PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on TAR

IamMark
05-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Well, yesterday I finally had a chance to purchase and watch a TAR ppv. It was fun for the most part, but I really don't see myself purchasing another match on a weeknight. Nothing to do with the quality, it was great. Except, it is during a weeknight where I love to watch NBA playoffs or MLB. I really just don't see myself turning down those games, which I watch for free (part of cable bill). Yesterday, I purchased the ppv just to see what it was like, and for the most part I was watching the NBA playoffs and switched over to TAR during commercials. I was just wondering if I was alone or whether more people fit in this case? I was thinking if the match was held during a weekend, it may get much more viewers. I know its tough enough organizing these events, and I may just be too picky.

Sam Waltz
05-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Your right, it is hard when some of these events are scheduled during the work week. Guess what though...TAR has a another opportunity lined up for ya this weekend with Rodney Morris and Chris Bartram! Looks to be a great match with two high profile gamblers firin' 'em in for some substantial cash! I hope you give TAR another opportunity and purchase this match as I'm sure you'll enjoy the show!:thumbup:

CreeDo
05-07-2009, 09:50 AM
also don't forget they'll be offering stuff on DVD so maybe just plan on buying a DVD if it looks like the timing of the live PPV isn't gonna work out for you.

UrackmIcrackm
05-07-2009, 09:51 AM
I think they would get less viewers on the wkend, especially during the summer months. People go out of town, on vacation, to cook outs, etc. The people that work tend to stay home during the week. Not everyone watches sports. A lof of folks either watch tv shows or hardly anything at all. With Tivo & DVR's in most homes now, some folks will do as I did and DVR their shows to watch at a later time. I understand that doesn't work with sports which is why I didn't offer you that suggestion.

From past threads on here and stuff in the streaming chat, the biggest problem people tend to have is the late hours on week nights. Matches like the one this week are difficult for people on the east coast to be able stay up & watch. People on the west coast tend to not get home until the matches are well under way.

Most cannot watch from work (I can't). One match that I wanted to see and wasn't able to due to the time that the matche was played was Bartrum vs. Moore. They started in the morning and played through the work day. If I remember correctly, Justin vowed to never agree to that again. I never heard the numbers but I'm going to guess that the ppv numbers were less than stellar.

Ultimately, you can't please everyone. Over all, TAR does a fantastic job and try to please everyone as best they can under the circumstances. Lastly, most of the pool players featured in these match ups don't have jobs outside of the playing pool. They're a nomadic group that tends to stay up late, sleep late, and really couldn't care less what day of the week it is when the right game presents itself. ;)

Roy Steffensen
05-07-2009, 09:52 AM
I live far, far away and bought it. The broadcast starts at 2 at night and end around 7-10 in the morning.

If you are a fan you have to do whatever you can to support the game :)

Eric.
05-07-2009, 09:54 AM
It all depends on what you want to do with your free time.

Me? I like watching Pool and can care less about regualr TV. For that matter, I don't have that much free time during the week and TAR is the only time I will sit for a few hours watching something on a weeknight.

(BTW, "free" on regular cable is still something you're paying for, lol)

Eric

mosconiac
05-07-2009, 09:58 AM
If you got a call from a buddy that Dennis Hatch & Darren Appleton were down at your local poolhall playing a match for $40,000...would you hang up & keep watching your NBA game--or--would you make tracks for the car keys? I know what I would do!

The way I look at it is TAR brings a hell of a product that everyone *says* they want, but as soon as they pipe it directly into your home for a modest fee...people kinda get weird about it. It's on too late, its on during the week, its hard on my Mac, its spread over 3 days?, its not free?,...blah, blah, blah.

I understand your point Mark, you like pro basketball and baseball more than pro pool. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just glad you bought the ppv, it keeps TAR in action for a while longer. I hope "longer" is many, many years!

UrackmIcrackm
05-07-2009, 09:58 AM
also don't forget they'll be offering stuff on DVD so maybe just plan on buying a DVD if it looks like the timing of the live PPV isn't gonna work out for you.

