PDA

View Full Version : Develop concentration to play pool???

Duane Remick
05-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Any tips, books, cd's, etc,
THANKS
" Please, No chemically-enhanced programs :eek:
...maybe some mental gymastics :idea:

Bobby
05-04-2009, 02:37 PM
THANKS

One thing that really seems to work is if you're playing in a match make sure you keep your eyes on the table and balls even when you're not shooting. When your opponent is shooting watch the table don't look around the room. It sometimes produces an almost trance like state and often leads to playing better, at least in my experience.

Pushout
05-04-2009, 03:58 PM
One of the things I learned from George Fels's book Mastering Pool: after cue ball/object ball contact, watch the cue ball, not the object ball on it's way to the pocket. Improves position play, when I remember to do it:)

Joe T
05-04-2009, 04:10 PM
One thing that really seems to work is if you're playing in a match make sure you keep your eyes on the table and balls even when you're not shooting. When your opponent is shooting watch the table don't look around the room. It sometimes produces an almost trance like state and often leads to playing better, at least in my experience.

I totally agree and would just add when you're walking back to the chair avoid eye contact and anger, the trance will come.

Also I think these make for good investments and you do not have to know anything about golf;
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bob-Rotella-CD-Collection/dp/0743544773#

claymont
05-04-2009, 04:13 PM
This is a decent book, fairly easy read: Pleasures of Small Motions: Mastering the Mental Game of Pocket Billiards (http://www.amazon.com/Pleasures-Small-Motions-Mastering-Billiards/dp/1585745391) Make sure you get the second edition version, if you get it.
I should actually get it out and reread it:)

THANKS

3andstop
05-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Boy I wish I knew the secret to this question. Of course searching the threads here will bring up all the standard recommended books and such i.e. the Inner Game of Tennis and The Pleasures of Small Motions. Both of which are tremendous reads and very helpful, but reading and being able to beckon and implement what is read is another thing all together.

IMHO there are far too many factors involved in answering such a complicated question and they differ for everyone. Some of the things that come to mind are ;

How many things outside of pool clutter your thoughts. Family, work, money, bills, kids, home repairs put on the back burner so you can play. These are factors that impede concentration on what is at hand.

Ability. The better a "base" player you are the more things you can leave to "auto pilot" which will allow you to focus on the things you have to in order to execute. It's impossible to think everything through in the time you stroke your shot, and how much experience, ability and feel you have will determine how deeply you can think.

Desire. How much PURE desire do you have to perform to you peak ability. Do you devote quality practice time to your efforts?

There are a ton more, I'm sure. But the point is, I think it's different for everybody and there isn't a blanket answer that one person can offer that will be a cure all.

JoeW
05-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Some ideas from your local, friendly, and retired psychologist.

I think this is a straightforward problem. The ability to concentrate intensely and the ability to maintain one’s concentration for extended periods of time are trainable abilities.

To learn to concentrate intensely use a technique that narrows your focus over time. For instance, begin to aim, really aim, while standing. Keep your eyes open and don’t blink as you bend over. Stare at the exact 1/32” contact point and become aware of its location relative to both sides, top and bottom of the ball. One way to do this is to cut the OB in half on the vertical axis, then on the horizontal axis and locate this point in the ball's space.

From the shooting position, become aware of the full length of the cue stick and its placement on the line. Become aware of the center of the CB and its position relative to the vertical and horizontal axis. Next become aware of where the front of the CB will strike the OB. If it is a cut shot requiring the use of the side of the CB become aware of where front center of the CB will be when it strikes the intended target. I have learned to use the cue stick to aim and also become aware of the cue tip placement relative to all of these centers.

All of these things require an increasing amount of intense concentration, especially when you throw inthe exact lines of travel. Practice this on every shot for ten or so shots. Over a period of a week or two and you will find that your ability to intensely concentrate will improve because you have trained for this ability.

To develop the ability to sustain this intense level of concentration extend the length of the training sessions by 10 minutes every few days until you can't take it any longer !

Intense concentration involves the ability to tune out other stimulation. You need to be able to trust yourself and the surrounding environment to the extent that you can allow yourself to “get lost” in the moment. Allow yourself to become aware of the idea that your attention is becoming more and more focused. That you are becoming less and less aware of the surrounding environment.

As you notice that your ability to intensely concentrate is incresing, you can throw in exact estimates of the CB lines of travel given various amounts of side spin. And there you have a life time of work / play.

