PDA

View Full Version : What time does your Pool room close?

snipershot
05-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Just curious what time your local pool room or rooms close. My local place is changing to their summer hours and closing earlier. It has some folks upset, so I was wondering if other pool halls do that also. I understand the reason, although I disagree with it. Whats your opinion on it?

Joe

BWTadpole
05-04-2009, 02:07 AM
Just curious what time your local pool room or rooms close. My local place is changing to their summer hours and closing earlier. It has some folks upset, so I was wondering if other pool halls do that also. I understand the reason, although I disagree with it. Whats your opinion on it?

Joe

The room I go to closes at 3AM on weekdays and 4AM on Friday and Saturday. If anything, I still think they're closing too soon! :eek:

BTW, grats on the 400th post!

dave sutton
05-04-2009, 02:09 AM
gotta change with the times. summer = slow = close earlier. alot are like that

Poolhalljunkie
05-04-2009, 02:32 AM
The room I go to closes at 3AM on weekdays and 4AM on Friday and Saturday. If anything, I still think they're closing too soon! :eek:

BTW, grats on the 400th post!

Lucky you, I wish I had a room open till 3am, Abilene's close at midnight during the week and 1am on weekends

poolplayer2093
05-04-2009, 03:01 AM
it's shameful and proof i live in cali. my pool hall closes at 12am weekdays and 1am weekends

MilwShooter
05-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Last Call for Alcohol is 2am in Wisconsin and that's when they close. 2:30 on Friday and Saturday nights. They don't open until 11am.

rlw
05-04-2009, 04:49 AM

Joe

Never! ever!

Sam Waltz
05-04-2009, 04:54 AM
1:30am M-Sat
Midnight on Sundays. :(

macguy
05-04-2009, 05:10 AM

Joe
Room owners have to be sensitive to what is really going on in their area. Opening and closing hours in a business can be "self fulfilling prophesies".
I have seen places where the rule was that after a certain hour if it got slow they would close up. Could be 11:30- could be 12:30 what ever. You have to keep consistent hours even if no one is there.

If someone gets in the car and drive to your place only to find the door locked, they will assume you always close early or you don't keep trusted hours.. Either way you will kill off your business yourself. I owned a room and was open 24 hours. I had to stop serving beer at 6 am but could start again at 7 am. Amazingly there are a lot of people who are out and about in the middle of the night. I would often make as much from midnight to 6 as I made the rest of the opening hours, especially on weekends.

Either way you have to keep open as many hours and you can. Like I said, the hours you keep may determine your business and there may be business out there you didn't know about because you closed in their face.

sokaiba
05-04-2009, 05:38 AM
One that I frequent is open 24 hours and runs a red eye special. You can play from 2 am to 11 am for 5 bucks. Most of the other rooms close at 2 am.

jay helfert
05-04-2009, 05:42 AM
Mine NEVER closes! Only problem is we have only one table, so there may be a waiting list. :thumbup:

Richardson
05-04-2009, 06:32 AM
4am

however if the manager is there and someone is playing good sized money sets he will stay open til you're done.

pretty nice imho

orangecrush
05-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Depends on the county your in here. In Williamson county, they can only sell alcohol till 12 midnight. So all the poolhalls and bars close at midnight. In Travis county you can sell till 2am, and the poolhalls and bars close at 2am. There was a place in Travis county that would stay open till 4am, but they have changed owners and close at 2am again.

4am

however if the manager is there and someone is playing good sized money sets he will stay open til you're done.

pretty nice imho

BogeyFree
05-04-2009, 07:10 AM
I work at a pool room a cuppla days a week and the hours are noon-2AM every day.

Richardson
05-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Depends on the county your in here. In Williamson county, they can only sell alcohol till 12 midnight. So all the poolhalls and bars close at midnight. In Travis county you can sell till 2am, and the poolhalls and bars close at 2am. There was a place in Travis county that would stay open till 4am, but they have changed owners and close at 2am again.

yeah, no drinking in here past 2am.
You would be amazed though. The other night there was a race to 6 for $700 1pkt set. At 2am there was 19 people in the place still and at 4 am there was about 12. Not that alot of us were really spending money. Most of us were railing the action.

sde
05-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Never! ever!
That's right.

Anazeh Sands West
24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year since 1963.

Anazeh Sands East
24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year since 1994. But I've heard rumors that certain employees closed for a couple of hours for their own personal reasons. :(

Steve

CocoboloCowboy
05-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Our Commuinty Room is M-S 8-9 Winter Hours, 9-9 Summer Hours, and Sunday 12-5, or 6. If there is a Bowling Tourny, or League going later we leave when the Bowlers go home.

CreeDo
05-04-2009, 09:30 AM
it's shameful and proof i live in cali. my pool hall closes at 12am weekdays and 1am weekends

That's how it is for most of our pool halls on the east coast too. They're laid back though and will stay open if there's business, or for friends.

mikeyfrost
05-04-2009, 09:43 AM
yeah, no drinking in here past 2am.
You would be amazed though. The other night there was a race to 6 for $700 1pkt set. At 2am there was 19 people in the place still and at 4 am there was about 12. Not that alot of us were really spending money. Most of us were railing the action.

