PDA

View Full Version : Talking while playing...what's your opinion?

inside_english
05-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't like a lot of chit-chat while shooting, whether its practice, fun or tourney, and DEFINITELY not when gambling.

Now, I have been known to shoot the breeze during my own games for fun, but that usually ends up with us stopping play altogether so the conversation can continue, if the conversation is good enough and the play was for fun to start. Or we'd stop, finish the convo and start playing again. I guess it depends on who I am playing. Sometimes I won't speak at all with certain people so as to discourage them from chit-chatting too much, because I know them and I know what would happen if I start up.

I have been told by some that they don't like playing me, even for fun, because I am "too serious". I guess they look at my face while I am shooting and think so, I dunno. I am just trying to concentrate.

There are social games, and then there are social games.

It doesn't totally bug me, because after the 2nd or 3rd comment the player realizes I am not going to offer much in the way of a reply and he shuts up.

What REALLY bothers me is when my opponent strikes up a conversation with a railbird and they talk away while I am trying to shoot! I have no problem asking them to stop, but I'll only do so in a tourney or when gambling. Not much action in my home room, so the gambling thing is not a problem.

Yeah, I'm rambling, just don't feel like sitting in traffic right now!)

So do you all like to talk and play or not?

Charlie Hustle
05-04-2009, 03:00 PM
For a guy that doesnt like chit chat, your sure do type alot. lol, just messing with you. I feel the same way as you do, especially for the cash

JXMIKE
05-04-2009, 03:01 PM
People say the same thing about me "why so serious" or "you never smile at the table are you even having fun"

if i didnt take the game serious and try to concentrate and improve my game i might as well be doing something else.

i dont mind bullshitting as long as its away from the table.

Drew
05-04-2009, 03:08 PM
I think you might be taking it a little overboard. During serious play, I understand completely. But while knocking balls around or even while practicing, chit-chat keeps the monotony from becoming too much to bear. There's a decent amount of conversation in every sport; pool shouldn't be any different. You should also consider it a training exercise. Learn to play with ambient noise (pool isn't golf). Can you imagine a MLB pitcher asking the crowd to quiet down because he needs to concentrate? Playing seriously and concentrating is one thing, but don't be a grumpy pool player.

TX Poolnut
05-04-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't care if you talk, yell, or jump in your seat.

I enjoy the game for what it is - a game.

If I feel that someone is trying to shark me, I just stop and let them finish. I won't shoot again until they are finished. No big deal. I don't mind waiting.

Sweet Marissa
05-04-2009, 03:35 PM
I usually don't say a word unless it's "nice shot". If I need to acknowledge a call or anything, I simply nod my head. And please don't speak to me until the match is over.

:)

Patrick53212
05-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Talk my ear off while I am shooting. Chances are I am not listening while I am shooting and I will simply say "Now what were you saying as it is your turn to shoot..." I tend to turn the table so to speak on this "sharking" tactic... I play in leagues where it is not uncommon for the "railbirds" to be talking shit about the match, your shot selections, etc while you are playing!!! Yesterday as I am getting down to shoot the 8-ball for a table run someone says, "Well, we will take two points". In this league, had the 8-ball touched the other player's object ball going into the pocket it would have been loss of game (2pts). The 8-ball was relatively close to the other players ball and I could only see about half the pocket. At any rate, I drilled the shot but you get my drift!

SpiderWebComm
05-04-2009, 03:53 PM
I typically never say a word because I'm just not a talkative guy when I'm playing. Honestly, if someone recites the encyclopedia britanica to me while I'm playing, it wouldn't faze me the slightest.

If I'm gambling or in a tournament and they're chatting in an obvious attempt to shark, I'll say something. Otherwise, I honestly never hear it.

When I'm in the zone, someone could say.... "Dave, here's the money I owe you... I'm setting the c-note on the table" and all I hear is "wa wa wawa wa wa wa....wa C-NOTE wa wa wawa" like Charlie Brown's teacher.

Sometimes, however, being in the zone gets me into trouble. One time, this girl I knew said, "Dave, one of these days we should take up ride up to the zoo. I just bought a new Cadillac because my legs have been killing me. I wanna see the cheetahs, they're such cute pussy cats!"

All I heard was, "Dave, take a ride up my legs and see my cute......"

senor
05-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Chit chat is annoying, especially between opponent and railbird, but I think we need to distinguish between chit chat and chirping. I am a huge supporter of chirping/needling, especially when done right. I will not instigate the mid-game chirping, but I will respond in kind. Professional chirpers include Ronnie Allen, Keither, Earl, Sigel, Rodney. Anyone that can't handle a little chirping or even turn it around on your opponent may need to find a new hobby.

daw8wang
05-04-2009, 04:25 PM
oh, love to talk...

but usually only after they've done something to piss me off though. dont usually do it against players i like and respect, because i wanna give them a good game.

pooltchr
05-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I usually don't say a word unless it's "nice shot". If I need to acknowledge a call or anything, I simply nod my head. And please don't speak to me until the match is over.

