PDA

View Full Version : APA question...

tigerseye
05-06-2009, 07:18 PM
My friend was in Vegas this past week and played in a few mini manias. The situation came up when his opponent grabs his break jump cue to jump a ball.
We have always been told you could not use a jump cue playing in the APA...
So of course the guy says sure you can and the referee came over and confirmed that you could use a break/jump cue just as long as you dont break it down to just a jump cue....
So i was just trying to see if someone could clear this Rule for me...
Thanks

Neil
05-06-2009, 07:33 PM

Thunderball
05-06-2009, 07:40 PM
My league said this at our last city tourny:
"you can jump with your full length cue IF its the one you take the most shots with" (not a break cue).

I realize thats not an answer exactly,just saying its quite different then what you were told.

HTH

custmqs
05-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Current rulebook says jumps must be made with your regular game cue which is defined as the one you play most shots with. I believe this was a fairly recent change as it used to be legal to use your break cue so long as you did not break it down. I think the Ref screwed up...

33. EQUIPMENT
In general, any piece of equipment designed specifically for pocket billiards,
with the exception of jump cues and laser devices, is acceptable in APA
League play. Special equipment, such as bridges and cue extenders, are legal.
Jump shots are legal, when executed properly (see JUMP SHOTS described
in Definitions), but such shots must be attempted using your regular game
cue (see REGULAR GAME CUE described in Definitions). Those cues
especially designed for jump shots MAY NOT be used in competition.
Players are not allowed to break their cues down to attempt jump shots.

REGULAR GAME CUE: The cue used for the majority of shots in your
match.

Drew
05-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah the rule is that you have to use your playing cue to jump.

I wonder if I can run out with a break/jump and pull out my "superdraw" cue only when I need to stroke something...then I get to jump with my regular cue.

I'll experiment with this at league and see what they say.

ronhudson
05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
I think the referee was wrong.

According to the APA rules, as pointed out above, you can't use a cue just for jumping and breaking and another cue for all other play.

dragon81
05-06-2009, 08:19 PM
I had thought you were not allowed to change cues in the middle of the game.....but in another post, a friend of mine who is a league operator confirmed that this is now a new rule. The cue you 'play' most shots with is your playing cue, and can not be changed in the middle of a game.

Drew
05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I had thought you were not allowed to change cues in the middle of the game.....but in another post, a friend of mine who is a league operator confirmed that this is now a new rule. The cue you 'play' most shots with is your playing cue, and can not be changed in the middle of a game.

Wouldn't changing cues after the break be in the middle of the game?

D_Lewis
05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
This is a very grey rule.

There has been many rule changes on the subject in my short CPA (APA) period. No jump cues is obvious.

I played a jump with my breaker, made the ball and was told I had to follow up the shot with the same cue and then could switch back to my normal player.

dragon81
05-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Wouldn't changing cues after the break be in the middle of the game?

you know what i meant....you can't shoot 3 straight in balls then grab your break cue to jump a ball.......:P

Drew
05-06-2009, 10:50 PM
you know what i meant....you can't shoot 3 straight in balls then grab your break cue to jump a ball.......:P

Well that wouldn't work because your break cue is not the cue you use in most shots of the game. But the rules say nothing about switching cues for stroke shots. I'm wondering: can I shoot 3 shots with my break cue and then grab another cue to draw the ball? That way when I have to jump a ball, I can use my break cue since it's the cue I use for most shots.

dragon81
05-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Well that wouldn't work because your break cue is not the cue you use in most shots of the game. But the rules say nothing about switching cues for stroke shots. I'm wondering: can I shoot 3 shots with my break cue and then grab another cue to draw the ball? That way when I have to jump a ball, I can use my break cue since it's the cue I use for most shots.

ask APA.
i quit playing APA awhile ago.