PDA

View Full Version : CBSA - Questions?

SteveC
03-13-2009, 01:56 AM
I was directed to this forum a while ago by Scott S. & started reading the "CBSA: What A Joke" thread, but it turned into a Ontario tour name calling fiasco, so I packed it in.

Anyway Scott has recently sent to the CBSA Board some suggestions & constructive criticism that have arisen from this Forum. A lot of it deals with communication.

So, as a CBSA Board member for the last 10 years, here is what I would like to do. If anyone on this Forum would like to identify themselves & ask a question, it would be my pleasure to answer it. Some things I may not be able to go into in detail, & please accept that, but I am sure most things I can & will answer.

If you just want to talk - or type - stupid stuff, I have no time for that, & hopefully the Moderator will delete any foolish posts from this thread. I would perfer just the serious questions & concerns or thoughts. I just feel that it is time for someone other than Scott S. to address these concerns, although Scott does a great job in answering your threats & is very knowledgable in regards to CBSA.

In the last 10 years I have served as President for 7 of them & Treasurer for 1, so I do know what is happening with CBSA. In these 10 years I feel that CBSA has done a lot of good things for Canadian pool & some things that still need work, & are still being worked on.

Although I do not have a lot of time, I will find time to answer any fair question. Ball is now in your court, shoot away.

srs314
03-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Hi Steve and welcome to the forums, I'm sure everyone will appreciate getting the information or sending their suggestions directly to you.

I hope everyone keeps this positive with constuctive questions or ideas to better pool in Canada. After all is that not why we're all here?

taxi man
03-15-2009, 01:12 PM
I think Scott has done a fine job ,and being a big part of shooterville I'm sure he keeps his comments unbias and polite.But for eveybody else it's my right to call it the way I see it.The game has been tainted the last few years in canada because of people running events lying,cheating,stealing and trying to manipulate the system.If you look at a tour like the 30k tour the finals never took place until a year later.That money in the finals was the players money,no money was added,money was stolen and not even a peep from the room owners ,just letting this circus go on because they made there money from it .See that sort of stuff is what should offend you.The game of pool draws out every piece of shit out from under there rocks to try to make a quick buck.Most people that play the game are ****ed in the head,so I guess that would explain the people running it.If pool players where tested for booze or drugs before a major event there would be like 7 people in the field including the ref.You'll never clean the game totally but hopefully people will show enough care that maybe the water will be drinkable one day.

SteveC
03-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Mr. Taxi Man,

You are a bitter man. But I will touch on some of your comments.

1) 30K Tour was a regional tour that had nothing to do with CBSA. So, not sure why you brought that up in a CBSA post. The Tour Director did inquire about spots for the Canadian Championships out of his tour a couple years back, but it did not materialize.

2) I totally disagree with your "lying,cheating,stealing and trying to manipulate the system" quote. I have ran tournaments in the Maritimes for many, many years, & have never done any of the above. And I mean never. Have you ever heard of the late Harold Danielson? He ran events for years in Western Canada, & trust me he was NEVER a lier, cheater, or thief, & I might add he was a past CBSA Board member. I can add people like Jim Wych, Darrell Canning, John White, Tony Retsinas, Ken Botham, etc.... that have ran cue sports events in different Canadian Provinces, with quite a bit of respect from the majority of the players. The only advise that I can give you is to stay away from the organizers that you do not trust. If you do not trust anyone in cue sports, then I suggest you join a bowling league or take up ping pong.

3) Another great quote from you..."If pool players where tested for booze or drugs before a major event there would be like 7 people in the field including the ref." Well Taxi Man, there are drunks & druggies in all facets of life, not only cue sports, & I betcha the percentage is no higher than bowlers or ping pong players, or doctors or lawyers. That is life.

I guess I touched on most of your points. Although I do not agree with you, I do know where you are coming from & do respect that. So all I ask in return is to respect my point of view. And I am staying on the same channel & hopefully some day you will see that it is becoming a better show.

Thanks for your comments.

DelayedJuice
03-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Hello Steve,

I played in the canadian 8 ball championships last year in toronto. I just want to say that i enjoyed my time and met some very nice people there.The pool hall is a nice place and the hotel was nice too. I thought the tournament was run very well and as a player i understood that the prize money wasn't going to be what people had hoped it would be. The prize money is not a big deal for me I just want to compete against the best in the country.

Only 2 questions for you sir:

1.I managed to get to the tournament last year by winning a qualifier and finding sponsors.I did not have a lot of money to get by with in toronto. I was just wondering if the CBSA is going to invest in a shuttle for the players? I understand that having no shuttle would be good if it were held in a conference room in a hotel. Although in Toronto the venue was quite a distance from the hotel and it was only manageable when 3 or 4 pool players all headed back at the same time to split a cab.

2.Will the Canadian Championships ever be held in any of the westerna provinces again? I understand there was an effort to have the event here in Edmonton a few years ago.

taxi man
03-16-2009, 06:19 PM
To say I'm bitter is quite possible,but I would say disappointed is a better word.I guess pool has hit it's all time high when the only 2 sports you compare pool to is bowling and pingpong.Even those 2 sports have surpassed pool.Sponsorship for pool is like pulling teeth and it might be for the additude that since other sports have problems,that its easier to neglect the problem than to fix it.I never said anything about those people you mentioned on your thread,but now I will.The canadian 9 ball tour was a really good tour but had some major flaws that were never addressed.I believe when rules are made you have to standby them because if not then there not rules there just suggestions.On that tour you had to have your entry fee paid by a certain time or you don't get in ''period''.Now I spoke with Jim Wych who did the best job he could ,wanted to stick with that rule but had so much outside pressure to let certain ''big'' players join after the deadline that going against his better judgement, had to let them in.Great players ,good or bad players should abide by the same rules with no special treatment.Lets talk about room owners who are also part of the commitee that handicap the pool players then bet in the calcutta,I find that a conflict of interest,at least it was for Pete Rose.Anybody taking part in handicapping or running the event should not be betting on it.These problems are quite simple to solve and hopefully don't get swept under the rug like they usually do.I truly do love the game,but I think that is my biggest problem.Sometimes I wish I only liked it,then I probably would'nt care at all!

SteveC
03-16-2009, 09:14 PM
To answer your questions:

1) A shuttle was discussed last year, but did not materialize. Insurance rates are really high for such a service. The hotel was going to provide it at first. Anyway I will see what we can do for this year. Even without a shuttle service, I think I can arrange something with the people that do have vehicles at the hotel. No one should have to take a taxi with at least half of the people at the hotel had a vehicle with them. I will bring the topic up at the players meeting.

2) The location for the Canadians is decided on at CBSA's Annual General Meeting each year. Provincial Associations or a promoters submits a proposal to host the event. None of the Western Provinces has expressed an interest to host the event in the last few years. The Championships were scheduled for Edmonton in 2006 & 2007, but the individual that was organizing the event resigned. No sponsors or manpower in place, so CBSA had to change the location to Ontario. I would love to see the Championships in Alberta some day.

srs314
03-17-2009, 09:47 PM
I believe when rules are made you have to standby them because if not then there not rules there just suggestions.On that tour you had to have your entry fee paid by a certain time or you don't get in ''period''.Now I spoke with Jim Wych who did the best job he could ,wanted to stick with that rule but had so much outside pressure to let certain ''big'' players join after the deadline that going against his better judgement, had to let them in.Great players ,good or bad players should abide by the same rules with no special treatment.

Lets talk about room owners who are also part of the commitee that handicap the pool players then bet in the calcutta,I find that a conflict of interest,at least it was for Pete Rose.Anybody taking part in handicapping or running the event should not be betting on it.These problems are quite simple to solve and hopefully don't get swept under the rug like they usually do.

I totaly agree with these two items.

Players who don't pay/enter by a tournament deadline are allowed in so often that they know they can take advantage of it.

Players should not be purchased by anyone who is in control of handicapping. The only way I think this is ok is if they are buying one of the highest handicap players. In the 404 for example John Morra or any 11.

Anyway, I just wanted to support your comments, these are issues that seem to never go away from tour to tour. However I don't think they are problems in the CBSA events that this forum is about.

SonnyCaine
04-20-2009, 10:47 AM
When will they release the date/location of the 2009 Canadians?

Also whats the entry fees for pro/amatuer 9 ball and snooker>?

SteveC
04-20-2009, 11:00 PM
To SonnyCaine - The dates for the Canadians were announced across Canada awhile back. They are as follows:

Open Snooker: Wed. Aug 12th. to Tues. Aug. 18th.
Senior Snooker: Sun. Aug. 16th. to Tues. Aug. 18th.
Amateur 9-Ball (Men & Women): Wed. Aug. 12th. to Fri. Aug. 14th.
8-Ball (Open & Women): Sat. Aug. 15th. to Mon. Aug. 17th.
9-Ball (Open & Women): Tues. Aug. 18th. to Thurs. Aug. 20th.
Junior 9-Ball: Wed. Aug. 19th. to Thurs. Aug. 20th.
10-Ball (Open): Fri. Aug. 21st. to Sun. Aug. 23rd.

If you could let me know what Province you reside in, then I could let you know who you should contact in regards to fees & qualifiers.

This year's event will be played at Shooters Snooker & Sports Club in the GTA, the same venue as 2008.