Which is exactly how I make up for the matches that I can't view. The only down side is that TAR consists of only Chad & Justin which means poor Justin is behind & with each great match up that comes along, he just gets more & more behind. I wish I knew more about that stuff because I would volunteer my time to help him get caught up.

bfdlad
05-07-2009, 10:37 AM
A little bird told me that they had Archer doing commentary on one of the days. thats always good to have a pro helping with commentary.

lady9ball
05-07-2009, 10:44 AM
If I could record the TAR broadcast and watch it when I wanted to, I would probably purchase at least 50% of their streams. If anyone knows a good way to do this, please fill me in.

DrOnePocket
05-07-2009, 10:46 AM
if i could record the tar broadcast and watch it when i wanted to, i would probably purchase at least 50% of their streams. If anyone knows a good way to do this, please fill me in.

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

worriedbeef
05-07-2009, 10:56 AM
bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trouble is that would severely hurt sales of the DVD's...

what i would love to see is a delayed viewing time - ie: after you pay for it you can watch the match after you log in for say 1 week.

because even though i purchase most of the streams - the time difference means I can never watch hardly any of it!

Eric.
05-07-2009, 10:59 AM
If I could record the TAR broadcast and watch it when I wanted to, I would probably purchase at least 50% of their streams. If anyone knows a good way to do this, please fill me in.

It might take a lil longer for TAR to get the DVD out, but...typically the DVD sells for the same amount as the live PPV. A bonus is that it gets packaged and burned to a DVD, so you can add to your collection.

Eric

UrackmIcrackm
05-07-2009, 11:00 AM

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me ask - Have you bought any of the DVD's?

The rights of the broadcast belong to TAR. Not to say that you would post the match on you tube for all to see for free, or burn copies and sell them, but I assure you that many people would do that.

If you could record the streams then they would never make any money from trying to sell the DVD's. The proceeds are split between TAR & both players. The players make more money off the TAR DVD's than they do off of accu stat matches. Allowing people to record the streams would literally be taking money out of their pockets.

DrOnePocket
05-07-2009, 11:02 AM

The rights of the broadcast belong to TAR. Not to say that you would post the match on you tube for all to see for free, or burn copies and sell them, but I assure you that many people would do that.

If you could record the streams then they would never make any money from trying to sell the DVD's. The proceeds are split between TAR & both players. The players make more money off the TAR DVD's than they do off of accu stat matches. Allowing people to record the streams would literally be taking money out of their pockets.

You are not thinking about all of the money they are losing by not allowing us to record what we are already paying for. I know several ppl who won't buy any ppv's because of this

UrackmIcrackm
05-07-2009, 11:07 AM
You are not thinking about all of the money they are losing by not allowing us to record what we are already paying for. I know several ppl who won't buy any ppv's because of this

Do you boycott buying their DVD's also or have you bought any of their DVD's?

lady9ball
05-07-2009, 11:10 AM

All very good points. I haven't bought any DVDs because I recall seeing posts that suggested that they don't get released for quite some time after the matches happen. But I think I'll take another look at this option, since you reminded me that the players benefit more that way.

I would still like to figure out how to record streams, though. :) Just for my own personal use, of course!

DrOnePocket
05-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Do you boycott buying their DVD's also or have you bought any of their DVD's?

I would buy most of the ppv's if i was able to record them and watch them when I wanted, especially if they would have more 1 pocket matches. Every other kind of ppv in the world can be recorded and watched at the viewers convenience. TAR is only hurting themselves

I have no interest in the DVD's.

PROG8R
05-07-2009, 11:18 AM
I have bought quite a few of their DVD's. I love them. As for the time it takes to get them out.. The Efren SVB was out within a month and you know what they say. If you haven't seen it, it is still new to you.

PS
The major movie companies usually take forever to put a film on DVD and I still but hundreds of DVD's. I guess it is all on how much you like to watch match ups.

