PDA

View Full Version : Calling balls on 9-ball break/Safe Break 14.1 bk

christopheradam
04-17-2005, 09:39 AM
What does everyone think about taking the break out of the equation for 9-ball and making the rule that you have to call a ball on the break like straight pool.
Most would probably do a safe break or try to call the one in the side off the break requiring more of a skilled break.

I've read somewhere that Efren said that in the game of one pocket, "the better player will usually win" and in 9ball "the player breaking better will usually win"
Comments, suggestions?

vapoolplayer
04-17-2005, 11:17 AM
What does everyone think about taking the break out of the equation for 9-ball and making the rule that you have to call a ball on the break like straight pool.
Most would probably do a safe break or try to call the one in the side off the break requiring more of a skilled break.

I've read somewhere that Efren said that in the game of one pocket, "the better player will usually win" and in 9ball "the player breaking better will usually win"
Comments, suggestions?

have you ever tried to call a ball on a 9 ball break????? not a good idea at all.

VAP

AceHigh
04-17-2005, 12:00 PM
have you ever tried to call a ball on a 9 ball break????? not a good idea at all.

VAP

just call the wingball in the corner pocket, or the one in the side.

those are your best options.

christopheradam
04-17-2005, 12:02 PM

VAP

Exactly, thats why most would not try to call a ball on the break and opening shot would be a shot similair to a straight pool break/safe break.

ceebee
04-17-2005, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE; I've read somewhere that Efren said that in the game of one pocket, "the better player will usually win" and in 9ball "the player breaking better will usually win" [/QUOTE]

Now isn't that a quotable quote... Yabba Dabba doo.

The very same thing is said all across the land & everytime billiards is on TV, but who cares... nobody practices the break shot. Every book on pocket billiards has a similar statement too.

The break shot is the most complex shot on the table, but nobody wants to practice that shot. The break shot also has a lot of game control tied to it, however that power is not always employed by players.

The good players that have good breaks are very glad of that.

[QUOTE; Most would probably do a safe break ENDQUOTE]

this may be a good consideration when playing someone that is possibly a runout player. However, you better be knowledgeable about the diamond system, have good jump cue skills & play good safety pool yourself. Jumping in the pond with bigger fish is dangerous, unless you are a big fish too.

You can actually win, playing defensive pool, but you have to possess top notch defensive skills, to win in the long run.

NOTE; At some point or another, you need to take the offensive shot to gain control of the game. Good shooting skills & good judgement will assist you in knowing when that point, in the game, has arrived.

vapoolplayer
04-17-2005, 03:19 PM
just call the wingball in the corner pocket, or the one in the side.

those are your best options.

the more i see your posts, the more a question keeps forming in my head............

do you know anything about playing pool........at all???

VAP

JoeyInCali
04-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Why don't we just bring back rotation?
Race to 61 points. Call shots.

AceHigh
04-17-2005, 07:56 PM
the more i see your posts, the more a question keeps forming in my head............

do you know anything about playing pool........at all???

VAP

Am I wrong about the wingball going in the corner pocket on the break? No. . . so to answer your question, yes I know plenty about playing pool.

vapoolplayer
04-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Am I wrong about the wingball going in the corner pocket on the break? No. . . so to answer your question, yes I know plenty about playing pool.

well then, you won't mind telling the forum a few things then.

when you inspect the rack.............

how can you tell whether you should call the 1 ball in the side?

how about the 1 ball in the upper corner pocket on the side you are breaking from?

how would you know which wing ball to call???

once you see which ball you should call, how can you tell where to break from?

i won't hold my breath for the answers though..

VAP

woody_968
04-17-2005, 09:03 PM
how would you know which wing ball to call???

Actually, if you read Joe Tucker's racking secrets you will have a good idea of which wing ball to call.

For the record, I think its a bad idea to make nine ball a call ball game, on the break or any other time. Nine ball is not my favorite game, but to go and make it a call pocket game is nuts IMO. The only way it could even be remotely possible is to go back to the two foul rules.

vapoolplayer
04-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Actually, if you read Joe Tucker's racking secrets you will have a good idea of which wing ball to call.

For the record, I think its a bad idea to make nine ball a call ball game, on the break or any other time. Nine ball is not my favorite game, but to go and make it a call pocket game is nuts IMO. The only way it could even be remotely possible is to go back to the two foul rules.

oh i know you can, and how to do it woody. he just made the statement like it would be easy to call a ball, and most people would have no idea how to really call a ball. they would only be guessing each time. thats all i was trying to say.

i don't think you should have to call a ball off the break, but i do think that 9 ball should be a called shot game.

VAP

woody_968
04-17-2005, 09:22 PM
i don't think you should have to call a ball off the break, but i do think that 9 ball should be a called shot game.

VAP

I misunderstood your origianl post,, I figured you would know a ball could be called LOL.

But I dont agree with call shot nine ball. Do you think more games are won because someone slops a ball in or because when someone misses they get a lucky leave? There is just no way to take the luck out of nineball.

vapoolplayer
04-17-2005, 09:26 PM
I misunderstood your origianl post,, I figured you would know a ball could be called LOL.

But I dont agree with call shot nine ball. Do you think more games are won because someone slops a ball in or because when someone misses they get a lucky leave? There is just no way to take the luck out of nineball.

i agree, there is no way to take luck out of ANY game played on a pool table, as you will always have someone ending up with a lucky leave. even in 1 pocket, sometimes the cue will get away from someone and end up frozen to a ball.

calling the shots would reduce a little of the luck, but in no way would it eliminate it.

VAP