PDA

View Full Version : "Bad Rolls" How do you handle them?

inside_english
05-03-2009, 08:57 AM
You know the nightmare scenario whereby your opponent's missed shot means an unintentional safe for you...and sometimes your missed shot equates to a beautiful setup for them, almost bordering on a BIH situation?

How do you handle these?

I know of players that get crazy when this happens at least two or three times in a match. Then they start complaining, over and over about it. Magically though, when they get such a roll in their favor they never seem to mind!

I have seen/heard many an argument regarding these types of rolls, which almost always devolve into a bickering match, and sometimes may even run the risk of coming to blows!

Then there are those players who like to look around at the spectators and give a smirk or grin or whatever when they receive an unfavorable roll from their opponent...like it never happens to them!

Anyway, just wondering how some of you handle these. How do you process them and get past them mentally?

nbll01
05-03-2009, 09:14 AM
You know the nightmare scenario whereby your opponent's missed shot means an unintentional safe for you...and sometimes your missed shot equates to a beautiful setup for them, almost bordering on a BIH situation?

How do you handle these?

I know of players that get crazy when this happens at least two or three times in a match. Then they start complaining, over and over about it. Magically though, when they get such a roll in their favor they never seem to mind!

I have seen/heard many an argument regarding these types of rolls, which almost always devolve into a bickering match, and sometimes may even run the risk of coming to blows!

Then there are those players who like to look around at the spectators and give a smirk or grin or whatever when they receive an unfavorable roll from their opponent...like it never happens to them!

Anyway, just wondering how some of you handle these. How do you process them and get past them mentally?

Ive been here many times. I really dont focus on a roll as good or bad, its just a roll! I used to waste a lot of my mental energy on getting upset over a lucky roll my opponent got. It serves no purpose and really can get you off your game. I know at some point I'm gonna get a few rolls my way!
I just bear down and try to play as best I can each time up to the table.

I watched a guy break the shaft off his Shuler cue last night for just such a roll ( a match I was wathing on another table)...seems stupid to ruin your stuff over something you cant change.

Johnnyt
05-03-2009, 09:21 AM
I have found that most of my bad rolls are caused by me on choosing my lane to the zone or rolling the dice that I miss a ball that I know is going to be hit with my QB. Good/lucky rolls for my opponent do tend to p*** me off though. Johnnyt

androd
05-03-2009, 09:21 AM

How do you handle these?

TOUGHEN UP.
The unfailing rule in pool is, the guy that plays the best gets the rolls.
Try to be him.
Rod.

Voodoo Daddy
05-03-2009, 09:22 AM
To become a great player you must have a short term memory for bad shots, rolls, etc. Quicker you leave it at the table and dont take it to the chair with you, the better you will overcome future situations. I used to watch a 3C player that if he hit a bad shot, by the first rail he knew he wouldnt catch the billiard he would automatically head for the chair. I asked him why he did this and simply put, he said "I know I hit it bad, why watch it and torture myself"

Good luck...

CocoboloCowboy
05-03-2009, 09:22 AM
How do you handle these?

Bad Rolls as you say happen to everyone, and I would say they are part of the fun of the game, or just part of the game.:wink:

Tom In Cincy
05-03-2009, 09:23 AM
It is all part of the game. Any game, any sport. Rolls even themselves out. If you don't believe that you are only going to suffer from Roll envy the rest of your life and never enjoy competition again. Remember, a bad roll for you is a GOOD roll for your opponent.

If you really want to get rid of the 'Roll Envy' get a pencil and paper and just note for each player the number of good rolls and bad rolls over a 10 game set.

Once you realize that even the best players get their share of bad rolls, you'll be able to enjoy competing again and focus on what is the most important shot you'll ever have while competing... the shot you are about to shoot.

real bartram
05-03-2009, 09:26 AM

How do you handle these?

you just have to face it you will get good and bad rolls its pool.
just let it go when you get your turn make the best of it.

mdavis228
05-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Not that I'm always successful... But one thing I've tried to learn to remember is that you are always representing yourself. If you can stay composed, within yourself, and present a detached demeanor to luck - as well as a "professionally" sportsmanlike manner in general, then you not only have a chance to turn a negative into a positive by potentially rattling your opponent when they don't get the reaction they expect, but those around you will have a chance to view you as a good player.
If you act like a pr**k, you're sure to be discussed as one. If you act like a good, seasoned player, and treat others with respect...

inside_english
05-03-2009, 09:38 AM
...I am not one of those players that get totally bent out of shape when rolls don't go my way...but thanks to all for the advice anyway...:)

I was just curious as to how other players dealt with it.

