PDA

View Full Version : Back To Le Pro

Tennesseejoe
05-04-2009, 10:55 AM
After using many layered tips for several years I finally switched back to Le Pro. Why? Cue ball control. It just seemed that my stop shot was not consistent with the layered tips. If the stop shot was not consistent my thinking is that I was not as consistent with side English as well.

This brought me back to "why did I switch from Le Pro?" I though it was the poor quality of the Le Pro but that was not the case. The real trick is having a professional install a tip. It has to be done properly.

center pocket
05-04-2009, 11:01 AM
I have been considering changing to single layer tips, such as triangle or le pro. Alot of the pros seem to prefer these type tips.

bigfred
05-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Have you tried a shaved down Moori? Great control and consistent hit. I have been using them for years, and I won't change!! Good Luck!

bnall
05-04-2009, 11:48 AM
After using many layered tips for several years I finally switched back to Le Pro. Why? Cue ball control. It just seemed that my stop shot was not consistent with the layered tips. If the stop shot was not consistent my thinking is that I was not as consistent with side English as well.

This brought me back to "why did I switch from Le Pro?" I though it was the poor quality of the Le Pro but that was not the case. The real trick is having a professional install a tip. It has to be done properly.

I have tried most of all the layered tips out there. Its hard to beat a good old trianlge or lepro. Lately I have been making my own Milk Duds. These tips gives you the best of a hard tip and soft tip. They have the feel of a hard tip and grabs like a soft tip. Heres a pic of them.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj129/bnall69/IMG_0338.jpg

Pushout
05-04-2009, 12:44 PM

This brought me back to "why did I switch from Le Pro?"

I was having the same problem with stop shots. Joe Tucker's 3rd Eye Stroke Trainer showed it was me, not the tip.
Going to see Mike Gulyassy tomorrow, I think. May have him put a Le Pro on the one of the two original shafts that I use the most. Probably won't change the newer shafts.
I switched from Le Pros because I got sick of going through several before finding one that wouldn't mushroom/flatten out.

FAST_N_LOOSE
05-04-2009, 01:53 PM
[quote=bnall;1802533]i have tried most of all the layered tips out there. Its hard to beat a good old trianlge or lepro. Lately i have been making my own milk duds. These tips gives you the best of a hard tip and soft tip. They have the feel of a hard tip and grabs like a soft tip. Heres a pic of them.

you starting with a lepro or a triangle?

I like the soaked/pressed elkmasters. But they really need to be pressed hard.

Bigtruck
05-04-2009, 02:08 PM

Marcus!!

What's up buddy? Do you press those yourself?

Ray
(enjoys the rare(outside of wanted/for sale) sighting) :shocked:

FAST_N_LOOSE
05-04-2009, 02:10 PM
marcus!!

What's up buddy? Do you press those yourself?

Ray
(enjoys the rare(outside of wanted/for sale) sighting) :shocked:

hey ray,
i've been sneaking out of the w/fs section a little lately.

I do press elkmasters here, but the best ones i've found come from muellers. Ryan makes them, at they are pressed hard, and play great. He calls them dudleys.

shamadam
05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
hey ray,
i've been sneaking out of the w/fs section a little lately.

I do press elkmasters here, but the best ones i've found come from muellers. Ryan makes them, at they are pressed hard, and play great. He calls them dudleys.

I totally agree Marcus. I was on the Sniper kick, but after I tried the
Dudleys, thats all I play with right now.

Johnnyt
05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Everbody likes a different feel to a tip. I've tried the layered types and came back to a LePro quickly. I've been useing them for 40 years at least. Johnnyt

bnall
05-04-2009, 07:06 PM
[quote=bnall;1802533]i have tried most of all the layered tips out there. Its hard to beat a good old trianlge or lepro. Lately i have been making my own milk duds. These tips gives you the best of a hard tip and soft tip. They have the feel of a hard tip and grabs like a soft tip. Heres a pic of them.

you starting with a lepro or a triangle?

