PDA

View Full Version : Shanelle Loraine in Finals of Women's World Qualifier

Spade
05-03-2009, 05:47 PM
was just up at Fast Breaks in Orlando to check out some of the girls.
The beautiful Shanelle Loraine was tearing it up today, i was really impressed!
she beat Niki Rasmussen, one of the top women in Florida who's won her share of WPBA qualifiers, and then beat Vanessa Seaver, pro Jeannie seavers sister.

i had to leave but its Jeannie Seaver and Shanelle Loraine in the finals

i guess now shanelle is hot on and off the pool table :)

JAM
05-04-2009, 03:22 AM
i guess now shanelle is hot on and off the pool table :)

If you like to look at large sweat glands, I guess she is.

I hope her game has improved. Since she's a Dragon-sponsored player, it would be nice if she could play pool a little.

DelaWho???
05-04-2009, 03:41 AM
If you like to look at large sweat glands, I guess she is.

I hope her game has improved. Since she's a Dragon-sponsored player, it would be nice if she could play pool a little.

Does she have a perspiration problem????

I thought they were large milk glands, but maybe you were refering to something else.....

Who was the starlette who said "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"....

;)

JAM
05-04-2009, 03:44 AM
Does she have a perspiration problem????

I thought they were large milk glands, but maybe you were refering to something else.....

Who was the starlette who said "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"....

;)

Nope, they are sweat glands. :o

There is nothing wrong with being beautiful, but is beauty an attribute which should be given credence to compete in high-ranked events on an international scale is the question. Some sponsors believe this may be the only trait needed and that you do not have to be able to make three balls in a row. Hey, if you can get that kind of work, then more power to you.

I would suggest that talent is the way to go, and if you're beautiful and talented as a pool player, well, then that's a plus! :)

DelaWho???
05-04-2009, 03:53 AM
Nope, they are sweat glands. :o

There is nothing wrong with being beautiful, but is beauty an attribute which should be given credence to compete in high-ranked events on an international scale is the question. Some sponsors believe this may be the only trait needed and that you do not have to be able to make three balls in a row. Hey, if you can get that kind of work, then more power to you.

I would suggest that talent is the way to go, and if you're beautiful and talented as a pool player, well, then that's a plus! :)

I agree with you, but sex sells and that's what sponsors are trying to do.
It's the same in all sports. There is a female tennis "star" who has huge endorsements with Cannon, but hasn't really won any major tourney...
I don't keep up with tennis, so I'll date myself here and say Chris Evert sold more product than Billie Jean King.

You don't see very many WNBA players doing commercials, because most of them aren't very good looking. Then again I don't think you'd see Larry Byrd selling much Hugo Boss either.

From the original post it sounds like she was playing pretty damn good. Why not give her a little credit? Does it set you off when guys comment about Jasmine Ouchan's (sp) looks, or is it ok because she can run more than 3 balls?

:)

JAM
05-04-2009, 03:59 AM
I agree with you, but sex sells and that's what sponsors are trying to do.
It's the same in all sports. There is a female tennis "star" who has huge endorsements with Cannon, but hasn't really won any major tourney...
I don't keep up with tennis, so I'll date myself here and say Chris Evert sold more product than Billie Jean King.

You don't see very many WNBA players doing commercials, because most of them aren't very good looking. Then again I don't think you'd see Larry Byrd selling much Hugo Boss either.

From the original post it sounds like she was playing pretty damn good. Why not give her a little credit? Does it set you off when guys comment about Jasmine Ouchan's (sp) looks, or is it ok because she can run more than 3 balls?

Written by a man, I guess I can understand your line of thinking. ;)

About Jasmin, I love the fact that she's beautiful and can play pool, but I like her more for her talent than her beauty. Hey, that's just me. :o

I have read numerous posts on this forum about Shanelle. The majority of them are poo-poo posts about her sweat glands, and the few posts that are about her playing pool, from those who have seen her in person, were not very flattering as far as pool skills set go. :sorry:

One would think if a pool player is sponsored by a promotion company who claims to have the best pool players in their stable, that each member could play pool well. Maybe that's an assumption I should not have. :grin-square:

If looks are what sells, then have 'em all strip down and wear G-strings at the next event. If that's what you're selling, then let it all hang out. :)

JAM
05-04-2009, 04:03 AM
...You don't see very many WNBA players doing commercials, because most of them aren't very good looking. Then again I don't think you'd see Larry Byrd selling much Hugo Boss either.
One more thing, how about my Calvin Borel winning the Kentucky Derby. He may not be easy on the eyes, but I love seeing him win. He's a champion jockey.

I personally have always believed beauty is only skin deep.

From the original post it sounds like she was playing pretty damn good. Why not give her a little credit?

Congratulations to Shanelle for defeating Jeanie Seaver's sister and Niki Rasmussen. I hope these great triumphs are the beginning of better things down the road. :)

Scaramouche
05-04-2009, 04:30 AM
About Jasmin, I love the fact that she's beautiful and can play pool, but I like her more for her talent than her beauty. Hey, that's just me. :o

Bet you say the same things about Keith:D:D:D

JAM
05-04-2009, 04:31 AM
Bet you say the same things about Keith:D:D:D

Keith is the most beautiful human being I have ever had the privilege to know! :)

cuekev
05-04-2009, 07:18 AM
Keith is the most beautiful human being I have ever had the privilege to know! :)

Jam,

You said it "Keith is the most beautiful human being I have ever had the privilege to know!".

Commercials and TV programs don't allow us to get to know anyone and that is not their purpose. In commercials and TV beauty is only skin deep.