On another note, the CBSA will be launching a new website in the very near future. Hopefully by the end of May. I will post the new web address here the day that it goes live.

SonnyCaine
04-21-2009, 10:16 AM
Im from Ontario...

SonnyCaine
04-21-2009, 10:20 AM
I plan on playing in them all accept Juniors.......

So id like to kno entry fees. qualifiers? hmm not to interested in those but .. wouldnt hurt to know where they are

SteveC
04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
To play in the Canadian Championships one must be entered in by their respective Provincial Assoc., in your case the Ontario Billiards & Snooker Assoc. (OBSA), or be a former Canadian champion or runner-up.

The President of OBSA is Odie Willet. I suggest you contact him for further information on playing at the Nationals. He can be contacted at:
odbilliard@yahoo.ca

If you are at the event, please say hi.

SonnyCaine
04-22-2009, 12:05 PM
I won the Ontario Juniors 3 times.. does that count?

SteveC
04-22-2009, 08:58 PM
You will have to ask the OBSA if that counts.

SteveC
05-28-2009, 03:42 PM
The Canadian Billiards & Snooker Association (CBSA) is very pleased to announce the launching of a new and improved website. The web address for the new site remains unchanged: www.cbsa.ca

Some of the new features on this site include an events calendar, which can be used by any promoter, Canadian Billiard Association or independent, to advertise their event, plus a profile page that will feature the accomplishments of Canadian cue sports individuals, from coast to coast.

More information will be added to the site in the coming weeks and months, leading up to the Canadian Cue Sports Championships, August 12 – 23, at Shooters Snooker & Sports Club, Toronto ON.

The CBSA would also like to thank their web master, Ross Kimble, Saskatoon, SK, for designing a very colourful and user friendly site. His time and efforts are very much appreciated.

So, please check back often, and follow the “News” link, plus the other links for up to date information on Canadian Cue Sports.

baller
05-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Hello Mr. Cooper,
First of all, I would like to acknowledge the time and effort you have put into the Canadian billiard industry. I don’t expect that the job is very rewarding. I also realize that pool players can be very critical (as noted in these forums).

The new website (www.cbsa.ca) has listed some new sponsors for this years Canadian Championships, namely Predator Cues and Poison Cues. Will these sponsors be adding any $$$ to our biggest tournament of the year? If so, how much?

The amount of money in a particular event can drastically impact the number of players who will participate. It there a particular location where entry fees and payouts will be listed?

SteveC
05-31-2009, 11:55 PM
Hey Baller,

Thanks for your kind words. The job does have some rewarding facets to it. But you are right, pool players can be a rough crowd at times, but it is all good. I have met more nice people, than bad apples.

Now to answer your question. CBSA is very pleased to have some sponsors this year that will provide financial benefits to the prize pool, such as Predator Cue, Yorkland Hotel, & Simonis Cloth. I wish I could give you a total at this time, but I can not.

The total amount will depend on how much revenue is generated from the sponsored Predator product, & how many people stay at the host hotel. The amount will be somewhere between $10,000 to $20,000 added money. These numbers are very conservative on my part, at this point in time. Could possibly be more than $20,000. How the added money will be split amongst the various disciplines will be determined once we know the total.

This will be the first year since 2005 that there will be added money for the Canadian Championships, and the most ever to date.

The prize pool at each Championship is not only cash prizes. There also is expense money to various World events, championship rings, etc....

Each Provincial Association has the sanction fees & payout information. Your Provincial contact person is very easy to find on the new website. They will also have information in how you can compete at the Championships.

Thanks for your question. If you do play at the Canadians, please make sure to introduce yourself & say hi.

SpinDoctor
09-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Does the CBSA receive any federal sponsorship through grant programs for non-profit organizations and if so, where does that money get spent?

SteveC
09-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Cue sports not an olympic sport, so no Federal funding.

gromulan
09-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Why do you keep having the nationals in the middle of summer?

taxi man
09-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I was directed to this forum a while ago by Scott S. & started reading the "CBSA: What A Joke" thread, but it turned into a Ontario tour name calling fiasco, so I packed it in.

Anyway Scott has recently sent to the CBSA Board some suggestions & constructive criticism that have arisen from this Forum. A lot of it deals with communication.

So, as a CBSA Board member for the last 10 years, here is what I would like to do. If anyone on this Forum would like to identify themselves & ask a question, it would be my pleasure to answer it. Some things I may not be able to go into in detail, & please accept that, but I am sure most things I can & will answer.

If you just want to talk - or type - stupid stuff, I have no time for that, & hopefully the Moderator will delete any foolish posts from this thread. I would perfer just the serious questions & concerns or thoughts. I just feel that it is time for someone other than Scott S. to address these concerns, although Scott does a great job in answering your threats & is very knowledgable in regards to CBSA.

In the last 10 years I have served as President for 7 of them & Treasurer for 1, so I do know what is happening with CBSA. In these 10 years I feel that CBSA has done a lot of good things for Canadian pool & some things that still need work, & are still being worked on.

Although I do not have a lot of time, I will find time to answer any fair question. Ball is now in your court, shoot away.
Being in control as long as you have could you explain why 2 players out of dress code allowed to flip a coin then play on a barbox table to decide who advances at the canadian championships where everybody else were on 9 footers,how was this fair for any of the other competitors and why was it kept so hush hush from the other players?Disgraceful in my opinion!

SteveC
09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Why do you keep having the nationals in the middle of summer?

The Canadians have to be after the Provinces are done with their rankings & other quailifiers. Most are done by early May.

May not a good month to hold them because too many are in Vegas. In 2004 & 2005 in Montreal they were held the end of June. In 2006, the year they were suppose to be in AB, we were late getting them organized, so held them in August in Markum, ON. In 2007, the Nationals were part of the SuperEx in Ottawa, so CBSA had to go with their Aug. dates.

In 2008, CBSA were also late in getting them organized, so stayed in Aug. This year CBSA were not late in getting organized, so did not have to be as late in the summer as it was.

In 2010, the plans are to have them at the end of June, and hopefully keeping them in that time slot, but things do change.

Keep in mind that the Provinces that do have ranking schedules want them in June at the earliest, while residents of other Provinces would like them earlier.

I have read some of your other post & trying to figure out who you are. Your initials either BB or BR??

SteveC
09-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Being in control as long as you have could you explain why 2 players out of dress code allowed to flip a coin then play on a barbox table to decide who advances at the canadian championships where everybody else were on 9 footers,how was this fair for any of the other competitors and why was it kept so hush hush from the other players?Disgraceful in my opinion!

Well Scott, I knew I would have to address your complaining eventually, so let's start with your 2 scenerios.

#1 I will call the SM (you) scenerio: SM played in the 2008 Canadians. Knew there was a dress code & played with proper dress. After losing his 2nd match, starting letting off a little frustration, said he would not come back tomorrow to play on B side & did not.

Now, let's roll ahead to 2009. SM shows up to play this year with t-shirt, shorts, & crocks. Nice!!! But at least it was an hour or so before match time. SM was instructed that there was a dress code by event's host, head referee, & me. I also mentioned to SM that you played last year & should have known. SM leaves & comes back with colloured shirt, dress pants & crocks. Getting better, but not 100%. SM was then told again by all that crocks were not dress shoes. SM complains that all were not wearing dress shoes. At that point, I went & asked the head referee, if he okayed all the rest of the dress shoes. He said he did. At the players meeting the night before, in which SM was not present, it was told to all if anyone had any concerns about dress code to ask the head referee. The ones that SM did not think had proper dress shoes were all okayed by ref. That was his job. He said crocks were not dress shoes.

Now it is time for SM to play. Also, as explained at players meetings, each person has 15 minutes to start match. SM decided to go between me, event host, & referee & state his case. He was told by each, referee okayed other shoes, crocks are not dress shoes & you have 15 minutes to get other shoes. Around 20 minutes later, after the result of his match was posted - walk over - SM says to me, "I guess I will have to borrow my friends shoes & play". I am sorry, but I lost my composure at that point. I threw his entry fee on the table, and said a few words. I did apologize to all who heard my rant & rave. But I felt all involved gave SM all the opportunity to play. So, now in 2 years & forfeits 2 matches. Why enter?

Scenerio #2 - Two guys from ON, who drew each other, arrive with t-shirts, shorts & running shoes. Beautiful. Guy #1 had a little time, & guy #2, hardly no time. Guy #1 who arrived a little early went shopping but did not arrive soon enough to play his match. He was told before he left that if he was not back in time, that his match would be forfeited.

Guy #2, who lives in TO West, had no time to go home or go shopping before match time. He was very upset. And I mean very. He explained: "I was one of the first to quailify at Silver Tip. I have been practising a lot & really looking forward to this event. I don't think this is fair. I was never told of the dress code." I explained that this information was available on both CBSA & Snookerline & at the players meeting the night before. His reply, "The only website I knew about was Shooterville & was not told about the meeting."

Then, I started to ponder. All the dress code issues were with ON players. All players from NS, NB, QC, MB, SK, & BC all knew about the dress code & players meetings. As National President, I knew that OBSA were not very organized this year for pool (I hate to type this, but it is true), & did not start holding pool quailfiers in the GTA until well into the summer. Both of these guys were also very sincere in what they were saying. I can usually tell by ones voice & eyes whether someone is trying to sell me swamp land in Florida. I am sure they were telling the truth. Just maybe they were not told & not really their fault.