I was in a tournament yesterday and the guy who won (who is very good and is the best there) complained all throughout the day about his unlucky rolls.

Funnily enough, during the finals he happened to be playing the owner who told him, "I am not interested in your problems, I have enough of my own!"

The way and the time it was said was hilarious. I guess the owner had enough of the guy complaining each-and-every time he got an unfavorable roll. It really gets annoying, especially when the player is above shortstop speed.

He went on to win the tournament, and somehow the complaining stopped...:eek:

sjm
05-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Missed shot, bad roll, playing with fever, playing with physical pain or mental anguish?

Irving Crane once gave me the maxim for a lifetime - "Never show weakness to an opponent." In other words, no matter how things are going, stay composed and never let your opponent sense that you are agitated over something. Opponents, Irving contended, will feed off any weakness you show them.

Dealing with the inevitable ebbs and flows in the game is somethng you can only learn from experience. Like every other part of the game, practice makes perfect, so practice staying composed.

Nostroke
05-03-2009, 09:53 AM
What works for me is I slam the stick down hard and then I say "Motherless Co......ing whore bastard!". After i do this i get embarrassed and i calm down.

ShootingArts
05-03-2009, 10:04 AM
I was going to start a thread about bad rolls a few days ago. Too much else going on but here are my thoughts about bad rolls from that day.

The rolls and safety play by your opponent.

I see these two things, particularly bad rolls, demoralize many a decent player. Seems like far too common a complaint both on the forums and in the pool hall, "I was done in by bad rolls" or even a single bad roll.

Most people attribute the rolls completely to luck and feel even good safety play is often lucky. One thing I see many very good players do, even occasionally a pro, is give up on a shot after a bad roll or good safety. They don't see any good options so they throw away a shot with a half-hearted effort. I believe the mental process behind this is that to concede the shot is better than a maximum effort and still failing.

I see things a wee bit differently. First, if you take a a little time to study the table there may be an unorthodox move that will better your situation. Simply finding the unanticipated excellent option can weaken your opponent's confidence a little even if the shot ultimately fails by a narrow margin. Aside from that, you haven't weakened your own mental focus by giving up, not even for a single shot. Sometimes the shot works too and you have prevented ball in hand or destroyed your opponent's run out.

When your opponent is "getting all the rolls" it is usually due to their playing style. Accept that this is part of their game, not truly luck. They may be lucky but they are putting themselves in position to be lucky even if it is by sending the cue ball three laps around the table every shot and destroying patterns on almost every shot. I once beat a chess player regularly that was far above me by any reasonable standard by deliberately setting up the conventional patterns and breaking them over and over. If the other player keeps you off balance, accept that this is part of their game and you are going to have to regroup and resort the patterns every time you come to the table.

Never underestimate your opponent, regardless of why they are difficult to play. Boxers have been a champs because they were awkward and almost impossible to time. When a player is awkward on a pool table that has to be considered when playing them. They aren't just awkward for themselves, they make things awkward for you too.

Never give in to "bad rolls". I don't consider one in ten of them truly just luck. I believe that is a better mental attitude than thinking bad rolls are pure luck and you are cursed by the gods.

Hu

jcommie
05-03-2009, 10:09 AM
I get all the good rolls :D

I don't get bad rolls, only bad shots I make that messed up my position.

If my opponent's miss turns into an unintentional safe, I don't know it. I just think he played a safe on me, which gives me the satisfaction of wiping that smirk off his face when I kick out of the safe and freeze the ob onto a rail, forcing him to cross table bank ;)

It helps that I get all sorts of good rolls all the time. I don't know how many times I was just kicking at a ball to escape a safety and the CB cuts it just right on the rail to make it, and I end up with good position to run out. I know this does happen to others, so guys, make note of when these awsome things happen to you, and just bring up these happy thoughts when the rolls don't seem to favor you.

mooseman
05-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Here's my most recent one where the pool gods appear to be against you.

Playing 9-ball....

I break and make 2 balls. Wide open table with good spread. Hooked on the 1-ball. Play a jump shot and nail the pocket. CB drifts up onto another ball so I can't see the 2-ball. Forced to kick at the 2-ball. Kick at and hit the 2-ball. CB caroms off the 2 and scratches. Opponent runs out.......

B4IFURU18
05-03-2009, 11:02 AM
I use the bad rolls to show my opponent my uncanning kicking abilities.