I'm with you. I will comment on a shot to an opponent, but I don't want to hear from someone sitting on the sidelines asking me questions, or talking about anything, including the game.
When I am competing, I want my mind to be on my match and nothing else. Talk to me when I finish my match.

Steve

JasonCrugar
05-04-2009, 05:54 PM

If I feel that someone is trying to shark me, I just stop and let them finish. I won't shoot again until they are finished. No big deal. I don't mind waiting.

thats what im sayin. i dont care if you want to set off fireworks next to me. i mean if my opponent chooses to be quiet and sit there like someone killed his puppy that's fine. i will not. i have fun in whatever i do. talking chit playing around its all good as long as its in good spirits. this goes for money games, practice,tournys, banging balls, or whatever. if you want absolute quiet and inner peace and stuff, GO TO CHURCH OR YOGA or something and get the f outta the pool room fools

Jason Robichaud
05-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Phones while playing drives me nuts! Talking isn't bad unless it is about my shooting.

I joke a lot while playing though... Ie. "Take that!" when I miss a hook and leave an easy shot or "Hook'em!" when my CB is looking like I will be hooked. I will toss in the: I suck, hit it with my purse, I sit to pee....

I also say, can't buy that for a dollar, when I make a good shot like a bank kick while hooked.

poolplayer2093
05-04-2009, 06:16 PM
i always talk to who ever i'm playing. usually right as they pull the trigger.

catpool9
05-04-2009, 06:18 PM
The best and only way to shut everyone up is to play run out pool!

Seriously, when I'm playing pool everyone is in a coma, so I here no chit-chat!;)

David Harcrow

JasonCrugar
05-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Phones while playing drives me nuts! Talking isn't bad unless it is about my shooting.

I joke a lot while playing though... Ie. "Take that!" when I miss a hook and leave an easy shot or "Hook'em!" when my CB is looking like I will be hooked. I will toss in the: I suck, hit it with my purse, I sit to pee....

I also say, can't buy that for a dollar, when I make a good shot like a bank kick while hooked.

i do have an issue with texting while playing a match. i would rather have my hands shut in a car door than watch someone myspace their g/f from their phones.

chin0
05-04-2009, 06:27 PM
During serious play, I would appreciate the other people to keep it quiet. But at a tourney like at Shooters in Olathe, it is hard to have the entire room quiet when there are close to 100 people there. I love to chit-chat with my friends while we just practice or bang balls around. I usually stop talking when I am taking a shot and ignore them and just ask them what they say after I am done taking the shot. I use it as practice to get use to noise while I play in places that are not so quiet. I think you can gain from it, regardless of you like it or not. I understand we need total concentration while making a shot, but I keep it fun and light hearted while I shoot with my brother or my friends. Unless I am practicing by myself, than I don't talk to anyone. I put in my headphones and shoot away. I think some of the best conversations I have had in the past was around the pool table. Have fun buddy!

Chino

chilli66
05-04-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm lucky enough to be able to switch off all ambient sounds while I play, unless I hear something seriously funny! Doesn't happen too often but when it does you just gotta enjoy it!

PoolBum
05-04-2009, 08:24 PM
During serious play, I understand completely. But while knocking balls around or even while practicing, chit-chat keeps the monotony from becoming too much to bear.

That's just it, I enjoy the game itself. It's not monotonous. In fact, chatter takes away from my enjoyment of the game.

Paul Dayton
05-04-2009, 08:38 PM
When I am shooting in a match, I don't let my opponent hear my voice unless it is as a part of the game such as good shot and that is what I expect from them. Cell phones should be forfeit of game.

JoeyA
05-04-2009, 09:33 PM

When someone makes a nice shot, I like to tap the rubber bumper of my cue on the floor making a slight motion with very little sound. I find it to be a bit more courteous and less distracting than talking while they are still at the table.

Most of the time I just act like a mime even if they make an Efren Z shot. :D

JoeyA

houmatroy
05-04-2009, 09:42 PM
When someone makes a nice shot, I like to tap the rubber bumper of my cue on the floor making a slight motion with very little sound. I find it to be a bit more courteous and less distracting than talking while they are still at the table.