UrackmIcrackm
05-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I would buy most of the ppv's if i was able to record them and watch them when I wanted, especially if they would have more 1 pocket matches. Every other kind of ppv in the world can be recorded and watched at the viewers convenience. TAR is only hurting themselves

Let me get this straight - You want to record the ppv so that you can watch it at your leisure, correct? You can watch DVD's at your leisure so why do you have no interest in the DVD?

You want to record it yourself & can't, but there is an option to buy it from them & you won't.

If you record it yourself, you can burn it, and undersell them for your own profit before they're able to get the DVD on the market. If you have to wait & buy it from them, you lose that option. Hmmmm

Unless there's a rational explanation as to why it's better to DL it than watch the DVD, I'm left with the thought of possible theft. I am not saying you're a thief, I'm just saying your thought process leads most down that path of thinking.

I'm pretty sure the number of people that do buy the ppv and the DVD's far out number the boycotters like yourself. In the end, you lose because you're not allowing yourself to enjoy some phenomenal pool.

BVal
05-07-2009, 11:38 AM

That is the first complaining I have heard about not being able to record it.
Also, as UrackemIcrackem pointed out. Your logic doesn't make much sense.

BVal

UrackmIcrackm
05-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Every other kind of ppv in the world can be recorded and watched at the viewers convenience.

Exactly how many ppv's do you watch online? If you're comparing TV PPV to online ppv, that is apples to oranges. LMAO, if pool and TAR were popular enough to get TV PPV, do you think they would fool with online PPV?

Please advise, what online ppv's do you watch from all over the world?

DrOnePocket
05-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Let me get this straight - You want to record the ppv so that you can watch it at your leisure, correct? You can watch DVD's at your leisure so why do you have no interest in the DVD?

You want to record it yourself & can't, but there is an option to buy it from them & you won't.

If you record it yourself, you can burn it, and undersell them for your own profit before they're able to get the DVD on the market. If you have to wait & buy it from them, you lose that option. Hmmmm

Unless there's a rational explanation as to why it's better to DL it than watch the DVD, I'm left with the thought of possible theft. I am not saying you're a thief, I'm just saying your thought process leads most down that path of thinking.

I'm pretty sure the number of people that do buy the ppv and the DVD's far out number the boycotters like yourself. In the end, you lose because you're not allowing yourself to enjoy some phenomenal pool.

Look,

I have no need to steal from them, nor do I have the time to do even if I wanted to. You are just running your mouth about nothing.

I don't care about the DVD's, you don't have to like it or agree with it. Your logic makes no sense at all anyway. Anyone can buy the DVD and sell bootleg copies just like they could the live stream if it was recordable.

The point is that ALL PPV's in the world are recordable except TAR's. Some of us have to work for a living and can't be glued to the computer until 4 am on a Tuesday. I'm sure you can't understand that.

I don't know why I am wasting my time with someone like you

mrmagoo42
05-07-2009, 11:52 AM
I am repeating an earlier reply that purchasing the right to watch at your time is a good option. I purchased a couple during DCC and was very pleased with watching from my computer. I could watch it for as much as I wanted for a whole week. That worked for me.

brandoncook26
05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
I think it would be a great idea to be able to watch the ppv at the TAR website for a predetermined amount of time (as a previous poster stated, maybe a week) after the set. I go to work at 10 est, so I can only watch an hour and a half of the match. If purchasing the ppv would allow me to watch it the next day on their site, it would make it much more enjoyable.

I buy most of the dvd's when they come out anyway, but I think that could be a positive direction for TAR to go.

-Brandon

kawa44
05-07-2009, 11:57 AM
In my opinion TAR is the best thing to happen to pool in a long time. I have purchased their ppv 4 or 5 times enjoyed every one. I watched Hatch and Darren and not the NBA.

mrmagoo42
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Not knowing the outcome is a big plus to the 7 day viewing option as well.

UrackmIcrackm
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Look moron,

I have no need to steal from them, nor do I have the time to do even if I wanted to. You are just running your mouth about nothing.