CreeDo
05-03-2009, 11:06 AM
I laugh. I'm not one of those dudes who says "never get mad at the pool table". I think it's permissable to get mad at yourself when you screw up. But why get mad at stuff that isn't your fault? Or anyone else's?

I find it's a good time to practice your funny insults. The other day I got a good roll and my buddy says "oh, you dirty jewish handbasket". It cracked me up. He's not racist and I'm not jewish, we just like to put totally random racial slurs and swear words into our friendly insults.

I just chalk up and start looking at the angles for my kick.

madfox
05-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Well in the early days I was very frustrated and coursing the other guy luck. Today I am just happy that I am at the table and he didn't run out !

Cornerman
05-03-2009, 01:03 PM

How do you handle these?

I b*tch about it like an immature baby.

Fred <~~~ just like lots of people

DelaWho???
05-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I expect to be left bad by my opponent, and when I am not I am pleasantly suprised. A tough leave is a challenge, maybe you just muster a good hit and hope for the best.

:cool:

bob b.
05-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Chris D. - did you call "me" a pr**k? LOL

JXMIKE
05-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Smile....helps me stay positive like efren does he gets a bad roll or misses a shot he knew he should have made and he laughs instead of getting pissed leading to more missed shots.

the420trooper
05-03-2009, 02:33 PM
I b*tch about it like an immature baby.

Fred <~~~ just like lots of people

I'll go one step further, I sometimes offer to fight my opponent if the rolls are going REALLY bad....:D ;)

Seriously, I try to subscribe to the Nick Varner mentality...If my opponent misses and leaves me hooked, then A: At least he didn't run out and I'm at the table, and B: I have the chance to make a great kick shot here...I can sh*t something in, I can safe him back, I can leave a shot with no angle to get to the next ball, I can leave a shot so difficult he just CAN'T make it...Or I can sell out and lose. But, there are a lot of good things that can happen on every shot of this type, it's best to just line up your kick, and make something happen...

Every opportunity at the table is an opportunity to win.

cueandcushion
05-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Lay on the ground kicking in the air with clenched fists; screaming at the closest railbird claiming it is all his fault then go to the business owner and complain about the cloth and then to the weather man to complain about the humidity. This is the most rational way to handle the situation.

jamesroberts
05-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Ill tell you how I try to deal with rolls....
If I dont get mad when I get a good roll I dont complain about a bad roll

In 99% of all matches there are ups and downs and if you complain about rolls you may not be prepared when the rolls come your way, I try to stay focused and ready for my chance

n33njah
05-03-2009, 05:20 PM
I just try to keep it in my head, and when the rolls aren't going in my favor, i just kind of zone out and think about how luck eventually runs out. I've always been a subscriber to the theory that luck is nothing more than a fallback for a mistake that turned out good [ or bad as the case may be.] Just try to keep your game going, and remember. Every time they get lucky and you have to kick, jump, stab, or do something wild at the table to make legal contact. You are adding to your pool knowledge.

If it's non stop? I b**ch up like everyone else :thumbup:

TX Poolnut
05-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Bad rolls happen to the best and worst of us. It's just part of the game.

People that get all bent out of shape because of bad rolls have mental issues.

It's just a game.

WoodyJ
05-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Missed shot, bad roll, playing with fever, playing with physical pain or mental anguish?

Irving Crane once gave me the maxim for a lifetime - "Never show weakness to an opponent." In other words, no matter how things are going, stay composed and never let your opponent sense that you are agitated over something. Opponents, Irving contended, will feed off any weakness you show them.

Dealing with the inevitable ebbs and flows in the game is somethng you can only learn from experience. Like every other part of the game, practice makes perfect, so practice staying composed.

Great advice. Thanks for sharing.

I try to achieve the above by:

- minimizing talking while I'm playing and accepting what I'm given as a challenge (especially the easy shots)

- thinking only about the shot I'm given (hey like others said, you're still at the table and have a chance because your opponent didn't run out)

- telling myself both when it's my turn and when it's not that the only thing that's important is the next time I hit the cueball and to never give up

- exploiting any weakness shown by my opponent

Island Drive
05-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm more concerned about handling ME than handling something I have NO control over....on second thought, maybe I'll go outside and change the weather.............:)

tom mcgonagle
05-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I look at a bad roll, after my opponent misses, as not the worst thing in the world, at least my opponent missed. If they missed a shot they could easily made, I'm getting to the table when I should still be sitting down. If I can turn the table and play a good safe or kick and leave him or her a touch shot or safety, my opponent has to be a little annoyed at themselves by now.

