTom
04-18-2005, 11:09 AM

On April 13th Scott claimed while "Setting Things Straight" that Sterling Games had nothing to do with Insidepool.com.

Seem like Scott has a problem with knowing what straight is...
What does this mean for Insidepool.com in the future....
I would be very careful in my dealings with them, trust is an easy thing to lose and a very difficult thing to regain once lost.

Nostroke
04-18-2005, 11:18 AM
On April 13th Scott claimed while "Setting Things Straight" that Sterling Games had nothing to do with Insidepool.com.

Seem like Scott has a problem with knowing what straight is...
What does this mean for Insidepool.com in the future....
I would be very careful in my dealings with them, trust is an easy thing to lose and a very difficult thing to regain once lost.

I dont see it that way at all. At the time, he was not part of the company and was not responsible for the problems. That was the point being made.

Now he has stepped in and appears ready to 'save the day'. This is good. I wish him well.

BigRigTom
04-18-2005, 11:38 AM
I dont see it that way at all. At the time, he was not part of the company and was not responsible for the problems. That was the point being made.

Now he has stepped in and appears ready to 'save the day'. This is good. I wish him well.

Read that news release....
It says that talks have been in progress for months.

AuntyDan
04-18-2005, 11:39 AM
That is what is annonying, Scott takes the trouble to post here on the 14th to specifically state "Neither Sterling Gaming, Inc. nor Fury Cues have ANYTHING to do with InsidePOOL or InsidePOOL.com" (Note the ANYTHING in caps, original emphasis) and then in the email he sent to IP.com customers on the 17th Scott says "Sterling and Spheragon had been discussing the advantages of the proposed transfer of the online asset for over six months." Having business discussions to buy out a major part of someone's business counts as an ANYTHING in my opinion.

Both Scott and JR have businesses to run and the right to hold their cards close to their chest if they believe it will be better for their interests in the long run, and this is standard operating procedure during most business deals. However why bother telling everyone on the 14th there was no connection between them if he knew the deal was soon to be completed?

Having said all that all I really care about is 2 things:

1) When will I be getting my April and subsequent editions of IP magazine?The email sent by Sterling talks about shipping orders to InsidePool.com customers but gives no indication if this covers magazine subscription customers or only people who have ordered cues and accessories.

2) Will IP magazine continue to be written to the same standards? If so I will continue my subscription as long as I actually start getting it delivered again. There has been talk here of major staff changes at IP, does this include the editorial and journalistic staff or just the admin staff?

BigRigTom
04-18-2005, 11:41 AM
Read that news release....
It says that talks have been in progress for months.

For those of you who don't want to take the time to read the whole article:
Excerpt.........
"Sterling and Spheragon had been discussing the advantages of the proposed transfer of the o*nline asset for over six months. “It was hard to make the decision to grow the magazine at the expense of the site; however, after reflecting o*n the opportunity, it was definitely the best route to take to keep with my original mission,” JR replied when asked about his motives"

Scott will save the day OK! ;)

KBP
04-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Let me take this time to tell you what I think about this situation. First off I talked with Sterling Gaming for several months before the deal was final about the sponsorship. There are a lot of details to work out. And just because you are negotiating is does not mean you are affliated or have anything to do with each other at that time. I have done business with Sterling Gaming prior to the sponsorship and never had any problems. The only thing that I saw that IP had anything to do with SG was that they had a store online that sold SG merchandise as do many other sites.That does not mean they are connnected. Why must people take a good idea and try to tear it apart? If you have a question then do like Scott said call or email him. He is an honest guy and really good person to work with.
Kay

onepocketchump
04-18-2005, 12:58 PM
That is what is annonying, Scott takes the trouble to post here on the 14th to specifically state "Neither Sterling Gaming, Inc. nor Fury Cues have ANYTHING to do with InsidePOOL or InsidePOOL.com" (Note the ANYTHING in caps, original emphasis) and then in the email he sent to IP.com customers on the 17th Scott says "Sterling and Spheragon had been discussing the advantages of the proposed transfer of the online asset for over six months." Having business discussions to buy out a major part of someone's business counts as an ANYTHING in my opinion.

Both Scott and JR have businesses to run and the right to hold their cards close to their chest if they believe it will be better for their interests in the long run, and this is standard operating procedure during most business deals. However why bother telling everyone on the 14th there was no connection between them if he knew the deal was soon to be completed?