At this time I was also debating what to do with the draw. If both forfeits, then we have a bye in winners bracket, & 2 names in losers bracket, to play 1 person. I have been around the game many years & have never seen two playing each other on upper bracket both forfeit. While I was thinking this out guy #2 - the upset guy - asked me if there was anyway that the 2 could play once they got clothes. I explained that this would back the draw up, so not possible. Then I started thinking, this is an amateur event, no International spots involved, not a lot of prize money, both of these guys did win a quailifier to play (1 at Silver Tip, 1 at Shooters), both were very sincere in getting to play & not knowing about dress code (although I feel it is their responsibility to know), I said to them:

I need a winner & loser for this match for the draw sheet. I don't care if you flip a coin or whatever, just tell me who won your match. You are right SM, they did play on a bar box that they paid to use. It was away from the tournament tables & you were the only person that has expressed an issue with it. I don't think many knew about it.

In closing, I have a few thoughts.

#1) I stand by all decisions that were made in both scenerios.
#2) I am not sure if how scenerio #2 was handled, was the right thing to do, but I am glad about the decisions that were made. Both guys were gentleman at all times. Both thanked me that they had a chance to play all their matches. Neither cashed, but did play. Both could have left with a sour taste in their mouths, but left happy. Although I don't know either, I respect both & hope they play in future Nationals.
#3) SM - Now you & all that read this know all the facts. I also refuse to get into a pissing match with you. I have nothing else to add to accusations. I put it all on the table. I feel that you are making a big deal about this, because you were not allowed to play in crocks. You think it was disgraceful, well I think it was the ethical thing to do.

As, I mentioned in my very first post in this thread, I jumped into this for Scotty & because he was such an huge supporter of not only CBSA, but Canadian Cue Sports. I hate to say it, but my heart has not been into this forum since Scotty passed away. It took me a month to fianally answer Taxi Man's rants. So, I probably will not be checking this as much.

If any of you do have anything on your mind that I may be able to help with, my email address in on the CBSA website.

I am also a 1 finger typer & been typing a long time & really do not feel like proof reading this for errors. Sorry. I hope there are not a lot of spelling errors. Makes me look stupider than I am!!!

R.I.P. Scotty. This forum will miss you!!!

taxi man
09-04-2009, 05:27 AM
Well Scott, I knew I would have to address your complaining eventually, so let's start with your 2 scenerios.

#1 I will call the SM (you) scenerio: SM played in the 2008 Canadians. Knew there was a dress code & played with proper dress. After losing his 2nd match, starting letting off a little frustration, said he would not come back tomorrow to play on B side & did not.

Now, let's roll ahead to 2009. SM shows up to play this year with t-shirt, shorts, & crocks. Nice!!! But at least it was an hour or so before match time. SM was instructed that there was a dress code by event's host, head referee, & me. I also mentioned to SM that you played last year & should have known. SM leaves & comes back with colloured shirt, dress pants & crocks. Getting better, but not 100%. SM was then told again by all that crocks were not dress shoes. SM complains that all were not wearing dress shoes. At that point, I went & asked the head referee, if he okayed all the rest of the dress shoes. He said he did. At the players meeting the night before, in which SM was not present, it was told to all if anyone had any concerns about dress code to ask the head referee. The ones that SM did not think had proper dress shoes were all okayed by ref. That was his job. He said crocks were not dress shoes.

Now it is time for SM to play. Also, as explained at players meetings, each person has 15 minutes to start match. SM decided to go between me, event host, & referee & state his case. He was told by each, referee okayed other shoes, crocks are not dress shoes & you have 15 minutes to get other shoes. Around 20 minutes later, after the result of his match was posted - walk over - SM says to me, "I guess I will have to borrow my friends shoes & play". I am sorry, but I lost my composure at that point. I threw his entry fee on the table, and said a few words. I did apologize to all who heard my rant & rave. But I felt all involved gave SM all the opportunity to play. So, now in 2 years & forfeits 2 matches. Why enter?

Scenerio #2 - Two guys from ON, who drew each other, arrive with t-shirts, shorts & running shoes. Beautiful. Guy #1 had a little time, & guy #2, hardly no time. Guy #1 who arrived a little early went shopping but did not arrive soon enough to play his match. He was told before he left that if he was not back in time, that his match would be forfeited.

Guy #2, who lives in TO West, had no time to go home or go shopping before match time. He was very upset. And I mean very. He explained: "I was one of the first to quailify at Silver Tip. I have been practising a lot & really looking forward to this event. I don't think this is fair. I was never told of the dress code." I explained that this information was available on both CBSA & Snookerline & at the players meeting the night before. His reply, "The only website I knew about was Shooterville & was not told about the meeting."

Then, I started to ponder. All the dress code issues were with ON players. All players from NS, NB, QC, MB, SK, & BC all knew about the dress code & players meetings. As National President, I knew that OBSA were not very organized this year for pool (I hate to type this, but it is true), & did not start holding pool quailfiers in the GTA until well into the summer. Both of these guys were also very sincere in what they were saying. I can usually tell by ones voice & eyes whether someone is trying to sell me swamp land in Florida. I am sure they were telling the truth. Just maybe they were not told & not really their fault.

At this time I was also debating what to do with the draw. If both forfeits, then we have a bye in winners bracket, & 2 names in losers bracket, to play 1 person. I have been around the game many years & have never seen two playing each other on upper bracket both forfeit. While I was thinking this out guy #2 - the upset guy - asked me if there was anyway that the 2 could play once they got clothes. I explained that this would back the draw up, so not possible. Then I started thinking, this is an amateur event, no International spots involved, not a lot of prize money, both of these guys did win a quailifier to play (1 at Silver Tip, 1 at Shooters), both were very sincere in getting to play & not knowing about dress code (although I feel it is their responsibility to know), I said to them:

I need a winner & loser for this match for the draw sheet. I don't care if you flip a coin or whatever, just tell me who won your match. You are right SM, they did play on a bar box that they paid to use. It was away from the tournament tables & you were the only person that has expressed an issue with it. I don't think many knew about it.

In closing, I have a few thoughts.

#1) I stand by all decisions that were made in both scenerios.
#2) I am not sure if how scenerio #2 was the right thing to do, but I am glad about the decisions that were made. Both guys were gentleman at all times. Both thanked me that they had a chance to play all their matches. Neither cashed, but did play. Both could have left with a sour taste in their mouths, but left happy. Although I don't know either, I respect both & hope they play in future Nationals.
#3) SM - Now you & all that read this know all the facts. I also refuse to get into a pissing match with you. I have nothing else to add to accusations. I put it all on the table. I feel that you are making a big deal about this, because you were not allowed to play in crocks. You think it was disgraceful, well I think it was the ethical thing to do.

As, I mentioned in my very first post in this thread, I jumped into this for Scotty & because he was such an huge supporter of not only CBSA, but Canadian Cue Sports. I hate to say it, but my heart has not been into this forum since Scotty passed away. It took me a month to fianally answer Taxi Man's rants. So, I probably will not be checking this as much.

If any of you do have anything on your mind that I may be able to help with, my email address in on the CBSA website.

I am also a 1 finger typer & been typing a long time & really do not feel like proof reading this for errors. Sorry. I hope there are not a lot of spelling errors. Makes me look stupider than I am!!!

R.I.P. Scotty. This forum will miss you!!!
Look ,I know how much time those players had because I was there.There was a clothing store about 100 feet from the pool hall and these people got to break the rules because they drew each other.And since you said,It was a amateur event then I could of been given the leaway as the 2 guys completly out of dress code.You call what I'm saying rants,but you know you were wrong to decieve the entire feild of players to let them play on a barbox and not to enforce your own rules.There wouldn't of been 1 player to okay what you were doing.As far as the year before,I bowed out after my loss,cause I couldn't make it back the next day.BIG DEAL!Don't try to stray away from the topic,lets keep it clear.My final word on this is,I have no personal issue with you because I don't know you.Being not allowed to play in that event is not an issue.Just seperate rules for some people,when the rules should be followed by everybody is my issue.Enough people who know now what happened thought it was shady,and dishonest.And just because it's an amateur event doesn't mean it can't be run professionally!Thanks

taxi man
09-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Look ,I know how much time those players had because I was there.There was a clothing store about 100 feet from the pool hall and these people got to break the rules because they drew each other.And since you said,It was a amateur event then I could of been given the leaway as the 2 guys completly out of dress code.You call what I'm saying rants,but you know you were wrong to decieve the entire feild of players to let them play on a barbox and not to enforce your own rules.There wouldn't of been 1 player to okay what you were doing.As far as the year before,I bowed out after my loss,cause I couldn't make it back the next day.BIG DEAL!Don't try to stray away from the topic,lets keep it clear.My final word on this is,I have no personal issue with you because I don't know you.Being not allowed to play in that event is not an issue.Just seperate rules for some people,when the rules should be followed by everybody is my issue.Enough people who know now what happened thought it was shady,and dishonest.And just because it's an amateur event doesn't mean it can't be run professionally!Thanks
I had a player who was in the canadians messege me and noticed in your comments,that you were quick to point out the fact that I wasn't at the players meeting but obviously neither were the other players were discussing but you seem to dismiss that fact,and the best question of all he asked me was,if there was a vote with the majority of the players, if the players who are breaking the rules ,could they play there matches on a barbox,what do you think the vote would of been Steve?