If one miss happens, another is sure to follow.

akaTrigger
05-03-2009, 07:58 PM

How do you handle these?

I've seen all the above, too. Amazing, huh?

I have learned not to take the roll personal.

Also, I try and look on the bright side - at least I am at the table. It did take me a long time to not let rolls bother me (some still do), but I know that if I accept them as part of the game, then that ensures it does NOT affect me when I do get back to the table.

Rod
05-03-2009, 10:06 PM

How do you handle these?

There is really nothing to handle. It happens and no matter how disgusted some get it won't change a thing. Well, correction -- let it bother you and your a looser for sure -- or let it go and make a game of it. Besides everyone gets rolls including you. Its just at the time it may not seem that way and it may not be but as I said --

Rod

Tin Man
05-03-2009, 11:33 PM
I look at it like this:

Everyone has bad rolls at times. If I handle the bad rolls that I get better than my opponent handles the bad rolls that they get, that gives me an edge. If there were no bad rolls that would take away one of the edges that I have over my competition. BE THANKFUL FOR BAD ROLLS! That is the key!

So when I get a bad roll I think "gosh, I'm glad that there are bad rolls in pool! Now is my chance to gain an edge by handling this better than he will when he gets a bad roll".

A poker player said "In poker there is skill and there is luck. One of the skills is dealing with the luck." I think that this is equally applicable to nineball.

Thoughts?

Pushout
05-03-2009, 11:42 PM
When I was playing in tournaments once or twice a week, I got in the habit of just trying to ignore them. One of the things I learned about concentration and focus was, if something kept coming into my mind, just to quietly clear my head of it and get on with the shot at hand. I've *****ed about rolls in the past, most of us have at one time or another. I slowly acquired a reputation for pretty much playing quietly, no matter what, not saying much at all.

mdavis228
05-04-2009, 04:55 AM
Chris D. - did you call "me" a pr**k? LOL

You, Bob... The soul of restraint & repressed emotions?...:wink:

Majic
05-04-2009, 06:43 AM

How do you handle these?

There aren't any bad rolls:grin: Just opportunities, and when you find yourself in a situation that is difficult, that will be the time to be very creative.:wink:

3Bros Billiards
05-04-2009, 07:01 AM
I think the best mentality to have is that you should make your own luck. One good roll for your opponent shouldn't be enough to make you lose if you are playing better than them.

KoolKat9Lives
05-04-2009, 07:07 AM
How do you deal with opponents that constantly ***** about rolls?

I have a couple guys that love to call out to me "You're the luckiest white boy in America"! Of course they discount their share of good rolls, but boy can they ***** about their bad rolls.

I need some good lines to help shut them the hell up. It gets old hearing it every stinkin' rack! I know I need to get mentally stronger so I don't sink to that level or put negative thoughts in my head, but additionally...

Help, I need some good lines!

Majic
05-04-2009, 07:11 AM

I have a couple guys that love to call out to me "You're the luckiest white boy in America"!
I need some good lines to help shut them the hell up. It gets old hearing it every stinkin' rack! I know I need to get mentally stronger so I don't sink to that level or put negative thoughts in my head, but additionally...

"Your wife told me the same thing last night.":D

the420trooper
05-04-2009, 07:18 AM

I have a couple guys that love to call out to me "You're the luckiest white boy in America"! Of course they discount their share of good rolls, but boy can they ***** about their bad rolls.

I like to play off my good rolls like I meant to do go six rails, carom off two balls, and sh*t in the 9. I usually say something like "Well, I thought the CB was going in that direction...", or "Isn't that what you would have done?"

If they complain, the classic, "I don't need to be lucky to beat YOU, but it sure helps" is a good choice. :D

Sam Waltz
05-04-2009, 07:41 AM

Just ask 'em how that Kleenex sponsorship is workin' out for 'em. :grin-square:

Big Perm
05-04-2009, 08:12 AM
"the balls roll funny for everybody"

Typically, I get more frustrated when these rolls help a player I should normally beat.....it helps his confidence, and he fails to realize his good fortune, and the fact that every time he misses i get hooked :grin:

To combat it, I just try to play a two way shot on something I might miss.....if I "miss on the pro side" or play shape where he is blocked out if I miss, then hopefully I can right the ship and shift the momentum back....

eastcoast_chris
05-04-2009, 08:49 AM
I don't mind A bad role, but getting 2,3,4 in succesion is what gets me. I'm a very mathematical minded person.... I know I'll get bad rolls and my opponent will too. I get upset when I'm getting the majority of them.