Having said all that all I really care about is 2 things:

1) When will I be getting my April and subsequent editions of IP magazine?The email sent by Sterling talks about shipping orders to InsidePool.com customers but gives no indication if this covers magazine subscription customers or only people who have ordered cues and accessories.

2) Will IP magazine continue to be written to the same standards? If so I will continue my subscription as long as I actually start getting it delivered again. There has been talk here of major staff changes at IP, does this include the editorial and journalistic staff or just the admin staff?

The email on the 14th stated as fact that Sterling had nothing to do with underwriting Inside Pool's business in any way. Yes, aquisition talks were in process but nothing ever came of it until now. This still does not mean that Sterling had any ownership position in Inside Pool before this aquisition.

Sterling did not take over the magazine and has nothing to do with it. The phone number that works for the magazine is 724-543-2635. The magazine will continue to be published as far as I know but Sterling will have NO EQUITY or INFLUENCE over it.

John Barton
Sterling Gaming

BigRigTom
04-18-2005, 01:19 PM
The email on the 14th stated as fact that Sterling had nothing to do with underwriting Inside Pool's business in any way. Yes, aquisition talks were in process but nothing ever came of it until now. This still does not mean that Sterling had any ownership position in Inside Pool before this aquisition.

Sterling did not take over the magazine and has nothing to do with it. The phone number that works for the magazine is 724-543-2635. The magazine will continue to be published as far as I know but Sterling will have NO EQUITY or INFLUENCE over it.

John Barton
Sterling Gaming

Sounds like a lot more double talk to me.
There is no good reason for that post by Scott of Sterling Games
There is no good reason InsidePool.com to continue accepting orders and not shipping them if the site was in process of being sold.
There is no good reason for anyone to believe these guys after all the BS they have been dishing out for the past couple of weeks while the negotiated behind closed doors and ignored customers request for info regarding their paid orders and subscriptions.

Get Real!
I run a website and a Brick and Mortar Business and I don't have any of these problems because I am a habitually honest businessman.
These guys are looking out for them selves and that is ALL they are concerned with.

pooltchr
04-18-2005, 01:29 PM
There is no good reason InsidePool.com to continue accepting orders and not shipping them if the site was in process of being sold.
There is no good reason for anyone to believe these guys after all the BS they have been dishing out for the past couple of weeks while the negotiated behind closed doors and ignored customers request for info regarding their paid orders and subscriptions.

Get Real!
I run a website and a Brick and Mortar Business and I don't have any of these problems because I am a habitually honest businessman.
These guys are looking out for them selves and that is ALL they are concerned with.

I would only say there is "no good reason" for anyone to pay any attention to your ranting. You have obviously made your judgement, and do not want to hear any facts. The fact that Scott/Sterling has taken over the web site only means that a lot of previously unhappy customers will get that which they should have gotten already. Seems like a good thing to me. you sound like a very bitter, suspicious and closed minded person to me. You are entitled to your opinion...but you know what they say about opinions!

Shorty
04-18-2005, 01:32 PM
I just want my magazine!

I still don't have the one with Marcus Chamut on the front cover!

Oy...*bangs head on keyboard*

Icky Monday here,
Shorty

BigRigTom
04-18-2005, 01:35 PM
It seems that some forums are muddying the waters about the Sterling Games deal to take over Insidepool.com
Maybe if this info get out to several locations fast enough...the Inside Pool Forum CAN NOT delete the post and keep everyone from reading the exact words.

Here's Scott's post in Quotes from the CCB of 4/13/05 saying Sterling has "NOTHING" to do with IP.
Followed by the Press Release of 4/16/05 announcing that Sterling Games bought IP and has been working on the deal for over 6 months.
These are not my accusations...they are Scott's own words that while you may not see the discrepancies I believe I do and I believe most people will too.
Draw your own conclusions and let the rest of us do the same.

Setting things Straight
My name is Scott Taylor. I am the President of Sterling Gaming, Inc. We are a manufacturing distributor of billiards supplies. We currently supply, in addition to "traditional" brick and mortar establishments, many online stores. Generally, a customer of ours (such as InsidePOOL.com) will promote our products, take an order from a customer, then send that order to us for fulfillment. Most items ordered this way from most of our customers ship out the same day, then we bill our customers (the reseller) weekly. Each day we ship hundreds of orders to hundreds of players on behalf of dozens of online suppliers.