I don't care about the DVD's, you don't have to like it or agree with it. Your logic makes no sense at all anyway. Anyone can buy the DVD and sell bootleg copies just like they could the live stream if it was recordable.

The point is that ALL PPV's in the world are recordable except TAR's. Some of us have to work for a living and can't be glued to the computer until 4 am on a Tuesday. I'm sure you can't understand that.

I didn't call you any names. I simply pointed out that your "logic" makes no sense. Yes, bootlegs can be made. The point I made is that if you record the PPV, you can get the copy out before they can make the DVD, hence underselling them. Was my thought process clearer this time?

"ALL PPV's in the world". I'll ask again, are you comparing an online PPV to a TV PPV? If not, please advise what online PPV's you're watching. I'm curious.

What if you went to bed instead of being "glued to the computer until 4 am" and something went wrong with your computer and it didn't record? Seems to me that a DVD is a safer bet and would be of better quality.

Last, but certainly not least. Could you please explain why you have "no interest in the TAR DVD's" (your words) but yet you sing praises about accu stat DVD's.
Call Accu-Stat and join their video of the month club.

You can pick out any DVD's you want for $10 each. Cant beat that deal

1 800 828 0397

PROG8R
05-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Look,

Easy there big fella..

Lot of us can not stay up to watch these matches.. That is why a lot of us buy the DVD. I can watch it when ever I want and as much as I want.
That being said, there are a few sites that sell mostly movies.. example www.dvdempire.com that not only sell movies, but you can pay to download the movie to your PC if you dont want to wait for shipping (I guess).

UrackmIcrackm
05-07-2009, 12:07 PM
For those of you suggesting the option of being able to watch the ppv on TAR's website, I agree that its a good idea. I've not heard it addressed by TAR but if I had to guess, it might be time constraints?

I have no idea what it would take as far as time & bandwidth (??) to put the ppv's on their website for paying customers. While it would be a nice option, there might be more to it, making it considerably more difficult than we realize.

PROG8R
05-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Maybe they can get into ITUNES... That would be bad ass as well...

CreeDo
05-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Let's take it easy before we start screaming about thieves screwing TAR. The means to record the streamed matches exists (try googling "record streaming video" or something similar), but it isn't stealing to record it after you already paid for it. It only starts to be shady if you take that recording and offer it to other people (whether you charge or not).

It is possible and fairly easy to save both a streaming movie and a DVD movie to your computer, at which point you can burn it to DVD or VCD or just transfer it over the internet to someone else's hard drive.

Of the two tasks, copying the DVD is much less hassle. It can practically be done with just the stuff built into windows.

Copying the stream means you must babysit the stream, staying in front of the computer for the entire thing. You must make sure the recording program is catching both audio and video, and then hope the stream doesn't die at some point. If it does, you may have to start up the recording program again and you'd probably want to go through the slow hassle of editing out the dead spots. You may have to occasionally "goose" the recording program anyway. And your video file will be in a format that can't immediately be burned onto a DVD without converting it first.

So to recap:
- "saving" a stream or a DVD to hard drive doesn't make you a thief.
- If you WERE a thief who planned on spreading the video to people, so that they could get it for free... you're not exactly a thief because you paid for it. It'd make more sense to call the other people thieves because they chose to get an illegal download/knockoff instead of paying for the original. I guess you could call the 'sharer' a shady person tho.
- If you ARE shady enough to want to share this video illegally, it is far far easier to do so from the DVD than by recording the stream, and the DVD's quality will be nicer.

DrOnePocket
05-07-2009, 12:19 PM

BVal

Hey BVAL,

TAR is IMO one of the coolest things ever to happen to pool. I have never been into tournaments, but love the action. If they never make the PPV recordable, that is fine. I wish they would so I could join the fun.