JD_Hogg
09-04-2009, 09:18 AM
I had a player who was in the canadians messege me and noticed in your comments,that you were quick to point out the fact that I wasn't at the players meeting but obviously neither were the other players were discussing but you seem to dismiss that fact,and the best question of all he asked me was,if there was a vote with the majority of the players, if the players who are breaking the rules ,could they play there matches on a barbox,what do you think the vote would of been Steve?

Anyone who has played in the Canadians knows about the dress code. Showing up the way you did is kind of laughable….lol

I think Steve explained himself pretty clearly. Whether his decisions were right is a matter of opinion. Personally, I believe all rules are breakable under the right circumstances.

I hope they change the dress code to at least allow running shoes in the future. But if they don’t, follow the dress code and you’ll save yourself all these worries.

It’s always easy for people to spend weeks analyzing what someone should of did, in the few seconds they had to make the decision.

lifes a garden….dig it!!! :)

taxi man
09-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Anyone who has played in the Canadians knows about the dress code. Showing up the way you did is kind of laughable….lol

I think Steve explained himself pretty clearly. Whether his decisions were right is a matter of opinion. Personally, I believe all rules are breakable under the right circumstances.

I hope they change the dress code to at least allow running shoes in the future. But if they don’t, follow the dress code and you’ll save yourself all these worries.

It’s always easy for people to spend weeks analyzing what someone should of did, in the few seconds they had to make the decision.

lifes a garden….dig it!!! :)
I don't know what's laughable about it,they were bias to a few players,and unbias to the ones they liked.He had 45 min to make a decision.When 1 player not me,went out and spent over 200 dollers on proper attire,comes back in the pool hall and see's other guys being allowed to play out of dress code is a piss off.They were upset cause I voice my opinion,and do remember there was a half dozen or more allowed to play not in proper dress code.I'm trying to speak on behalf of the guys who followed the rules but not given the same leaway as the guys who did not.My buddy told me if he knew what was going on he would of shown up the 2nd day out of dress code on purpose,so maybe he could play on a barbox table to.I made my mistake and admitted it,but I guess to make somebody admit it or just realize their mistake may be impossible.I've beat this topic to death so take care and hopefully pool can make a comeback!

gromulan
09-05-2009, 02:45 AM
The Canadians have to be after the Provinces are done with their rankings & other quailifiers. Most are done by early May.

May not a good month to hold them because too many are in Vegas. In 2004 & 2005 in Montreal they were held the end of June. In 2006, the year they were suppose to be in AB, we were late getting them organized, so held them in August in Markum, ON. In 2007, the Nationals were part of the SuperEx in Ottawa, so CBSA had to go with their Aug. dates.

In 2008, CBSA were also late in getting them organized, so stayed in Aug. This year CBSA were not late in getting organized, so did not have to be as late in the summer as it was.

In 2010, the plans are to have them at the end of June, and hopefully keeping them in that time slot, but things do change.

Keep in mind that the Provinces that do have ranking schedules want them in June at the earliest, while residents of other Provinces would like them earlier.

I have read some of your other post & trying to figure out who you are. Your initials either BB or BR??

Why not have them in November, at a time when people might actually be inclined to play?

Celtic
09-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Hello Steve.

It is apparent that there is a definate bias of the CBSA towards Eastern Canada, the Canadian Championships are exclusively run in Eastern provinces and this results in hugely biased fields of predominately Eastern province players. The expense and time commitment of travel from Western Canada for the event is excessive and it limits the people who are able to make their way to the event and thus negatively affect the turnout to the provincial qualifiers themselves.

Thus, I wish to ask. What are the chances of creating a Western Canadian Championships and segmenting the National event into two events within the distinct regions? For people in The Yukon, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba travel between these provinces is far more affordable and less time consuming.

People in Ontario and the Maritimes are hard pressed to ever come to events in the West, it is a rare event indeed for us in Alberta to see a Joe Lawrence or a Alain Martel in an event, even the Canadian tour Jim Wych ran did not draw a great amount of people from the East when a Western tour stop took place, although the fields filled instead with players from the West. The players from both sides of the country tend to avoid the excessive amounts of travel to the other side of the country for a billiards event, and for good reason, we live in a large country. This is an unfortunate reality in a tour like Jim Wych ran, it is far worse in the National Championships though when a bias of the location of the event year after year isolates such a large portion of the national pool playing community from a chance to play for the national championship and a shot to represent their country in the World Championships.

There is more then 1 spot granted to Canada in the world championships (when the event is actually ran) and thus if Western Canada was given the ability to run their own Western Canadian 9-ball, 10-ball and 8-ball Championships under the sanction of the CBSA then a percentage of the world championship spots could be awarded to the winners of finalists of the Western event (depending on the number of spots Canada is awarded due to performance from the previous year in the worlds).

The single Canadian Championship is never going to gain a proper distribution of players from across this country. If the event continues to run only in Eastern Canada then Western Canada is by and large ommited from competing in or participating in the event. If the event does get a time or two to be in Western Canada you will then notice a sharp drop in the ability of many Eastern players who currently compete in the event to make the long trip west and spend that time and money. The only solution is to break up the national championship into two distinct events that each represent their section of the country, allowing people the ability to travel a more practical and reasonable distance to compete in the event.

I could also talk about a certain lack of interest of our representative in advertising the provincial events in my province and his admitted disdain of all cue sports games beyond snooker and his lack of interest in seeing 9-ball, 10-ball, and 8-ball grow in popularity and development. But atm the above issue is a road block, even if we had someone with a true interest in seeing the interest in billiards grow on this side of the country they would have a hard time getting people to play in an event that allows them to spend a couple thousand dollars to travel to Toronto, get a hotel room, and play in an event with very few of their peers or people they know.

I would be happy to talk more about this and help out, the West needs help, and the CBSA has the ability to give a person the power and the sanction and the world championship spots such that someone with a willingness to see the West take a more active part in the National and International stage could actually cause the sport to slowly turn around it's current downturn and begin to grow in popularity again.

If things stay the way they are we are doomed, this sport has been on a downward spiral since I started playing it competitively 15+ years ago, the number of pool halls has dwindled, the number of tournaments both local and large have reduced greatly, the number of pool halls have decreased dramatically, things need to change, because this current path is going nowhere but down.

The farther things are allowed to fall the far greater the climb back up is going to be. And they have been falling for some time now. For the love of this sport, please consider a paradigm shift in the way things are currently done because in no way are they working.

Shane Lyons

taxi man
09-17-2009, 04:02 AM
Hello Steve.

It is apparent that there is a definate bias of the CBSA towards Eastern Canada, the Canadian Championships are exclusively run in Eastern provinces and this results in hugely biased fields of predominately Eastern province players. The expense and time commitment of travel from Western Canada for the event is excessive and it limits the people who are able to make their way to the event and thus negatively affect the turnout to the provincial qualifiers themselves.

Thus, I wish to ask. What are the chances of creating a Western Canadian Championships and segmenting the National event into two events within the distinct regions? For people in The Yukon, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba travel between these provinces is far more affordable and less time consuming.

People in Ontario and the Maritimes are hard pressed to ever come to events in the West, it is a rare event indeed for us in Alberta to see a Joe Lawrence or a Alain Martel in an event, even the Canadian tour Jim Wych ran did not draw a great amount of people from the East when a Western tour stop took place, although the fields filled instead with players from the West. The players from both sides of the country tend to avoid the excessive amounts of travel to the other side of the country for a billiards event, and for good reason, we live in a large country. This is an unfortunate reality in a tour like Jim Wych ran, it is far worse in the National Championships though when a bias of the location of the event year after year isolates such a large portion of the national pool playing community from a chance to play for the national championship and a shot to represent their country in the World Championships.

There is more then 1 spot granted to Canada in the world championships (when the event is actually ran) and thus if Western Canada was given the ability to run their own Western Canadian 9-ball, 10-ball and 8-ball Championships under the sanction of the CBSA then a percentage of the world championship spots could be awarded to the winners of finalists of the Western event (depending on the number of spots Canada is awarded due to performance from the previous year in the worlds).

The single Canadian Championship is never going to gain a proper distribution of players from across this country. If the event continues to run only in Eastern Canada then Western Canada is by and large ommited from competing in or participating in the event. If the event does get a time or two to be in Western Canada you will then notice a sharp drop in the ability of many Eastern players who currently compete in the event to make the long trip west and spend that time and money. The only solution is to break up the national championship into two distinct events that each represent their section of the country, allowing people the ability to travel a more practical and reasonable distance to compete in the event.

I could also talk about a certain lack of interest of our representative in advertising the provincial events in my province and his admitted disdain of all cue sports games beyond snooker and his lack of interest in seeing 9-ball, 10-ball, and 8-ball grow in popularity and development. But atm the above issue is a road block, even if we had someone with a true interest in seeing the interest in billiards grow on this side of the country they would have a hard time getting people to play in an event that allows them to spend a couple thousand dollars to travel to Toronto, get a hotel room, and play in an event with very few of their peers or people they know.