$500/man backing my guy and I take $200 in side action and no one even offered to buy me a soda... All I know is I expect a beer or something for the next matchup :-)

cowboyup200560
05-04-2009, 09:48 AM
yea and todays another big day huh mikey? lol peace bro lemme know how it comes out

TXsouthpaw
05-04-2009, 10:19 AM
2am everyday of the week.

wish it was 24 hours im a night owl.

Chris Byrne
05-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Tablesteaks in denver is open 24 hours

OneArmed
05-04-2009, 11:32 AM
If they serve alcohol, they have to close by 1am or 2am (depending on local law, state guideline is 2am)

We used to have a few pool halls open till 6am, but now only Jimmy's stays open till 4am as far as I know.

Zud
05-04-2009, 11:39 AM
2 pm - 2 am 7 days a week.

crawfish
05-04-2009, 11:45 AM
I have no idea. I know it's time to go when I think it's too far to walk (I live across the street about 150 yards).

center pocket
05-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Bogies in Houston is the only one I have come across thats 24-7. Most other rooms in the south (AZ-GA) are 11am or 12 - 2pm. Most lock the doors at 2am but stay open later for action only.

FAST_N_LOOSE
05-04-2009, 01:51 PM
room owners have to be sensitive to what is really going on in their area. Opening and closing hours in a business can be "self fulfilling prophesies".
I have seen places where the rule was that after a certain hour if it got slow they would close up. Could be 11:30- could be 12:30 what ever. You have to keep consistent hours even if no one is there.

If someone gets in the car and drive to your place only to find the door locked, they will assume you always close early or you don't keep trusted hours.. Either way you will kill off your business yourself. I owned a room and was open 24 hours. I had to stop serving beer at 6 am but could start again at 7 am. Amazingly there are a lot of people who are out and about in the middle of the night. I would often make as much from midnight to 6 as i made the rest of the opening hours, especially on weekends.

Either way you have to keep open as many hours and you can. Like i said, the hours you keep may determine your business and there may be business out there you didn't know about because you closed in their face.

great post.

I have my room open 1pm to midnight weekdays. Open til 2am friday and saturday night. We also open early on sat and sun at noon.

I don't do different summer hours. Like the quoted post says, regular hours are key.

Bobby
05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
3am during the week and 4am on the weekend. We used to have two 24 hour rooms but they're gone.

snipershot
05-04-2009, 05:01 PM
My local room changed their hours a few months back to 12pm - 2am. Now at midnight, they will close if there isnt enough business, which I understand, however the table rate goes from $3.00 an hour to $5.00 an hour after midnight if they stay open. I am a night owl, so I dont get there until 10-10:30, so now there really isnt any point in going up there. I love the place and the people, but I have been spending about 50-100 a week in there for the last few months, and I just cant pay the extra money to keep on playing there. There are a few of guys that always come in late and spend money, and now we have no place to go. I will still go there, but not as often, and for not as long. This really sucks!

Joe

Snapshot9
05-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Most places here, and the rest of KansaS are from 11 am to 2 am, 7 days a week. Some might not open till noon on Sunday.

DRW
05-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Tucson, AZ 11am to 2am 7 days a week at Pockets.

houmatroy
05-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I've always said that players in general that come from 24 hour towns have the advantage on towns that have curfews...like our best players from our town need the 7 from new orleans better players...the long gambling sessions are absolutely priceless IMO...I'm not talking bout the ones that have tables in their house but just the players in general & how it affects their memory muscle.

jensen_lover
05-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Houmatroy is probably talking about Buff's and Corner Pocket. Both are 24/7 and I do not know about CP but Buff's only close five or six times a year.

Thecoats
05-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Dan Tull's Shooters Billiards in Olathe Kansas does not close when there is action going on, it is pretty normal for there to be 20 tables going at 0300 on a Friday night. Normal hours are 1100 - 0200 365 days a year and 366 on leap years.

-don

Sam Waltz
05-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Dan Tull's Shooters Billiards in Olathe Kansas does not close when there is action going on, it is pretty normal for there to be 20 tables going at 0300 on a Friday night. Normal hours are 1100 - 0200 365 days a year and 366 on leap years.

-don

I hate Springfield, I'm comin' up there to play you some next weekend. I live in the land where action died so now I'm going to have to get in the car and hunt down someone to play. At least Dan has a full bar stocked with Sothern Comfort so I won't have to worry about having alcohol to consume! I'll send ya PM to letcha know if I'll be there on Friday or Saturday. :)

Str8PoolPlayer
05-31-2009, 02:56 PM
Jointed Cue ... SacTown ... I think Sunday - Thursday Midnight ... Friday - Saturday 1 a.m.

JMB
05-31-2009, 08:12 PM
If they serve alcohol, they have to close by 1am or 2am (depending on local law, state guideline is 2am)

We used to have a few pool halls open till 6am, but now only Jimmy's stays open till 4am as far as I know.
shooters in burnsville stays open till 6:00 am, seven days a week.

Fatboy
05-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Jointed Cue ... SacTown ... I think Sunday - Thursday Midnight ... Friday - Saturday 1 a.m.

We had a after hours "thing" going on there in the late 80's when I lived in Sac, I walked out of the Joint just as the sun was comming up many many times.

poolplayer2093
05-31-2009, 08:24 PM

Joe

midnight on weekdays 1am weekends. if the guys working feel like staying open. they'll usually stay open later for regulars