I have 16 successful years in the advertising business and my logic not only makes sense, it makes dollars. Hard for me to see how anyone with average or above intelligence could disagree. Most people aren't thieves and wouldn't bootleg the DVD's or the PPV recording. There are always bad apples and you can't spend your time or money worrying about them. It would be the same thing as being worried about three people all chipping in on the cost of the PPV and watching it together. That stuff happens, nothing you can do about it. If they hired a Pro to consult for them, they would get the same info I am giving you.

i will not be posting anymore in this thread

have a great day!

BVal
05-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Hey BVAL,

TAR is IMO one of the coolest things ever to happen to pool. I have never been into tournaments, but love the action. If they never make the PPV recordable, that is fine. I wish they would so I could join the fun.

I have 16 successful years in the advertising business and my logic not only makes sense, it makes dollars. Hard for me to see how anyone with average or above intelligence could disagree. Most people aren't thieves and wouldn't bootleg the DVD's or the PPV recording. There are always bad apples and you can't spend your time or money worrying about them. It would be the same thing as being worried about three people all chipping in on the cost of the PPV and watching it together. That stuff happens, nothing you can do about it. If they hired a Pro to consult for them, they would get the same info I am giving you.

i will not be posting anymore in this thread

have a great day!
I know you aren't posting anymore but just in case you read this.

The reason I think it doesn't make sense to record it is because you would have to sit and watch the whole thing anyways (which you said you don't have time to do). With that being said, not being interested in the DVD is the part that really doesn't make any sense to me. That's all. I hope I didn't offend you as that wasn't my intention.

I hope you have a great day as well.

BVal

UrackmIcrackm
05-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Let's take it easy before we start screaming about thieves screwing TAR.

I never got upset or lost my cool. I simply pointed out one of the reasons that TAR might have for not allowing the streams to be recorded. People said they wanted to watch at their leisure & I pointed out that DVD's could be watched at their leisure and somewhere along the way, I became a "moron". :confused:

So to recap:
- "saving" a stream or a DVD to hard drive doesn't make you a thief.
Did no one catch the part where I specifically stated that I was not calling anyone a thief?

- If you WERE a thief who planned on spreading the video to people, so that they could get it for free... you're not exactly a thief because you paid for it. It'd make more sense to call the other people thieves because they chose to get an illegal download/knockoff instead of paying for the original. I guess you could call the 'sharer' a shady person tho.
Shady, yes. Thief, yes. I see your point on the others being thieves (and agree) but remember that the shady person selling the bootlegged DVD is taking money from the pockets of others so it would be stealing, by proxy. :)

- If you ARE shady enough to want to share this video illegally, it is far far easier to do so from the DVD than by recording the stream, and the DVD's quality will be nicer.

I have 16 successful years in the advertising business and my logic not only makes sense, it makes dollars. Hard for me to see how anyone with average or above intelligence could disagree.

First I'm a "moron" and now in a backhanded way, I'm of less than average intelligence.

I simply pointed out my thought process and what lead me to that thought process. I asked you to explain your thought process and instead of reciprocating in kind, you went on the defensive. Three people have pointed out why "your logic" didn't make sense to them, and you've yet to explain it to anyone. I guess its easier to call people morons than help educate them, huh?

I'll give you "my logic" on this situation. I don't think you're a thief. I do think your refusal to answer my reasonable questions & your intense defensiveness towards me is very telling of you. ;)

Charlie Hustle
05-07-2009, 01:13 PM
I love the fact that the matches are usually on weekdays, not weekends. I work Sunday-Thursday, and from 3pm-11pm. And, Im able to watch the matches at work. You cant beat getting paid to watch pool. ;)

watchez
05-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Well, yesterday I finally had a chance to purchase and watch a TAR ppv. It was fun for the most part, but I really don't see myself purchasing another match on a weeknight. Nothing to do with the quality, it was great. Except, it is during a weeknight where I love to watch NBA playoffs or MLB. I really just don't see myself turning down those games, which I watch for free (part of cable bill). Yesterday, I purchased the ppv just to see what it was like, and for the most part I was watching the NBA playoffs and switched over to TAR during commercials. I was just wondering if I was alone or whether more people fit in this case? I was thinking if the match was held during a weekend, it may get much more viewers. I know its tough enough organizing these events, and I may just be too picky.

