PDA

View Full Version : Pool Wars, by Jay Helfert

Sweet Marissa
05-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Jay Helfert has a way with storytelling that makes the reader feel like they're a railbird, watching in on the actual action. And what incredible action it is! This is a must-read for any pool player, gambler, and rounder!

jay helfert
05-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Jay Helfert has a way with storytelling that makes the reader feel like they're a railbird, watching in on the actual action. And what incredible action it is! This is a must-read for any pool player, gambler, and rounder!

Thanks MOM! :)
Did you know that I've known Paul Baker for over 40 years. We first met at Mergards in Cincy. Ask him if he remembers.

T-dog
05-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Baker lives in Des moines now. I see him twice a week. He is still at it grinding away at the poker table or playing pool. This guy is still practicing his stroke after all these years.

Thanks MOM! :)
Did you know that I've known Paul Baker for over 40 years. We first met at Mergards in Cincy. Ask him if he remembers.

dabarbr
05-05-2009, 10:32 AM

I just got my autographed copy from Jay this last weekend and hope to have time to read it before I go to Vegas. I just thumbed through it quickly and it looks very interesting.

jay helfert
05-05-2009, 10:36 AM
I just got my autographed copy from Jay this last weekend and hope to have time to read it before I go to Vegas. I just thumbed through it quickly and it looks very interesting.

There could be a whole chapter about Frank "The Fleecer". Excuse me, "The Barber". It amazes me how good he still plays. And he's a senior citizen too! Very senior! :eek:

Big Perm
05-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Great book, great read, great guy.....buy it or continue to live in the dark :D

bfdlad
05-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I have my copy of Pool Wars and although I have been on the road for the past 2 wees I have managed to get through a fair bit even though I really didn't have the time to do it. The book is alot of fun and kept me reading, I suggest anyone who loves pool and likes to hear the stories of how things used to be BUY THIS BOOK.
Although Jay I consider a personal friend of mine wrote the book I and not giving it the must read review because of that. I would have to say the same thing if my worst enemy wrote the thing.
Thanks jay for doing this book.

Carpe_Diem
05-05-2009, 11:20 AM
I can't wait to get my copy.

I am very much looking forward to the read.

Thanks for taking the time to write it Jay.

Paul

mmwtdh
05-05-2009, 11:38 AM
I read mine in about 2 days......... couldn't put it down.

Dead Money
05-05-2009, 11:42 AM
It's a good read. I finished mine and now I am going back over some of the best parts:)

GroundHogg
05-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey Jay are you going to have some copies with you in Vegas?

jay helfert
05-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey Jay are you going to have some copies with you in Vegas?

Yep, will be at Robin Dodson's booth for some book signings. I may even carry a few around with me.

tucson9ball
05-05-2009, 03:25 PM
My wife bought me "Pool Wars" for my birthday in April. I read it in just a few days. There are some very nice stories about hustling and just plain life in general. It's well worth the money. I have copy #99 of the first 500. A sentimental number cause I'm also a hockey fan (Wayne Gretzky's #).
In this book is mention of a phenomenal 1 pocket match between Ronnie Allen and Danny Deliberto. This is another match I would love to have seen. Especially since I played Danny on the very same table, although my results were not the same lol.
Jay, if you read this, ignore my email to ya. I looked over your site and found the info about the DVD's. I will order one after the BCA in Vegas.:thumbup:

Pushout
05-05-2009, 03:43 PM
In this book is mention of a phenomenal 1 pocket match between Ronnie Allen and Danny Deliberto. This is another match I would love to have seen. Especially since I played Danny on the very same table, although my results were not the same lol.

I got my set of VHS tapes of this match in my next to last trip to the US Open from Accu-Stats. At least, I think it's the same match. They may have them on DVD now. I hope to get mine converted locally soon.
Jay's book is really great, by the way!!

GroundHogg
05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Yep, will be at Robin Dodson's booth for some book signings. I may even carry a few around with me.

Well get one ready for GROUNDHOGG...

See you there,
Jacob

JoeyA
05-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Jay's got a book out on pool?

I'll have to check into that. It's gottabegood. :grin-square:

JoeyA

poolhustler
05-05-2009, 06:33 PM
I got mine last Sun at Hardtimes also.

I'd be readin' it right now if the DH/DA match wasn't on...:thumbup:

Looks to be a good read!!

Thanks Jay.........

BlowFish
05-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Jay's book is a must read for pool fans. I'm reading it over again for the 2nd time. :D

fsarfino
05-22-2009, 01:52 AM
I just finished reading my copy. Thanks for putting the book out Jay it was a great read I really enjoyed it. Thanks again for signing it for me :thumbup:

The only problem that I had with it was that I'm too fast of a reader and I finished it all in one sitting :grin:

Renegade
05-22-2009, 03:51 AM
Wanted to but the book buy shipping costs are prohibitive. When are you coming to the Philippines, Jay? Maybe we can arrange for you to do a book tour here....

Renegade
05-22-2009, 03:53 AM
oops double post

CocoboloCowboy
05-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Three Pool Papers I read on line had an excerp from the book, I understand it sold in in Las Vegas.

Carpe_Diem
05-22-2009, 06:42 AM
I got my copy a few day's ago. Super fantastic read! Thanks Jay for taking the time to put your travels into words.:thumbup:

Paul

Ironman317
05-22-2009, 07:33 AM
i just finished reading a copy of it as well. once i started it, i couldn't put it down. thanks jay for sharing those wonderful stories about all of those great great players. i hope writing it brought back alot of fond memories to you as well.

jay helfert
05-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Three Pool Papers I read on line had an excerp from the book, I understand it sold in in Las Vegas.

There were copies available at the Bebob Publishing booth. They must have sold over forty copies alone. I just sent them another case of books (68). I took 110 copies with me and came home with six. People stopped me in the hallways asking for a copy. I also did two book signings at Robin Dodson's booth.

What was most satisfying was all the people who came up to me and told me how much they enjoyed the book. Makes me want to write another one. :thumbup:

OILED
05-22-2009, 11:40 AM
And...........

stuckart
05-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Jay, I want to share that I'm not one of those guys that ever reads books, and I can't even remember that last time I was so intrigued in one book. But I just couldn't put your book down.

I sat on the beaches of Aruba for 10 days and picked up the book almost everyday while relaxing and sipping ice cream drinks. My wife sat next to me and read her books as well. I even came home with a little white sand between the pages.

I loved the sporatic jumping from story to story. Everytime I had to put the book down I would say, I can get through one more story.

Thank you Jay!

hustler
05-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Read my signed copy in a day. My only complaint is I wish it didn't end and there was more to read !

back2good1
05-22-2009, 01:22 PM

As soon as I heard you were going to be at Robins booth... I was the first one there to get my autographed copy! Thanks Jay it was a great read!

-Carlos

jay helfert
05-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Jay, I want to share that I'm not one of those guys that ever reads books, and I can't even remember that last time I was so intrigued in one book. But I just couldn't put your book down.

I sat on the beaches of Aruba for 10 days and picked up the book almost everyday while relaxing and sipping ice cream drinks. My wife sat next to me and read her books as well. I even came home with a little white sand between the pages.

I loved the sporatic jumping from story to story. Everytime I had to put the book down I would say, I can get through one more story.

Thank you Jay!

Next time, invite me! You'll get a free book! :thumbup:

Spade
05-22-2009, 07:24 PM
I just ordered a copy. I cant wait to read it!