I agree with you most of the time but some times I don't understand why you want to take up this fight. Men are visual when it comes to sex and love to look at attractive women. If we didn't have this attraction heaven help the human race. I think many men think of women as sex object until they get to know them.

I like to watch pool on TV but all things being equal I would rather watch attractive women play. I don't think bikinis are a good idea for the WPBA.

Jam I appreciate your contributions to this forum but don't understand what you hope to accomplish by this. Discussion won't change sexuality.

Richardson
05-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Obvious jealousy.

Firecracker
05-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Doesn't this thread from DPNews kind of dispute the fact that Shanelle was in the finals???

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=140995

Wybrook
05-04-2009, 08:20 AM
You are linking to the wrong tourney. There were two (2) "World Championship qualifiers" in Orlando this weekend. One Saturday at Corner Pocket which Angel Paglia won and a 2nd one on Sunday at FastBreaks in Longwood.

Its always funny to watch these arguments about talent and beauty and such. I bet if there was a really hideous woman who played better pool than any other woman and got sponsored by Predator or someone big, there would be some comments made too. Imagine a huge poster of this person, dominating the WPBA (or something to that effect) doing underwear commercials for Calvin Klein. In a perfect world, everyone could be praised for their "inner" beauty as well as their appearance, however, this is our world. Instinct and millions of years of evolution have made us want to seek out and admire members of the opposite sex who are most attractive to us for breeding purposes. I know this will start yet another argument, but that's the way it is.

Shanelle really is a wonderful woman and she tries really hard to get better. She works up to 60 hours a week, tries to play about 10 hours and has a family life and social life. Just because she is gorgeous doesnt mean you have to hate on her. Maybe go meet her sometime and then come broadcast about how she doesnt deserve any sponsorship. She is such a great ambassador for pool with her dedication and charm that no one suffers from her participation, except all the haters who are jealous because they have never gotten anything in their life and wish they were in someone else's shoes. Yes, there are others who work hard at pool and "deserve" more recognition and sponsorship, but it will come. You only deserve what you get.

UrackmIcrackm
05-04-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm not a "hater" and I'm certainly not "jealous", but I'm also not "impressed".

When this young lady decides to play in regional women's and/or open events (as Yu Ram did this wkend) and can hold her own, then I'll be impressed.

In my opinion, having her not play in these events is better for CW than if she did. Its currently less embarrassing to put her in these DP international events. If she were trying to play on a women's regional tour or in open events, it would be blatantly obvious that she doesn't have what it takes to make it in the pool world (skill wise). It would make DP look sillier than they already do for putting her in the international events.

On a more positive note, it sounds as if all the practice under CW's tutelage has paid off somewhat. It seems as if her game is a little better today than it was a year ago.

LOL, at the end of the day, look at it this way - CW has Yu Ram playing in a lot of things like the Valley Forge womens event, women's regional tour events, & WPBA events but yet hasn't had Shanelle play in a single one of these events. Yu Ram can play, & Shanelle wouldn't (at this time) be able to hold her own. It would be detrimental for CW, DP, & Poison Cues to put Shanelle in any of those kinds of events until she can hold her own. This is of course, only my opinion.

JAM
05-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Jam,

You said it "Keith is the most beautiful human being I have ever had the privilege to know!".

Commercials and TV programs don't allow us to get to know anyone and that is not their purpose. In commercials and TV beauty is only skin deep.

I agree with you most of the time but some times I don't understand why you want to take up this fight. Men are visual when it comes to sex and love to look at attractive women. If we didn't have this attraction heaven help the human race. I think many men think of women as sex object until they get to know them.

I like to watch pool on TV but all things being equal I would rather watch attractive women play. I don't think bikinis are a good idea for the WPBA.

Jam I appreciate your contributions to this forum but don't understand what you hope to accomplish by this. Discussion won't change sexuality.

I find your post kind of sexist. As a female, I am of the opinion that talent on a field of green is much more appealing than large sweat glands. Sorry, that's the way I feel about it.

You may think my opinion is not a good one, but if you were to ask any of the "real" WPBA pros about what is the most important attribute to being a player, I have a feeling they would like to be remembered for their talent and not their sexual attraction to the viewers.

JAM
05-04-2009, 10:03 AM
You are linking to the wrong tourney. There were two (2) "World Championship qualifiers" in Orlando this weekend. One Saturday at Corner Pocket which Angel Paglia won and a 2nd one on Sunday at FastBreaks in Longwood.

Its always funny to watch these arguments about talent and beauty and such. I bet if there was a really hideous woman who played better pool than any other woman and got sponsored by Predator or someone big, there would be some comments made too. Imagine a huge poster of this person, dominating the WPBA (or something to that effect) doing underwear commercials for Calvin Klein. In a perfect world, everyone could be praised for their "inner" beauty as well as their appearance, however, this is our world. Instinct and millions of years of evolution have made us want to seek out and admire members of the opposite sex who are most attractive to us for breeding purposes. I know this will start yet another argument, but that's the way it is.

Shanelle really is a wonderful woman and she tries really hard to get better. She works up to 60 hours a week, tries to play about 10 hours and has a family life and social life. Just because she is gorgeous doesnt mean you have to hate on her. Maybe go meet her sometime and then come broadcast about how she doesnt deserve any sponsorship. She is such a great ambassador for pool with her dedication and charm that no one suffers from her participation, except all the haters who are jealous because they have never gotten anything in their life and wish they were in someone else's shoes. Yes, there are others who work hard at pool and "deserve" more recognition and sponsorship, but it will come. You only deserve what you get.

It is nice to read that Shanelle is a hard-working and wonderful woman. It must be difficult, I'm sure, to juggle the family/social life and play pool on a professional level. In fact, I know it is difficult.

