PDA

View Full Version : Chat room

Porter
04-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Is a chat room a possibility on this site?

Porter

AzHousePro
04-07-2003, 08:54 PM
It is something I have thought about. There are two sites that I know of that had/have chat rooms and the traffic is always very low in them. If I thought it would be used, I would put one up here.

What does everyone think?

If people think it will be used, I will start looking for a good one.

Mike

Warren
04-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by AzHousePro
It is something I have thought about. There are two sites that I know of that had/have chat rooms and the traffic is always very low in them. If I thought it would be used, I would put one up here.

What does everyone think?

If people think it will be used, I will start looking for a good one.

Mike

i'm not sure which chat rooms you might be referring to mike, perhaps you should name them? BD had one at one point although its most successful moments came at times "scheduled" on newsgroups for people to meet. playpool.com has one which is a moderate success. however, uk8ball has one that is a relative huge success, active on on hourly basis (UK time) the most (by FAR) successful "pool" chatroom i have seen. their current program kinda sucks, and as such the participation has gone down a bit, but i have seen no close rivals. the discussion generally varies widely and for the most part would be classified as "non-pool related" but this is to be expected. i also know of a few more sites with chat rooms which vary on "success" rates.

for instance, i got to chat with pat holtz right after he lost to darren appleton (daz, ANOTHER guy i get to talk with) to get into the world championships. he was bummed but still held out hope, and he GOT IN. i have chatted with these guys about almost anything you can think of (and watch out for them in may at the BCA's!!!) This would be like talking to efren and bustamante for those who don't get the picture. and countless others.

go for it, just pick a GOOD program, which does not "brain-fart" like the others. good luck, bro. azbilliards still remains number 1 !!! don't take my word for it, check yourselves!

warren..

AzHousePro
04-08-2003, 12:35 AM
I was referring to BD and playpool.com.

I wasn't aware that UK8ball had a chat area. I am not surprised though, that it is popular. They have done a great job promoting the community environment over there.

Mike

Rickw
04-08-2003, 09:25 AM
I really like the idea of a chat room. I tend to agree with the some of the previous posters, though. People will probably venture away from pool occasionally and use it to try to get a date or something. Also, when there is nothing going on, the chat will die down. On the other hand, those of you that have spent any time in a pool hall, and that's probably all of you, there is more gossip in a pool hall than at any water cooler in any office! Tell me if I'm wrong! You would think then that having a chat area for pool would be great. I know there could be a lot of problems with a chat room, but I'd vote yes to having one.

Kato
04-08-2003, 11:04 AM
If you could get the players in I'm sure chat rooms would be a great thing for pool players. Couldn't work on the CCB. Wouldn't be suprised if Mike couldn't pull it off though.

Kato:D

Porter
04-08-2003, 04:47 PM
I would think it would be succesful if you had a time set that members knew to visit. Maybe limit it to members only. Also if some of the better known players were to host a Q & A sesion that could be interesting.

Porter

AzHousePro
04-08-2003, 06:14 PM
I am starting to talk to some of the players now to see if there is any interest in this sort of thing. I will start checking into what chat software works best with the board.

Mike

czar
04-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Count me in, I think it would be great to discuss issues "live" instead of posting a question and sometimes waiting a few days for an answer. As far as people straying from discussing pool, yes, it will happen to some degree I'm sure. From what I've seen on here so far though, almost everyone seems to be serious about expanding their knowledge of the sport, and will probably spend most of their time on topics appropriate to the site.

Bluewolf
04-10-2003, 05:45 AM
Sounds good to me if it is user friendly. I tried to get in one on playpool and it said I wasnt allowed or something.

Laura

Bluewolf
04-10-2003, 05:49 AM
why not post a poll to see what times of the day or night they would be regulars in a chat room. All get everyone to give their hours in est so it is easier to tell. jmo

Laura

Porter
07-24-2003, 11:05 PM
Mike

Are you still considering this?

Zims Rack
07-24-2003, 11:35 PM
It's not a bad idea IMO, but it might take away from the forum. The forum seems (to me) to be working just fine. I'm just afraid thta if a Chat room is available, the forum will suffer....and I don't think we want that. This is an awesome forum full of educational material and is displayed in a very good manner and everyone is respectful (most of the time)!
JMO though!

Zim

Porter
07-25-2003, 12:23 AM
What I was thinking about was every so often have a scheduled guest Pro for Q & A and discusions.

I agree, This is a great forum and I wouldn't want anything to change in regards to it.

I have seen chat room formats where the dialog is posted for review and that could possibly generate more threads on this forum.

Ruthless
07-25-2003, 02:54 AM
I have several sites that have chat rooms now (Internet Security related) that do fairly well. The others are very right that the ease of use and up-time dependability are critical to their success. Participation has fallen a little since the company called "HearMe" discontinued service. Voice Chats seem to do better than plain text chats. I have tried every major voice chat in service to date (still searching for a good one). It seems people like the ones that have minimum or no download of operating program.

HearMe had voice and text on the same screen so that all could participate at the same time. It would stay at the max. of 40 users on the weekends and avg. around 20 on weeknights. Since I have went to text only chats those #'s have fallen to about half of those previous totals.

I have one now that links each of the sites together with other peoples sites. They all have their own seperate chat rooms and you may change to another site's room by a drop down menu.

If you find a chat program that you like, try to get one that is supported by the programs owner as far as bandwidth is concerned. You will also need a few people willing to moderate the room to keep the chat civil or it will fall rather quickly.

Good Luck and I hope it works out well

LC3
07-25-2003, 03:13 AM
A chat room is a good idea, but people can also list their person-to-person chat ID's in their profile. Speaking of which, can a line for MSN Messenger be added to the user profile page?

bruin70
07-25-2003, 05:14 AM
there's certainly a good one over at wetcanvas.

you'd get traffic if you could get players :):):)

Bob Romano
07-25-2003, 07:29 PM
WELL, I AM ALL FOR A CHAT LINE. WE ALL KNOW THAT I ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT!!

Hey Mike,
How about it? Add it to your list of things to do!
Eydie Romano

thewolf
07-25-2003, 08:33 PM
great idea.. i say give it a whirl:)

AzHousePro
07-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Top priority at the moment is the move of the server to a different location. That is next week. Once that is done, I will get back on the chat software.

Mike

Porter
01-15-2004, 05:01 AM
I renewed this link because I did not know how to attach it to other chat link.

King Cueball
01-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Once again I think this is a great idea and would only make a great site that much better!