We are the exclusive dealer of Fury Cues in North America. Fury is a partnership between three distributors and a manufacturer. Our company, as part of the arrangement with the other three companies, is responsible for the marketing and promotion of the brand.

Neither Sterling Gaming, Inc. nor Fury Cues have ANYTHING to do with InsidePOOL or InsidePOOL.com, except for being an advertiser in the magazine, and being a supplier for the website. We have NEVER had any equity position in InsidePOOL, despite rumors that were floating around a few years ago, and ones that have recently surfaced.

It is true that in InsidePOOL's early days, JR Calvert moved to Charlotte where we could help consult him on certain aspects of business in general (I personally helped him set up his subscriber database, while my wife Heidi - of "Slippy Powder" fame - helped him with his accounting.) JR introduced us to a lot of his previous dealers from when he was a distributor for Falcom, and helped us out in other similar ways. After spending several months together, helping each other to grow, JR moved back to Pennsylvania, and we were both better off for having had the experience together. Note that this "I scratch your back" thing simply WAS NOT financially related! JR has made for himself the best billiards magazine in the industry in my opinion, but he did that without any financial backing from us. He deserves all the credit for that.

Now, currently, I do believe from what I see that InsidePOOL may be having, at a minimum, some growing pains. It should be made quite clear that JR himself is again fully responsible for the situation he is in.

I believe that there will continue to be speculation on these boards about the future of InsidePOOL, but those of you who have been around since its inception in (I think) January of 2001 know that there has ALWAYS been such talk. Time and time again, the magazine ships each month. Most of you will agree that it is a great magazine, and worth the wait. JR is a good friend of mine, yet I do not always agree with some of the decisions he makes. However, I have grown to know that you can never count him out! There once was a time, back around June of 2002, when I'd have placed a bet against the magazine surviving through the rest of the year. That was a bet I would have lost, and I'm not so foolish to ever place a similar bet. When you have the best product on the market, it is hard to fail.

Regarding Fury Cues, I would like to thank Kay and Jennie and whomever else for saying the nice things you have about our cues. Despite our marketing efforts, though, it still seems that some people are a little confused about the cues themselves. Yes, our DL line of Fury cues retails for $115. Yes, this is a decal cue. NO, this is not your "typical" decal cue. Take a good look at a friend of yours' Fury DL. You will note that the shaft wood is some of the nicest maple you'll see on any cue under about $500. This includes your Vikings, your Falcons, your McDermotts, and so on. The materials, craftsmanship, construction, and hit of the cue are all quality. Sure, the DL's are made with decals. Guess what? That helps to reduce the price of a cue, ensuring that a player can spend their money on a quality hit over quality doo-dads. We do offer high-end cues with some of the finest inlays you've ever seen, designed by Kaz Miki of Mezz Cues (high-end Japanese cue maker -- and don't forget that a huge number of American-made custom cues go to the Japanese market!) To any that would question a Fury, all I have got to say is pick one up and hit with it, without prejudice.

To further set the record straight, when players like Rodney Morris, Keith McCready, José Parica, Francisco Bustamante, Ramil Gallego, Shane Sinnott (former sales manager and 8-year employee of Predator Products), Kelly Fisher, and so on tell me that our cues feel great in their hands, I'm going to take that at face value. There have been so many others, amateurs and pros alike, that have made me feel so good about the products we create.

Now, about the whole "name change" thing. When these cues were first designed and created, the name was "Rage". After they were introduced in Japan at a show, a shrewd competitor of ours decided to throw a monkey wrench in the works by registering the trademark here in the United States. Well, for those of you unfamiliar with intellectual property law, in order to federally register a trademark, that mark must have been used in interstate trade for one year. This is not something that must be proved to the US PTO, so our competitor was able to "sneak it through". Unfortunately, there is a "presumptive" aspect of IP law, which means that it is presumed that someone having a trademark has it legitimately, making it more difficult to fight. Although I feel we could have waged a legal war to retake the name "Rage", it would have meant spending a lot of time and money that could be used to promote a different name altogether. Since only a handful of these original Rage cues had been sold, it was no big deal to change the name. The most reluctant person to make the change was Gregory Koblenz of Dynamic Billiard in Germany, since he had already heavily advertised the Rage name. Anyway, we convinced him to go along with the name Fury, which I actually personally preferred! I do not know what things you are mentioning as far as "foreign websites" go, but I'd like to see what you are referring to so I can aid in setting the record straight there, too.