So let me fully understand -

First you say you finally had a chance to watch & purchase a TAR event. And this happened during the week. Many TAR PPV events have happened over the weekend but you never had the chance to watch and purchase them.

Then you state:

During the week you love to watch NBA playoffs or MLB.

But on the weekend, you would like to watch TAR.

Are there not NBA playoff or MLB games on the weekend?

Also, you switched over to TAR during commercials? I assume that you were watching the TAR broadcast thru your TV? How about using your laptop and your TV at the same time.

To answer your question - if this is your line of thinking, then yes - you are alone.

Zbotiman
05-07-2009, 01:37 PM
I'd like to ask you, if you have any ideas on how to make money on either recording pool matches or PPV? The advertising, in network T.V. pays for the costs of producing the events to be shown live, or recording them. There literally is no money in the pool world to generate advertising dollars to offset the extreme costs of all that is involved in the production and post production required to bring out high-quality DVD's.At this time PPV is not generating the required dollars either. I happen to work for the original pool-production company, and as we speak, there are at least two groups of people trying to find ways to generate capitol to record more pool challenge matches. The TAR people are bringing forth product that, I think, as a sport, we are lucky to even have.

UrackmIcrackm
05-07-2009, 01:48 PM
The reason I think it doesn't make sense to record it is because you would have to sit and watch the whole thing anyways (which you said you don't have time to do). With that being said, not being interested in the DVD is the part that really doesn't make any sense to me. That's all.

Did you happen to get an answer to your question via PM?

I did and it was a real eye opener. I learned alot. :help:
I did educate you, you just choose not to accept reality. That's not my problem

LOL, all I did was ask a couple of questions and I'm a moron with less than average intelligence who apparently is going be getting worthless PM's because of it.

BVal
05-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Did you happen to get an answer to your question via PM?

I did and it was a real eye opener. I learned alot. :help:

LOL, all I did was ask a couple of questions and I'm a moron with less than average intelligence who apparently is going be getting worthless PM's because of it.
I did get an answer via PM and he was very kind and I now understand where he is coming from. I don't come from the same place he does but I am able to see why he feels the way he does and there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone is different. :)

BVal

UrackmIcrackm
05-07-2009, 01:55 PM
I did get an answer via PM and he was very kind and I now understand where he is coming from. I don't come from the same place he does but I am able to see why he feels the way he does and there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone is different. :)

BVal

Glad you got an actual answer.

beav99_4life
05-07-2009, 02:05 PM

This entire statement only shows that you want something for free. The fee you pay for the streams is for the opportunity to watch the event live and for the chat room, which many people like as much as the matches themselves. By saying you want to record them to watch them when you want, but have no interest in the DVD's only means you don't want to pay. Its this mentality that just boggles my mind.

MikeM
05-07-2009, 02:17 PM
This entire statement only shows that you want something for free. The fee you pay for the streams is for the opportunity to watch the event live and for the chat room, which many people like as much as the matches themselves. By saying you want to record them to watch them when you want, but have no interest in the DVD's only means you don't want to pay. Its this mentality that just boggles my mind.

As others have stated there are companies that will provide access to the "stream" after it is shown live for a certain period of time. I think this would be a great thing for TAR to offer at some point as well. You still pay for the stream, but have flexibility on when to watch. I buy most of the TAR ppvs and rarely see more than 50% of the match. It would be great if I could log in in the morning, as that is when I have the most available time, and be able to watch what I missed after I fell asleep.

For this match, I watched hockey and basketball on the TV with my laptop on the coffee table. Worked great.

TAR is still the best thing since sliced bread!!!