I just don't understand why a person because of their physical appearance would be a good candidate to compete professionally in a sport. The lady pros in tennis, as an example, some of which are known for their beauty, do have strong skills set. They win tournaments. They put up a good fight in the matches.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with having both, beauty and talent. In fact, they would each complement each other in a good way in any sport. That, we all can agree on! :)

cuekev
05-04-2009, 10:15 AM
I find your post kind of sexist. As a female, I am of the opinion that talent on a field of green is much more appealing than large sweat glands. Sorry, that's the way I feel about it.

You may think my opinion is not a good one, but if you were to ask any of the "real" WPBA pros about what is the most important attribute to being a player, I have a feeling they would like to be remembered for their talent and not their sexual attraction to the viewers.

Sorry. Don't think I am a sexist but I am a man. If you feel a need to put labels on me feel free.

You seem to be upset that Shannelle gets undo attention and maybe advantages because of her looks. Well of course she does. It has always been this way and always will. The pretty girls get more dates and the good looking guys do to. She still needs to actualy qualify to make it into the WPBA events. Do you really think that what you or I for that matter think is going to stop this. I agree with you thinking it's unfair but think it's silly to argue over.

JAM
05-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Sorry. Don't think I am a sexist but I am a man. If you feel a need to put labels on me feel free.

You seem to be upset that Shannelle gets undo attention and maybe advantages because of her looks. Well of course she does. It has always been this way and always will. The pretty girls get more dates and the good looking guys do to. She still needs to actualy qualify to make it into the WPBA events. Do you really think that what you or I for that matter think is going to stop this. I agree with you thinking it's unfair but think it's silly to argue over.

Please don't misinterpret what I have said.

When I watch pool, I do enjoy seeing strong players. From what I have read on this forum from those who have seen this player play pool, the general consensus is that she is not a strong player. That does not mean she is a bad person at all, and I never meant to hint at that.

When I watch the male pro competitions, I am interested in seeing the game played, much more so than I am their physical appearance. For sure, I am not looking at any of them in a sexual manner.

cuekev
05-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Please don't misinterpret what I have said.

When I watch pool, I do enjoy seeing strong players. From what I have read on this forum from those who have seen this player play pool, the general consensus is that she is not a strong player. That does not mean she is a bad person at all, and I never meant to hint at that.

When I watch the male pro competitions, I am interested in seeing the game played, much more so than I am their physical appearance. For sure, I am not looking at any of them in a sexual manner.

Jam,

I have heard that she is not a very strong player. I respect your oppinion and enjoy reading your posts. I hope to run into you sometime. I have never met anyone on the forum with the exception of Randy and Scott. I hope to make it to the WPBA event in Michigan City. :)

JAM
05-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Jam,

I have heard that she is not a very strong player. I respect your oppinion and enjoy reading your posts. I hope to run into you sometime. I have never met anyone on the forum with the exception of Randy and Scott. I hope to make it to the WPBA event in Michigan City. :)

Cool. Let me know how the WPBA event goes. I am sure you are going to have a blast! :)

Sweet Marissa
05-04-2009, 10:53 AM
This isn't about jealousy. It's a fact that she gets attention because she's beautiful and has big breasts. Women here, and men encourage plenty of REAL female players who are both beautiful and have the talent for the game, to include, but not limited to:

Jasmin Oushan
Jennifer Barretta
Jeanette Lee
Sarah Rousey
Alice Rim
Angelina Paglia
Betty Sessions
Borana Andoni
Cristina Delagarza
Sarah Ellerby
Ga Young Kim
Gail Glazebrook
Hilary Morse
Linda Carter
Lara Rossignol
Ewa Laurance
Melissa Herndon
Ming Ng
Monica Webb
Samm Diep
Phoebe Choy
Rachael Abbink
Miyuki Sakai
Yu Ram Cha
Jennifer Chen
Xiaoting Pan

Explain why no-one is "hating on" them.

dragon81
05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Jam,

If you make it, maybe we can meet up? ;) I will playing in the event.

cuekev
05-04-2009, 11:05 AM
If you make it, maybe we can meet up? ;) I will playing in the event.

Dragon81,
Will that be your 1st WPBA tourney? I haven't been to one since they abandoned Michigan. :(

dragon81
05-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Dragon81,
Will that be your 1st WPBA tourney? I haven't been to one since they abandoned Michigan. :(

Nope, it's my 6th one :)

cuekev
05-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Nope, it's my 6th one :)

May I ask your name or is it a secret?

dragon81
05-04-2009, 11:41 AM
May I ask your name or is it a secret?

LOL- I am a nobody, Michell Monk

JAM
05-04-2009, 11:44 AM

Good luck, Michell! Hope you have a good tournament! :)

dragon81
05-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Good luck, Michell! Hope you have a good tournament! :)

Thanks! I hope so too....last year was such a BAD personal year...hopefully i can actually show up mentally this time...LOL;)

cuekev
05-04-2009, 11:58 AM

I hope you are only kidding. Your hardly a nobody if you made it to the big leagues! We AZer's have someone else to root for. I hope you have a great year.

Allison = Duchess of Doom

Karen = Irish invader

Jeanette = Black Widow

Michelle = Nobody (I think we have to change your nickname. It doesn't sound right. ;))

Patrick Johnson
05-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I have heard that [Shanelle] is not a very strong player.

