PDA

View Full Version : Which hand do you chalk with?

pooltableproCP
05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Had a spirited discussion with a gentleman regarding which hand most people chalk with - so let's see!

**If you feel that this is a redundant topic, or could care less, please don't contradict yourself by posting here**

Island Drive
05-02-2009, 08:05 PM
The opposite hand I shoot with....

TX Poolnut
05-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I chalk with my "butt" hand.

Pushout
05-02-2009, 08:24 PM
If you do a search, you'll find this was done, recently.

mamono
05-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I am somewhat ambidexerous. I write right-handed, but shoot left handed and chalk with my right-hand (bridge hand). Some people find it weird that I do that...

Thunder Thighs
05-02-2009, 08:30 PM
stroke with the right and chalk with the left

pooltableproCP
05-02-2009, 10:11 PM
If you do a search, you'll find this was done, recently.

Just wanted to know the percentage of bridge hand vs. grip hand chalking preference. There was in fact not a poll recently. The thread you are referring to asked about avoiding excess chalk on the shaft. Sorry if you are having a bad day, next time I will check with you before posting.....:speechless:

muddawg
05-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Grip hand. I don't know why, but I can play ok opposite handed but I just can't get used to chalking with my bridge hand.

Pushout
05-03-2009, 04:46 AM
Just wanted to know the percentage of bridge hand vs. grip hand chalking preference. There was in fact not a poll recently. The thread you are referring to asked about avoiding excess chalk on the shaft. Sorry if you are having a bad day, next time I will check with you before posting.....:speechless:

I think the other thread answers the question, that's all. Why do you care about the percentage??

Drawman623
05-03-2009, 04:47 AM
I'm a caveman. I chalk with my bridge hand and stain the last 4 inches of my shaft.

skor
05-03-2009, 04:48 AM
Both hands

JimS
05-03-2009, 05:23 AM
Chalking with the butt hand and the cue turned so the tip is down greatly reduces the amount of gritty chalk dust on the hand and consequently on the shaft. I've been learning to use that method this past six months and it works! It's habit now and a habit I'm glad to have acquired.

Cornerman
05-03-2009, 06:10 AM
Just wanted to know the percentage of bridge hand vs. grip hand chalking preference. There was in fact not a poll recently. The thread you are referring to asked about avoiding excess chalk on the shaft. Sorry if you are having a bad day, next time I will check with you before posting.....:speechless:Actually, there was just a post on this. And surely, since you said that you had a "spirited discussion" with someone on this, that you wanted a spirited discussion here as well. So, fyi, there was just another post on this a couple of days ago if you wanted more information.

Here's the post: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=140435

Fred

obrien714
05-03-2009, 06:15 AM
Chalk with my bridge hand, chalk directly over the shaft. i love a nice seasoned blue shaft..... i dont care what anyone says. thats what i like....
now a blue ferrule is a sin.... I agree on that...

Chalk on

Pat

sde
05-03-2009, 06:34 AM
I chalk with my grip hand, cue butt on the floor and tilted slightly.

This method not only helps keeps chalk off from my bridge hand but it forces me to not apply the chalk while the tip is over the table.

All of the excess chalk that falls on the table is more of an irritant to me than chalk on my hands or the shaft.

Steve

catpool9
05-03-2009, 06:34 AM
I chalk with my bridge hand, a person that chalk's with their grip hand slows the game down , really, you have to stop and chalk cue as opposed to bridge hand you can walk and chalk at the same time!

I guess you could walk and chalk with grip hand but then you'd have to swap your cue to your other hand, I just like One Fluid Motion.

David Harcrow

JoeyA
05-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Even though my primary way of chalking is to use my stroking hand to hold the chalk and to swipe the chalk across the tip I sometimes do the opposite.

When I think about it, I like to practice opposite anything, like driving a different route to work or play, shooting pool opposite handed, brushing my hair opposite handed and yes chalking opposite handed. I am not ambidextrous and am envious of those who are. :grin:

JoeyA

metallicane
05-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Most of the time I swipe it with the bridge hand, but I try to use my stroke hand in an attempt to keep my bridge hand clean.

CocoboloCowboy
05-03-2009, 07:25 AM
I am Left Handed, and hold the Chalk in my LEFT HAND.

akaTrigger
05-03-2009, 08:21 AM
I am Left Handed, and hold the Chalk in my LEFT HAND.

This is a good point! I assume it's not bridge or grip hand dependent, it's if you are left handed or right handed. Being left handed or right handed doesn't designate which hand you shoot with, but I think most of the time it does designate which hand you chalk with.

IMO.

KoolKat9Lives
05-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Both. Just NOT over the table. With butt hand when I am thinking more on next shot and want the best chalk job, and with bridge hand for a quick swipe.

pooltchr
05-03-2009, 10:44 AM
I don't know which is more intriguing...that someone would even wonder about this, or that there are so many responses to the question.

What difference does it make? How does it affect anyone's game?

I'm not trying to be difficult. I honestly wonder why this topic would generate this much interest.

Steve

CreeDo
05-03-2009, 10:47 AM
I am inclined to agree. I think a lot of guys do it in a way that will lead to the hand and stick getting dirty but otherwise it isn't gonna matter...