I'm sure I missed some things, so please poke me again and I'll respond. I do not regularly check these boards, but send an email to me at "scott at sterling dash gaming dot com" and I'll respond either by email or on the board itself.

Thanks to all of you that have been supporters of our company and our many brands. We appreciate you very much.

By the way, might I suggest ordering from CueSight Billiards Supplies ? I can personally guarantee that you won't have problems there, or that any problems would be quickly and professionally resolved to your fullest satisfaction.

END QUOTE

Posted by: editor on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 10:31 PM GMT

For Immediate Release

Sterling Gaming, Inc., Acquires InsidePOOL.com from Spheragon Publishing
Matthews, NC - April 16, 2005

Sterling Gaming, Inc., has concluded the acquisition of the most-trafficked website in the billiards industry, InsidePOOL.com. The agreement transfers all rights and interest in the United States and in all foreign countries in the InsidePOOL.com domain from Spheragon Publishing to Sterling Gaming, Inc. Founded by the inventor of the laser-sighted pool cue, Sterling intends to gain exposure for their products as a result of the acquisition.

Sterling Gaming, Inc. was founded in 1999 by Scott Taylor, a then-newcomer to the billiards industry. Sterling is a wholesale distributor of high-quality billiards products and currently supplies a large number of traditional billiard supply retailers, billiard parlors, and o*nline retailers. “InsidePOOL.com is the best-known and most-visited billiards site o*n the net,” said Scott. "This purchase will allow us to reach more players with our products, thereby increasing the demand for our brands to our dealers.”

Sterling and Spheragon had been discussing the advantages of the proposed transfer of the o*nline asset for over six months. “It was hard to make the decision to grow the magazine at the expense of the site; however, after reflecting o*n the opportunity, it was definitely the best route to take to keep with my original mission,” JR replied when asked about his motives.

Fellow industry members not related to either party have been very supportive of the purchase. Employees of both companies as well as customers and suppliers are happy that Sterling is the new owner of InsidePOOL.com. Matt Carter, general manager for Sterling Gaming, has been very involved with the Internet marketing arm of the company. He said, "I'm incredibly excited to be involved in a process that will allow us to continue to be an innovator in this industry. Never before has a distributor worked with a publisher to bring forth a combination of content and product that stand to grow the overall exposure of the game of pool."

The new official website for InsidePOOL Magazine will reside at www.insidepoolmag.com and will be launched in late April 2005.

About Sterling Gaming, Inc.
Although a relatively new company, Sterling Gaming, Inc., has grown to become o*ne of the largest distributors in the world of billiards supplies. Sterling is the North American distributor of Fury Cues, voted the favorite pool cue of players o*n a recent Internet poll. Sterling increases the public awareness of their products by sponsoring professional players, professional tournaments, and amateur tours. They are the supplier of over 1,500 poolrooms and billiard supply stores and more than 50 o*nline retailers.

About Spheragon Publishing
InsidePOOL Magazine is recognized as the billiards magazine preferred by pool players. Since their first issue in December 2001, it has gained a large fan base resulting from their excellent coverage of professional and amateur events, instructional columns by top-ranked players Allison Fisher and Johnny Archer, and a groundbreaking format.

For more information, contact Scott Taylor with Sterling Gaming, Inc., at (877) 283-7444 or JR Calvert with Spheragon Publishing at (724) 543-3700.

END QUOTE

AuntyDan
04-18-2005, 01:47 PM
The email on the 14th stated as fact that Sterling had nothing to do with underwriting Inside Pool's business in any way.

John, I don't want to be argumentative but the email on the 14th said "Neither Sterling Gaming, Inc. nor Fury Cues have ANYTHING to do with InsidePOOL or InsidePOOL.com, except for being an advertiser in the magazine, and being a supplier for the website. We have NEVER had any equity position in InsidePOOL, despite rumors that were floating around a few years ago, and ones that have recently surfaced."