PS. When I use this training method I train for 20 minutes and then take a break. The mind can only take so much intense concentration before it needs a rest. I am on a ten minute break now and will go and do it all over again. I try to have three sessions in one day when I use this training method. But I don't do it every day. I am now officially "old" and just like the mental exercise.

Semper Fi, There are no retired Marines, I served 1961 - 1965, Second Marine Air Wing.

TX Poolnut
05-04-2009, 05:50 PM
What JoeW said.

CreeDo
05-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Hrm, I gotta admit I find these questions puzzling. I'm not trying to be too cute when I say this... but if you enjoy pool and you are competitive, then being able to concentrate ought to come automatically.

If you learn about the game (not the mental aspect but all the nitty gritty details like throw, tangent lines, force follow, whatever) then you will have a lot of little things to pay attention to. All those neat little details should absorb you and grab your attention. Each shot is like a little puzzle you have to solve. With all that stuff to think about, how can you be concentrating on anything else (unless someone or something is really being distracting... i.e. sharking or loud music)?

If you have trouble concentrating at the pool table, and nothing specific is distracting you, you may need to try some medication. I'm not being a smartass when I say this. I tried adderall for ADD a while ago and the first night on it I ran 3 racks in a row right off the bat (and a few more throughout the evening). The stuff works. I'm not on it anymore but in my experience.. you are not going to learn concentration from reading a book or watching a DVD.

All you really need is to care a lot about your shot and your leave. Your level of focus will be determined by how much you care.

Pushout
05-04-2009, 11:14 PM
If you have trouble concentrating at the pool table, and nothing specific is distracting you, you may need to try some medication. I'm not being a smartass when I say this. I tried adderall for ADD a while ago and the first night on it I ran 3 racks in a row right off the bat (and a few more throughout the evening). The stuff works.

I have ADD myself and was on medication for it for a while. I don't remember what it was at the moment {wasn't adderall} but when I started taking it, my game improved almost overnight. I know that whatever it was eventually made me depressed and I stopped taking it and haven't replaced it for several years now. I wouldn't suggest taking any of that stuff unless it was with a doctor's recommendation.
Jesus, I knew a lot of guys who played on speed back in the day and some still do!

dragon81
05-05-2009, 01:02 AM

I think this is a straightforward problem. The ability to concentrate intensely and the ability to maintain one’s concentration for extended periods of time are trainable abilities.

To learn to concentrate intensely use a technique that narrows your focus over time. For instance, begin to aim, really aim, while standing. Keep your eyes open and don’t blink as you bend over. Stare at the exact 1/32” contact point and become aware of its location relative to both sides, top and bottom of the ball. One way to do this is to cut the OB in half on the vertical axis, then on the horizontal axis and locate this point in the ball's space.

From the shooting position, become aware of the full length of the cue stick and its placement on the line. Become aware of the center of the CB and its position relative to the vertical and horizontal axis. Next become aware of where the front of the CB will strike the OB. If it is a cut shot requiring the use of the side of the CB become aware of where front center of the CB will be when it strikes the intended target. I have learned to use the cue stick to aim and also become aware of the cue tip placement relative to all of these centers.

All of these things require an increasing amount of intense concentration, especially when you throw inthe exact lines of travel. Practice this on every shot for ten or so shots. Over a period of a week or two and you will find that your ability to intensely concentrate will improve because you have trained for this ability.

To develop the ability to sustain this intense level of concentration extend the length of the training sessions by 10 minutes every few days until you can't take it any longer !

Intense concentration involves the ability to tune out other stimulation. You need to be able to trust yourself and the surrounding environment to the extent that you can allow yourself to “get lost” in the moment. Allow yourself to become aware of the idea that your attention is becoming more and more focused. That you are becoming less and less aware of the surrounding environment.

As you notice that your ability to intensely concentrate is incresing, you can throw in exact estimates of the CB lines of travel given various amounts of side spin. And there you have a life time of work / play.

PS. When I use this training method I train for 20 minutes and then take a break. The mind can only take so much intense concentration before it needs a rest. I am on a ten minute break now and will go and do it all over again. I try to have three sessions in one day when I use this training method. But I don't do it every day. I am now officially "old" and just like the mental exercise.

Semper Fi, There are no retired Marines, I served 1961 - 1965, Second Marine Air Wing.

WOW! That helped me! Thanks!

edd
05-05-2009, 05:56 AM
THANKS

Hello Duane,
Search in the the Wanted/For Sale forum for "Mind/Body Pool" and send me a PM with any questions.

emf123
05-05-2009, 10:36 AM
If your serious about the mental game, get Pleasures of Small Motions. It's so in depth and profound that I can't give it justice in a message board post.

