PDA

View Full Version : Soaking Chalk in Milk

travis92
05-05-2009, 09:34 PM
I know this just might be the stupidest post yet, but would soaking a piece of chalk in milk for a while and then baking it do anything different to it. I have had that random idea stuck in my head for the last few days.

rackem
05-05-2009, 09:39 PM
I still don't think it is going to taste very good.:killingme::rotflmao1:

manwon
05-05-2009, 10:22 PM
I know this just might be the stupidest post yet, but would soaking a piece of chalk in milk for a while and then baking it do anything different to it. I have had that random idea stuck in my head for the last few days.

Travis, what do you think that doing this will do?

I have never heard of it, but that doesn't mean that there is no method behind the concept.

I would like to here your reasoning for doing this so that I can see where this idea is coming from!!!!

Thanks Craig:)

dragon81
05-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Travis, what do you think that doing this will do?

I have never heard of it, but that doesn't mean that there is no method behind the concept.

I would like to here your reasoning for doing this so that I can see where this idea is coming from!!!!

Thanks Craig:)

I second that.....really curious the logic behind it....=)

chin0
05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Milk dud method used on chalk eh?

Tennesseejoe
05-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Good idea. I do it with my shaft and have astounding results.

Drew
05-05-2009, 11:28 PM
BEST IDEA EVER!!! Why use chalk in cube shape when you can dissolve it in milk??

Jeff G. Martin
05-05-2009, 11:33 PM

chin0
05-06-2009, 12:58 AM
Am I seeing a market for spray on chalk????? :eek:

I think your chalk would probably smell sour and reek of mold and yogurt :D jk
Try it and let us know how the experiment goes,

- box of master blue chalk... $3.00
- Carton of milk.... $2.59
- Oven time.... unknown
-------------> Idea and result.... PRICELESS :)

BVal
05-06-2009, 01:03 AM

I know it is not the best idea (or post) but you have a long way to go to be the stupidest. If you need some sort of reference as to what you need to shoot for send me a PM. :)

BVal

Rich93
05-06-2009, 01:22 AM

I think Edison started out like this - if milk doesn't work, then try half and half, cream, butter, cottage cheese. After 1000 tries you'll know 1000 things that don't work, but the 1001st........

No, really, I would drink the milk and try Blue Diamond chalk instead.

beav99_4life
05-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Man, I usually mind my own business and don't say this to people too often, but man, lay off the drugs, they're obviously doing more harm than good.

Drew
05-06-2009, 02:10 AM
http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/fail_is_strong.jpg

CocoboloCowboy
05-06-2009, 04:46 AM

Try it and report results.

PROG8R
05-06-2009, 05:18 AM
What the hell, what do you got to lose. take a chalk out of your case and put it in some milk. I would think it might just dissolve though.

sfleinen
05-06-2009, 05:24 AM
Am I seeing a market for spray on chalk????? :eek:

I think your chalk would probably smell sour and reek of mold and yogurt :D jk
Try it and let us know how the experiment goes,

- box of master blue chalk... $3.00
- Carton of milk.... $2.59
- Oven time.... unknown
-------------> Idea and result.... PRICELESS :)

chin0:

Spray on chalk? Hey, you might be on to something! We already have the "Chalk-Off" product (http://pooltablecleaner.com/), so why not a "Chalk-On" product? :D

-Sean

cmsmith9
05-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Did you come up with this because you've heard players putting leather tips in milk to make them harder? The calcium in milk makes it harder, don't know how this would apply to chalk.

I played Ronnie Alcano in a Joss event couple years back. Every so often he would heat up the chalk with a lighter. Probably so it'd stick better but I never asked.

Christian

folkar
05-06-2009, 06:24 AM
If your going to try this, as I’m guessing the idea is based off of soaking tips in milk to make tips like 'milk duds', remember that for the tips you need to re-compress them in a vice. So don't forget that step.....

:) sorry couldn’t resist. My guess is that it wouldn’t do anything, but kudos on at least posting what I have to assume is definitely an original concept, and who knows if whoever first thought of soaking tips in milk got the same reaction.

chin0
05-06-2009, 07:51 AM
chin0:

Spray on chalk? Hey, you might be on to something! We already have the "Chalk-Off" product (http://pooltablecleaner.com/), so why not a "Chalk-On" product? :D

-Sean

I wonder if I would be violating a copyright if I called it "Diamond Dust" lol
Moto... "Chalk right everytime!" :D

rayjay
05-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Milk contains proteins (casiens, I think) that act like a glue and bind the particles of an Elk Master tip together. When compressed and dried, the tip is hard but retains some of the "soft" qualities of the Elk Master, like grabbing the cue ball. It seems like if you did this with chalk, even if you could avoid making a total mess, it would be hard and scratchy and not work very well. But good luck...let us know how it turns out!
:p

tigerseye
05-06-2009, 08:12 AM

The last time i did i got milk chalkolate....:thumbup:

Kevin Lindstrom
05-06-2009, 08:27 AM

Are you Travis Trotter??????????

Kevin

StrokeofLuck
05-06-2009, 08:30 AM
I tried it, tastes very similar to Grape Nuts:thumbup:

HereWeGo
05-06-2009, 08:43 AM

That's what I'm thinking. Lol.