The statement about not holding an equity position (Which I make no dispute over) is clearly seperate from the statement that says they do not have anything to do with the IP business, with the emphasis on the word "ANYTHING". In my opinion negotiating for 6 months to take over a major part of a business classifies as having "SOMETHING" to do with that business beyond simply being an advertiser and supplier. I appreciate if the deal had fallen through Sterling would most likely never have informed the public about it, but if Sterling knew there was a good chance of the deal being completed it seems like a poor decision to make such a categorical statement. It has given the appearance of a level of deception of the public in the light of the press release of the 17th. I'm sure this was not intended, but this explains why Sterling is now receiving some negative reactions.

Thank you for confirming that the magazine production will be seperate from the portion of the business that Sterling have taken over. However I and others here placed their magazine subscription orders directly on InsidePool.com website that Sterling has now taken over and states it is attempting to fulfill all orders from. It also appears to still be possible to place an IP magazine subscription order on the InsidePool.com website.

I would appreciate some clear indication of how these magazine subscription orders will be handled and by whom, especially for customers who may want a refund at this point on magazine subscriptions. Yes, I have also emailed Scott Taylor directly, but as Sterling are chosing to post here where they have many current and potential customers I felt they would want to establish what will happen next in public.

onepocketchump
04-18-2005, 02:09 PM

Get Real!

Dear sir,

At what point can you possibly hold Sterling Gaming responsible for ANYTHING done by Inside Pool? Only at the point where Sterling Gaming takes ownership. Until that point there was NOTHING that Sterling Gaming could do other than process whatever orders that they were paid for.

As a self-described honest businessman, what part of Sterling's public statement to service Inside Pool's customers is unclear to you?

I personally think that your statement above in in error and not in keeping with what has been publicly stated.

Stering Gaming enjoys a sterling reputation because of two things, 1. the customer is ALWAYS taken care of and 2. our bills are ALWAYS paid on time.

If Scott Taylor says every customer will be taken care of then you can bet your life that they will be.

Sincerely,

John Barton
Sterling Gaming

onepocketchump
04-18-2005, 02:21 PM
John, I don't want to be argumentative but the email on the 14th said "Neither Sterling Gaming, Inc. nor Fury Cues have ANYTHING to do with InsidePOOL or InsidePOOL.com, except for being an advertiser in the magazine, and being a supplier for the website. We have NEVER had any equity position in InsidePOOL, despite rumors that were floating around a few years ago, and ones that have recently surfaced."

The statement about not holding an equity position (Which I make no dispute over) is clearly seperate from the statement that says they do not have anything to do with the IP business, with the emphasis on the word "ANYTHING". In my opinion negotiating for 6 months to take over a major part of a business classifies as having "SOMETHING" to do with that business beyond simply being an advertiser and supplier. I appreciate if the deal had fallen through Sterling would most likely never have informed the public about it, but if Sterling knew there was a good chance of the deal being completed it seems like a poor decision to make such a categorical statement. It has given the appearance of a level of deception of the public in the light of the press release of the 17th. I'm sure this was not intended, but this explains why Sterling is now receiving some negative reactions.

Thank you for confirming that the magazine production will be seperate from the portion of the business that Sterling have taken over. However I and others here placed their magazine subscription orders directly on InsidePool.com website that Sterling has now taken over and states it is attempting to fulfill all orders from. It also appears to still be possible to place an IP magazine subscription order on the InsidePool.com website.

I would appreciate some clear indication of how these magazine subscription orders will be handled and by whom, especially for customers who may want a refund at this point on magazine subscriptions. Yes, I have also emailed Scott Taylor directly, but as Sterling are chosing to post here where they have many current and potential customers I felt they would want to establish what will happen next in public.

The issue was whether Sterling was underwriting Inside Pool and that is what Scott spoke to. If you want to nitpick then you could make a case that the word "anything" encompasses any and all communications both personal and business. However, I think that most people understood the answer clearly as it was intended. Furthermore, from a purely business standpoint it would have been foolish to reveal any aquisition negotiations before the deal was done. There was no obligation neither moral or ethical to reveal such information.

As I stated in the earlier post all magazine issues are going to be handled by Inside Pool the magazine. The phone number, once again, is 724-543-2635 for the magazine.

The next few weeks will tell you if Sterling will live up to it's promises. We have all spent the entire day reassuring customers who are happy just to get to talk to someone. It is the customers that are important and that is who we have made the commitment to.

John Barton
Sterling Gaming

Tom In Cincy
04-18-2005, 02:49 PM
If Scott Taylor says every customer will be taken care of then you can bet your life that they will be.

