PDA

View Full Version : making a room for a pool table

karl4marquez
05-04-2009, 01:07 AM
i desperately want to buy a pool table but i don't have the place in our house. the garage can't be taken anymore. we don't have a basement. we have a huge backyard but it's no use if i can't have an "indoor" room for a pool table.
any ideas? like buying a large tent or something?

Da Bank
05-04-2009, 02:05 AM
there are plenty of quick build buildings or sheds you can build in your backyard i suppose or add space to your house into your yard.

mamono
05-04-2009, 02:29 AM
Look into a sunroom addition to the house, they are cheap, most cities will approve of this type of house extension, and it adds value to the house. Only probably with this is that, you'd probably want to relocate your living/family room to the sunroom and use the now vacant living/family room as the billiard table room because sunroom glass panes don't react well to cueballs flying off the table during breaks or misaimed jump shots.

sfleinen
05-04-2009, 05:24 AM
Look into a sunroom addition to the house, they are cheap, most cities will approve of this type of house extension, and it adds value to the house. Only probably with this is that, you'd probably want to relocate your living/family room to the sunroom and use the now vacant living/family room as the billiard table room because sunroom glass panes don't react well to cueballs flying off the table during breaks or misaimed jump shots.

Mamono:

This is a great idea! There are devices like the "SunSetter" (roll-up overhead sunshade):

http://sunsetter.com/

...that have a screen room attachment to them, that fully-encloses it:

http://sunsetter.com/screenroom.asp

Add an indoor/outdoor pool table:

JPJ Indoor/Outdoor Pool Table (http://costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=30380&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|58837&N=4018230&Mo=17&No=10&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=392&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=)

...and one has it made!

Hope this is helpful,
-Sean

TheBook
05-05-2009, 06:16 AM
If you have the room to make it figure out the size that you think that you will need and then double it. After that add a few more feet.

I think the problem will be that when and if you make it you will wish it was a little bigger.

Plan for some tables, and or a game table, chairs, a TV or 2, stereo, computer, refrigerator (Kegerator), bed??, microwave, counter and cabinet space. Ideally room for a 9 ft and a bar box, and a back up generator.
And if possible a small lav.

Think big. :joyful:

MilwShooter
05-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Where do you live? You'll get more specific answers if we know the type of climate you live in.

poolfoole
05-05-2009, 06:32 AM
i desperately want to buy a pool table but i don't have the place in our house. the garage can't be taken anymore. we don't have a basement. we have a huge backyard but it's no use if i can't have an "indoor" room for a pool table.

What's wrong with having a pool room built in your back yard? That's what I did. I recently had a 24 X 16 room built in my back yard, and it works great for all of my home pool playing needs. It beats the hell out of practicing in a public pool room.

karl4marquez
05-07-2009, 03:19 AM
exactly. How do I build a room at my backyard? I assume you hired a carpenter, right? if so about how much does it cost?

TheBook
05-07-2009, 08:01 AM
exactly. How do I build a room at my backyard? I assume you hired a carpenter, right? if so about how much does it cost?

I would look into a prefab metal pole barn. They are relatively cheap, can be insulated, easy to assemble. They are also durable and don't require much maintenance

poolfoole
05-07-2009, 08:10 AM

No, I didn't build it myself. I hired a retired contractor who's good friends with my father. He did great work. I spent several thousand dollars for labor and building materials of the 24 X 16 room. It ain't cheap. I would've spent a whole lot more had I hired some contractor that I didn't know. I already had the pool table. I highly recommend you don't get one of those pre-built storage rooms like Home Depot sales, no matter how good of a deal you think you're getting. You'll be sorry if you do.

deadstroke7
05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
I would build a de-tached 2-car oversized garage and go from there. Then, if you leave, the house would resell with a nice extra garage space.

Experienced builders are the way to go. And I agree with an above post. Make it bigger than you think, cause you'll want more later....

bigshooter
05-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Tell your wife you're buying her a new house.

chin0
05-07-2009, 04:31 PM
I have the same problem, my basement is big enough for a 9ft table if there were no pillars, but I don't think it is possible to have a basement with no pillars or relocate them. They are 2foot by 2 foot concrete pillars lol and my garage is a one car detached that isn't big enough, sigh, wouldn't it be nice if I was able to practice at home and have a table all to myself, a dream!

TX Poolnut
05-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Yes, buy an extremely large tent.

cycopath
05-07-2009, 08:28 PM

I have a 20x40 metal shop that I partitioned into two rooms. Initially I expected to spend about $300 to just build a partition wall, separating the pool tables from the "garage" area. After I started things got more and more complex, adding stud walls, insulation and drywall to all the pool room walls. Also running 150ft+ of new electrical and a bunch of receptacles. So at this point the room is still lacking paint, some kind of flooring and eventually an acoustic tile ceiling and I'm at $2000+ spent.

The moral of the story is:

It's always more expensive, than first planned!

http://cyco-web.com/pics/poolroom/room01.jpg

http://cyco-web.com/pics/poolroom/room02.jpg

http://cyco-web.com/pics/poolroom/room03.jpg