PDA

View Full Version : 3 cushion billiards vs.1 pocket

bobroberts
04-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Which is harder to master?
Which is more entertaining ?

bobroberts
04-17-2005, 03:41 PM
i screwed uo the poll.If you think 3 cushion is harder then enter it.If not dont vote,same as to entertaining.I hope that makes sense.

Rickw
04-17-2005, 03:48 PM
These two games are so different it's hard to say. Three cushion is hard to play because there aren't that many opportunities for most people to be able to play it. I'd venture a guess that many people don't have the opportunity to play at all because there are no billiard tables for them to play on.

I think it would be harder to master 1h if all things were equal. There are so many different ways to play 1h. Of course there are usually two or three different ways to make a point in 3c too. This is a tough question to answer. I start thinking one game is harder and then realize the other game is also difficult in it's own way. A beginning player of either game isn't going to like to play someone who already knows how to play the game that's for sure.

vapoolplayer
04-17-2005, 03:57 PM
two different games, way different. very hard to compare.

for example, 3C is played on a heated table, you can do things that you can't do on a pool table.

if pool tables were kept at the same temperature, you would see a huge difference.

its like comparing pool to snooker........

there is a local A+ player, that at this very moment, i cannot beat on a pool table, but on a snooker table, i've got the nuts.

i'd say they are both equally as challenging to master, as they both have an infinite number of possible situations.

as far as entertaining, depends on my mood.

VAP

sjm
04-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Three cushion is a game of countless strokes and a wider range of strokes than any pool player will ever need. It's great to watch because you'll see players do things with the cue ball you're not accustomed to seeing. At the pool table, the game that is least about stroke is definitely one pocket. One pocket is far more of a chess match and a war of attrition, stressing speed control and gradual development of opportunities through a sometimes endless stream of tactical plays. To master either of these games is very difficult, ansd it's not clear how you'd compare them, for they seem to have so little in common.

More entertaining? That's easy. For the viewer, one pocket is BY FAR THE LEAST entertaining game in the history of the green felt. It's a beautiful game, but, too often, it develops at snails pace. If two players need forty five minutes to complete a rack, they're truly horrible players ..... unless, of course, they are one pocket players, fully licensed to put onlookers to sleep.

I recall a rack of one pocket played at the old Chelsea Billiards between Grady and Varner, in 1996, if memory serves. They were racing to 3, and the score was 2 - 2. And then came one of those racks that can only come up in one-pocket. After over half an hour of it, I was so entertained and fascinated by it, I went home and went to sleep.

Kevin
04-18-2005, 01:48 AM
Age helps with both games, you remember patterns that worked before. And in both games, success comes from really knowing where whitey is going around the banks. Other than that, they are way different games.

I enjoy the tactical plays from one pocket, moving balls and getting safe, leaving your opponent headaches, etc. In (at least my game of) 3-cushion, it is more about you and the table situation, then trying to sort out from the various options what has the best chances. One pocket can be lost with one mistake, while 3 cushion is a slower accretion of good shots. One pocket encourages crushing the opponent then standing over his remains to great applause. In 3-cushion you applaud your opponents shots and every game is friendly.

Renegade
04-18-2005, 02:13 AM
I heard efren is a master at both.

Rickw
04-18-2005, 07:17 AM
I heard efren is a master at both.

From what I've seen and heard, Efren is the master at 1h but he's just a very good player at 3c. Efren is probably the best 1h player on the planet, he beat Joiner giving him a spot. Efren does not play enough 3c to beat the best in the world. Maybe if he started playing it all the time he could but that isn't the case, at least right now it isn't.

Jude Rosenstock
04-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Three cushion is a game of countless strokes and a wider range of strokes than any pool player will ever need. It's great to watch because you'll see players do things with the cue ball you're not accustomed to seeing. At the pool table, the game that is least about stroke is definitely one pocket. One pocket is far more of a chess match and a war of attrition, stressing speed control and gradual development of opportunities through a sometimes endless stream of tactical plays. To master either of these games is very difficult, ansd it's not clear how you'd compare them, for they seem to have so little in common.

More entertaining? That's easy. For the viewer, one pocket is BY FAR THE LEAST entertaining game in the history of the green felt. It's a beautiful game, but, too often, it develops at snails pace. If two players need forty five minutes to complete a rack, they're truly horrible players ..... unless, of course, they are one pocket players, fully licensed to put onlookers to sleep.

I recall a rack of one pocket played at the old Chelsea Billiards between Grady and Varner, in 1996, if memory serves. They were racing to 3, and the score was 2 - 2. And then came one of those racks that can only come up in one-pocket. After over half an hour of it, I was so entertained and fascinated by it, I went home and went to sleep.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I do agree with you SJM, 3-cushion is so much more fun to watch. I cannot tell you how enjoyable it was going out to Carom Cafe and watching Sang Lee put runs together. He was a marvel to watch and honestly, as beautiful a game as 1-hole is, I don't think I'll ever be as fascinated by ANY 1-pocket player as I was by Mr. Lee.

lewdo26
04-18-2005, 09:46 AM
From what I understand, Varner has one of the most conservative styles of one pocket play. Still, sjm, I think I would have downed a cup of coffee and stayed!