PDA

View Full Version : Predator for masse shots

Tennesseejoe
05-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Would a Predator 314 ferrule be strong enough for masse shots? Do they break very easy?

The Prodigy
05-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I do not shoot with one, but from what I hear, there ferrule is thin and often breaks. I would reccomend brass. I see it often on masse cues. Now if you doing a light masse, 45 degree's or so, a Predator shaft should be fine.

Fuji-whopper
05-02-2009, 12:16 PM
I've never had issues with them and have never seen anyone have issues with them while doing a Masse shot, in my experience in 8 years of working with them.

n33njah
05-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Would a Predator 314 ferrule be strong enough for masse shots? Do they break very easy?

I have seen some middle of the road masse done with a 314, and there's one guy who does quite a bit of "prop" masse with a z2. As the previous poster said for light to middle masse I dont see a problem, but if you're doing some hard artistic pool I would suggest changing the ferrule.
Just my experience

Tennesseejoe
05-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the responses. I should have stated my question more clearly. In One Pocket most players would object to using a different cue for a masse shot because the rules state no jump cues and many players I have asked said they would not allow a different cue for masse shots. However there are situations where a 90 degree masse shot would be useful.

Do you think a Predator 314 would hold up for the occasional 90 degree masse?

The Renfro
05-02-2009, 12:43 PM
For the occasional masse in normal play you are very unlikely to destroy the ferrule on the predator. The original 314s had a longer ferrule and I destroyed 2 of them back in the day but the new ones are much shorter and won't be subjected to near as much shear force at the base of the tennon. As The Prodigy stated if you are working on the artistic shots you likely will want something a little more durable. I think Venom posted that he destroyed 2 ferrules on one of his trick shot compilations which was almost 100% artistic masse....

jcommie
05-02-2009, 03:44 PM
It really depends on your stroke and form. If you're prone to slamming the tip into the table after a successful masse, chances are, yes, your ferrule has a good chance of breaking somewhere along the way.