JoeyA

Your point doesn't count since most of the time you control the table & are running out..lol:thumbup:

jensen_lover
05-04-2009, 09:56 PM
I love to talk when I play. I usually play with my friends so we like to chit-chat and catch up. If we are gambling with someone else of course we will keep our mouths shut. We stop talking when we shoot to try and not distract each other too much. It is just a game to most people. But football is also just a game and look how seriously most people take that. Kids my age look at me when I play by myself because they do not understand why I practice straight in shots or odd banks. I do it completely quitely and when I miss shots I should not I sigh or tap the table and they look at me like I am nuts for not having another player and because they do not understand how I can run two balls in a row.

tom mcgonagle
05-04-2009, 10:09 PM
If I wanted to talk to you while I'm playing I wouldn't be wearing an I-Pod. Talking during a tournament or a money match should be against the rules unless it has something to do with the match' For your opponent to strike up a conversation with somebody else while your playing, is bogus. The person shooting has the right to play without listening to distractions. The game is hard enough. You shouldn't have to put up with any nonsense. If my opponent is at the table an he wants to talk. I could care less. It's his turn at the table.

nasc
05-04-2009, 10:33 PM
If I wanted to talk to you while I'm playing I wouldn't be wearing an I-Pod. Talking during a tournament or a money match should be against the rules unless it has something to do with the match' For your opponent to strike up a conversation with somebody else while your playing, is bogus. The person shooting has the right to play without listening to distractions. The game is hard enough. You shouldn't have to put up with any nonsense. If my opponent is at the table an he wants to talk. I could care less. It's his turn at the table.

Tom,
I have seen you play in Merrimack Nh, Methuen, Worchester, New Bedford , Chelmsford Ma. and other places "in the old days". You have always shown the ability to tune all distractions out and just consentrate on just making balls. Whats up with the I-Pod >

Glen

CreeDo
05-04-2009, 10:34 PM
I prefer no talking. Plenty of time to socialize while you're racking.

Occasionally I can tune it out if they're just rambling and I really don't give a crap. I hate when they ask questions or tell jokes or anything that people normally expect a reaction from, because I don't react, I just shoot.

I have gotten into some mild confrontations over other people talking to each other while I'm shooting. It probably has gotten me a rep as a whiner who makes excuses for his missed shots, but I don't mind. They can think I'm a whiner as long as they shut up and keep their opinion to themselves.

If I miss a ball that I know I normally make 99 out of 100 times, anyone with their mouth open is gonna hear about it.

chin0
05-04-2009, 10:39 PM
Tom,
I have seen you play in Merrimack Nh, Methuen, Worchester, New Bedford , Chelmsford Ma. and other places "in the old days". You have always shown the ability to tune all distractions out and just consentrate on just making balls. Whats up with the I-Pod >

Glen

We all gotta stay groovy sometimes right? :D

tom mcgonagle
05-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Hey Nasc,

The I-pod, is a way to listen to the music I prefer to listen to. I love listening to music while I'm playing but not the music of this generation. It helps me slip back to the past and think young thoughts. I enjoy it very much. I have also found the older I get the tougher it is to hold my concentration. I also have a saying about listening to things I don't need to hear. "If you're listening to a dope you'll start playing like a dope>"

Eruditass
05-04-2009, 11:23 PM
i can't believe i have never tried that

Da Bank
05-04-2009, 11:42 PM
this is something i struggled with today.

I'm a pretty quiet guy and definitely prefer to not have conversations while i'm playing a match. When a guy is yapping in your ear the whole time, even if it is well intentioned, how do you get them to shut up without being a jerk about it or coming across as a disinterested asshole?

I know I should not allow yappers to get to me, but sometimes I do. I guess if I have to ask them to stop talking, I'm already past the point where their talking has affected my game and focus.

I just had a little shithead drunk country bumpkin banger talking after every time he missed a shot and walking around the table. He was sharking, but there is no reason I should lose to this caliber player no matter what their sharking techniques are. I do, however, draw the line when someone speaks or tries to distract me while i'm down and about to take a stroke... it's the in between times that I have trouble dealing with.

Da Bank
05-04-2009, 11:46 PM

this is a good idea, i'm going to try it.

If someone starts talking when I'm analyzing the table, I'll just stop in my tracks, look them in the eye, not say a thing and wait for them to stop talking. If they continue, I will ask them if they want to continue playing or have a conversation. kill them with kindness, as it were

Drew
05-04-2009, 11:48 PM
That's just it, I enjoy the game itself. It's not monotonous. In fact, chatter takes away from my enjoyment of the game.

Hmm..we play for different reasons. I enjoy the challenge. Bring on the chatter and I'll conquer that too!!

Da Bank
05-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Hmm..we play for different reasons. I enjoy the challenge. Bring on the chatter and I'll conquer that too!!

i don't think it has anything to do with for what "reason" you play pool. Most of us play pool because we enjoy it, that's reason enough.