I'll try to shed a little light on the topic though. The word "concentrate" is derived from "concentric" meaning having a center. Your body - starting with your hand, then forearm, then upper arm and everything on your body - is what effects the outcome of a shot. How well you perform a shot is a function of how often you've performed it and your ability to recall it from your muscle memory. The ability to recall this information and "feel" a shot is vital to success. Therefore, if you want to improve your play, begin by recognizing the feelings that you associate with successful shots, establish this library of feelings and images in your brain. Then when it's required, you can pull them from your library and form a feed-forward image of you successfully completing the shot. Now it's up to your body to complete the task, let your subconscious mind take care of that part, no thinking allowed!

So there, concentrate on your body! Just be more aware of your body when your practicing, especially when you sucessfully execute.

Eric

Ponytail
05-05-2009, 10:46 AM
you can throw in exact estimates of the CB lines of travel given various amounts of side spin.

An exact estimate?!?

It's exactly almost 100 dollars? How do exact estimates work?

\Just sayin...

Cue Guru
05-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Here's a trick I sometimes use. It can annoy others, but your not concerned about their concentration (and they are certainly not concerned about yours!)

Cost: $0.25

Item: Ear Plugs!

Take one significant stimuli out of the equation, and you mind is better able to focus the others. Like how blind people have amazing hearing- the other senses pick up the slack.

Give it a try!:wink:

JoeyA
05-05-2009, 04:45 PM

Howard Ikeda, a very good road player told me to keep my eyes on the table and the balls even when my opponent is at the table because it helps keep your eyes focused on the object balls and that it helps keep you in stroke. It has led to better playing for me too.

JoeyA

JoeyA
05-05-2009, 04:50 PM

I like the advice and will try some of this. God knows I need to increase my level of concentration.

JoeyA

grindz
05-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Play chess!

td

JoeyA
05-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Play chess!

td

Nah! I'm going to go borrow a nephew's 7 year old hyper-active son and bring him with me to the pool hall while I practice and gamble. That'll whip me into shape, fo' shizzle.

JoeyA

crawfish
05-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Can you say "Adderall"? Yeah, baby. Throw in a little.. Oh wait, I shouldn't be joking around like this. Joking. Only joking.

grindz
05-06-2009, 08:30 AM
:wink:

I actually know of multiple high level past and present pros that have used chess to tune their concentration. The brain is a muscle! I know.... mines kind of flabby.:eek:

td

JoeyA
05-06-2009, 08:40 AM
:wink:

I actually know of multiple high level past and present pros that have used chess to tune their concentration. The brain is a muscle! I know.... mines kind of flabby.:eek:

td

If it's good enough for Grindz and Efren, it's good enuff for me.

JoeyA

JoeW
05-06-2009, 09:09 AM
An exact estimate?!?

It's exactly almost 100 dollars? How do exact estimates work?

\Just sayin...

You think your being exact. In reality it is an estimate. In other words, do the best you can.

We tell people it costs exactly $10.00 but in reality it costs more if you add the tax, gas to power your car, cost of your time, etc. We let the other guy factor in all of the other costs. So what does it really cost?

We know the CB returns at 89.x degrees but only if we hit the CB in the correct spot. We are exact in our knowledge but estimate the place to hit for some effect.

I'm Irish, we can rationalize anything.

Cue Guru
05-06-2009, 10:46 AM
I play golf to keep pool in perspective.

After you loose a couple dozen balls, break a few clubs, get hit by flying balls (and the occasional club) and get poison ivy, pool seems REALLY easy...:wink:

Neil
05-06-2009, 10:59 AM

tom mcgonagle
05-06-2009, 11:18 AM
I try to do the things that make it easier for me to concentrate. I used to take a nap in the daytime if I was going out to play later in the evening. It's amazing how rest helps your ability to concentrate. I've also laid off the "tine's as much as I can, nicotine, caffeine. They make me jumpy and I lose focus. Just some of my ideas on the subject. My game, depends totally on my ability to concentrate. Lately I've been very successful. Being retired and not involved in the, "Rat Race," is a beautiful thing.

A lot of my ideas about the game are in my book.

tommcgonaglerightoncue.com

Johnnyt
05-06-2009, 11:39 AM
I guess I'm lucky. I can get in the moment anytime I want, fully focus on the game, get in the zone, and have nothing else is in my head. But like JoeW says, I can only do it for just so long until my head hurts. My head really never hurts...I can't decribe the feeling I get after awhile of intense consenrtration...but it seems like I can't hold it longer that 10-15 minutes. I can't hold it that long if it's for something I don't enjoy. Johnnyt

TATE
05-06-2009, 12:43 PM
THANKS

I personally think that a state of concentration is a by product of everything that comes before it.