I would be happy to talk more about this and help out, the West needs help, and the CBSA has the ability to give a person the power and the sanction and the world championship spots such that someone with a willingness to see the West take a more active part in the National and International stage could actually cause the sport to slowly turn around it's current downturn and begin to grow in popularity again.

If things stay the way they are we are doomed, this sport has been on a downward spiral since I started playing it competitively 15+ years ago, the number of pool halls has dwindled, the number of tournaments both local and large have reduced greatly, the number of pool halls have decreased dramatically, things need to change, because this current path is going nowhere but down.

The farther things are allowed to fall the far greater the climb back up is going to be. And they have been falling for some time now. For the love of this sport, please consider a paradigm shift in the way things are currently done because in no way are they working.

Shane Lyons
I agree with you but unfortunately its like talking to a brickwall.Since its all volunteer work you get a commitee of people that will agree with you just to get you to go away and continue down the same road of failure.But it's to bad for the players in the west,there's just to much talent out there to let it go to waste.

Celtic
09-17-2009, 09:08 AM
I agree with you but unfortunately its like talking to a brickwall.Since its all volunteer work you get a commitee of people that will agree with you just to get you to go away and continue down the same road of failure.But it's to bad for the players in the west,there's just to much talent out there to let it go to waste.

If they agreed with me and allowed for the world championship spots to be split with some moving to the West I myself would use that to begin to plan for a open Western Canadian Championship that has both money payouts and entry into the world championship of each discipline. If the commitee gets together and sees that changes need to be made in this direction then that decision is an admission that the current path is not the proper direction and that it would behoove them to allow someone in the West the opportunity to organize and develop a better system for pool in the West.

That said, this is all for Steve to respond to as per the point of this thread.

Jason Robichaud
09-17-2009, 02:19 PM
If they agreed with me and allowed for the world championship spots to be split with some moving to the West I myself would use that to begin to plan for a open Western Canadian Championship that has both money payouts and entry into the world championship of each discipline. If the commitee gets together and sees that changes need to be made in this direction then that decision is an admission that the current path is not the proper direction and that it would behoove them to allow someone in the West the opportunity to organize and develop a better system for pool in the West.

That said, this is all for Steve to respond to as per the point of this thread.

There isn't a place out there that will hold a weekly event, where would you host a western/national open event? The west requires a tour that has payouts for the events and holds back % of entry to send spot winners to nationals (expense paid). You need to contact Brad, get a board of directors and get going.

Problems: Rooms don't want the events
Players: Want all the prize money and more.

Good luck

Philthepockets
09-17-2009, 05:17 PM
What would it take for a new western association to become IBSF affiliated/sanctioned ?
After a discussion last night with one of our current local association committee members it is very clear they neither have the know how or the will to progress things and I am getting to the point with all this that I am seriously considering starting a new organization.
We have two rooms out here very close to each other with enough Riley Aristocrats that could easily accommodate the snooker tournaments.
I have many ideas on securing funding and sponsorships from Gvmnt. sports organizations and private companies as well as a vision of grass roots development and competition promotion.
It can be done, just need the right people with the drive and energy to never give up and run down the resources to fund it.
Build it and they will come i say, put up enough money and the players will come back, no question.

Celtic
09-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Phil, I would most definately take part and add my time and effort into the game, trying to at least gain some semblence of a formal regional type of competition that can bring the players across Western Canada together and spur interest back into this sport.

As to working with Brad...

I could care less what a bunch of "shortstops" think of the qualifying process in Alberta or any other province. I love these guys talking game as big bar box specialists....lmfao...learn how to play.
You all have views that I respect and understand, now, how about donating some of YOUR time to promoting the game?
If your interested contact me...didn't think so!!!
And to be honest, I focus on promoting Snooker....thats my goal.

He shows a lack of respect for the players of this sport and has himself admitted that his focus is on promoting snooker, not billiards.

I have no real wish to connect the attempt to build something new and better by first thing connecting myself to a person who has admitted he is not really that interested in seeing the growth of billiards and does not care what the player-base within this province think of the events that they are given to play in.

IMO the players and their thoughts on the proper production and organization of events is an important thing to consider as it is their participation in the events that leads to the success of that event.

seether
09-17-2009, 07:31 PM
To say I'm bitter is quite possible,but I would say disappointed is a better word.I guess pool has hit it's all time high when the only 2 sports you compare pool to is bowling and pingpong.Even those 2 sports have surpassed pool.Sponsorship for pool is like pulling teeth and it might be for the additude that since other sports have problems,that its easier to neglect the problem than to fix it.I never said anything about those people you mentioned on your thread,but now I will.The canadian 9 ball tour was a really good tour but had some major flaws that were never addressed.I believe when rules are made you have to standby them because if not then there not rules there just suggestions.On that tour you had to have your entry fee paid by a certain time or you don't get in ''period''.Now I spoke with Jim Wych who did the best job he could ,wanted to stick with that rule but had so much outside pressure to let certain ''big'' players join after the deadline that going against his better judgement, had to let them in.Great players ,good or bad players should abide by the same rules with no special treatment.Lets talk about room owners who are also part of the commitee that handicap the pool players then bet in the calcutta,I find that a conflict of interest,at least it was for Pete Rose.Anybody taking part in handicapping or running the event should not be betting on it.These problems are quite simple to solve and hopefully don't get swept under the rug like they usually do.I truly do love the game,but I think that is my biggest problem.Sometimes I wish I only liked it,then I probably would'nt care at all!

I love the game of pool,because it is the only sport that has a lot of stratagey,fennesh,and its more fun.You cant fined them things in pingpong or bowling.

seether
09-17-2009, 07:41 PM

Actually why dont they have a Western Canadian Championships here in Alberta and the other puaery provinces,with all the western city's takin turns hosting it every year,instead of relyin on Toronto's Canadians.

Celtic
09-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Actually why dont they have a Western Canadian Championships here in Alberta and the other puaery provinces,with all the western city's takin turns hosting it every year,instead of relyin on Toronto's Canadians.

Thats exactly what is being discussed.

SteveC
09-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Some great points from both of you.

Celtic - Actually the CBSA were working towards a Western Canadian, Eastern Canadian, & Canadian championships each year to fill World spots, then the WPA had to cancel the World's, 9-Ball in 2008 & 2009, & 8-Ball this year. This project has been put on hold until the World events are scheduled again. Nothing yet scheduled for 2010.

CBSA is governed by the Provinces of Canada. At the moment the BC Cue Sports Society is the sanctioned body in BC, although they do not qualify any in pool. AB does not have a functioning association to CBSA at this point in time. There is not even a contact person any longer.

Celtic: It is fine to say that we would like a championships in Western Canada, but I think Jason Robichaud hit the nail on the head, organization is needed first. CBSA needs people from AB to step forward to get things organized. I wish I could do more from NB, but it is tough.

I don't buy the theory that it is too expensive, so no one wants to play. I feel it is all in the organization of it. The late Paul Ridd always raised the money to send Albertans to the Canadians. There was an Association then that raised money through memberships, holding qualifiers, having sanctioned billiard clubs, gov't grants, etc..... When Paul took sick, no one from AB stepped forward to keep the organization in place. Quite a few tried, which I will not name names, but none succeeded. That is what is needed in AB, in my mind. Get the foundation in place, then building the house will be easier.

Philthepockets: I do not think the IBSF would sanction a region of any Country. I do like your thoughts on the rest of your post. Maybe you could request spots from the BCCSS for the Canadians, if that is your wish. As I stated above, BCCSS do not fill a lot of spots, so they may give them to you. After getting organized, then other options, like organizing bigger events could follow.

As CBSA President, I would love to see the Canadian Championships in AB or BC, again. But some group of people or organization would have to bid for them, & provide the financial committment to host them. Sponsors or fund raising is needed.

I also understand that some from AB are still upset because the Canadians were scheduled for Edmonton in 2006, but then moved to Markham, ON. For the record, CBSA wanted to stay in AB, but after the Provincial delegate resigned, there was no one to organize or to provide the financial commitment to host the event. We had a venue - Cue Club - but nothing else in place. Another CBSA Board member found that commitment in ON, so we moved it there.

Anyway, I think I touched on all I wanted. And Celtic - thanks for signing your name. Appreciated.

jMorra89
11-05-2010, 09:03 PM
It all boils down to this, whoever is running the show is doing a poor job seeking sponsorship for our national championships. They are the governing body of pool in Canada, that is a good title to have when your approaching any kind of business or company or whatever for sponsorship.
Also, the advertising is poor for our Canadian championships but there is nothing to advertise because the Canadian championships is no longer a tournament nor important in 100 different ways. So there is no point in advertising for it, it's not prestigious enough to even be thought of anymore let alone advertised
We can go on and on about why it's this and why it's that but the truth is that it's just depressing.
It's now held in my home pool room in Toronto, Shooters Billiards. Year after year now the the room owner and CBSA make all the money, meanwhile us pool players are putting on a great show for nickles and dimes.
Sorry if I offended anyone but that"s the ugly truth.
There is so much more to be said but it's just not worth it anymore.
Pool players are slaves to the game of pool in Canada on every level for the last however many years.
The people who are in charge are well aware of this, and they don't care they just pretend they do!

John Morra

Jason Robichaud
11-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Pool in in a funk, not just the CBSA. Proof.. top players can't afford to play in events.