Here's how she's listed for that Orlando tournament (no mention of her other qualifications) :

WORLD CLASS - Thorsten Hohmann, Charlie Williams
A+++ NATIONAL TOP RANKED PRO -Ronnie Wiseman, Tony Crosby,
A++ PROFESSIONAL -Adam Wheeler, Wayne Catledge, Hans Berber, Yu Ram Cha
A+ SEMI-PRO - Dan Lavoie, Hunter Lombardo
A REGIONAL PRO -Jeannie Seaver, Tracy Hines
A- TOP AMATEUR -Michell Monk(borderline B+)
B+ REGIONAL AMATEUR -George Saunders
B AMATEUR - Jessica Barnes, Niki Rasmussen, Larry Giles
B- ADVANCED - Shanelle Loraine, Chris Bledsoe
B INTERMEDIATE HIGH - Nicole Winters
INTERMEDIATE -
HIGH BEGINNER
INTERMEDIATE BEGINNER - Joanna Nguyen
BEGINNER

I hear that my friend Zarah Delrosario, who is not (yet) pro caliber but working on it, beat her.

pj
chgo

dragon81
05-04-2009, 12:08 PM
I hope you are only kidding. Your hardly a nobody if you made it to the big leagues! We AZer's have someone else to root for. I hope you have a great year.

Allison = Duchess of Doom

Karen = Irish invader

Jeanette = Black Widow

Michelle = Nobody (I think we have to change your nickname. It doesn't sound right. ;))

LOL that is cute! :)
And you are?
Thanks for the support!

pwd72s
05-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Decades ago, I was watching a baseball game on the tube with my dad.

Me, seeing the stats of the batter at the plate: "Ah, gee, he's no good, he's batting under 200."

Dad: "You're wrong. He's a damned good ballplayer."

Me: "What do you mean?"

Dad: "This is the big leagues, and he's there."

Michell, I've never seen you play, but you must be a damned good pool player. :)

dragon81
05-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Here's how she's listed for that Orlando tournament (no mention of her other qualifications) :

I hear that my friend Zarah Delrosario, who is not (yet) pro caliber but working on it, beat her.

pj
chgo

That is the handicapps system for the local Monday night tournament. As for the Orlando Open and Women's event, a different handicapping system was used, where games were spotted. I believe Shanelle spotted Zarah a game...2-3 race. I don't care who you are, when someone only needs 2 games...all it takes is a couple of crucial mistakes.
I played both Shanelle and Zarah, in one of the 3 events. They both got to the hill.

dragon81
05-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Decades ago, I was watching a baseball game on the tube with my dad.

Me, seeing the stats of the batter at the plate: "Ah, gee, he's no good, he's batting under 200."

Dad: "You're wrong. He's a damned good ballplayer."

Me: "What do you mean?"

Dad: "This is the big leagues, and he's there."

Michell, I've never seen you play, but you must be a damned good pool player. :)

LOL-thanks! Maybe I am a little more modest/humble. I don't know...;)
Or maybe I just get lucky a lot....

JAM
05-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks! I hope so too....last year was such a BAD personal year...hopefully i can actually show up mentally this time...LOL;)

Well, now I got somebody to root for. I'm going to cheer for you. I hope you get a good draw and that you keep knocking those balls in the hole. You can do it! :)

dragon81
05-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Well, now I got somebody to root for. I'm going to cheer for you. I hope you get a good draw and that you keep knocking those balls in the hole. You can do it! :)

aww thanks! :)
i always try my best!

pwd72s
05-04-2009, 12:30 PM
with tongue firmly in cheek...I gotta ask. Michell, has ANY tounament director ever asked your bra size?

Bad joke out of the way...go get 'em! It's psycological, but we all love seeing the ones at the top get humbled...

cuekev
05-04-2009, 12:55 PM
LOL that is cute! :)
And you are?
Thanks for the support!

Kevin Shafer also a nobody. We can fight over the nickname. ;)

catscradle
05-04-2009, 01:19 PM
I like to watch women,
I like to watch people that can play pool,
and I like to watch people who are the best at what they do.

When all three coincide it is a trifecta, but I'll settle for a single winning ticket.

That said, I find myself agreeing with JAM, Shanelle shouldn't be getting the endorsement opportunities she does while much better players get none. I know it is just the way of the world, but that doesn't mean I've got to like it.

cuekev
05-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Jam,

Do you think that is WPBA approved attire in Dragon81's avatar?

Just kidding. :)

Drew
05-04-2009, 01:29 PM
with tongue firmly in cheek...I gotta ask. Michell, has ANY tounament director ever asked your bra size?

Bad joke out of the way...go get 'em! It's psycological, but we all love seeing the ones at the top get humbled...

Since the very first days of the internet and the chatrooms of AOL...I have always enjoyed seeing e-flirting. It's just so cute. Carry on, gentlemen.

cuekev
05-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Since the very first days of the internet and the chatrooms of AOL...I have always enjoyed seeing e-flirting. It's just so cute. Carry on, gentlemen.

Thanks Drew,

I feel better now that I know you are looking down from above. :grin:

Patrick Johnson
05-04-2009, 01:52 PM

pj
chgo
That is the handicapps system for the local Monday night tournament. As for the Orlando Open and Women's event, a different handicapping system was used, where games were spotted. I believe Shanelle spotted Zarah a game...2-3 race. I don't care who you are, when someone only needs 2 games...all it takes is a couple of crucial mistakes.

When I complimented her she was very modest about the win, maybe that's why (although she's very modest anyway).

I played both Shanelle and Zarah, in one of the 3 events. They both got to the hill.

So you won both? Good shooting!

pj
chgo

dragon81
05-05-2009, 12:14 AM
When I complimented her she was very modest about the win, maybe that's why (although she's very modest anyway).

