PDA

View Full Version : How to define players' speed

beerpoolpoker
05-06-2009, 03:20 PM
I was at the local hall one night, looking for a little 5 dollar action and the guy I was playing with said one player--who i didnt know-- was 2-3 balls better than me... my question is.. can this be defined in any way? If a player improves by a ball, what exactly does that mean?

thx, and hope not a duplicate thread, if so, delete it.

Drew
05-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Typically that's the amount of weight he can give you per rack of 9-ball.

2-3 balls better means he can comfortably give you the wild 7 out.

CreeDo
05-06-2009, 07:05 PM
I think of it in terms of your average run at 9 ball. If you were to do the math and count safeties and breaks and pushouts and everything else you'd find even pros might only be 6 balls or something. But I think the idea is "how many balls do you run with a fairly open common rack of 9 ball". If you're gonna screw up and usually get out of line after 5 shots and the other guy is a pro who is guaranteed to get out from an open spread, the pro plays 4 balls better than you.

maha
05-06-2009, 07:34 PM
if your talking one pocket you say so many balls better and its very precise.

in nine ball you say he is the seven over him, for instance

the best one we used in the past to give an accurate account of ones speed was to use what he could run in straight pool. you would ask could he run 50. if the answer was yes you had a good idea of his speed and then ask 100. if answer was no you could pinpoint his speed closely.

actioncentral
05-06-2009, 08:17 PM
if you want 5 dollar action, you might as well just try some even and feel him out. If you want to play for 100 or so then you will know where you stand and how to match up fairly.

dragon81
05-06-2009, 08:20 PM
If a player is 2-3 balls better than you...it means their consistent run will be 2-3 balls more than you.

JoseV
05-06-2009, 08:24 PM
if you want 5 dollar action, you might as well just try some even and feel him out. If you want to play for 100 or so then you will know where you stand and how to match up fairly.

I Agree if you looking for 5 bucks a game i would look for someone a little faster than me to play it will make for a better challenge.