TSN paying $50,000 for a border battle is kind of gross. they should have added it to the national championship. Canada basically gift wrapped a bunch of money for American players.

Problem with pool....

Sponsors want to make money
Tournament directors want to make money
Host venue want to make money
People renting tables want to make money
People setting up the venue want to make money
Pool players want to make money.

not enough money to pay everyone above.

JD_Hogg
11-06-2010, 08:50 AM
It all boils down to this, whoever is running the show is doing a poor job seeking sponsorship for our national championships. They are the governing body of pool in Canada, that is a good title to have when your approaching any kind of business or company or whatever for sponsorship.
Also, the advertising is poor for our Canadian championships but there is nothing to advertise because the Canadian championships is no longer a tournament nor important in 100 different ways. So there is no point in advertising for it, it's not prestigious enough to even be thought of anymore let alone advertised
We can go on and on about why it's this and why it's that but the truth is that it's just depressing.
It's now held in my home pool room in Toronto, Shooters Billiards. Year after year now the the room owner and CBSA make all the money, meanwhile us pool players are putting on a great show for nickles and dimes.
Sorry if I offended anyone but that"s the ugly truth.
There is so much more to be said but it's just not worth it anymore.
Pool players are slaves to the game of pool in Canada on every level for the last however many years.
The people who are in charge are well aware of this, and they don't care they just pretend they do!

John Morra

If you want to live a long happy life play pool for fun and get a trade....plumber, electrician...

You will make lots of money and not have to worry bout being no slave.

SpinDoctor
11-06-2010, 12:46 PM
If you want to live a long happy life play pool for fun and get a trade....plumber, electrician...

This is almost exactly why nobody is playing out here in Edmonton anymore.

samurai
11-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Pool in in a funk, not just the CBSA. Proof.. top players can't afford to play in events.

TSN paying $50,000 for a border battle is kind of gross. they should have added it to the national championship. Canada basically gift wrapped a bunch of money for American players.

Problem with pool....

Sponsors want to make money
Tournament directors want to make money
Host venue want to make money
People renting tables want to make money
People setting up the venue want to make money
Pool players want to make money.

not enough money to pay everyone above.

Only because our guys couldn't stop them, I know I had a front row seat for the entire match! FYI Our guys got handsomely paid as well, for LOSING, so there shouldn't be any complaints.

All most ever do is complain, but never step up to the plate....or even worse, they pretend to promote and then steal the added money along with the entry fees,.....

you have to add to your last comment...
"pool players want to make money.....
But "MOST" don't want to do anything in return for it, THAT IS THE PROBLEM..... I changed my mind and joined forces with JACCS instead of CBSA....nothing against them, Steve Cooper and the board do the best they can "with what they have to work with", but the juniors are the new future of our sport, and it is the amateur league players that make it possible for the vendors of billiard equipment and such to in turn SPONSOR events for the pros. Not to mention that they are also extremely grateful for what JACCS is trying to do for them, and know how to express their gratitude, they understand that a simple "thank you" goes a long way!

Keep this ranting and complaining going, and pretty soon we won't have anything to play in! Think about it, good tours have come and gone like the Stan James Tour, because the people who put in the effort, either get BURNT and BURN OUT!

Be part of the solution, don't add to existing problems! If you have something constructive to say then people will pay attention.

Gatz
11-07-2010, 05:25 AM

lol John Morra with a job... :lmao:

seether
11-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Ya ;you are working hard in your pool games,and winning tournaments.I know I am a redneck,but I am not from the Maritimes,I live in Edmonton Alberta,I like the game of pool and I am sorry what that i wrote earlier...Although it did look funny.

JD_Hogg
11-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Ya ;you are working at a door and window plant and out of a sudden they hired in John Morra to assemble doors,but there is a problem, John Morra was to afraid to use a nail gun and to afraid to use an a drill or screw gun because he hadnt use anything like that in his life,He is to afriad to use a tool.Known John Morra couldnt figure out how to use a hacksaw,He mite of thought that it was use like a pool and darn near sawed his fingure of.Ever seen the movie called Pool Hall Junkies,when the guy couldnt use a hammer....

...fail...

jMorra89
11-10-2010, 11:53 PM
That was actually pretty funny whatever you were trying to say, I think very few people will understand what you're implying. you must be a red neck from the maritimes or something lmao. You totally went off topic about the mesage i was trying to put across, that's because it's very true and the truth is ugly for Canadian Pool.

And yes I don't use hacksaws, chainsaws, drills and all that other bullshit your quacking about.
so scribble out what you just said because it makes zero sense, maybe it does in your brain but thats about it.

who are you anyway? you sound like someone I know...or someone I don't wanna know.

Jason Robichaud
11-11-2010, 07:27 AM
That was actually pretty funny whatever you were trying to say, I think very few people will understand what you're implying. you must be a red neck from the maritimes or something lmao. You totally went off topic about the mesage i was trying to put across, that's because it's very true and the truth is ugly for Canadian Pool.

And yes I don't use hacksaws, chainsaws, drills and all that other bullshit your quacking about.
so scribble out what you just said because it makes zero sense, maybe it does in your brain but thats about it.

who are you anyway? you sound like someone I know...or someone I don't wanna know.

Red-necks in the Maritimes have jobs and make money!!! Chainsaws, hacksaws, drills and that other bullshit can make you $40,000 - $60,000 a year, give you a car, house, woman, kids and the ability to afford a hobby of pool! Pool gives you?

seether
11-11-2010, 08:20 AM

Good guest,but I am from Alberta.I like Canadian pool and I didnt mean to say that,I ment it as a joke.

seether
11-11-2010, 08:27 AM
...fail...

Are you from Toronto Ontario to?I know that i wrote sounded silly and I 'll try to smarten up,and just play pool and I'll not quack anymore jokes.

seether
11-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Red-necks in the Maritimes have jobs and make money!!! Chainsaws, hacksaws, drills and that other bullshit can make you $40,000 - $60,000 a year, give you a car, house, woman, kids and the ability to afford a hobby of pool! Pool gives you?

Do you play pool?Is there any good pool halls in Fredericton NB?I am thinking on taking a trip to the maritimes.Actually is there any good pool halls in Moncton is what i am asking,or Saint John?I am from Edmonton, Alberta,and dont worry,I got a job as well involving carpentry and manufacturing of doors.

JD_Hogg
11-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Are you from Toronto Ontario to?I know that i wrote sounded silly and I 'll try to smarten up,and just play pool and I'll not quack anymore jokes.

Write whatever you like bud, this forum wouldn't be any fun if people weren't razzin eachother from time to time :)

Jason Robichaud
11-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Do you play pool?Is there any good pool halls in Fredericton NB?I am thinking on taking a trip to the maritimes.Actually is there any good pool halls in Moncton is what i am asking,or Saint John?I am from Edmonton, Alberta,and dont worry,I got a job as well involving carpentry and manufacturing of doors.

I can't shoot, how much you wanna play for?

bgrierson
11-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Phil, I would most definately take part and add my time and effort into the game, trying to at least gain some semblence of a formal regional type of competition that can bring the players across Western Canada together and spur interest back into this sport.

As to working with Brad...

He shows a lack of respect for the players of this sport and has himself admitted that his focus is on promoting snooker, not billiards.

I have no real wish to connect the attempt to build something new and better by first thing connecting myself to a person who has admitted he is not really that interested in seeing the growth of billiards and does not care what the player-base within this province think of the events that they are given to play in.

IMO the players and their thoughts on the proper production and organization of events is an important thing to consider as it is their participation in the events that leads to the success of that event.

I would love to see the growth of all cue sports in Alberta and Canada.
I disagree with the notion that I show a lack of respect for the players as it is quite the opposite. As for Snooker, nobody in the west in the past few years has made an attempt to do anything for the players so I took the idea on (it really is not that involved).
Celtic, you should put your name on the comments you make.
I would work with ANYONE here in Alberta that has the benefit of cue sports in mind and not their wallet.

SpinDoctor
11-11-2010, 01:31 PM
I disagree with the notion that I show a lack of respect for the players as it is quite the opposite. As for Snooker, nobody in the west in the past few years has made an attempt to do anything for the players so I took the idea on (it really is not that involved).
I would work with ANYONE here in Alberta that has the benefit of cue sports in mind and not their wallet.

If you look back in this thread you'll see that he has posted his name. And I was also a part of the thread where you called us all "shortstops" and said that you were only interested in promoting snooker. It's amazing how the song changes when it suits you.

bgrierson
11-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I am aware of what I wrote.
I apologize for that...Their were a few players that made my objective a miserable experience and I regret and apologize that I made such a stupid remark as a backlash.
I would love to run events in all disciplines for Alberta players on a non-profit basis including 8-9-10 Ball. I am aware of all the excellent players in our province that play pool and I would love the chance to run events for them.
Snooker is a passion for me but promoting pool as well is important.
Any ideas?....anyone?

jMorra89
11-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Well Mr. Robichaud it sounds like you know nothing about pool, you just think you do because actually I have a woman, no kids I'm too young for that right now, and a place to live.
So just don't worry about what pool gives me because it will give me more than it has ever gave you that's a promise.
You'll just make your 60,000 year and act like your a millionaire and that's fine, but what I can make in a lifetime doing what I do will outweigh your bankroll in the long run. So keep working hard and maybe move up to the next level when you get some heart bud.
until then just keep quacking.
Sorry if I'm harsh, but I love roasting guys like you, you're just too easy!:wink:

seether
11-12-2010, 05:14 PM
I can't shoot, how much you wanna play for?