John Barton
Sterling Gaming

Kinda Biased aren't you John?

When was the last time anyone would BET their LIFE on anyone or anything in the pool industry?

We all must wait WEEKS for results.

Hopefully, the results will be what everyone expects.

BigRigTom
04-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Dear sir,

At what point can you possibly hold Sterling Gaming responsible for ANYTHING done by Inside Pool? Only at the point where Sterling Gaming takes ownership. Until that point there was NOTHING that Sterling Gaming could do other than process whatever orders that they were paid for.

As a self-described honest businessman, what part of Sterling's public statement to service Inside Pool's customers is unclear to you?

I personally think that your statement above in in error and not in keeping with what has been publicly stated.

Stering Gaming enjoys a sterling reputation because of two things, 1. the customer is ALWAYS taken care of and 2. our bills are ALWAYS paid on time.

Sincerely,

John Barton
Sterling Gaming

Dear John Barton,
I know we just spoke on the phone about several issuse but I feel compelled to respond to your post.....

At what point does Sterling Games choose to take responsibility for the actions of InsidePool.com?

Scott of Sterling Games unilaterally chose to post that disclaimer on April 13th on the CCB only 3 days before the press release to of April 16th announcing the buy out of InsidePool.com as a result of over 6 months of talks.
What whas Scott thinking on 4/13 that couldn't wait until 4/16.
If necessary to say anything on 4/13, why couldn't he just state that Sterling was not financially backing Insidepool and let it go at that. The post of 4/13 was misleading at best and certainly did nothing to advance your present stance that you will now take care of ALL of the InsidePool.com customers who are currently wondering what is going on with the orders they have placed and paid for.
You very well may be able to straighten all this out and I wish you all the best fortune doing just that. Take care of all those customers and make things right for them and we will all be cheering you on.
In the long run it is not me you need to convince that your intentions are honorable but the very customers you are promising to serve and they will be your ultimate judges as well.

onepocketchump
04-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Kinda Biased aren't you John?

When was the last time anyone would BET their LIFE on anyone or anything in the pool industry?

We all must wait WEEKS for results.

Hopefully, the results will be what everyone expects.

That's how much I believe in Scott Taylor. It's why I chose to work for him rather than start another company.

You know as well as I do that messes take time to clean up. There is no way on earth that we can wade through months of orders in a few days.

Time will tell,

John

onepocketchump
04-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Dear John Barton,
I know we just spoke on the phone about several issuse but I feel compelled to respond to your post.....

At what point does Sterling Games choose to take responsibility for the actions of InsidePool.com?

Scott of Sterling Games unilaterally chose to post that disclaimer on April 13th on the CCB only 3 days before the press release to of April 16th announcing the buy out of InsidePool.com as a result of over 6 months of talks.
What whas Scott thinking on 4/13 that couldn't wait until 4/16.

If necessary to say anything on 4/13, why couldn't he just state that Sterling was not financially backing Insidepool and let it go at that. The post of 4/13 was misleading at best and certainly did nothing to advance your present stance that you will now take care of ALL of the InsidePool.com customers who are currently wondering what is going on with the orders they have placed and paid for.
You very well may be able to straighten all this out and I wish you all the best fortune doing just that. Take care of all those customers and make things right for them and we will all be cheering you on.
In the long run it is not me you need to convince that your intentions are honorable but the very customers you are promising to serve and they will be your ultimate judges as well.

I can't ever speak for what Scott was or is thinking. The way I read the email - and I had NO INPUT on it at all - was simply that Scott was providing the proper distance and background of the relationship while maintaining the competitive edge of not revealing any talks of aquisition.

And in the press release and subsequent committment to Inside Pool's customers Scott clearly indicated that as the new owner we will step up to the plate and take care of those customers.

You can infer what you want to from the posts made by Scott. I can assure you though that the "deal" was far from done when Scott made the first post. Scott Taylor, Matt Carter and JR Calvert have worked tirelessly during the past four days to work out an agreement that allows the consumers to be taken care of.

And ultimately, that's ALL this is about. Making sure that the consumer get's satisfaction and service. Those two things are assured when dealing with Sterling Gaming.

John Barton

BigRigTom
04-18-2005, 04:12 PM
I can't ever speak for what Scott was or is thinking. The way I read the email - and I had NO INPUT on it at all - was simply that Scott was providing the proper distance and background of the relationship while maintaining the competitive edge of not revealing any talks of aquisition.