MM

Road Warrior
05-07-2009, 02:30 PM

BVal

I see the original posters point about being able to record the stream and watch it at his own pace, the logic is spot on the money if you ask me, I've been waiting for the gabe owen tony chohan 1 pocket challenge match to come out on dvd ever since it happened. If they had had the option to purchase the stream as it was happening and also the option to buy it so you can watch it at your own pace (Say over a week period before you lose the option to see it) I would have seen it already and would have bought the dvd when it came out also (I love watching and rewatching great matches)

BVal
05-07-2009, 02:36 PM
I see the original posters point about being able to record the stream and watch it at his own pace, the logic is spot on the money if you ask me, I've been waiting for the gabe owen tony chohan 1 pocket challenge match to come out on dvd ever since it happened. If they had had the option to purchase the stream as it was happening and also the option to buy it so you can watch it at your own pace (Say over a week period before you lose the option to see it) I would have seen it already and would have bought the dvd when it came out also (I love watching and rewatching great matches)
I talked with the Dr. via PM and I now have an understanding where he is coming from and see his point.

Thanks,

BVal

JB Cases
05-07-2009, 02:46 PM
If you got a call from a buddy that Dennis Hatch & Darren Appleton were down at your local poolhall playing a match for $40,000...would you hang up & keep watching your NBA game--or--would you make tracks for the car keys? I know what I would do!

The way I look at it is TAR brings a hell of a product that everyone *says* they want, but as soon as they pipe it directly into your home for a modest fee...people kinda get weird about it. It's on too late, its on during the week, its hard on my Mac, its spread over 3 days?, its not free?,...blah, blah, blah.

I understand your point Mark, you like pro basketball and baseball more than pro pool. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just glad you bought the ppv, it keeps TAR in action for a while longer. I hope "longer" is many, many years!

Actually, the answer would be it depends on what is going on in my life as to whether I could just free up hours and days going to sweat a pool match. I have received that call in the past and had to pass because something more important was going on in my life.

The fact is that TAR puts on pool the way we all say is the best way to find out who the best player between two combatants is, long races spread out over multiple days. But in fact it's very very very difficult for anyone who works and has a family to sit down and view that format all the way through.

I have purchased several TAR broadcasts and I have never been able to watch every frame of every game due to time constraints, never mind the occasional connectivity issues that TAR can't do anything about. But even when I was in the USA and watching I couldn't devote 8 hours a day to watching pool.

As to whether the matches are scheduled against other programming. That is the least of TAR's concerns at this point. Pool players tend to want to get it on when they feel like it and TAR complies - it's LIVE and in REAL TIME. You want to watch something else then do it but live pool is right there for you so don't complain. You can tape the game.

On another note - I am glad to see that Morris and Bartram are coming up.

I really MISS the TAR announcements in the main forum. I can't stand having to go to 20 forums for news like this. Upcoming events should always get a thread in the main forum. If Dragon Promotions can make an announcement every time a player is thinking about possibly playing in an event that they hold then why can't TAR and others post a note in the main forum?

JB Cases
05-07-2009, 03:01 PM

I don't entirely agree with this. I am one of those who would love to be able to get the stream at a later time when "I" have time. I do not buy DVDs of anything anymore because I can't stand to haul them around everywhere. I like the way Accu-Stats does it with the PPV on Demand.

I have purchased several matches this way and enjoyed them.

The word for wanting to watch tv content at the time that suits you is called "timeshifting" and it was born with the VCR and has become habit for anyone with a DVR like TIVO. People record their favorite tv shows, they watch video on the web, they even watch shows in short clips 10 minutes at a time as they are found on YouTube.

Not offering viewers that same experience is a little behind the times. It's obviously technically possible since Accu-Stats does it.

I am one of those people as well who always has technical problems getting the live stream. This applies to TAR and just about any other live streaming. Why? I don't know and have pretty much given up. But for some reason I can get pre-recorded streams pretty well. So for a customer like me having content-on-demand for a fee would increase the revenue for the content provider.

As for the ability to record a live stream. That exists right now so that's a moot point. It take ten minutes of googling to figure out how to do it. It's not illegal to record anything you want to for your own personal use i.e. viewing at a later time, so the ability to do it comes from each user and is not provided by the content provider.

