PDA

View Full Version : Mother Drills suck!

stumpie71
05-03-2009, 06:23 PM
How can such a simple little drill have so many benefits. After years of trying different drills to straighten out my stroke, improve my alignment, my aim and my stroke. This simple little drill does it all.

After doing mother drill 5 for 15 times so far I have found problems with certain fundamentals that I can and have started to correct:thumbup:. Thank you Scott and I haven't filled out the form but I will and get it back to you soon. The plus is I can now shoot a ball from the head spot with a firm draw stroke and have it come back and hit my tip the majority of the time. Almost had the ball bust me in the mouth after leaving the shaft down to see it hit the tip and it bounced up and just missed my head:eek:. You might want to include a disclaimer from now on.

TX Poolnut
05-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Hmm........

i need somethin
05-03-2009, 07:06 PM
What is the mother drill?? Layout plz

SlickRick_PCS
05-03-2009, 07:33 PM
You wanna know what MY mother drillz are called? Two games: Straight Pool and Rotation; THAT'S my mother drillz! FARGO is my rating ability (thank you Mike Paige [I hope I didn't get that last name wrong :o:sorry:])

The Prodigy
05-03-2009, 07:33 PM
I have never heard of the Mother Drill, could you please go in depth?

Eruditass
05-03-2009, 08:03 PM
yeah they do!

Scott Lee
05-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Michael...Mother Drill 4 is the one where you run the CB up and down the center line, and back to your tip. This confirms your alignment, and accuracy of stroke. The goal is to hit your tip 10x in a row...at LAG speed. When you can do it at that speed ten times in a row, try increasing your stroke speed, or adjusting your tip position (as you said...a firm draw stroke). Mother Drill 5 is the speed control exercise, and your goal is to be able to stroke each speed perfectly, from 1 (lag) to 9 (70% of break speed), with no errors. The benefit of this exercise is learning to increase the velocity of the cuestick, using no muscle (loose grip), incrementally, at will, on demand, under pressure, on the first try! Keep up the good work my friend! :thumbup: Don't forget MD 1 & 2. How is your eye pattern working (Mother Drill 3)?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

How can such a simple little drill have so many benefits. After years of trying different drills to straighten out my stroke, improve my alignment, my aim and my stroke. This simple little drill does it all.

After doing mother drill 5 for 15 times so far I have found problems with certain fundamentals that I can and have started to correct:thumbup:. Thank you Scott and I haven't filled out the form but I will and get it back to you soon. The plus is I can now shoot a ball from the head spot with a firm draw stroke and have it come back and hit my tip the majority of the time. Almost had the ball bust me in the mouth after leaving the shaft down to see it hit the tip and it bounced up and just missed my head:eek:. You might want to include a disclaimer from now on.

sk8ordie
05-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Michael...Mother Drill 4 is the one where you run the CB up and down the center line, and back to your tip. This confirms your alignment, and accuracy of stroke. The goal is to hit your tip 10x in a row...at LAG speed. When you can do it at that speed ten times in a row, try increasing your stroke speed, or adjusting your tip position (as you said...a firm draw stroke). Mother Drill 5 is the speed control exercise, and your goal is to be able to stroke each speed perfectly, from 1 (lag) to 9 (70% of break speed), with no errors. The benefit of this exercise is learning to increase the velocity of the cuestick, using no muscle (loose grip), incrementally, at will, on demand, under pressure, on the first try! Keep up the good work my friend! :thumbup: Don't forget MD 1 & 2. How is your eye pattern working (Mother Drill 3)?

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Where did he see or learn this drill from? In other words, where might one find this drill? Thanks...Ron

Scott Lee
05-03-2009, 09:35 PM
He learned it in a private lesson from me. The Mother Drills are taught by SPF instuctors. You have a great one (pooltcher) close to you, in Charlotte. If you can't get there, I will be back in the Southeast the end of June, and can come work with you in Myrtle Beach. Many of the concepts of the Mother Drills are outlined in our instructional dvd, Play Better Pool, Vol. 1. You can order it from me, randyg, www.amazon.com or Muellers (www.poolndarts.com). From outward appearances, the Mother Drills are nothing more than a way to test your "personal process", and refine your preshot routine. They are neither difficult, nor tedious. It's the lesson in how to apply them appropriately that makes them so valuable to each student.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Where did he see or learn this drill from? In other words, where might one find this drill? Thanks...Ron

pooltchr
05-04-2009, 05:04 AM
Thanks Scott. Actually, as much as I love Myrtle Beach, I might even be talked into making a little road trip for a couple of days.

I just held a 2 day school in Raleigh last weekend, and we all had a great time. We now have a few more very excited players in that area.

Steve

randyg
05-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Mother Drills are just pieces of our game. We have 7 major Mother Drills that address the issues of ALIGNMENT-DELIVERY-AIMING-CUEBALL-SPEED CONTROL. When you put them all together, it's your personal game.

I work Mother Drill 1 all the time for my stroke. Mother Drill 5 is for my Speed Control. My favorite is Mother Drill 6, Stop Shots and Tangent Line drills.