And in the press release and subsequent committment to Inside Pool's customers Scott clearly indicated that as the new owner we will step up to the plate and take care of those customers.

You can infer what you want to from the posts made by Scott. I can assure you though that the "deal" was far from done when Scott made the first post. Scott Taylor, Matt Carter and JR Calvert have worked tirelessly during the past four days to work out an agreement that allows the consumers to be taken care of.

And ultimately, that's ALL this is about. Making sure that the consumer get's satisfaction and service. Those two things are assured when dealing with Sterling Gaming.

John Barton

Sounds Great John,
I again wish you all the best at Sterling Games and will look forward to your success as well as the success of Inside Pool Magazine.

KBP
04-18-2005, 05:30 PM
I can attest to the customer being taken care of from being a customer and the rooms that book my events are very pleased with the customer relationship and the satisfaction they get by ordering through Sterling. They all say that they are well taken care of by the staff and their orders got to them quicker than they expected. Let Sterling show you what they can do instead of being small minded and nick picking everythng to death
Kay

KBP
04-18-2005, 05:33 PM
I just want my magazine!

I still don't have the one with Marcus Chamut on the front cover!

Oy...*bangs head on keyboard*

Icky Monday here,
Shorty

Shorty,
I usually get several mags from IP to give to the players. I will see what I can get sent your way through my TD till you can get your subscription straight. I think I have a few extra back issues and if I do I will set them aside for you. Hope to see you at our next tournament. We've also booked some more stops for Anastasia so we will be seeing a lot of you.
Kay

proficient
04-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Inside Pool has used their Alexa rating for months to claim that they have higher traffic than AzB. Any webmaster who knows his business at all knows that Alexa's ratings are extremely easily manipulated and most professionals consider those rankings worthless.

Check out some of the threads on various webmastering forums....

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153286
http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156775
http://www.webproworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=4562
http://www.webproworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=36045

And some interesting quotes...

"Based on what I have seen - using Alexa to estimate site traffic is a worse alternative to guessing"

-------------------

"In my industry, there is one GINORMOUS Web site that at the height of the Internet boom got millions of dollars in venture capital (site A). The site currently gets a crapload of traffic. It's not unusal for the forums to have 2000 users online at the busiest time of the day.

So somehow this other little site (site B) gets a real high Alexa ranking - way higher than site A. Site B might have 150 users online when site A has 2000, but Site B ranks WAY higher on Alexa.

The result? Site B gets cocky and combines the Alexa ranking with some BS bloated statistics in their media kit - and voila - the Webs biggest site in the industry is born out of smoke and mirrors. Its a discredit to all of us other sites that are trying to build businesses in this niche."

----------------------------

"I wouldn't worry about the Alexa ranking. My experience has mirrored what alot of others here have said...in that it is almost completely useless.

It never brought me one customer, made one sale for me, increased my traffic, or anything else that matters. Just something to consider..."

---------------------------

"I should also point out that PestPatrol (Alexa voted #1 pest at PestPatrol) and Adaware consider Alexa spyware/adware because it records things that you do. It will even record text entered into web forms including usernames and passwords if it becomes part of the URL. Hmmm.... "

-----------------------

"Using Alexa?? You've got to be kidding. Any analysis of the Alexa stats are about as useful as tarot cards or a ouija board for getting traffic numbers.

It's unbelievable when people talk about using Alexa for anything other then a punchline. You lose all credibility as soon as you mention Alexa unless you preface it with "have you heard this one before..."."

There are a wide variety of tools and tricks out there on the net to artificially boost your Alexa rankings....

fakerank and alexabooster are two of the more widely used programs for this.

There are also threads on many of the webmastering forums that explain how to manipulate the Alexa rankings without any additional software/.

Here is an interesting link to a site that did a study on the Alexa rankings as compared to their real traffic #s.

http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/utilities/alexa/

Now I am not saying that anyone at Insidepool.com would ever stoop so low as to artificially manipulate their Alexa stats in order to claim their site was the highest trafficked on the net. Former employees have admitted that they were asked to go to bizrate and fill out fake reviews of the site saying it was a great buying experience, but certainly they would not do something like manipulating their Alexa ranking.