FAST_N_LOOSE
05-06-2009, 08:51 AM
I can't see the chalk absorbing the milk, so i don't think it would do much. But now that you brought it upo, you have to try it and post the results. I know heating chalk makes it grab better, but don't know what effect the milk will have, if any.

JesPiddlin
05-06-2009, 09:08 AM
I tried it, tastes very similar to Grape Nuts:thumbup:

Cocobolo Cowboy is falling down on the job. I would expect a response like this one from him. :thumbup:

I think you should try it and report your results. Make sure you take notes on how much milk and how much time and what temp, etc., in case something wonderful comes of this whole thing. The best recipes for magic happen when nobody takes notes and therefore, nobody can ever repeat them. :(

JoseV
05-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Well i think he is working on the idea of blue berry flaverd milk. And the next time i get my hands on chalk i will put it in my milk and drink it. I know sounds nasty but when we have down time here in iraq we get really bored and start doing stupid things like snorting wasbi sauce

larrynj1
05-06-2009, 10:49 AM
i put a cube or two in my tighty whiteys for a day or two, and no one steals my master chalk with no flag on the label.

Neil
05-06-2009, 11:07 AM

TXsouthpaw
05-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Forget the milk put it in some red bull, maybe youll get a little extra juice on the cue ball.

and if that dont work then just drink the redbull chalk concoction itll DEFINITELY do something for you. (or to you) :D

TXsouthpaw
05-06-2009, 11:37 AM
I played Ronnie Alcano in a Joss event couple years back. Every so often he would heat up the chalk with a lighter. Probably so it'd stick better but I never asked.

Christian

HMMMM smoking the chalk? Maybe thats the pinoys secret. Ill have to pass the info on. Theres some guys at the hall whove smoked eveything else trying to get a little edge. Why not the chalk too. :grin-square: Just toss it in the ole pipe and light it up. :P

BTW this is the funniest thread ive seen in a while.

chin0
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Forget the milk put it in some red bull, maybe youll get a little extra juice on the cue ball.

and if that dont work then just drink the redbull chalk concoction itll DEFINITELY do something for you. (or to you) :D

Might give the cue ball wings lol

TheWhiteEwok
05-06-2009, 12:52 PM
haha - this is a hilarious thread

yeah - you are going to have fun with the experiment, but it will "ruin" the chalk.

Chalk is Sand + Mineral (to put it laymenish) - its a ground up abrasive.

By soaking it in milk you will "seal" the compound together and make it smoother - not more abrasive.

You could look at possibly using something like a vinegar possibly? But I think no matter what you aren't going to improve on the chemical compound unless you know chemistry.

center pocket
05-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Deffinatly interesting. I don't think chalk and milk will do anything magical. But what if there was a better way to apply chalk. A way that got it only on the tip and no wear else, when applying it. Maybe it is about time the technique of chalking got a little more high tech?

Still this sh*t is funny.

Klopek
05-06-2009, 01:33 PM

grindz
05-06-2009, 03:18 PM

I like chocolate chip cookies with my milk. To each his own.

td

travis92
05-06-2009, 05:40 PM
well to start im not currently on drugs lol
and im soaking the chalk now but ive got a fealing it just dissolve

Cuebuddy
05-06-2009, 05:49 PM
If we don't gain anything from the milk masters then maybe there is a poster who has a table who has Simonis on it that needs to be replaced soon and we can try soaking the table in milk. If it doesn't change it for the better then you needed new cloth anyway.:)

chin0
05-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Who wants to volunteer to soak their blank shafts in milk, have it straighten and dried out and make actually milk shafts out of them? Maybe one of the cue makers would try it. How about it Varney? lol

Proposal doesn't not include or provide the shaft blanks for testing :D

JimS
05-07-2009, 03:24 AM
I think it absolutely IS the stupidest post to ever grace the wonderful pages of az. No offense... nothing personal. :groucho:

The_Ski_Mask
05-07-2009, 04:17 AM
If it makes the chalk worse, then even better! Just replace the chalk on the table for your opponent to use... :D TRAP CHALK, i guess I'd buy that

thepavlos
05-07-2009, 04:41 AM
I soaked my feet in Epsom salts and now I'm banking 22% better!!!!!!

3Bros Billiards
05-07-2009, 07:08 AM
Some of the best inventions probably started with a really stupid sounding idea...

Did you try it yet?

Klopek
05-07-2009, 01:28 PM

chin0
05-07-2009, 01:38 PM
That's how the tin-foil helmet was invented.

That's also how GWB got elected as president lol jk

I mean if we have cues with laser sights, pool shoes, so why knock milk chalk?

I am curently working on a formula to make spray on chalk, you wait and see :D jk

Maybe tube chalk, like a tip tip/ lip stick thing with pillar shape chalk refill. You can stick your cue in it and spin it Paul Newman style to get chalk on your tip but keep your hands clean of chalk :eek: invention baby, yeah! lol

Beware_of_Dawg
05-07-2009, 02:33 PM
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1954/fuuuuuuuuuu.jpg (http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fuuuuuuuuuu.jpg)