PDA

View Full Version : Rip-lee roy long

instroke75
05-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Lee Roy Long passed away 5/2/2009 from congestive heart failure. He owned Family Billiards in Winter Haven,FL(he was originally from Lawrenceburg,Tennessee).

Lee Roy was a great guy, his countryboy charm would make anyone feel at home, his personality was like a magnet! And he could play some pool! He beat many a champion that strolled into his poolroom, including a young Johnny Archer who he beat about 20 games ahead back in 93. Jeremy Jones used to stop in regular to do battle when he would visit his granparents, who live in the area!

He was an old school gambler, if you came looking for action in his room, you had your hands full! He could play pool with the best of them, play cards like a champ, and would put your bankroll to the test in anything, if you were to make the mistake of calling him out! He always had a knot in his pocket so big that he could barely get it out! Once there were two road players who were complaining about the lack of action, so he asked them how much $$ they had between them, and made them flip a coin for all of it! After beating them, and sending them out broke, he looks at everyone and says" I guess they found some action!".

Lee Roy's presence was the best thing about him! He was a second father to many of us. He offered guidance about life and anything you needed to know, not to mention teaching many people to play pool. But more than anything he was a great friend, he would give the shirt off his back to help anyone!

We will miss you Lee Roy!

Jeremy

jay helfert
05-05-2009, 10:12 AM
A good man sent off to soon. Sorry to hear about Lee Roy's passing.

Roger Long
05-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks for posting this, Jeremy. I used to own Cue Port Billiards in Lakeland. I remember Lee Roy and his brother Robert very well. I played in their place; they played in mine. I'm very sorry to hear this about an old friend.

Roger

instroke75
05-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for posting this, Jeremy. I used to own Cue Port Billiards in Lakeland. I remember Lee Roy and his brother Robert very well. I played in their place; they played in mine. I'm very sorry to hear this about an old friend.

Roger

You know I saw your name on here, and wondered were you the ower of Cue Port! I started playing at Wallys right before you closed, so i know alot of your former customers. Hope things are going good for you, I met you once or twice when I worked at Wallys.

Jeremy

JIMMY L
05-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Our condolences go out to Lee Roy’s Family & Friends

gregoryg
05-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Very sorry to hear of another pool player's final exit. Hoping for the family to get through these trying times.

Cuebuddy
05-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Sorry for the loss of you friend. Thats a great story and he was lucky to have a friend like you to tell it.