It's not about conquering sharking either... when the pros play in real tournaments there is a level of respect and etiquette that generally takes place, and if people were to act like most people do while playing in a pro level tournament they would be banned! In pool's purest form, you shouldn't have to deal with distractions like that as it does take away from performance in the end.

My buddy suggested a good way to deal with these type of distractions. He said that he used to play a cheap ring game where your opponents were allowed and encouraged to shark you intentionally. There was no approaching the table or waving your hands to distract the opponent in their line of sight.. but anything was allowed to be said.

I think that I'm gonna try this out.

JesPiddlin
05-05-2009, 01:33 AM

That's the way I feel. It's just a game... enjoy it!

When I played league games, I could get super-focused and didn't hear anything anyone else said or did, when it was my turn to shoot. If it sounded like something I needed to hear, my hearing usually came back, but otherwise, I didn't hear. When my turn was over, all the sounds in the room returned.

But, games for fun should be games for fun. That means a little chit chat makes the time go easier and more enjoyably. I am real bad to reply when I shoot, though. If I could get that one little habit overcome, I'd be famous. ;)

14-1StraightMan
05-05-2009, 02:20 AM
I don't like a lot of chit-chat while shooting, whether its practice, fun or tourney, and DEFINITELY not when gambling.

Now, I have been known to shoot the breeze during my own games for fun, but that usually ends up with us stopping play altogether so the conversation can continue, if the conversation is good enough and the play was for fun to start. Or we'd stop, finish the convo and start playing again. I guess it depends on who I am playing. Sometimes I won't speak at all with certain people so as to discourage them from chit-chatting too much, because I know them and I know what would happen if I start up.

I have been told by some that they don't like playing me, even for fun, because I am "too serious". I guess they look at my face while I am shooting and think so, I dunno. I am just trying to concentrate.

There are social games, and then there are social games.

It doesn't totally bug me, because after the 2nd or 3rd comment the player realizes I am not going to offer much in the way of a reply and he shuts up.

What REALLY bothers me is when my opponent strikes up a conversation with a railbird and they talk away while I am trying to shoot! I have no problem asking them to stop, but I'll only do so in a tourney or when gambling. Not much action in my home room, so the gambling thing is not a problem.

Yeah, I'm rambling, just don't feel like sitting in traffic right now!)

So do you all like to talk and play or not?

There is a guy here in the Dallas A/Master League that runs his mouth 24 hours a day (all the players know who is) and it seems like he runs it against me the most when I am down shooting. Last week my Team was playing another Team during the league match and my table was two tables over from where his Team was playing. I was down getting ready to take my shot when I heard my last name coming from his mouth as loud as you can get. It all comes down to (Jealous feeling towards other players & themselves). This talking does not trouble me at all. When I play his Team, I can stand up from my shooting stand, laugh in his face and get back down & beat him or his Teammates. After all we are playing in a sports bar with all kinds of talking, people suddenly walking inbetween tables, sometimes the worst vuglar words in the world coming from so call music that jerks pay money to listen to. I just can't believe it.... I hate to hear a guy say "I missed that shot b/c someone moved their leg 15' away from the table. Come on, we are in a bar. As for the people that run their mouth or do other things to try to win and I seen it all over the years. Those people hate themselves in their own life.

Sam Waltz
05-05-2009, 07:22 AM
A couple nights ago I got matched up with an acquaintance of mine playin' some $20 one pocket games. I wasn't very focused and he won the first 4 games in no time at all. During that little run a mutual acquaintance decided to come over and interject his "knowledge", AKA his mouth, into our game and I was finding it very distracting. My opponent, also a very talkative individual, joined in the chit chat craziness and proceded to shoot his mouth off with the railbird everytime he wasn't hitting a ball. Oh well...

I bellied up to the ol' bar and ordered myself a glass of happiness and then returned to our match. Pulled out the earbuds and "plugged-in" my happy music...then proceded to beat his brains in the next four games. LOL

It was obvious that I hadn't appreciated his antics or his little "cheerleader" so when we hit even he made the following comment, "Hey Sam, I know you don't like my antics and my talking, so we can quit now if you don't wanna deal with it." My response, "Matt, your dancing around, beggin' for rolls and shootin' your mouth off just isn't gonna cut it anymore buddy. From now on I'm just gonna laugh at ya while your actin' a fool instead of gettin' mad about it. If you wanna quit, that's fine, or you can go ahead and keep playin', but either way...you can't win." He comes back with, "So you don't mind if I keep beggin' then?" LOL That was classic! He kept playin' thankfully and a little while later he handed me a C-note and departed my playground. :grin-square:

It's was nice to finally accept the problem as my own and find a way to overcome it 'cause God knows you can never control what somebody else is going to do. My suggestion...you can't change 'em so find your own way to conquer in the face of adversity! :thumbup:

Shoot well my AZ brethren and may the "focus" be with you! :grin:

Big Perm
05-05-2009, 07:41 AM
If it's practice or just playing around, especially when I play a good friend, I like to chat.....it makes the game more fun for me.....during tourney or cash matches, typically I try to keep things more professional and limit conversation....both for myself and out of respect for the other player...

ftgokie
05-05-2009, 07:57 AM
I like to have 10-15 people around me that are motor mouths.....I am always talking and joking around and interacting with the crowd...I enjoy entertaining the crowd....man, you just cant get me to shut up....yappity yap yappity yap...I go on and on and on and on......it never stops.....

If your not good enough to play me while I talk, you DEFINATELY dont want me to put on my Serious Face.........Dont say I didnt warn Ya!:thumbup:

ftgokie
05-05-2009, 07:59 AM
And when I start singing some Bee Gees and dancing.....You BETTER watch out cause the pain is coming! Thats when I usually just run rack after rack.....Its like a Migraine isnt is:thumbup:

Quesports
05-05-2009, 08:03 AM
If it's practice or just playing around, especially when I play a good friend, I like to chat.....it makes the game more fun for me.....during tourney or cash matches, typically I try to keep things more professional and limit conversation....both for myself and out of respect for the other player...

This is exactly how I like to play pool. Really it boils down to the seriousness of the game you are playing. Gambling, tournament or leagues matches require a different approach to the game and also require a different attitude than does having some social time at the table with some friends. Treat others as you expect to be treated yourself and always show respect is my approach..

fastwoltz
05-05-2009, 08:18 AM
i always talk to who ever i'm playing. usually right as they pull the trigger.

shut up and play the GAME

itsme74
05-05-2009, 10:29 AM

Ask yourself this, the people that tell you that you are too serious...is there game better than yours or worse?

I get the same thing but mostly from people who don't play as well as I do or who are trying to throw my game off as I play. The more serious you are about your game the better your game will be.

snipershot
05-05-2009, 11:53 AM
If you are playing with me, you had better be prepared to laugh and talk quite a bit, lol. I have no problem talking or being talked to while playing. I will talk until I get down on the shot, then I muster up some focus, shoot, and proceed with the conversation/dirty jokes! I know it makes me miss sometimes, but I am out to have fun. I dont gamble or play in tourneys so there is no money on the line for me. I can see the point that talking might be considered sharking, but I have never intended to shark anyone with my talking/joking. Maybe Im doing this all wrong, but I thought it was supposed to be fun? I will talk a little less when Im playing someone better than me, but Im not gonna be super focused and serious against lower level players. How fun is it to not talk, beat the sh*t out of your lower level friends, and not have a laugh? not for me, but I see where you guys and gals are coming from.

Joe

pwd72s
05-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Watching the monthly 9 ball tourney at my favorite hall, I noticed one thing about the guy considered top dog there. If his opponent was a chatty type, he'd chat right along. If his opponent was serious & silent, he'd do the same. Either way, his excellent game never changed...controlling the table at his pace, not too slow, not too fast, shots well thought out.

That's what I'd call a learned talent...:)

WoodyJ
05-05-2009, 02:02 PM
In competition (league, tournaments, money game) I double dog agree with the following two quotes. I don't talk in order to turn off the speech center in the left side of my brain, maintain focus and keep an adreneline rush going through out the match:

I usually don't say a word unless it's "nice shot". If I need to acknowledge a call or anything, I simply nod my head. And please don't speak to me until the match is over. If my opponent wants to talk great I just consider that a weakness of theirs to exploit and they can distract themselves all they want:

As for non-competition games (shooting with a friend on a home table or for a challenge table in a bar), I still don't talk much while shooting but will chit chat to be sociable. The difference being that I don't get the adreneline rush, loose focus and don't shoot as well when the pressure is on to make a shot. I resign myself to that, play a looser game and expect to make a lot more unforced errors than ususal.

inside_english
05-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I think you might be taking it a little overboard. During serious play, I understand completely. But while knocking balls around or even while practicing, chit-chat keeps the monotony from becoming too much to bear. There's a decent amount of conversation in every sport; pool shouldn't be any different. You should also consider it a training exercise. Learn to play with ambient noise (pool isn't golf). Can you imagine a MLB pitcher asking the crowd to quiet down because he needs to concentrate? Playing seriously and concentrating is one thing, but don't be a grumpy pool player.
"Grumpy pool player" does not describe me at all...:)

inside_english
05-05-2009, 03:14 PM
I typically never say a word because I'm just not a talkative guy when I'm playing. Honestly, if someone recites the encyclopedia britanica to me while I'm playing, it wouldn't faze me the slightest.