So you won both? Good shooting!

pj
chgo

Zarah is an absolute sweetheart! Modesty will take her far, plus she has drive. I hope she comes out to Indiana to watch Yu ram and I.

dragon81
05-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Jam,

Do you think that is WPBA approved attire in Dragon81's avatar?

Just kidding. :)

LOL-that's me playing pool "Jap-anime' style!
not really, I am far from a girly girl, don't think i could bend over the table in that =)

dragon81
05-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Kevin Shafer also a nobody. We can fight over the nickname. ;)

Deal! Look forward to meeting you! Butit will probably be easier for you to spot me =)

dragon81
05-05-2009, 12:18 AM

Can't say that they have.....ever...LOL

Mick56
05-05-2009, 05:19 AM
LOL-thanks! Maybe I am a little more modest/humble. I don't know...;)
Or maybe I just get lucky a lot....

Strange thing. The better a person becomes, the luckier they get!

Patrick Johnson
05-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Zarah is an absolute sweetheart! Modesty will take her far, plus she has drive. I hope she comes out to Indiana to watch Yu ram and I.

I'm going to hit a few with her tomorrow - I'll tell her you said so (it's Michelle, right?).

pj
chgo

Blackjack
05-05-2009, 06:22 AM
I'm going to hit a few with her tomorrow - I'll tell her you said so (it's Michelle, right?).

pj
chgo

It's Michell, without the "e".

Sweet Marissa
05-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Obvious jealousy.
Regarding your retaliatory negative rep, Richardson, which I laughed at, we are not jealous. The women here support many female pool players, with no regards to their looks. There are many beautiful pool players who can actually play that we support. The only time Shanelle Loraine comes up is when someone wants to comment on her bust size or pretty face.

cuekev
05-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Regarding your retaliatory negative rep, Richardson, which I laughed at, we are not jealous. The women here support many female pool players, with no regards to their looks. There are many beautiful pool players who can actually play that we support. The only time Shanelle Loraine comes up is when someone wants to comment on her bust size or pretty face.

Marissa,

I am sure you are right that the attention is not for her playing ability. I have seen her on Spike TV and she was both professional and articulate. The host treated her in a respectful manor. It was nothing but positive exposure on a channel that would otherwise ignore our game.

The only time I see comments about her bust or face is on this forum.

If somehow she qualifies and makes it to the WPBA TV matches’ it would only help the ratings and bring in more sponsors. Anna Kournakova never won a pro tennis tournament but she sure was good for women’s tennis. Better ratings and more money would help all the players.

In the mean time she still needs to qualify. ;)

Paul Mon
05-05-2009, 09:22 AM

That used to be my name before it was shortened;)

Patrick Johnson
05-05-2009, 11:23 AM

Just for the record, it gets tiresome (and so do all the pinup avatars) even for some of us guys. They don't offend me; they're just unadult.

pj
chgo

pwd72s
05-05-2009, 11:32 AM
No avatar here...of any kind. But P.J., I have a confession to make. When I was 15, I thought pretty young ladies looked incredibly hot. Now that I'm 65, married faithfully for decades, I still think pretty young ladies look incedibly hot!

Just enjoying the view doesn't mean one has an urge to possess...it may just mean one is enjoying the beauty for it's own sake.

DelaWho???
05-05-2009, 11:42 AM

Shanelle Loraine in Finals of Women's World Qualifier - 05-03-2009, 08:47 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

was just up at Fast Breaks in Orlando to check out some of the girls.
The beautiful Shanelle Loraine was tearing it up today, i was really impressed!
she beat Niki Rasmussen, one of the top women in Florida who's won her share of WPBA qualifiers, and then beat Vanessa Seaver, pro Jeannie seavers sister.

i had to leave but its Jeannie Seaver and Shanelle Loraine in the finals

i guess now shanelle is hot on and off the pool table

The OP referred to her as beautiful as well as hot on and off the pool table, however the main thrust of the post was her performance at Fast Breaks in Orlando. There was no mention of her attributes nor was the comment IMO crass in any way. I thought it was complimentary.

Should she not be mentioned because she isn't a top pro? Or should she be mentioned only if her looks aren't referenced in any way shape or form?

Keep in mind there were no provocative pictures or references to her looks. Anyone not knowing who she was wouldn't read into it as both you and JAM (the first poster to mention her bust sized) did that it was all about her looks.

JAM
05-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Keep in mind there were no provocative pictures or references to her looks. Anyone not knowing who she was wouldn't read into it as both you and JAM (the first poster to mention her bust sized) did that it was all about her looks.

Because it's been CRAMMED down our eyeballs ever since this young lady came onto the scene. I cannot tell you how many forum posts I have read on this forum about this young lady.

The majority of the posts written about her are about her physical appearance. Very little is said about her pool-playing capabilities.

It is nice to read that her game is improving in defeating a pro's sister and another gal from Florida, whose name I can't remember at the time of this writing.

I happen to think Jeanette Lee is beautiful, but the thing that distinguishes Jeanette Lee from all the rest is that the lady can actually play pool like a pro. I've seen Jeanette Lee kick butt and send many a male pro back home with their tail between their legs. :wink:

dragon81
05-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Strange thing. The better a person becomes, the luckier they get!

So they say...O:)

JAM
05-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Just for the record, it gets tiresome (and so do all the pinup avatars) even for some of us guys. They don't offend me; they're just unadult.

pj
chgo

"Unadult." I like that word! :grin-square:

dragon81
05-05-2009, 11:52 AM

pj
chgo

Hey now...I like my avatar =)

dragon81
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
It's Michell, without the "e".

pj
chgo

Yes, as blackjack said it is Michell without the 'e'....