Hi sorry,that i dont play fore money.I play fore fun and i play in the league.But me dont play fore money,nore do I gamble.Have a nice day,by the way.

seether
11-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Write whatever you like bud, this forum wouldn't be any fun if people weren't razzin eachother from time to time :)

I think that u must love that show called the Dukes of Hazzard,to be calling yourself JD Hogg.lol

Jason Robichaud
11-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Well Mr. Robichaud it sounds like you know nothing about pool, you just think you do because actually I have a woman, no kids I'm too young for that right now, and a place to live.
So just don't worry about what pool gives me because it will give me more than it has ever gave you that's a promise.
You'll just make your 60,000 year and act like your a millionaire and that's fine, but what I can make in a lifetime doing what I do will outweigh your bankroll in the long run. So keep working hard and maybe move up to the next level when you get some heart bud.
until then just keep quacking.
Sorry if I'm harsh, but I love roasting guys like you, you're just too easy!:wink:

Every pool player needs a girlfriend, its the only way they can pay for the apartment. People here post - Earl is broke, Archer is hard up for money. If those two are hurting for cash.... good luck! Right now you have nothing and need nothing (money). Wait until you have kids to feed, mortgage of $2000 month, car payment, insurance, dental, glasses, clothing, food, taxes etc! You will need $5,000 month just to get by.

Go look at the money list on AZ homepage and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about! Pool will give you a big name to a very limited few and a life of being broke. The only thing you will be roasting is hot dogs (without buns because they cost too much).

samurai
11-15-2010, 04:16 AM
Every pool player needs a girlfriend, its the only way they can pay for the apartment. People here post - Earl is broke, Archer is hard up for money. If those two are hurting for cash.... good luck! Right now you have nothing and need nothing (money). Wait until you have kids to feed, mortgage of $2000 month, car payment, insurance, dental, glasses, clothing, food, taxes etc! You will need $5,000 month just to get by.

Go look at the money list on AZ homepage and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about! Pool will give you a big name to a very limited few and a life of being broke. The only thing you will be roasting is hot dogs (without buns because they cost too much).

Good point Jason....living with mommy and daddy doesn't count as having your own place!

supergreenman
11-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seether
Ya ;you are working at a door and window plant and out of a sudden they hired in John Morra to assemble doors,but there is a problem, John Morra was to afraid to use a nail gun and to afraid to use an a drill or screw gun because he hadnt use anything like that in his life,He is to afriad to use a tool.Known John Morra couldnt figure out how to use a hacksaw,He mite of thought that it was use like a pool and darn near sawed his fingure of.Ever seen the movie called Pool Hall Junkies,when the guy couldnt use a hammer....

Ya ;you are working hard in your pool games,and winning tournaments.I know I am a redneck,but I am not from the Maritimes,I live in Edmonton Alberta,I like the game of pool and I am sorry what that i wrote earlier...Although it did look funny.

Good job Robert, you managed to insult one of the best players in the country. While I respect everybodys right to an opinion, sometimes I respect those who keep thiers to themselves more.

seether
11-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Good job Robert, you managed to insult one of the best players in the country. While I respect everybodys right to an opinion, sometimes I respect those who keep thiers to themselves more.

I didnt mean to insult the greatest player in all of Canada,and I didnt want to ,I was just making a joke,other thing that I am sorry about it.I'll keep my opinions to my self.You can go tell John Morra that I didnt mean to.

Chris McKenzie
11-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Jason stop woofing at John M. You should be focusing on trying to handle all the juice that Bruce has...... COOPER for PRIME MINISTER!!!!!

Jason Robichaud
11-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Jason stop woofing at John M. You should be focusing on trying to handle all the juice that Bruce has...... COOPER for PRIME MINISTER!!!!!

I'm not into dude juice.

Celtic
11-15-2010, 09:00 PM

Shane Lyons.

My cue in my sig usually idetifies me to a large portion of people who know me. I don't sign all of my posts but I have posted quite afew times who I am on AZB. Not trying to be Mr. Anon.

I like snooker man but the game is dead. The only time players in Calgary get onto a snooker table these days is to play golf.

IMO Alberta should just be proactive, skip 9-ball and go straight to 10-ball and 8-ball. That goes for the CBSA as well, 9-ball is on the way out and some of the proactive organizations all over the world are switching over. We might as well take that lead and switch to 10-ball as the rotational game as well instead of holding to 9-ball through some sense of tradition until it is completely irrelevent. It will only hurt Canadian pool and Canadian pool players further to be the last people to figure out to switch over and hold onto a game clearly on its way out.

Not totally sure but people like John Morra, Edwin Montal, Jason Klatt, ect... I imagine they would want to compete on the national level in a game that the professional ranks of the world are switching to.

And IMO playing a game like 9-ball which is becomming less and less common and popular is doing the opposite of promoting the growth of the sport in Canada, it instead makes Canadian Billliards look out of touch with the current international scene. And that sucks on alot of levels.

<edit> PS: I am not sure how much you have looked but IMO alot of gains can be made in the sport by joint efforts with other people. Case in point the SML "used" to have the SML open tournament with the pro's that took up a portion of the Olympic Oval during the city SML playoffs. This was a win/win in alot of ways because it brought the pro's to a great location to play and it had a captive pool playing audience that were there to play their playoffs anyhow and thus often went and watched the pros when they had time.

Now the pro event is gone, likely due to the costs which were largely the added money. The space formerly used for the pro event just sits there. If one was to contact Barb who runs the SML she might be open to thoughts on running an event in conjunction with the SML playoffs, such as an Alberta 10-ball Championship in the oval at the same time. The space is there, the costs of the lease/rent on the oval are already shutting down the whole thing so if you needed to pay extra to put 8 or so gold crowns into an area with some of the already present arena seating. While Calgary might be hurting on the pool hall front there are few places in the world that are better for a pro event then the Oval, Archer supposedly thought it was awesome, and subsequently shot phenomenally well. A place like the Oval could easily hold the Canadians as well if the CBSA were to be willing to adjust dates, and few people seem to be impressed with the summer dating of the events as it is already. Early April would be far better timing for a Canadian Championship event as most of the players in this country are far more focused on their games at that time of year already because of upcomming Vegas events, pro and amature alike.

If something like that were to be set up the SML could advertise it in the league books, on posters, and in a form of synergy the SML event would gain a new and exiting event associated with it's playoffs making its league more desirable and the Alberta billiards sanctioning body all of the sudden has a great location for its event, a phenomenal source of advertising the event, and alot of possibilities for coordinated sponsership and advertising to go along with the league tournament.

jMorra89
11-18-2010, 07:03 AM
pretty funny Jason! lol you did roast me back and I'm also happy to see that I have one more guy (you) on my bandwagon...you obviously keep track of my money earnings on AZ. What your thick head fails to realize is that Pool players make money gambling and (which you know nothing about) AZ doesn't update that money to the players name FYI. Account members on the forums post money match outcomes, and my track record is pretty good so look a little closer next time or think outside the box a little.

What I am trying to say is you'll never know how much money I earn, you only have one source (azbilliards) and they do not give you enough information about me.

Why are you involving Johnny Archer and Earl Strickland into this?
two of the games best pool players, Earl just won a tournament for $20,000 dummy, and Archer is well paid so don't believe everything you here.
Happy Holidays...I'm finished woofing at ignorant railbirds

Jason Robichaud
11-18-2010, 10:32 AM
pretty funny Jason! lol you did roast me back and I'm also happy to see that I have one more guy (you) on my bandwagon...you obviously keep track of my money earnings on AZ. What your thick head fails to realize is that Pool players make money gambling and (which you know nothing about) AZ doesn't update that money to the players name FYI. Account members on the forums post money match outcomes, and my track record is pretty good so look a little closer next time or think outside the box a little.

What I am trying to say is you'll never know how much money I earn, you only have one source (azbilliards) and they do not give you enough information about me.

two of the games best pool players, Earl just won a tournament for $20,000 dummy, and Archer is well paid so don't believe everything you here.

I wasn't referring to your earnings on the list, I'm talking about the top 10 or even 20. $40,000 with travel expenses is nothing. Money matches are great, but usually just dimes to the dollar. Hardly any great shooter play with their own money, instead, relying on backers. So that $10,000 action match, doesn't pay $10,000. Plus, once you get to your level, money matches are against strong players or with weight given. No easy $$

I am a fan of the new crop of players here in Canada. I think you guys deserve a great pay-day for your practice and skills, it just isn't in pool at this time. If you have found a way to make money in pool, great! I hope the other top 5 or 6 guys here in Canada do the same. I would love to see Canada beating the world or at least win the border battle.

And as far as dummy goes, $20,000 is more than Earl won last two years combined!!!(tournament winnings). I bet he didn't throw it in the bank with the rest of his millions.

I'm a little stronger than railbird and have played a few pro events. I have seen great players want to gamble but need backers.

bgrierson
11-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Shane Lyons.

My cue in my sig usually idetifies me to a large portion of people who know me. I don't sign all of my posts but I have posted quite afew times who I am on AZB. Not trying to be Mr. Anon.