What comes before focus is patiently reviewing the table to decide your options, having a good plan , and having a solid pre-shot routine for executing the shots.

Nick Varner said it best and most positively "I never shoot without having a plan."

I have not mastered this yet myself. I know I am sloppy, but I think if I did show more patience in planning the table, I would be less inclined to rush to a costly stress-induced mistake.

Chris

Matt90
05-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Howard Ikeda, a very good road player told me to keep my eyes on the table and the balls even when my opponent is at the table because it helps keep your eyes focused on the object balls and that it helps keep you in stroke. It has led to better playing for me too.

JoeyA

Joey ,
We talked about this sunday and then the thread appears .....hmmm. What
I do is go to the frozen foods dept at the grocery store and get me some of
that frozen orange juice ........well it says its from "concentrate" :eek:
All kidding aside ,I had a great time however brief it was hanging out with
Joey at Buffalo's .If anyone needs a good coach or someone who can spot
something that may help them Joey's the man. Although we talked more than
we played a serious match or anything ,he pointed out two things to me that
when I got home and put into practice really made a world of differnece in
my game . OH and BTW I got a break and run last night in leauges and won
both matches by a landslide . Thanks Joey

dr9ball
05-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I am thankful that I only have to shoot one shot at a time. I can concentrate on that.

JoeyA
05-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Joey ,
We talked about this sunday and then the thread appears .....hmmm. What
I do is go to the frozen foods dept at the grocery store and get me some of
that frozen orange juice ........well it says its from "concentrate" :eek:
All kidding aside ,I had a great time however brief it was hanging out with
Joey at Buffalo's .If anyone needs a good coach or someone who can spot
something that may help them Joey's the man. Although we talked more than
we played a serious match or anything ,he pointed out two things to me that
when I got home and put into practice really made a world of differnece in
my game . OH and BTW I got a break and run last night in leauges and won
both matches by a landslide . Thanks Joey

Hey Matt!
It was nice to have you visit the infamous Buffalo Billiards in Metairie. I'm glad you had a good time and that you are concentrating better. I'll stop by the supermarket and get me a little concentrate too. :)

Matt is the ultimate traveling Live Streaming Man if any of you are looking for someone to live stream your big tournament. With his background, he could start a business of consulting and set up pool rooms around the country with their live streaming systems. (just a thought)

JoeyA

spoons
05-08-2009, 07:47 AM

Bert Kinister is the first one I heard say this-although he extended it to include the time between shots when you're walking around the table. He refers to it as stalking the balls, and as he demonstrates it, you can see him fall almost into a trance. I've since heard it a few places, but it still seems to be one of the most valuable pieces of advice I've ever heard. That makes sense to me, because when I'm in dead stroke, why would I look away from my work and give myself the chance to be distracted?

Plus, in addition to helping you concentrate, you can learn about your opponents' strengths and weaknesses, or you might learn something about the table. Maybe it rolls off by one pocket, maybe one of the rails is dead. Maybe the person you're playing can't kick more than 1 rail, or refuses to jump. Much better to figure that out by watching your opponent struggle than the other way around!!

DC8baller
05-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Bert Kinister is the first one I heard say this-although he extended it to include the time between shots when you're walking around the table. He refers to it as stalking the balls, and as he demonstrates it, you can see him fall almost into a trance. I've since heard it a few places, but it still seems to be one of the most valuable pieces of advice I've ever heard. That makes sense to me, because when I'm in dead stroke, why would I look away from my work and give myself the chance to be distracted?

Plus, in addition to helping you concentrate, you can learn about your opponents' strengths and weaknesses, or you might learn something about the table. Maybe it rolls off by one pocket, maybe one of the rails is dead. Maybe the person you're playing can't kick more than 1 rail, or refuses to jump. Much better to figure that out by watching your opponent struggle than the other way around!!