It is most annoying when you take a chance that you have to take where there is a 50/50 chance of coming up good.... and you fail everytime in a match.... sometimes is seems like you just can't win.

I'm think of switching to snooker and not playing as much 8/9 ball .... for precisely this reason.

trustyrusty
05-04-2009, 09:02 AM
I throw and kick stuff, maybe break a cue, cuss like you wouldn't believe, and walk up and pull off some lucky as hell kick safe back. ;) Other than that, I think I handle bad rolls pretty well.

Honestly, if an opponent leaves me nasty after a miss on accident, I'll say something like, "wow, you're even better than I thought you were", and smile. If I pull off a tough shot and still end up bad....I learn from it.

crawfish
05-04-2009, 09:03 AM
I just rake the balls and throw my cue like a javelin in the Olympics.

gpeezy
05-04-2009, 09:19 AM
i just rake the balls and throw my cue like a javelin in the olympics.

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!

gpeezy
05-04-2009, 09:23 AM
I usually don't have a big problem with rolls untill they are noticable 1 sided. I've played people that just flat out get lucky rolls. Its sick. If you can master having a good, healthy mind set through a "night" of bad rolls you've done well and should congratulate yourself. Its tough.

crawfish
05-04-2009, 09:36 AM
lmao!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny thing is... you think I'm kidding.

trustyrusty
05-04-2009, 09:44 AM
I just rake the balls and throw my cue like a javelin in the Olympics.

I find if you throw it more in a helicopter like style not only does it relieve more stress, but has MUCH more potential of doing damage!! Javelin style might leave a hole in something or put an eye out, but helicopter style can take out a few lights, opponent, spectators, etc. Plus it looks cooler :thumbup:

lee brett
05-04-2009, 09:48 AM
i find pool a lot like poker, when u run good u run good but when u run bad u run really bad,

played other day guy goes for the 4 misses it and banks it in other middle then mis cues on the 5 hits it thin hits the 9 and flukes the 9, then snooker him next game comes off the cushion hits the 1 balls go everywhere and 9 goes in, drives me crazy but just gotta learn pool is not like snooker even bad players can win, so its a lot like poker when they hit there gut shot or runner runner its part of the game you just have to learn to take it no matter how hard it hurts and just smile and think i'll have you in the next rack

EZMoney
07-30-2009, 08:32 AM
I've been feeling the pain of bad rolls for me or good rolls for my competitor for so long now that I avoid playing the game. I've adaptive the attitude that when I know I've missed the shot, I head for the chair oblivious to the outcome of the leave. It's too painful to watch my poor attemps turn into wounderful leaves for my competitor. I will then disengage myself from the game until it's my turn, and what do ya know?, I get either a dick or a full length cut shot which requires inside english to get position on the next shot. This night mare doesn't seem like it want to end but just keep feeding on its self. I know my play makes me look like a dick but its the only way I can handle this s**t.

I saw the espes the other night and there was a quote by John Wooten's father, made when the famous coach launched his carrier, "Don't whine, don't complain, and don't make excuses". Try to adhear to these ideals when the pool gods aren't in your camp.

I have lost my passion for the game. I know these rolls a suppose to even out but its seem like forever seen I've had a good day at the game.
When will it end?

NewStroke
07-30-2009, 08:35 AM
What can you do? It's part of the game. I think once you start letting it get to you, it happens to you even more. Stay cool and the rolls will come to you as well.

EZMoney
07-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Ya think, well I've been waiting.

NewStroke
07-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Ya think, well I've been waiting.

I used to get really pissed, but then I realized I was wasting energy. I started focusing that energy on my play when I step to the table. Seems to me that the longer you are at the table the "rolls" you get.

SCCues
07-30-2009, 09:09 AM
One thing that gets me is when I play someone and the rolls clearly go their way in the match and at the end he tells me that we both got some bad rolls! He was 3 to 1 on the plus side and he says we were even on the rolls.

I can't count high enough to tell how many times i've had to kick or jump and I make a good hit and of course I leave my opponent straight in and he runs out. I try my best to not let it bother me and the rolls are supposed to equal out, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

James

EZMoney
07-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I hear ya! Mabe we're cursed.

m79a
07-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't say anything about good or bad rolls. I just try to move on and not let it get to me.