I like snooker man but the game is dead. The only time players in Calgary get onto a snooker table these days is to play golf.

IMO Alberta should just be proactive, skip 9-ball and go straight to 10-ball and 8-ball. That goes for the CBSA as well, 9-ball is on the way out and some of the proactive organizations all over the world are switching over. We might as well take that lead and switch to 10-ball as the rotational game as well instead of holding to 9-ball through some sense of tradition until it is completely irrelevent. It will only hurt Canadian pool and Canadian pool players further to be the last people to figure out to switch over and hold onto a game clearly on its way out.

Not totally sure but people like John Morra, Edwin Montal, Jason Klatt, ect... I imagine they would want to compete on the national level in a game that the professional ranks of the world are switching to.

And IMO playing a game like 9-ball which is becomming less and less common and popular is doing the opposite of promoting the growth of the sport in Canada, it instead makes Canadian Billliards look out of touch with the current international scene. And that sucks on alot of levels.

<edit> PS: I am not sure how much you have looked but IMO alot of gains can be made in the sport by joint efforts with other people. Case in point the SML "used" to have the SML open tournament with the pro's that took up a portion of the Olympic Oval during the city SML playoffs. This was a win/win in alot of ways because it brought the pro's to a great location to play and it had a captive pool playing audience that were there to play their playoffs anyhow and thus often went and watched the pros when they had time.

Now the pro event is gone, likely due to the costs which were largely the added money. The space formerly used for the pro event just sits there. If one was to contact Barb who runs the SML she might be open to thoughts on running an event in conjunction with the SML playoffs, such as an Alberta 10-ball Championship in the oval at the same time. The space is there, the costs of the lease/rent on the oval are already shutting down the whole thing so if you needed to pay extra to put 8 or so gold crowns into an area with some of the already present arena seating. While Calgary might be hurting on the pool hall front there are few places in the world that are better for a pro event then the Oval, Archer supposedly thought it was awesome, and subsequently shot phenomenally well. A place like the Oval could easily hold the Canadians as well if the CBSA were to be willing to adjust dates, and few people seem to be impressed with the summer dating of the events as it is already. Early April would be far better timing for a Canadian Championship event as most of the players in this country are far more focused on their games at that time of year already because of upcomming Vegas events, pro and amature alike.

If something like that were to be set up the SML could advertise it in the league books, on posters, and in a form of synergy the SML event would gain a new and exiting event associated with it's playoffs making its league more desirable and the Alberta billiards sanctioning body all of the sudden has a great location for its event, a phenomenal source of advertising the event, and alot of possibilities for coordinated sponsership and advertising to go along with the league tournament.

Excellent points Shane,

I have contacted SML to try and get the players involved with the CBSA and for some reason they view it as competition rather than a partnership.
I do not understand that view.

supergreenman
11-18-2010, 12:44 PM

1st, respect, you're a hell of a player.

2nd. while I'm no where near as good as you I do take offence at being called a railbird. Throwing insults at people who for the most part are your supporters isn't the best way to maintain your credibility.

There are a lot of people here that put tons of effort into the game, knocking these people shows me that you have a lot to learn in life.

Best wishes in the future.

Sincerely,

Alleged Ignorant Railbird

D_Lewis
11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
1st, respect, you're a hell of a player.

2nd. while I'm no where near as good as you I do take offence at being called a railbird. Throwing insults at people who for the most part are your supporters isn't the best way to maintain your credibility.

There are a lot of people here that put tons of effort into the game, knocking these people shows me that you have a lot to learn in life.

Best wishes in the future.

Sincerely,

Alleged Ignorant Railbird

Johns post was directed towards Jason.

Ive seen John probably a hundred times over the years Ive been to Shooters and tournaments around Toronto and Ive never seen him be anything but a quiet, well mannered guy. I respect him a tonne and I usually watch his matches and try to learn things from his game.

I think maybe this subject is a sore spot as its hard to make any money in Canada playing pool. There are weekly tournaments but spotting someone that can run out 6 games to 11 isnt the easiest route to get the cash.

Gatz
11-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Johns post was directed towards Jason.

Ive seen John probably a hundred times over the years Ive been to Shooters and tournaments around Toronto and Ive never seen him be anything but a quiet, well mannered guy. I respect him a tonne and I usually watch his matches and try to learn things from his game.

I think maybe this subject is a sore spot as its hard to make any money in Canada playing pool. There are weekly tournaments but spotting someone that can run out 6 games to 11 isnt the easiest route to get the cash.

You obviously don't know the real John Morra...

sly
11-18-2010, 08:54 PM
bottom line is cbsa does nothing to promote pool or snooker in this country, money or not.
they cross they're arms all year and in mid summer (when they have time off i guess) hold "THE NATIONALS" where about 25%of the country participates.
when do the players vote for a new board?

samurai
11-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Excellent points Shane,

I have contacted SML to try and get the players involved with the CBSA and for some reason they view it as competition rather than a partnership.

There in lies the problem, no one wants to work together for the greater good of the sport!

Grace

Philthepockets
11-18-2010, 11:51 PM
9 ball, 8 ball, 10 ball, snooker it matters not, it could be lawn bowls for all it matters there is only one simple equation. Sponsor+TV+ROI=Money.
ROI is viewership for all intents and purposes.
How you get there is through organization, leadership and presentation. Currently we have none of these. Yes I am an armchair critic, simply because I don't believe I have the qualities or skills required to achieve these goals. At least I admit it and won't become just another lame duck board member.

D_Lewis
11-19-2010, 12:54 AM
You obviously don't know the real John Morra...

Deanus, you may be correct on that one.

But in all honesty, John always says hi to me, has a conversation, even invited me to watch some matches at shooters showing some good tips along the way. Ive never seen him be arrogant or cocky in any way. Until I see otherwise, Im going to assume the above is the norm.

I know you said you got a rude PM from him, I didnt get the copy or hear too much about it. Everyone has the right to their own opinion and I understand you have yours based on previous experience.

Jason Robichaud
11-19-2010, 04:41 AM
I agree, I don't see any reason to talk badly about John. I do feel, if he wants to talk badly about an organization, maybe leave 2,000,000 maritimers out of it. And, I also suggest, use someone other than maritime people for the stupid gage.

Celtic
11-19-2010, 06:48 PM

Well that sucks. Certainaly not unheard of in this sport for promotions to butt heads instead of working together to mutual benefit, but it sucks all the same.

jMorra89
11-28-2010, 12:08 AM
The only point that I was trying to make right from the start was C.B.S.A does an absolute terrible job at organizing and promoting pool in Canada there are too many flaws to list. Everybody except for a few on this thread are aware that Canada has a poor association when it comes to maintaining and growing the sport.
Jason as soon as I knocked the C.B.S.A immediately you switched the topic of discussion and went on with your B.S, I know why it's only because you know that I'm right about the C.B.S.A and there's nothing you can do to defend them it's no secret that they're pitiful.
Just remember you started with throwing the personal insults so check yourself, I didn't ask you to agree with my opinion. I could be wrong about the whole idea but just respect my opinion and I'll do the same and we'll get along good.
Supergreenman I never involved you in my posts one time(I dont know who you are) so just listen to what D_lewis said and take a breath my post was directed towards Jason not you. I wish you the best in the future because your obviously completely out to lunch and yes that was directed towards you Supergreenman.

Jason Robichaud
12-02-2010, 09:31 AM
The only point that I was trying to make right from the start was C.B.S.A does an absolute terrible job at organizing and promoting pool in Canada there are too many flaws to list. Everybody except for a few on this thread are aware that Canada has a poor association when it comes to maintaining and growing the sport.
Jason as soon as I knocked the C.B.S.A immediately you switched the topic of discussion and went on with your B.S, I know why it's only because you know that I'm right about the C.B.S.A and there's nothing you can do to defend them it's no secret that they're pitiful.
Just remember you started with throwing the personal insults so check yourself, I didn't ask you to agree with my opinion. I could be wrong about the whole idea but just respect my opinion and I'll do the same and we'll get along good.
Supergreenman I never involved you in my posts one time(I dont know who you are) so just listen to what D_lewis said and take a breath my post was directed towards Jason not you. I wish you the best in the future because your obviously completely out to lunch and yes that was directed towards you Supergreenman.

I think you should read the post again, I questioned your opinion of Maritimers and the mundane jobs we have. I stated the benefits of living here and asked 'what is so great about pool'!

You can have your opinions on the CBSA and I'm sure most would agree. We have many issues in Canada affecting the abilities to support a pool tour/events. VALUE is the biggest. What value can we offer sponsors? We don't have world champions, we don't allow world champions to play, it isn't televised, no great venues, small fields, country that is too big (logistically for players to support a tour) and no one that would organize for free. I believe the only roll of the CBSA's is to allocate spots to the worlds and help with expenses. It is going to take another organization to create a pro tour for you.

What you are posting here is... what came first, the chicken or the egg! This at a time when a KFC is down the road waiting for the chicken and the workers are eating scrabbled eggs until they arrive.

I can sympathize with you though. It must be extremely frustrating to be one of the best in a country that doesn't offer a good, regular pay for pool. Win a Canadian Championship and no mention on TSN, papers etc. I don't see things changing for you any time soon. until that time, I will continue to lace up work boots, not for the glory, fame and gratification, but for the safety in it.