PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Habits

tom mcgonagle
05-02-2009, 08:56 PM
For far to many years I've had trouble sleeping through the night after playing in the first day of a two day tournament. It's a good problem to have, because I'm going back the second day but it stinks being so tired. I won't take drugs so is there anything out there to help me sleep all night, (A good seven hours), let me know, please.

mamono
05-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Everyone's sleeping habits are different. Its dependent on many things. We'd have to know details about how you sleep. Not sure if that's something everyone wants to know. :P

Honestly, the best thing to do is to consult a doctor. Stress, backstrain, sleep posture, misaligned curvature of the spine, semi-obstructed nasal passageway, etc etc... there are just too many factors to take into consideration.

Mr441
05-02-2009, 09:14 PM
For far to many years I've had trouble sleeping through the night after playing in the first day of a two day tournament. It's a good problem to have, because I'm going back the second day but it stinks being so tired. I won't take drugs so is there anything out there to help me sleep all night, (A good seven hours), let me know, please.

Well I know this isn't the healthiest way in the world but I will eat a big dinner very late, always puts me to sleep.

Cameron Smith
05-02-2009, 09:38 PM

Have you ever tried a glass of scotch about 30 min before you go to bed?

poolcuemaster
05-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Try a couple of 25 mg benadryl over the counter antihistimines any brand (walmart) about one hour before you want to sleep for all night dreams. These are regularly prescribed and according to my Dr. are non habit forming and the body does not build an immunity to it. Ask your Doctor before trying this as I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.--Leonard

RED LITE
05-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Try reading a few pages of Right On Cue. Works for me every time. :D

Just kidding you Tom. I'm actually up late reading it tonight.

Tournament play wires me up, whether or not I have been drinking caffiene. I do find that a large glass of milk, and some non-serious reading helps. It apparently takes the mind off whatever minds do during tournaments.

Good luck.

RL

JAM
05-03-2009, 04:32 AM

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I will. A romantic interlude with your loved one may help you sleep soundly through the night when you're all fired up from a tournament. :o

Race2-9
05-03-2009, 06:21 AM
Try nice HOT shower and relaxing fdor 1/2 hr prior to going to bed. By relaxing I mean read, go for a walk, sit on the terrace etc....NO TV, NO Computer.....hope this helps

tom mcgonagle
05-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll try it next time. At least one of them or maybe two. My wife was out later than me last night, not a bad suggestion, JAM. Once again I slept awful. Oh well! I'M off to Providence.

CreeDo
05-03-2009, 08:33 AM
Good luck.

If I go the gym (which I ought to more) and save my workout for later in the day (say 5) I sleep like a baby.

Change your sheets and pillowcases just before a tournament is coming up. Fresh sheets (especially warm from the dryer) are awesome.

Put serious thought into whether you're happy with your bed and bedroom. If sleep is key to your pool and pool is key to your financial well-being, then dropping a grand on a new mattress is not insanity. I know it can be tough when you have a spouse to find a middle ground as to what you like vs. what she likes.. but try adjusting stuff like the temperature. Make sure the blanket is big enough that you both don't need to shuffle it to get comfy. Try fluffier pillows. Or if you like having a fan and she doesn't, you get your fan just before tournaments (unless her tossing and turning keeps you up lol). Little stuff like that matters a ton.

It's possible to spend years on the wrong bed and wrong sleep environment and think you're getting ok sleep, then a few small changes makes you realize how miserable you were :D

JAM
05-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll try it next time. At least one of them or maybe two. My wife was out later than me last night, not a bad suggestion, JAM. Once again I slept awful. Oh well! I'M off to Providence.

Good luck on the Joss Tour. You did well last weekend, making the money rounds. I hope you do well today too! :)

Eat a Regina's meatball for me at Snooker's! YUMMIE! :grin-square:

John Biddle
05-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Are you talking about sleeping problems while on the road, staying in hotels/motels, or playing locally and sleeping in your own home?

Do you have any trouble sleeping on nights other than while in a tournament, or just the nights before you have to play a big match?

How you answer these questions will have a big effect on what you should do to solve your problem.

John Biddle

JoseV
05-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Do a deployment in combat. I can stay up 24 hours on seven hours of sleep easily now. It might sound crazy but i never felt so good doing it Im just hoping i can keep it like that when i get back into the states.

JAM
05-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Do a deployment in combat. I can stay up 24 hours on seven hours of sleep easily now. It might sound crazy but i never felt so good doing it Im just hoping i can keep it like that when i get back into the states.

Thank you for your service. My nephew recently returned from a 15-month tour of duty in Mosul area.

God bless America, especially the troops and their families. You're a hero to us all. Thank you.