That used to be my name before it was shortened;)

What is it now? =)

Patrick Johnson
05-05-2009, 12:05 PM
No avatar here...of any kind. But P.J., I have a confession to make. When I was 15, I thought pretty young ladies looked incredibly hot. Now that I'm 65, married faithfully for decades, I still think pretty young ladies look incedibly hot!

Congratulations.

Just enjoying the view doesn't mean one has an urge to possess...

Who said anything about having an urge to possess?

...it may just mean one is enjoying the beauty for it's own sake.

When you get together with your adult male friends do you all hold up your favorite pinup photos while you speak? Does every conversation about a pretty sports figure include everybody's opinion about how hot she is?

Those things make this place seem more like a high school boys' locker room than an adult discussion forum. Maybe I just overestimate everybody's age here...

pj
chgo

pwd72s
05-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Congratulations.

Who said anything about having an urge to possess?

When you get together with your adult male friends do you all hold up your favorite pinup photos while you speak? Does every conversation about a pretty sports figure include everybody's opinion about how hot she is?

Those things make this place seem more like a high school boys' locker room than an adult discussion forum. Maybe I just overestimate everybody's age here...

pj
chgo

I see your point... I hope you see mine.

cuekev
05-05-2009, 01:15 PM

pwd72s,

I agree with you.
The majority of men when they are together and see a pretty lady are going to talk about her. We are sexual creatures and it is a way of bonding. Old men in nursing homes still try to pick up the ladies. If most men do it I find it funny when someone wants to label it as immature. It is more normal than not. I guess that would make most men immature. Labels are great it makes the labeler feel superior by disassociation.

I do see how the avatars could offend some on the forum. I do like looking at them but if it offends some I could certainly live without.

catscradle
05-05-2009, 01:18 PM
pwd72s,

I agree with you.
The majority of men when they are together and see a pretty lady are going to talk about her. We are sexual creatures and it is a way of bonding. Old men in nursing homes still try to pick up the ladies. If most men do it I find it funny when someone wants to label it as immature. It is more normal than not. I guess that would make most men immature. Labels are great it makes the labeler feel superior by disassociation.

I do see how the avatars could offend some on the forum. I do like looking at them but if it offends some I could certainly live without.

As my Aunt used to say about my Uncle... "When he stops looking start shoveling dirt on his face, he's dead!" :wink:

Steve. <== Hopes his avatar isn't offensive.

cuekev
05-05-2009, 01:26 PM
As my Aunt used to say about my Uncle... "When he stops looking start shoveling dirt on his face, he's dead!" :wink:

Steve. <== Hopes his avatar isn't offensive.

Catscradle,

It offends me! It looks like they are talking about sexy women! :eek:

Patrick Johnson
05-05-2009, 01:59 PM

Sure. I just think all the "manliness" around here is pretty childish for a public forum - it's not offensive or a big deal to me (although I can see how it could be for others).

pj
chgo

Paul Mon
05-05-2009, 02:58 PM
What is it now? =)

You're kidding me. Aren't you?

Drew
05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
All this controversy over a girl?

To the ladies: Sex is everywhere. Always has been and always will be. You should probably just learn to deal with it because you're never going to change the fact that the world loves pretty girls.

To the men: I can understand the obsession. She looks good and plays pool. But let's be honest, there are women who play better pool. There are also women who look pretty damn good and show more skin (pm me for URL's).

Blackjack
05-05-2009, 05:09 PM
FWIW - I was at Cornerpocket on Saturday for the first WTB qualifier. I saw Shanelle having a very bad day. She wasn't playing well at all. However, she was still very cheerful, approachable, and nice to everybody despite her poor playing.

Less than a day later, she obviously got her game back in gear and finished very well.

Some people may not like her, but she is definitely one of the nicest players and nicest people playing today. Like Adam said in his post, she works a full schedule and still meets all of her obligations with playing and making appearances. She does a great job representing the game internationally - she may not be the best player in the world, but neither are any of us.

poolsnark
05-05-2009, 09:05 PM

I don't disagree with what you're saying about the fact that sex sells, but for the record Maria Sharapova is a 3 time Grand Slam champion with wins at Wimbledon 2004, US Open 2006 & Australian Open 2008.

Comparing Shanelle to Sharapova is the equivalent to comparing a Mini Cooper to a Ferrari.

jay helfert
05-05-2009, 10:49 PM
The pool world is an interesting place and there seems to be room for anyone who is ambitious, talented and/or personable. Everyone who so desires seems to find their own niche, whether it be playing pool professionally, owning a billiard room, giving lessons and putting on exhibitions, making videos/DVD's, writing, commentating, producing events, making cues or pool tables, or whatever else they can create. I have tried many of the above and still look for new worlds to conquer within our industry.

I remember a young Asian gal who so badly wanted to play in an event I was putting on in Los Angeles. I had no idea who she was, but she was so persuasive I told her I would save a spot for her. This young gal told me that she would be the world champion one day. Right, I thought. Within a couple of years she was the number one women player on the planet and signing all kinds of lucrative endorsement deals. Her name was Jeanette Lee.

I know just about as much about Shanelle as I did about Jeanette all those years ago. I don't hold it against her that she is attractive. In fact I give her a lot of credit for her appearance. More often than not, true beauty emanates from within. Every photo I see of her she is smiling and upbeat. From what I've read about her, she carries herself with class and dignity wherever she goes. And has a friendly demeanor to boot. I think she is an asset to the pool community and it remains to be seen what she will accomplish. For all we know, she may turn out to be a Godsend for women's pool and bring some major sponsorship onboard.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm glad she chose pool and is finding a role in our sport. It couldn't hurt to have an attractive, ambitious and personable woman holding a cue wherever she goes. 'A' player, 'B' player or 'C' player, makes no difference to me.