Pushout
05-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't know which is more intriguing...that someone would even wonder about this, or that there are so many responses to the question.

I'm not trying to be difficult. I honestly wonder why this topic would generate this much interest.

Steve

Yup, that was kinda my point.

Craig Fales
05-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I chalk with my bridge hand, Once I start shooting my cue never leaves my grip hand. I play fast and chalk as I stalk my next shot.

stevekur1
05-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I tend to chalk with my grip hand cause it slows me down, and plus it help keep the shaft cleaner.

I Wipe my lizard wrap off after every session to keep that clean, since shaft wood is more pouris it tends to absorb the chalk ! IMHO

Steve

Zud
05-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I am somewhat ambidexerous. I write right-handed, but shoot left handed and chalk with my right-hand (bridge hand). Some people find it weird that I do that...

I am the same. I have slowly gotten better at shooting shots right-handed and will shoot this way now for many shots instead of using the bridge. I am just not nearly as comfortable over the ball right handed and have to concentrate much more to sight correctly. I just wonder why this is the case for some players (Shooting opposite handed) is it a dominant eye thing? (I do sight a rifle with my right hand on the trigger)

TX Poolnut
05-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Steve

Different strokes for different folks.

pooltableproCP
05-03-2009, 06:13 PM
I seem to have stirred up a few of the sandbox bullies with this one....oops.
If this subject is worthless or redundant, what does that say about your actually taking the time to respond to it? :duck:

POCKETWOLF
05-03-2009, 06:58 PM

Steve

You being an instructor, i'm baffled as to why you don't see the relevance. I see it as a part of the pre-shot routine. Last time i checked, that's an important part of the shot. If i were an instructor, i would think about the question as it pertains to the player trying to learn. Sorry, but if a question can't be asked here--what's the point of having a forum?:confused: Lighten up people--cheese-n-rice!:D

pooltchr
05-03-2009, 07:05 PM
I seem to have stirred up a few of the sandbox bullies with this one....oops.
If this subject is worthless or redundant, what does that say about your actually taking the time to respond to it? :duck:

Like I said when I posted. I wasn't trying to be difficult, or as you put it, be a "sandbox bully". I was just wondering why this would be a question worthy of the kind of response it was getting.

I deal with all kinds of questions every time I teach a class. Most of them have something to do with making someone a better player. This one is one nobody has ever asked before, and I was wondering what kind of knowledge would be gained from it, and how someone might perceive that it might be significant in the ability to play better pool.

Maybe I was just curious....as I suspect you might have been when you posted the original question.

No need to get defensive.

Steve

Cuebuddy
05-03-2009, 07:35 PM
I can't remember what book it was for sure but I think it was Advanced pool by George Fels, if I remember right he suggested to chalk your cue during practice with the opposite hand that you normally do. It had something to do with left brain right brain stimulation. I think it was claimed to enhance the more artistic side of your game if you were a righty,or work on your logical side if you are a south paw.

akaTrigger
05-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Like I said when I posted. I wasn't trying to be difficult, or as you put it, be a "sandbox bully". I was just wondering why this would be a question worthy of the kind of response it was getting.

I deal with all kinds of questions every time I teach a class. Most of them have something to do with making someone a better player. This one is one nobody has ever asked before, and I was wondering what kind of knowledge would be gained from it, and how someone might perceive that it might be significant in the ability to play better pool.

Maybe I was just curious....as I suspect you might have been when you posted the original question.

Steve

I don't think he's being defensive. I wondered myself why you would said what you did. I think it's an interesting question - obviously by all the replies, I'm not the only one.

I asked my opponent tonight which hand he chalks with and we had a great talk about it!

akaTrigger
05-03-2009, 07:47 PM
I don't think he's being defensive. I wondered myself why you would said what you did. I think it's an interesting question - obviously by all the replies, I'm not the only one.

I asked my opponent tonight which hand he chalks with and we had a great talk about it!

I played straight pool tonight and my whole theory above is shot! lol. My opponent shoots right handed, is right handed and chalked left handed.

Oh well, I *thought* my post above made total sense to me. lmao

Klopek
05-03-2009, 09:36 PM

pooltchr
05-04-2009, 05:09 AM

Fair enough. And in an effort to contribute to the research being done, I keep my chalk on a magnetic chalk holder on my right hip. I grab it with my grip hand, and that's the one I chalk with.
:)
Steve

Vahmurka
05-04-2009, 06:12 AM
I chalk with the hand I write with, and that is my bridge hand. Guess how that is possible ;)

JoeyA
05-04-2009, 08:21 AM

Steve

Steve, I have to agree with you. With all of the important threads that are posted on the Main Forum, virtually everyday like http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=140970, you have to wonder why more people would post on which hand you chalk with than in a thread like the one that Fuji-whopper started that might help someone's game.

Can you believe some people wasting their time posting in this thread when they could have been contributing to a valuable thread like http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=140970 ?

JoeyA

whitewolf
05-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Had a spirited discussion with a gentleman regarding which hand most people chalk with - so let's see!

**If you feel that this is a redundant topic, or could care less, please don't contradict yourself by posting here**

If you had an "I don't know choice" I would have chosen that one :grin-square: Seriously, right now w/o a pool cue, I woulnd't bet my life on how I chalk the cue because I can't remember.