PDA

View Full Version : The Hippie Cowboy/ 1983

catpool9
05-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Well this story starts out in September of '83', me and my brother Calvin had heard that there was some small action over in Fort Smith,Arkansas so we headed out that way to see what was going on.

We got to Fort Smith and ran into a whole lot of small action, $5 $10 & $20 dollar 8 & 9-Ball which at that time wasn't so bad for a couple of hustlers running around LQQKing for a pool game.

It didn't take long until we met up with these two brothers, "Bill & Steve LeCue" who like us was just hustling around trying to make a dollar! God bless his soul, Steve , died some years ago, but his brother Bill is still going strong, and happen to call me last yr., thats one reason I wanted to share this story with all you guy's.

Well like I said we met up one night playing pool and the LeCue brothers said we like your style and may be able to Steer you around for some action, well we stayed at their house for about two weeks and "ran the bars/nightclubs", made some good scores, me mostly, cause it was Soft Action, and Calvin gave me the reins,......lol......we won about $3,000 just fooling around for two weeks and split the cash with the LeCue brothers, after all they steered us and let us stay at their house for two weeks.

I remember there was some good food around those bars/nightclubs, a lot of them gave it out free just to attract business, (pork ribs, steaks, & a good breakfast) kinda like those places in New Orleans, and Dallas would do.

One night while we were playing pool , Bill went to the bathroom to never return, we just thought he had hooked up with an "ole gal" and left, But he was passed out in the restroom( he liked to drink).....lol.......he called the owner about 4:00 A:M to come let him outta the club!..hehe

About a month later Calvin and I decided to go back to Fort Smith and make another score, well the first stop we went was the "Palace Inn", started out I was playing Biker Danny 9-ball a race to 5 for $100.00 , I'm $400.00 winner and Calvin was drawing high pill for $20.00 with a cross eyed guy, for real, but his cross eye didn't LQQK to the inside , it LQQKEd to the outside, and he would be LQQKing at you with one good eye and catching & LQQKing at the pill with the cross eye!......lol......

well any way Calvin was better at catching the pill than he was, Calvin won $520.00 from the guy!

Later than night we went to the 'Henry the Eight's" nightclub, we saw a challenge 8-Ball game going on for $20.00, a Hippie Cowboy had the table, he was beating everyone, Calvin challenged the table and it was On from there!

Calvin beat that hippie/cowboy for $20,$40,$100,$200, then $400.00 a game 8-ball for hours!..... all the while I was betting $50 and $100 on the side.....

the place closed at daylight, then we told him that the "Palace Inn" open up at 7:00 A:M, and off we went...got there and played about another hour, betting even higher amounts!............

we won over $14,000 ourselves, a few others won some too on the side!

well the Hippie/Cowboy had been paying off outta his boot, but finally quit!......he said I just want you to know that you didn't break me!.......he pulled off the other boot and turned it upside down and about $20,000 more fell out!.....hehe........

at that time!, there was three GOONES at the bar arguing over who was going to "rob me" and Calvin, ......Ok,... there was this big bartender about 6'4.....we told him here's $800.00 all you gotta do is keep those goones in here for 5 minutes until we get gone, he said don't worry, they won't go anywwhere!.......we took off........and I was glad to get gone!........

that was one of my better old stories that I remember being out on the road with my brother Country Calvin!

David Harcrow

TX Poolnut
05-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Probably the best 800 you ever spent. Great story!

Dead Money
05-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Great story as usual. Did you and Calvin ever make it down into the Austin TX area? If so I'd love to hear some stories about that.

catpool9
05-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Great story as usual. Did you and Calvin ever make it down into the Austin TX area? If so I'd love to hear some stories about that.

Oh yeah, been to Austin many times, got some good stories about Big John Sr.

David Harcrow

ShootingArts
05-04-2009, 05:21 PM
. . . there was three GOONES at the bar arguing over who was going to "rob me" and Calvin, ......Ok,... there was this big bartender about 6'4.....we told him here's $800.00 all you gotta do is keep those goones in here for 5 minutes until we get gone, he said don't worry, they won't go anywwhere!.......we took off........and I was glad to get gone!........

that was one of my better old stories that I remember being out on the road with my brother Country Calvin!

David Harcrow

Great story and I like the ending. Sometimes the hardest part is figuring out how to leave a place in one piece. When I worked alone I broke a lot of house cues. Tossed a twenty on the bar to cover the cue on my way out. Most folks got my point before they got the point. :D :D :D

Hu

catpool9
05-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Probably the best 800 you ever spent. Great story!

Todd glad you liked my story, yes 800 was expensive but at the time well worth it!

David Harcrow

alstl
05-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Did you ever play Louie?

jay helfert
05-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Did you ever play Louie?

Your brother did, didn't he?

catpool9
05-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Great story and I like the ending. Sometimes the hardest part is figuring out how to leave a place in one piece. When I worked alone I broke a lot of house cues. Tossed a twenty on the bar to cover the cue on my way out. Most folks got my point before they got the point. :D :D :D

Hu

Glad you liked the story Hu, yep sometimes one has to do unlikely things just to get out of a situation!

David Harcrow

catpool9
05-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Did you ever play Louie?

Noooooo not me!.......lol:eek:

David Harcrow

catpool9
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Your brother did, didn't he?

Yes Jay, Calvin played Louie after hours at a big tournament in Jackson,Tenn. back in '81' I believe is was.
Louie was giving Calvin the 7 ball playing 9-ball for $200.00 a rack, they played for several hours and broke even, which I thought was a great feat for Calvin just to break even.

Calvin and Louie became good friends after that, and Louie even stayed at Calvin's home one summer for a couple months, Louie and Calvin made many small wagers practiceing but nothing never serious again.

David Harcrow

Rack'em jay
05-08-2009, 03:31 AM
I love watching calvin play i sat for two hours last year at his old place in texarkana watching him play some young guys for $5 a game 8ball

it was so funny watching him play those guys they only got to shoot when he needed a ball busted out of a cluster and the guys would always try the shot and miss calvin would just step up and pocket a few more balls and then miss and leave nothing to shot at again. and they had no idea how good calvin was because he would not run more that about 3 or 4 balls at a time and then only to run out he has the best ball control.

catpool9
05-08-2009, 08:33 PM
I love watching calvin play i sat for two hours last year at his old place in texarkana watching him play some young guys for $5 a game 8ball

it was so funny watching him play those guys they only got to shoot when he needed a ball busted out of a cluster and the guys would always try the shot and miss calvin would just step up and pocket a few more balls and then miss and leave nothing to shot at again. and they had no idea how good calvin was because he would not run more that about 3 or 4 balls at a time and then only to run out he has the best ball control.

Your right Jay, Calvin can work that cue ball real good in 8-Ball, he always has been know for long ahead 'grind' sets in 9-Ball, but his best road game was always 8-ball.

David Harcrow