Minnesota Fats packed 'em in wherever he went, and was the leading man in the pool world for three decades. He kept our sport in the news time and time again. In his sold out exhibitions he rarely made a ball, mostly talking non stop. He never played in any tournaments either. He didn't even look that good. But he had charisma and I hope Shanelle does too. My wish for her is that she graces the cover of magazines, makes many appearances on TV and makes a lot of money doing it. And always with a pool cue in her hand. God bless her!

Luxury
05-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Little known fact: Anna Kournikova was a great tennis player. In doubles. Doubles is a totally different game that requires MUCH faster reflexes. She won 16 pro doubles tournaments including 2 grand slam wins at the Australian open. My hats off to her.

I wouldn't bother pointing out that a really great straight pool player or one pocket player never won any of the pro 9 ball tournaments that he entered. Just because 9 ball and singles tennis is what you mostly see on tv doesn't mean the other big wins in the other games shouldn't be noted as an endoresement deserving player.

Marissa,

I am sure you are right that the attention is not for her playing ability. I have seen her on Spike TV and she was both professional and articulate. The host treated her in a respectful manor. It was nothing but positive exposure on a channel that would otherwise ignore our game.

If somehow she qualifies and makes it to the WPBA TV matches’ it would only help the ratings and bring in more sponsors. Anna Kournakova never won a pro tennis tournament but she sure was good for women’s tennis. Better ratings and more money would help all the players.

In the mean time she still needs to qualify. ;)

RunoutalloverU2
05-06-2009, 02:13 AM
The pool world is an interesting place and there seems to be room for anyone who is ambitious, talented and/or personable. Everyone who so desires seems to find their own niche, whether it be playing pool professionally, owning a billiard room, giving lessons and putting on exhibitions, making videos/DVD's, writing, commentating, producing events, making cues or pool tables, or whatever else they can create. I have tried many of the above and still look for new worlds to conquer within our industry.

I remember a young Asian gal who so badly wanted to play in an event I was putting on in Los Angeles. I had no idea who she was, but she was so persuasive I told her I would save a spot for her. This young gal told me that she would be the world champion one day. Right, I thought. Within a couple of years she was the number one women player on the planet and signing all kinds of lucrative endorsement deals. Her name was Jeanette Lee.

I know just about as much about Shanelle as I did about Jeanette all those years ago. I don't hold it against her that she is attractive. In fact I give her a lot of credit for her appearance. More often than not, true beauty emanates from within. Every photo I see of her she is smiling and upbeat. From what I've read about her, she carries herself with class and dignity wherever she goes. And has a friendly demeanor to boot. I think she is an asset to the pool community and it remains to be seen what she will accomplish. For all we know, she may turn out to be a Godsend for women's pool and bring some major sponsorship onboard.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm glad she chose pool and is finding a role in our sport. It couldn't hurt to have an attractive, ambitious and personable woman holding a cue wherever she goes. 'A' player, 'B' player or 'C' player, makes no difference to me.

Minnesota Fats packed 'em in wherever he went, and was the leading man in the pool world for three decades. He kept our sport in the news time and time again. In his sold out exhibitions he rarely made a ball, mostly talking non stop. He never played in any tournaments either. He didn't even look that good. But he had charisma and I hope Shanelle does too. My wish for her is that she graces the cover of magazines, makes many appearances on TV and makes a lot of money doing it. And always with a pool cue in her hand. God bless her!

The best poster AtoZ has making an outstanding, thoughtful observation. You are a true assest Jay, may you never leave.

Melissa Herndon
05-06-2009, 10:21 AM

Well said Jay. I have never weighed in on the Shanelle issue before...but I've got to say that I feel sorry for the poor girl. She takes a lot of heat...and I don't feel like she deserves it. I understand that she does not play on the same level as WPBA pros...but should that stop her from accepting an endorsement from a cue company or invitations to overseas events organized by her sponsor? She's like a spokesmodel for Poison..who happens to have ambitions toward playing great pool. Would people have a problem if Poison hired a beautiful girl to be a non-playing spokesperson for their line? I doubt it.

The fact is...she made it to the finals of this qualifier. That is all that was posted originally...and that is news. That post would have been acceptable to all if it had said "Jane Doe" had made it to the finals. Shanelle is being discriminated against simply because of her bust size and her good looks...and that really isn't fair IMO.

I'll tell you a story that few know. When Jen Barretta first came on the scene...she faced a lot of unpleasantness on tour...and in the forums. Many thought that she was receiving too much attention for her skill level. It was said that she didn't deserve to be featured in BD when she had never won anything...nor had she made any mark yet on the WPBA. And when she did the FHM spread on the pool table in a bikini...well, I am surprised that she wasn't run out of town by a mob wielding pitchforks.

I was one of the people that knocked her. Not publicly...but I definitely has a green-eyed monster on my back. I would watch her play (and our styles are completely different) and rain down judgment about her game and then talk to my friends about how she only got the good PR because she was hot. It was crappy. I didn't like her...but I didn't know her.

Jen Barretta is one of my very best friends now. She knows about the past...that I was one of the haters...but we have worked past that and will be lifelong friends. That really says something about her character. And yes...she's hot...but she also became a terrific player with the support of her friends, her family and eventually...the rest of the billiard community.

We should do the same for Shanelle. There is no doubt that she would be good for women's pool. It cannot be denied that hot women bring attention to sports. Danica Patrick, Anna Kournikova, Natalie Gulbis...even though they all compete at a pro level....they also all have used their feminine attributes to sell their sport...and merchandise. So Shanelle isn't at that level yet...so what? With enough support...hopefully she will be one day. She isn't asking to be given a spot in the pros...she is trying to earn her way there. Shouldn't that be respected?

