PDA

View Full Version : What happened to tv coverage of the Canadian Championships?

Cameron Smith
01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
What happened? I remember watching some Canadian Tournaments on tsn back in 2004-2005, ie. Molson Cup and Border Battle.

Everyone who is 25 and older can remember watching Canadian Snooker on television as well.

DaveK
01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
What happened? I remember watching some Canadian Tournaments on tsn back in 2004-2005, ie. Molson Cup and Border Battle.

Everyone who is 25 and older can remember watching Canadian Snooker on television as well.

Good question. I recall watching the Canadian 9 Ball championships years back, my friend Quinten Doell was on :eek: .

Dave

Chest Rockwell
01-15-2009, 04:12 PM
I also remember watching lots of tournaments on TSN years before i started playing pool....my understanding on televised events is this......feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.....

Years ago alot of the televised canadian tournaments were sponsored by some of the big tobacco companies.....since tobacco advertising and sponsorship has been outlawed.......the money has dried up.....therefore no more televised tournys.

I'm pretty sure that the Border battle is owned by TSN.......and for some reason, in the last few years......they've decided to put that event on the shelf and have not decided to bring it back.

It's too bad......I always enjoyed watching canadian tournys......maybe TSN will decide to bring back the Border Battle one of these days.

D_Lewis
01-15-2009, 05:49 PM
I also remember watching lots of tournaments on TSN years before i started playing pool....my understanding on televised events is this......feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.....

Years ago alot of the televised canadian tournaments were sponsored by some of the big tobacco companies.....since tobacco advertising and sponsorship has been outlawed.......the money has dried up.....therefore no more televised tournys.

I'm pretty sure that the Border battle is owned by TSN.......and for some reason, in the last few years......they've decided to put that event on the shelf and have not decided to bring it back.

It's too bad......I always enjoyed watching canadian tournys......maybe TSN will decide to bring back the Border Battle one of these days.

Ive heard that the border battle is in the works. Keep your eyes peeled!

seether
01-31-2009, 10:53 AM
I hope that the Border battle come back.I think it should,because i love pool and love watchin it,instead of poker and bowling.

u32
02-02-2009, 10:15 AM
In my humble opionon. TSN & Sportsnet has offically put pool on the back burner unless their is a hole in their schedule.

Sportsnet had amazing coverage of the 9 ball world championships last year in the Phillipines, but not much after that. I would enjoyed seeing the 10 ball as well. Or even this years mosconi cup.

Cameron Smith
02-03-2009, 05:16 PM
In my humble opionon. TSN & Sportsnet has offically put pool on the back burner unless their is a hole in their schedule.

Sportsnet had amazing coverage of the 9 ball world championships last year in the Phillipines, but not much after that. I would enjoyed seeing the 10 ball as well. Or even this years mosconi cup.

there was no 2008 world 9 ball which is why Sportsnet has only been airing re-runs of the World Cup. I believe they have a deal with Matchroom sport or something to that effect. The World 10 ball was with Raya sports, I don't know what kind of distribution rights, or deals they have.

To Sportsnets credit, they were showing the World Pool Masters quite frequently, as well as the 2007 US Open. They are quite reliable in their scheduling. TSN on the other hand rarely shows anything and often drops pool in a heart beat if something better becomes available.

The Mosconi Cup is usually picked up by TSN. They'll probably start airing it sometime later this year.

My biggest concern at the moment, is that Canadian Snooker is dying and nothing is being done about it. If you could get Pot Black on tv, that could generate interest. Or you could produce a Canadian version with our own professionals. It's much more feasible to expect people to sit down and watch a single frame than 6 hours of coverage.

burns420
03-10-2009, 06:37 PM
I remember in the early-mid 90s, there was loads of snooker on TV. Not just one hour match highlights, but they would play the full matches on CBC. I dont think there has been any snooker on TV here in the last 10 years. IMO, its all about the prize money. People enjoy watching poker games for 1 or 2 million, but who wants to watch a snooker match for $5000? We had great players back then to: Cliff Thorburn, Kirk Stevens, Bill Werbeniuk...these guys were living the life back then. Now I see some of them in the local pool halls paying for coffee in nickles. Its really sad what happened to the game here.

The world championships(the 9ball doubles) is on quite a bit on sportsnet I believe, which is pretty good. Hopefully people watch it and it leads to more.

lee brett
03-27-2009, 02:02 PM
im trying to get a canadian snooker tour going again by talking to big companies to see if we can get some sponsorship, tsn would be interested if people can email then asking about this the more people that do it the more they will look at it, where possibly looking at internet streaming and i have an idea of a snooker and pool tour at the same time so if anyone else wants it feel free to email tsn about your interest,
thanks lee brett snooker coach