Mike

I also agree that Alexa stats are not accurate. I clicked on a comparison vs. proficientbilliards and it shows a screenshot from our website from 2 years ago. When we do spyware checks on our machines alexa comes up as one and is removed. If you wonder if you have spyware on your computer here is a good program Spybot 1.3 http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

In our experience web hits and popularity come from good web placement, it is how things are found on the web. The stats for IP as shown by Alexa seem very high for such low web placement. The real stats for the site would come from its control panel.

Ranking software is used here to show a comparison of AZbilliards, InsidePOOL, and ProficientBilliards (shown as a control) using the keyword "billiards". Shown are 8 search engines, but the big ones to look at are Google, MSN, and Yahoo. The depth of the search was the top 100 page ranks (roughly 10 pages deep). If a website can pull those kind of numbers having only a #12 page rank on Lycos then proficient needs to talk to their webmaster, because they truly are a master.

Page Ranks / Search Depth 100 - keyword "billiards"
http://www.proficientbilliards.com/thisweekat/rank.jpg

The Railbird
04-28-2005, 09:22 PM
More news comes to light on this whole ordeal...

(Pasted from Billiards Digest forums)

Insidepool.com Update
-------------- ------

We here at Sterling Gaming have been hard at work every day since I last
emailed you on April 18 to find every Insidepool.com customer who paid for
merchandise that was never received. In fact, most of us have been working
14 to 16 hour days to bring to an end the "customer disservice nightmare"
most of you have experienced.

The deeper we got into this, the worse we found the situation to be. Some
orders going back to December had been paid for, but were never shipped to
the customer. For the most part, no orders were sent to customers that
placed them after the beginning of February. Time after time, customers
that called in were simply lied to, with the "stock" responses being:
1. "That shipped out on xxxx via the USPS"
2. "Oh, you STILL haven't gotten it? We will put a tracer on it, and
send your order out again. If you receive a second shipment, simply
refuse it."
3. "Our computer systems were unable to read the UPS tracking
information, so we can't give you a tracking number."
4. "Our computers were down last week, but we'll look into it and get back
to you."
5. (My personal favorite...) "What? Didn't you hear about the big fire
at UPS? It has been all over the news!"

It became very clear to us that the ownership of insidepool.com was
definitely having serious cash flow problems, and was using its customer's
money, YOUR money, to keep themselves afloat.

Now, I'm not sure if it is clear to you, but we are NOT the company that you
paid for the products that were never sent. We, Sterling Gaming, Inc., used
to be the primary supplier to insidepool.com. The old owners of
insidepool.com not only were taking orders (and payment!) and not shipping
out product, but they also owed us over $100,000 for items we sent out on
their behalf. We've stepped in and taken over the site in an attempt to make
things right as best we can.

Since we were only one of four suppliers to the company, we are unable to
supply all of the items they had offered for sale. Unfortunately, your
order contains one or more of those items. At this point, other than
helping you to get your money back, there is little we can do.

I'd like to ask you to call your credit card company (their number is on the
back of your card) and dispute the charge, informing them that you never
received the items you ordered. They should credit you instantly. If you
are unfamiliar with this process, it is very simple, and your credit card
company will help you through it. Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. It
is doubtful, but should they require any documentation that the products
were never shipped, we can provide that to you. This will probably not be
necessary, but please feel free to contact us should they ask for something
like this. For clarification, we cannot credit you, since we were not the
people you paid in the first place. However, we're committed to helping you
get your money back, so please let us know how we can help.

Once you get your money back, and if you wish to purchase some billiards
supplies from a reputable company, we would strongly recommend
www.cuesight.com. This is a site that we own and operate. It has been one
of the most popular billiards sites since 1999. We have a five-star,
top-service rating with Yahoo. If you'd like the name of a reputable
company with which we have no ownership ties, we'd recommend
www.billiardwarehouse.com or www.platinumbilliards.com.

I'm so sorry that you had suffered such a bad experience with the former
owners of insidepool.com. I'm glad, though, that we are now in a position
to help you.

At this stage in the game, we are canceling your order out of the old
insidepool.com system, since there is no way we can fill it.

If there is anything you need, please don't hesitate to call us, toll-free,
at 1-877-283-7444. We'd prefer to speak with you on the phone
directly instead of using email. We'll be able to serve you better
that way!

Best regards,

S. Scott Taylor, President
Sterling Gaming, Inc.

watchez
02-19-2007, 04:10 PM
.........bump