I'm using elk masters. I press them in a hydraulic press w/psi gauge at work. I can make them as hard as I want with them staying at 14mm.

grindz
05-04-2009, 08:50 PM
a week or two ago and went on a tear playing ghostly 9 ball. :wink:
When I asked what kind of tip they used... it was a triangle.

I'm having one put on my cue soon. How do they compare with a Lepro?
It's been so long since I've used one .. I can't remember

td

JasonCrugar
05-04-2009, 10:47 PM
a week or two ago and went on a tear playing ghostly 9 ball. :wink:
When I asked what kind of tip they used... it was a triangle.

I'm having one put on my cue soon. How do they compare with a Lepro?
It's been so long since I've used one .. I can't remember

td

triangle tips are the best imo. buying a le pro... now that's what i call gambling!!!!! quite a few of the le pro's i have bought were flawed. 35 to 40 % either split and came off or didnt last a month. i like triangles prolly the best out of any tips.

FAST_N_LOOSE
05-05-2009, 08:30 AM
triangle tips are the best imo. Buying a le pro... Now that's what i call gambling!!!!! Quite a few of the le pro's i have bought were flawed. 35 to 40 % either split and came off or didnt last a month. I like triangles prolly the best out of any tips.

the triangle is also a gamble.....i've thrown entire boxes away.

FAST_N_LOOSE
05-05-2009, 08:31 AM
[QUOTE=FAST_N_LOOSE;1802775]

I'm using elk masters. I press them in a hydraulic press w/psi gauge at work. I can make them as hard as I want with them staying at 14mm.

OH, THEY DIDN'T LOOK LIKE THE ELKS, THAT'S WHAT HAD ME CURIOUS.

Paul Mon
05-05-2009, 08:50 AM

I agree. The LePro or Triangle play every bit as good as a layered tip. In my case I'm comparing them to Talisman Medium. A friend gave me a LePro milkdud and I actually don't care for it. Not sure exactly what it is but I seem to miscue more and get less spin. I'm sticking with the Talisman Med (until I run out of them) or LePro. BTW, I've had real good Triangle tips too. Just that I haven't had one on in quite a while.

Pushout
05-05-2009, 03:36 PM
triangle tips are the best imo. buying a le pro... now that's what i call gambling!!!!! quite a few of the le pro's i have bought were flawed. 35 to 40 % either split and came off or didnt last a month. i like triangles prolly the best out of any tips.

Le Pro tips have had this problem since I started playing. I decided to have Mike Gulyassy put a Triangle on one of my original shafts this morning, despite my own negative experience with them. So many people on AZ swear by them, I decided to give one another shot. As Mike was cleaning my main {newer} shafts, I asked him what kind of tips he thought they were. This had been in debate since I got the tips on those shafts some time ago. They were not what they were supposed to be, I just didn't look closely at them at the time. Anyway, Mike says they are both Triangles, also!! I've liked them since I've had them, just didn't know what they were.

SCCues
05-06-2009, 04:14 AM
the triangle is also a gamble.....i've thrown entire boxes away.

I've installed quite a few triangle tips for local players and one day I installed 5 triangle tips on a shaft before I got one that I could shape properly. The first 4 looked terrible when I started cutting them down and all I could do was to cut them off and start over. That's a lot of work for a $10 tip job!

James

Rob_jerrylee
05-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Well guys I know we all like different tips but I really don't like the le Pro that's on my Mcdormett , I can't keep a shape on it worth anything so as soon as leagues are over in a week I'm having it changed .

Tennesseejoe
05-06-2009, 10:07 AM

Once again---the real trick is in the installation. Some professionals with expensive equipment do not know how to do it correctly.

trob
05-06-2009, 04:39 PM
I dropped off my ob1 for a new tip this weekend. I play with a layered tip normally. I had to play with my schon shaft all weekend. I was worried about playing with a normal shaft after playing with the ob1 for 2 years but that wasn't the problem. The schon hit great it was the lepro tip that sucked to me. I could never seem to get that extra spin when I needed like I could do with the ob.