If I'm gambling or in a tournament and they're chatting in an obvious attempt to shark, I'll say something. Otherwise, I honestly never hear it.

When I'm in the zone, someone could say.... "Dave, here's the money I owe you... I'm setting the c-note on the table" and all I hear is "wa wa wawa wa wa wa....wa C-NOTE wa wa wawa" like Charlie Brown's teacher.

Sometimes, however, being in the zone gets me into trouble. One time, this girl I knew said, "Dave, one of these days we should take up ride up to the zoo. I just bought a new Cadillac because my legs have been killing me. I wanna see the cheetahs, they're such cute pussy cats!"

All I heard was, "Dave, take a ride up my legs and see my cute......"

Excellent...:)

inside_english
05-05-2009, 03:15 PM
thats what im sayin. i dont care if you want to set off fireworks next to me. i mean if my opponent chooses to be quiet and sit there like someone killed his puppy that's fine. i will not. i have fun in whatever i do. talking chit playing around its all good as long as its in good spirits. this goes for money games, practice,tournys, banging balls, or whatever. if you want absolute quiet and inner peace and stuff, GO TO CHURCH OR YOGA or something and get the f outta the pool room fools
That was harsh, and unnecessary.

inside_english
05-05-2009, 03:19 PM

JoeyA
Actually, the acting like a mime during the great shot is a bit of a move.

It says that you're either unwilling to acknowledge their great shot, or their great shot did not impress you, both of which messes with their heads.

Of course, you were quiet and did not distract them in any way, so all you have to say is that you were being polite and did not want to shark them, but the damage has been done...:)

I used to play a guy who got upset when I did not say "nice shot". Unfortunately, most of his nice shots were routine shots for most above-average players.

inside_english
05-05-2009, 03:25 PM
A couple nights ago I got matched up with an acquaintance of mine playin' some $20 one pocket games. I wasn't very focused and he won the first 4 games in no time at all. During that little run a mutual acquaintance decided to come over and interject his "knowledge", AKA his mouth, into our game and I was finding it very distracting. My opponent, also a very talkative individual, joined in the chit chat craziness and proceded to shoot his mouth off with the railbird everytime he wasn't hitting a ball. Oh well...

I bellied up to the ol' bar and ordered myself a glass of happiness and then returned to our match. Pulled out the earbuds and "plugged-in" my happy music...then proceded to beat his brains in the next four games. LOL

It was obvious that I hadn't appreciated his antics or his little "cheerleader" so when we hit even he made the following comment, "Hey Sam, I know you don't like my antics and my talking, so we can quit now if you don't wanna deal with it." My response, "Matt, your dancing around, beggin' for rolls and shootin' your mouth off just isn't gonna cut it anymore buddy. From now on I'm just gonna laugh at ya while your actin' a fool instead of gettin' mad about it. If you wanna quit, that's fine, or you can go ahead and keep playin', but either way...you can't win." He comes back with, "So you don't mind if I keep beggin' then?" LOL That was classic! He kept playin' thankfully and a little while later he handed me a C-note and departed my playground. :grin-square:

It's was nice to finally accept the problem as my own and find a way to overcome it 'cause God knows you can never control what somebody else is going to do. My suggestion...you can't change 'em so find your own way to conquer in the face of adversity! :thumbup:

Shoot well my AZ brethren and may the "focus" be with you! :grin:
Nice post.

inside_english
05-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Ask yourself this, the people that tell you that you are too serious...is there game better than yours or worse?

I get the same thing but mostly from people who don't play as well as I do or who are trying to throw my game off as I play. The more serious you are about your game the better your game will be.
It's usually people who are a little worse than I.

inside_english
05-05-2009, 03:29 PM
If you are playing with me, you had better be prepared to laugh and talk quite a bit, lol. I have no problem talking or being talked to while playing. I will talk until I get down on the shot, then I muster up some focus, shoot, and proceed with the conversation/dirty jokes! I know it makes me miss sometimes, but I am out to have fun. I dont gamble or play in tourneys so there is no money on the line for me. I can see the point that talking might be considered sharking, but I have never intended to shark anyone with my talking/joking. Maybe Im doing this all wrong, but I thought it was supposed to be fun? I will talk a little less when Im playing someone better than me, but Im not gonna be super focused and serious against lower level players. How fun is it to not talk, beat the sh*t out of your lower level friends, and not have a laugh? not for me, but I see where you guys and gals are coming from.

Joe
I guess "fun" can be interpreted differently for some.

I can have fun shooting the breeze, cracking jokes or whatever, and I can also have fun running out or just playing great. I can't have fun doing both...I just hope my opp can tell when it is time for chit-chat and when it isn't.