I'm glad that Stumpie71 did his homework. Scott did a good job.....SPF=randyg

RBLilly
05-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Well I know from personal experience that mother drills rock! They will improve your game so fast if you are dedicated to doing them, and doing them correctly! I need to actually get back to the mother drills as my game has been lacking and most of it is due to lack of practice!

If you are serious about mother drills they might make you cuss........maybe they are called mother drills cause it makes you say mother f@#%#r? LOL

Just kidding, but they do help ooooohhhhhh sooooo much!

pooltchr
05-04-2009, 09:51 AM
I will tell you a little story about how well they work. Last summer, I got into a slump that I just couldn't snap out of. Fortunately, Randy was scheduled to be in town for our annual pool school in Charlotte. We went out to the pool room Thursday night before the class and shot pool for about an hour. We had a great time, and on the way home, I asked him "What am I doing wrong?". It took him all of about 5 seconds to help. All he said was "work on Mother Drill #3". I hadn't detected that my personal eye patterns were out of whack. As soon as he told me, I knew what I needed to do, and after about a week of working on the right drill, my game came right back, and is now better than ever.

The importance of having a trained set of eyes to help anyone (even instructors) identify problems is so valuable. The fact that Randy and I teach the same material made it very easy for him to point out my problem, and for me to go to work fixing it.

Mother Drills are an important part of Pool School. When applied properly, as students learn to do during the class, they can really help anyone improve their game.

With all the material presented in our classes, it's easy to overlook what might appear on the surface to be a very simple part of the class. The Mother Drills bring everything a student learns in class right into their game in a most effective way.

Steve

CocoboloCowboy
05-04-2009, 10:00 AM

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I bought this Training Aid (http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm?CFID=16183334&CFTOKEN=eb5f3594accc64e2-865893D0-D61C-4F06-B24EF8D2F490B515&Fuseaction=Catalog.Product&productID=6634) it help build a STRAIGHT STROKE!

Tennesseejoe
05-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I will tell you a little story about how well they work. Last summer, I got into a slump that I just couldn't snap out of. Fortunately, Randy was scheduled to be in town for our annual pool school in Charlotte. We went out to the pool room Thursday night before the class and shot pool for about an hour. We had a great time, and on the way home, I asked him "What am I doing wrong?". It took him all of about 5 seconds to help. All he said was "work on Mother Drill #3". I hadn't detected that my personal eye patterns were out of whack. As soon as he told me, I knew what I needed to do, and after about a week of working on the right drill, my game came right back, and is now better than ever.

The importance of having a trained set of eyes to help anyone (even instructors) identify problems is so valuable. The fact that Randy and I teach the same material made it very easy for him to point out my problem, and for me to go to work fixing it.

Mother Drills are an important part of Pool School. When applied properly, as students learn to do during the class, they can really help anyone improve their game.

With all the material presented in our classes, it's easy to overlook what might appear on the surface to be a very simple part of the class. The Mother Drills bring everything a student learns in class right into their game in a most effective way.

Steve

OK Steve, I'll bite---What is " Mother Drill #3"?

softshot
05-04-2009, 11:08 AM

it's the drill that ingrains your Personal Eye Pattern

:thumbup:

NewStroke
05-04-2009, 11:09 AM
After I took RandyG's SPF class, I did the mother drills religously for about 4 - 5 weeks. After things became more natural, I started doing them about once every three days but paid close attention to my stroke constantly. I also do these drills when things feel "out of whack". The greatest thing about the Mother Drills is that the the results are measureable and you can easily identify what you are doing wrong provided you pay attention.

Stick with those drills, you'll see the improvement soon enough.

pooltchr
05-04-2009, 11:41 AM

Personal Eye Patterns. My eyes were looking in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Steve

stumpie71
05-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Scott, if been really busy so I incorporated mother drill 4 and 5. I keep a record on a blackboard mounted on the wall. I was able to correct the elbow drop rather quickly. I'm up to 5 on the speed scale with the cb coming back to my tip (I leave my tip down till the last second then pull it out of the way) with an average between 75% to 85%.

Last night I changed it up and did 25 on 5 and 10 each on 1 thru 5 for a total of 75 shots. I rolled off line 4 times. I also shot 15 hard (4-5 speed) draw shots and was off line 3 times :D with only 1 hitting the blocking ball. I was pretty happy with that but now it makes me want to do it better.

For what it's worth, these drills can show your improvement if you keep track of your performance honestly. While I still have a long way to go I've seen very steady improvement in my game. I can now cut the hair off a nats ass with the cb now that I'm putting the cb where I'm aiming. Again, thanks for the help Scott.

Scott Lee
05-04-2009, 01:51 PM
I think it's very important to note that while we instructors (all instructors) feel that helping our students to gain an intraspective view of their own game and process (via whatever teaching methods), is our own personal goal; the real challenge to the student comes after the lessons. Only YOU (the student) can make yourself practice with due diligence and discipline (daily, if possible), for a long enough period of time (and this means in terms of days/weeks/months...for a short period of time...not hours and hours at a time), for your new 'process' to replace what you used to do. If you keep doing things the same way you have, you should expect the same results!:eek::D Real practice (NOT practicing playing) is sometimes tedious, boring, and frequently frustrating. Stick with it, and improvement will come!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com