On the other hand if you want to see me get pissed, let the guy I'm playing start crying about me getting a "lucky roll". First of all if I miss a shot and I'm in perfect position for the next ball and he happens to be hooked, that's not luck as far as I'm concerned. I'll blow a gasket in a freaking minute if someone starts this crap. If there's one thing I can't stand it's a grown man crying about a roll.

desert1pocket
07-30-2009, 10:27 AM

"That's just how I roll baby!!!!! Deal with it."

ugotactionTX
07-30-2009, 12:47 PM
sometimes I throw things... well not very often

GMAC
07-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Worst part of my game. I have the hardest time fading bad rolls at the wrong time. I work on it all the time and have gotten better on the outside, but on the inside I am still as hot as a firecracker. My toes curl up and I want to call the guy a sucker and I just sit there with a smile on my face. Man it is hard to do, but you can never let them see you sweat. Any sign of weakness could be fatal.

Hopefully, I will master it one day. :cool:

pooltchr
07-30-2009, 02:00 PM
If my opponent misses, but leaves me tough, either intentionally, or by accident, I look at it as an opportunity to get back to the table. I like being at the table, because that is when I control what happens next.

If I get a "bad roll" myself, I immediately ask myself what I did wrong. Since the laws of physics always rule, where the balls end up after I hit the cue ball must be a direct result of what I did.

I refuse to allow myself to mentally become a victim at the pool table.

Steve

ShootingArts
07-30-2009, 02:16 PM
I've been feeling the pain of bad rolls for me or good rolls for my competitor for so long now that I avoid playing the game. I've adaptive the attitude that when I know I've missed the shot, I head for the chair oblivious to the outcome of the leave. It's too painful to watch my poor attemps turn into wounderful leaves for my competitor. I will then disengage myself from the game until it's my turn, and what do ya know?, I get either a dick or a full length cut shot which requires inside english to get position on the next shot. This night mare doesn't seem like it want to end but just keep feeding on its self. I know my play makes me look like a dick but its the only way I can handle this s**t.

I saw the espes the other night and there was a quote by John Wooten's father, made when the famous coach launched his carrier, "Don't whine, don't complain, and don't make excuses". Try to adhear to these ideals when the pool gods aren't in your camp.

I have lost my passion for the game. I know these rolls a suppose to even out but its seem like forever seen I've had a good day at the game.
When will it end?

You are cursed by the gods! Some people are just like that, if it wasn't for bad luck you would have no luck at all. I recommend that you go to the nearest bridge over a deep river and throw in everything you own pool related. If you still find yourself pulled towards a pool hall go back to the river and jump in!

Now that I have that out of the way, there was testing done with a random state generator, 50/50 chance over the long run. The longest run of it stopping on one state in a hundred thousand tries or so was over twenty times. That is plenty enough for you to get the bad rolls in a match or two, or even for days. Accept that crap happens and always remember your turn is coming.

I have to admit I take the scientific and suspicious approach. If I get a bad roll on my shot it is because I chose a stupid shot or played it poorly. My fault. That is the science part. If my opponent is getting all the rolls on his shot I have to suspect that he is better than I thought and he is making the rolls.

My somewhat ridiculous viewpoint is that I should win every time and if I don't it is because I didn't do what I needed to do to win. That viewpoint saves me a lot of wasted angst and aggravation.

Hu

jay helfert
07-30-2009, 03:26 PM
I thought everybody knew, "The good players get all the rolls!" :smile:
One more sober thought is that the balls are inanimate objects. They only go where we direct them to go.

Cuaba
07-30-2009, 03:33 PM
When I was in college I lost the final of a bar table tournament at one of the college bars.

I walked out the front door and threw my cue in front of a truck that was driving by and it ran over it.

Fortunately it was in a strong tube case and did not get damaged, but the case was trashed.

Now I control my emotions a little better.

accustatsfan
07-30-2009, 04:08 PM
I understand the concept of not letting bad rolls affect your play (especially when its hill-hill and he misses a simple shot and your locked up behind the point or the only other ball on the table).

Its one thing if you're the player who created the poor position for yourself (then deal with it) but when your opponent has no idea what's going to happen that's another.

I never understood why all pool games weren't call pocket or safety. There can still be luck like over hitting position by 3 feet and discovering that was actually the right position or using a jump cue instead of the playing cue or kicking.

Books and videos are loaded with fundamentals but I've yet to read a book that adequately deals with the mental side (that includes "Pleasures of Small Motions").

Everybody jumps on Earl Strickland I was ready for him to explode when Efren Reyes after hooking himself; 2 rail kicks in a ball to run out but he just cheered and went on his way.