I refuse to play in bars. I am lucky to have a choice so I don't have to deal with the element of drunkeness.

SupaFoo
05-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I haaaaaaaaaaate talkers in any form of serious play. Casual play, I love to chat, but I really don't want to hear about my play while I'm shooting. There's a total n00b I know that refuses to shut his mouth for any reason. If I'm playing a pro then they can talk my ear off, on the right day I might even tolerate it from an equal, but I really REALLY don't need to hear it from someone who has less experience and skill than me.

The worst part is, I'm always studying these days, so I can't silence the chatter with runouts anymore =(. God how I am going to RELISH table time this summer...

grindz
05-05-2009, 05:00 PM
IMO talking while your opponent is shooting, unless they are in the conversation with you, is nothing but a shark move.

td

JoeyA
05-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Actually, the acting like a mime during the great shot is a bit of a move.

It says that you're either unwilling to acknowledge their great shot, or their great shot did not impress you, both of which messes with their heads.

WHATTTTTTTT?

JoeyA (gives the kudos when balls are being put away and the brewskies or beverage of your choice are being hoisted after the match).

3kushn
05-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Yes chit chat ruins the chance to seriously compete whether for money or honor. At those times I just chalk it up on the "had a fun conversation" side of my profit loss statement"

14-1StraightMan
05-05-2009, 08:54 PM
IMO talking while your opponent is shooting, unless they are in the conversation with you, is nothing but a shark move.

td

100% Correct.

thefonz
05-05-2009, 08:56 PM
i hope everyone doesn't think that the only reason professional players are "miked" is so joe public can hear them say "eight in the side....." Johnny Archer plays like a robot but even he talks to himself while he plays..... personally i like hearing banter even as a spectator.

i guess i'm a pretty relaxed player at the table, i like talking to myself or others while i'm playing. never though to an opponent while he's shooting, unless of course he instigates it. I used to be one of those serious guys at the table, never saying one word, and it used to always rattle me when guys would talk......i couldn't get over it, when one day i realized that if i instigate the conversations, the talking wouldn't bother me at all. now i'm like YAPYAPYAP when i'm shooting. my favorite is imitating bert kinister when i'm playing.....no offence to bert.....;)

JoseV
05-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Im not really the talking while playing type but if i get a talker i break out my ipod.

Rob_jerrylee
05-05-2009, 11:39 PM
I played a guy last night in League that would not shut his mouth when I was at the table and I completely ingored him and he asked me way I did so after the match and I told him I take every game seriously and Looked at me like " OH " . He lost and I wonder why ???. ;)

But if I'm shooting at home or some where else It's the same way .

JesPiddlin
05-06-2009, 12:57 AM

td

Sometimes, it's pure ignorance, not a shark move. BUT, I do believe that it's okay to talk UNTIL someone with a cue bends over to make a shot, as long as it's okay with both parties. I'll joke a little with my opponent, but I'm usually pretty serious about league or tournament games. If I'm just playing pool, I've probably got my mouth open. :)

inside_english
05-06-2009, 03:27 PM
WHATTTTTTTT?

JoeyA (gives the kudos when balls are being put away and the brewskies or beverage of your choice are being hoisted after the match).
I guess you did not understand me, huh?

Imagine making a great shot. Usually the opp will say "nice shot" or something. But if they say nothing at all...you might think either:

a) the great shot did not faze them
b) they purposely refuse to acknowledge the shot, which might mean they are trying to mess with you.

I might be over-analyzing...but I am an analyst so I can't help it...:)

Drew
05-06-2009, 03:42 PM

Imagine making a great shot. Usually the opp will say "nice shot" or something. But if they say nothing at all...you might think either:

b) they purposely refuse to acknowledge the shot, which might mean they are trying to mess with you.

Whoa....do you really think like that when you're at the table?? Sounds like it's really easy to get in your head.

CreeDo
05-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Yeah I gotta disagree on that one. If I make a great shot and they fail to acknowledge it, you know what's happening?

It's not a move and it's not that your super duper shot is something they make in their sleep. What happened is they were already a little peeved about letting you back to the table... maybe they're slightly pissed from their last missed shot. Then they see you with an ugly situation and they get their hopes up. They feel like they might get away with their last error and will soon be back at the table. But then you drill it in anyway and they're even more pissed because they just got robbed by someone who put in a low percentage shot. They're supposed to win this rack and they're about to lose it. That's what they're thinking when they're sitting there silently.

The question about how to ask someone to keep quiet is a good one. There really are people who are genuinely nice and chatty. They aren't putting a move on anyone, they just don't take it seriously enough to understand. It's hard to find the right wording to get them to hush up and some of them are going to be an ass about it no matter what.