And for the record...I don't disagree that there have been a LOT of posts showing photos of her...talking about her "assets"...and so on and so forth. But that is men being men...and no one is being forced to read any of it.

That's my story...and I'm sticking to it.

Melissa Herndon

BryanBpool
05-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Well said Jay. I have never weighed in on the Shanelle issue before...but I've got to say that I feel sorry for the poor girl. She takes a lot of heat...and I don't feel like she deserves it. I understand that she does not play on the same level as WPBA pros...but should that stop her from accepting an endorsement from a cue company or invitations to overseas events organized by her sponsor? She's like a spokesmodel for Poison..who happens to have ambitions toward playing great pool. Would people have a problem if Poison hired a beautiful girl to be a non-playing spokesperson for their line? I doubt it.

The fact is...she made it to the finals of this qualifier. That is all that was posted originally...and that is news. That post would have been acceptable to all if it had said "Jane Doe" had made it to the finals. Shanelle is being discriminated against simply because of her bust size and her good looks...and that really isn't fair IMO.

I'll tell you a story that few know. When Jen Barretta first came on the scene...she faced a lot of unpleasantness on tour...and in the forums. Many thought that she was receiving too much attention for her skill level. It was said that she didn't deserve to be featured in BD when she had never won anything...nor had she made any mark yet on the WPBA. And when she did the FHM spread on the pool table in a bikini...well, I am surprised that she wasn't run out of town by a mob wielding pitchforks.

I was one of the people that knocked her. Not publicly...but I definitely has a green-eyed monster on my back. I would watch her play (and our styles are completely different) and rain down judgment about her game and then talk to my friends about how she only got the good PR because she was hot. It was crappy. I didn't like her...but I didn't know her.

Jen Barretta is one of my very best friends now. She knows about the past...that I was one of the haters...but we have worked past that and will be lifelong friends. That really says something about her character. And yes...she's hot...but she also became a terrific player with the support of her friends, her family and eventually...the rest of the billiard community.

We should do the same for Shanelle. There is no doubt that she would be good for women's pool. It cannot be denied that hot women bring attention to sports. Danica Patrick, Anna Kournikova, Natalie Gulbis...even though they all compete at a pro level....they also all have used their feminine attributes to sell their sport...and merchandise. So Shanelle isn't at that level yet...so what? With enough support...hopefully she will be one day. She isn't asking to be given a spot in the pros...she is trying to earn her way there. Shouldn't that be respected?
And for the record...I don't disagree that there have been a LOT of posts showing photos of her...talking about her "assets"...and so on and so forth. But that is men being men...and no one is being forced to read any of it.

Melissa Herndon

Superb post.

dragon81
05-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Anyone put in the lime light will be subject to scrutiny.
Shanelle is a beautiful, motivated and dedicated individual.
As Adam posted earlier, she has a full schedule with work and personal life, yet still finds time to practice, travel and compete.
Aside from physical appearance, she has one of the best personalities. She is great for the sport because she is personable. She works hard and trains even harder. She competes fiercely and always gives 110%. She might not be the best player, but how many times have we run across matches where the better player does not always win...it happens...maybe not always but it does. You still have to pocket balls to win, you still have to play safes to gain control.
She beat some tough competition at this tournament (Niki, Jessica and Vanessa) No weight was given, it was heads up races in 10-ball.
She also competed and did well in the amateur event on th KF cue tour and won some tough matches, that were streamed. The event was on tough tables that everyone struggled with and she showed adaptability to pull out the matches that she did. Out of 76 players, I think she got 1 out of the money, that tough...and should prove that she is a fighter.
She has drive and focus that will help her along the way. We are all pool players here and we all know the struggles.

TXsouthpaw
05-06-2009, 12:29 PM

Melissa Herndon

Great post. Im glad to see there are at least some girls out there who are willing to give shannelle a chance, rather than bash her for every little thing and bash us every time we bring her up. She IS trying to earn her spot on the wpa and should be commended for that. Not hated on because shes pretty.

It all reeks of jealousy and its sad.

JAM
05-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Great post. Im glad to see there are at least some girls out there who are willing to give shannelle a chance, rather than bash her for every little thing and bash us every time we bring her up. She IS trying to earn her spot on the wpa and should be commended for that. Not hated on because shes pretty.

It all reeks of jealousy and its sad.

It is amazing to me that because a female expresses their opinion about this particular player, they are accused of jealousy or bashing Shanelle. I, for sure, ain't jealous of this player. What a ridiculous thought! Sheesh!

She is sponsored by Dragon, I think. She has gone to other countries overseas representing the United States with Dragon, I presume. To me, it seems odd that a player of this caliber would be playing in tournaments overseas. If physical appearance is a characteristic that Dragon is looking for to sponsor, then that is certainly their prerogative for sure.

Ewa Mataya, Jeanette Lee, Allison Fisher are three ladies who, in my opinion, are beautiful, but that is not why I enjoy reading about them or watching them cmopete. I enjoy them because they can play pool well -- VERY WELL.

It is nice that Shanelle did well in this recent Florida event, beat a pro player's sister, and made it to the finals in a WPBA qualifier. It shows that she is trying to improve her game, and that is always a good thing.

Luxury
05-06-2009, 02:32 PM
If Shanelle was the #1 player in the world her matches would be on espn and on the cover of everything. No other sport figure is even close to her beauty and class. That's not just my opinion but what I feel the general public would feel.