The UFC doesn't send you a TIVO so you can record the PPV matches.

I can't record live streams because my bandwidth isn't consistent enough for them to stay connected or I would.

Anyway, that's my 2cts on the subject -

Sweet Marissa
05-07-2009, 05:43 PM
It's the same thing watching tv or anything else you have the option of doing. Sometimes you're going to have to pick which one you'd rather watch. People complain about not enough pool being televised... well, TAR is one alternative. I'd rather watch pool than basketball myself :)

JimS
05-08-2009, 04:25 AM

I dont' know about it being picky. Seems to me you don't like pool as much as watchin the other stuff. So be it.

I'll take the pool over anything else anytime.

It's just the ole 'different strokes....' thing.

Cornerman
05-08-2009, 05:05 AM
I was just wondering if I was alone or whether more people fit in this case? I was thinking if the match was held during a weekend, it may get much more viewers. I know its tough enough organizing these events, and I may just be too picky.Although I question your reasoning (sports are on weekends, too) and your watching organization (I watched on my laptop while watching the Celtics) I agree with others that in the future of TAR, a delayed broadcast for purchase would be an excellent source of revenue while bringing the broadcast to more people. This leads to even further word-of-mouth advertising and then further revenue. However, this takes capital and a lot of bandwidth. So, if it can happen, it's not until the future.

I don't agree about the (easy) ability to record it as the DVD sales are part of their business model. For example, some of the PPV boxing matches out there on TV, what percentage of those (dollar-wise) will have DVD sales? Nearly zero, I think. What other PPV is out there that rely on DVD sales as well? Maybe there's a precedence, but I can't think of one at the moment.

Fred

Thecoats
05-08-2009, 05:15 AM
DVD Sales are a big part of the business model and pool is one of the few sports that you can really learn a lot from watching matches over and over, especially one pocket and straight pool as they both have many nuances. Because pool is played in a static space, people of lesser skill (me) can learn a lot from watching skilled players on DVDs (Cliff, Shannon, Parica) because I can learn their one pocket moves. I could sit and watch continuous reruns of the Masters and the only areas I can probably learn anything applicable to my game from Tiger and Phil are in the short game. Because, I will hardly ever be playing the game from the same places off the tee and with the same irons on approach on the same golf courses.

All that being said, I do like the option to purchase two viewings of a match from Pat at Accu-stats and watch them whenever I want. But, having the option to watch the big matches on PPV while they happen is incredible.

-don

JB Cases
05-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Although I question your reasoning (sports are on weekends, too) and your watching organization (I watched on my laptop while watching the Celtics) I agree with others that in the future of TAR, a delayed broadcast for purchase would be an excellent source of revenue while bringing the broadcast to more people. This leads to even further word-of-mouth advertising and then further revenue. However, this takes capital and a lot of bandwidth. So, if it can happen, it's not until the future.

I don't agree about the (easy) ability to record it as the DVD sales are part of their business model. For example, some of the PPV boxing matches out there on TV, what percentage of those (dollar-wise) will have DVD sales? Nearly zero, I think. What other PPV is out there that rely on DVD sales as well? Maybe there's a precedence, but I can't think of one at the moment.

Fred

Just like AccuStats you can buy the matches for limited viewing on the web or you can purchase them in DVD format. I still have a whole bunch - probably $500 or more in Accustats tapes and probably $300 in DVDs. I gave more than that away.

If I really wanted to own the TAR matches then I would buy them. But for me I just want to enjoy the match one time and preferably when I can watch it on my schedule.

Now this is my particular need and I know others have it as well.

As to the bandwidth requirement I don't think that this is really an issue as presumably whoever would be ordering the viewings would effectively be paying for the bandwidth.

Perhaps it's a storage issue as I can think that a match which lasts 30 hours is an awful lot of gigabytes. Maybe the answer there is to break it down into sections that are allowable and manageable by the content hosts.

Anyway, the new TAR broadcast looks SUPER!!! Two cameras, scoreboard - big action - the nuts!!!