When I am with a person like that I say it sorta like "oop, hold on a sec... lemme just make this shot". If they keep chatting I'll just say something like "I'll chat with you in a sec, but first... I gotta run this out." ...third strike would just be me looking at them and saying "Dude."

DelaWho???
05-07-2009, 04:38 AM

Delaware doesn't have a big pool scene. The APA is the only league around (TAP up north) Even the state tourney's are APA based handicapped tourneys...:sorry:

I was playing this guy at the "state" 8 ball tourney and this guy was "great shot" ...... "nice shot" ..... "that was terrific" etc after nearly every shot. The most mundane event at the table prompted gushing praise. Super Annoying.....

If I comment at all about your game it will be while I am racking after you have run out, and then it will be something like "that 5 ball shot was the key" or something to that effect.

I can chat it up with the best of them but I cannot talk and shoot at the same time. I don't chew gum for a similar reason.......:D

I also have to tell you that you motivated me to learn to use my jump cue, after the Md state tourney. Took me about 45 minutes to get it. Hopefully by next yr it will be fully integrated into my arsenal.
You jump them pretty sporty and after watching you jump out of a couple situations and finish the rack, I had to figure that shit out.

I was so jazzed to be able to do it I got Vinnie over to the table to show him, and he mastered it in about 4 tries...

Thanks for the inspiration

:thumbup:

enlightphoto
05-07-2009, 09:36 AM

Extremely well said.

I find I tend to be more of a relaxed player, and don't mind music and crowds, save some 'cat-killing' karaoke. But I grew up playing golf and fishing with my dad, so I learned to also appreciate and respect the times when "quiet is called for." Just imagine some yuphead blathering away on the sidelines of the 18th hole in a PGA tourney; how fast would all the cameras turn if the pro looked up from his shot with displeasure and disgust?

When just out shooting, I tend to play how my opp wants to play, casual with talking, or quiet and serious; either is fine and I take my lead from them. During most of my league matches, my talking is limited to "nice shot", "safe", and "are those frozen?" As for someone else yapping, I just tune it out. Pure attempts at sharking, then they don't even get a second or third chance. It's an immediate stop, stare, and "do you mind...?"

Brozif
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
When I started playing pool, only the real good players gambled, and apart from the jukebox playing, there was no noise around the table.

Once I got to the level that I thought I was good enough to start gambling, I got into a match with one of the better players in Council Bluffs, IA. I remember in one of the games, he made a very difficult shot, and I said "good shot". He looked at me, but it wasn't in acknowledgement of what I said. I thought it was weird that he didn't say thank you or anything, but I let it go, and continued to watch him play. A few games later, the situation happened again. I told him "good shot" and this time he came up to me, and sternly said that while he was at the table I was not to say anything. That I should just sit there and not say a word. Well being new to the gambling thing, I didn't say anything, but inside I was furious that this guy was such a pr!ck about me giving him a compliment. After the match was over, I paid him his money and he asked me if I wanted to play again. I said "NO WAY". He then apologized for his reaction and explained to me why he did what he did. I told him that if that's the way he likes it, he should have said something before the match even started so that it would have never happened.

Anyways, now I don't say a word when I'm playing in any type of serious match. If you make a good shot, I will tap the rubber piece of my cue on the floor a couple of times. If you play a nice safety, I will tap the table with my hand when I get up to it to acknowledge the good shot. If I make a lucky shot, I raise my hand as a sign of remorse for YOUR bad luck. These things I do are not always seen by my opponents, but I do them out of respect for my opponent and the game.

We all have to remember that even if we're practicing or playing on a table for fun, and we're chit-chatting and having a good time; we still have to be mindful of the tables around us, as they may be being used for a more serious nature. It all comes down to common sense and respect.

I'm not preaching, this is just my opinion.

D3FTW
05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
There is a local bar here in town that I play at for fun while waiting for the next round of mens monday night league. You can pretty much find all the action you want in there most nights.

There is this one guy who is a really good player. Correction: extremely good player. The only problem for me when it comes to playing him is right after he misses a shot or I leave him bad where he can't hit his ball.

It never fails I will take my ball in hand or line up for my next shot (usually have two or less to make) and as he is walking off someone there will say "Man I can't believe you missed that shot". His reply is said just loud enough for me to hear. "Its just Dawson". It throttles me!! :mad: Then I blow it. I really don't know why? Maybe I should just stop walk around the table and get a drink of my beer.

I enjoy a friendly game of pool just as much as the next guy. But I can't stand jack azz comments at the end of a game, or really anytime during the game. I guess it really just something no matter where you go (unless your playing in a major tournament) that your going to have to put up with.

My 2 cents. Flame suit on :)