In reading these posts I agree with the above quote and have done this many times myself and it definitely keeps my focus where it needs to be. Whether I am at the table or watching my opponent, my eyes will be fixed on the game at hand. I also think that the ammount of focus that people have is directly related to the level of competitiveness and the desire to win. Quote that I seen on here recently was "put your heart into it, or get your a$$ out of it" I agree! Also, another quote I heard that applies was about a straight pool player talking about running a hundred and fifty balls. He said that he did not run a hundred and fifty balls but rather ran one ball, a hundred and fifty times. Basically focus on each shot individually! My last comment is that $$$ always improves my focus! Miss expensive shots because your heads not in it and I think that your head will get in it real quick!

bsmutz
05-08-2009, 10:08 AM
There are many ways to improve your concentration and a few have already been mentioned here. Here's what I've learned that may be of help. I don't think you can expect your mind to behave any differently while shooting pool than it does any other time when you are concentrating (or trying to concentrate) on anything, i.e. reading a book, working on something, listening to what someone is saying, etc. If you are in the habit of letting your mind wander, then it's going to wander when you need to concentrate. It probably took a few years to develop the habit and you've been perpetuating it for many more, so it's not going to change right away. The more effort you put into it, the faster you can see a change being made. Meditation is a good way to train your mind to concentrate on one thing and it has many beneficial side effects. Another method is to repeat a mantra or affirmation as you go about your daily activities. Whenever you see your thoughts starting to pull you away, refocus. It's not easy and may take years to master, but the pay off is enormous.
Some of us were lucky and had to learn to apply all of our focus and concentration on one thing when we were young. Most of us weren't or were able to concentrate enough to do something well enough while letting our mind go where it wanted at the same time. Master your mind and you will master your life. What we think about is what we get. Our thoughts create our reality to a much larger extent than most of us realize.

Tennesseejoe
05-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Concentration will not help until you develop an aiming system. If you develop a precise (as possible) aiming system, then you have something on which to concentrate.

Many great players have unorthodox strokes but are still able to hit the ball in the correct spot. It may help to find an instructor who teaches a good aiming system.

Ever wonder why playing on a bar box is easy after you have been playing on an 4X8, 4.5X9 or 5X10? It's because you are concentrating on making the ball, not because you are thinking about your stance, elbow, bridge, etc. I think it was Buddy Hall who said, "just make the ball".

JoeW
05-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Here is something that might be worth trying. Set a stop watch and see how long it takes you to find all occurrences of the number "4"
The length of time taken is one measure of concentration. Use a pencil to cross out each number.
You might need to download and delete spaces to have one large array.

Now smoke a cigarette and repeat. Does smoking affect your concentration?
Have a beer.
Play loud music.
If you use some method to train your concentration, use this chart to test yourself a week later.
A week later find all occurences of the number "5".

Random digits from http://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1418/index2.html have been repeated a few times for a large chart.

50134916495151094993505550804986497475565065501450 34505749025061494249464960501950095053496648915031 48955037506251704886503349825180507448924992501150 05495948724976499349325039496550344943493251165070 50115152499050474974510748694925502349025003509251 63493650205069491449434914494648604899513849595089 50475030503950024937499849574964512449094995505349 46499550594948504850415077505150045024488649175004 49584993506449875041498449914987511348824968496150 29503850225023501049884936502551104923502549755095 50515035496249424882509449624945489150145002503850 23517948524957503550515021503649275022498849105053 50
50884989504249484999502850374893500449724970503449 965008504950164954498949705014164953
50134916495151094993505550804986497475565065501450 34505749025061494249464960501950095053496648915031 48955037506251704886503349825180507448924992501150 05495948724976499349325039496550344943493251165070 50115152499050474974510748694925502349025003509251 63493650205069491449434914494648604899513849595089 50475030503950024937499849574964512449094995505349 46499550594948504850415077505150045024488649175004 49584993506449875041498449914987511348824968496150 29503850225023501049884936502551104923502549755095 50515035496249424882509449624945489150145002503850 23517948524957503550515021503649275022498849105053 50
50884989504249484999502850374893500449724970503449 96500850495016495449894970501416495350134916495151 09499350555080498649747556506550145034505749025061 49424946496050195009505349664891503148955037506251 70488650334982518050744892499250115005495948724976 49934932503949655034494349325116507050115152499050 47497451074869492550234902500350925163493650205069 49144943491449464860489951384959508950475030503950 02493749984957496451244909499550534946499550594948 50485041507750515004502448864917500449584993506449 87504149844991498751134882496849615029503850225023 50104988493650255110492350254975509550515035496249 42488250944962494548915014500250385023517948524957 50355051502150364927502249884910505350
50884989504249484999502850374893500449724970503449 965008504950164954498949705014164953

Frequency count for the digits
0 529
1 225
2 200
3 200
4 605
5 620
6 165
7 140
8 225
9 540

Double the chart and double the frequency count as needed.

grindz
05-08-2009, 01:05 PM

DON'T BLINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

td

j/k :wink:

MJR77
05-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Ummmm... Play sudoku... helps me focus lool