PDA

View Full Version : need jr national sponsor

9ball
05-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Hi everyone! Well I am glad to say my son Manny Perez has qualified for the 19th Annual VNEA International Jr Pool Championships to be held in Lincoln Nebraska on June 25th.

Manny just turned 11 this past month an is showing a lot of promise.

Unfortunately He broke his predator 314/2 shaft , and He is in desperate need of a new or used cue, So we are looking for a cue sponsor for him.

I am not able to afford to buy him a new cue myself. I am trying to scrape the money together to get him to this International event.

He finished first in his division here at shooters in olathe ks. He consistently scored 60 out of a possible 60 point total, In his weekly qualifying rounds

This kid has talent He is already beating men older than him on a consistent basis in tournament play.

Manny needs an wants to be at this International event and needs some help to get there .

Any help would be greatly appreciated, .

I will try and post some new footage of his play when I can. below is his match with Mike banks jr back in dec. 08.

He has really blossomed into a player and continues to improve.

Thanks H.P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3xs2f1tCB8&feature=quicklist

selftaut
05-08-2009, 05:56 AM
He has no cue at all now? how in the world did he break his shaft?

back2good1
05-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Hi everyone! Well I am glad to say my son Manny Perez has qualified for the 19th Annual VNEA International Jr Pool Championships to be held in Lincoln Nebraska on June 25th.

Unfortunately He broke his predator 314/2 shaft , and He is in desperate need of a new or used cue, So we are looking for a cue sponsor for him.

I am not able to afford to buy him a new cue myself. I am trying to scrape the money together to get him to this International event.

He finished first in his division here at shooters in olathe ks. He consistently scored 60 out of a possible 60 point total, In his weekly qualifying rounds

This kid has talent He is already beating men older than him on a consistent basis in tournament play.

Manny needs an wants to be at this International event and needs some help to get there .

I will try and post some new footage of his play when I can. below is his match with Mike banks jr back in dec. 08.

Thanks H.P.

Hey H.P.... where are you from?

9ball
05-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi! I`m from kansas city. Play out at shooters in Olathe Ks.

9ball
05-09-2009, 11:33 AM
He has no cue at all now? how in the world did he break his shaft?

He broke the shaft while breaking. It just shattered, He has a very good break.

At the time he did not have a break cue.

Thanks H.P.

9ball
05-09-2009, 05:53 PM
bump for the evening:wink:

macguy
05-09-2009, 07:16 PM

Thanks H.P.

He should earn the money. I don't think asking for charity for something like this sends the right message. He can come up with the money if it is important. Maybe a garage sale or work in the neighborhood. Asking strangers for money, I don't know about that. It's not like he needs it for an operation. He needs to learn you work for what you want.

ForumGhost516
05-09-2009, 07:31 PM
In all honesty I see nothing wrong with this. If some of our biggest players in the world have backers or sponsors I dont se why some of our smaller ones cant also. Wouldn't you say that someone like Johnny Archer Mika Thorsten or Yu Ram Cha would be doing the same thing by seeking sponsorship? I see nothing wrong with it personally so long as the cue is going to be used as intended in the post not for him to just go shooting with. This seems like an easily validated reason.

JDB
05-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Thanks H.P.

I have a predator 314 shaft that I bought several years ago that I don't use. You can have it if you want it.

PM me your address if you want it and I will send it to you. I don't know the different joint types, but I believe it is one of the most common types. It fits most of my cues and is a metal on metal joint.

Let me know and I can send it to you within the next week or so.

Thanks.

filluptieu
05-09-2009, 07:49 PM
i beleive macguy is correct, you have to remember he is really young, and if you teach him this right now it will give him a different outlook in life when he does not have money.trust me, im on his side (poor college student) so I hate it that I am poor and would dream of having funds given to me, but I know in the long run it will make me stronger.

Varney Cues
05-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I have a predator 314 shaft that I bought several years ago that I don't use. You can have it if you want it.

PM me your address if you want it and I will send it to you. I don't know the different joint types, but I believe it is one of the most common types. It fits most of my cues and is a metal on metal joint.

Let me know and I can send it to you within the next week or so.

Thanks.

If it does not fit his cue...I will make it fit...no charge.:)

ForumGhost516
05-09-2009, 10:51 PM
If it does not fit his cue...I will make it fit...no charge.:)

As always Varney is a class act. Good form Sir.

Charlie

9ball
05-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks to all who wish to help out. Manny and I do appreciate any help at all. Thanks

H.P.

9ball
05-10-2009, 11:25 AM
In all honesty I see nothing wrong with this. If some of our biggest players in the world have backers or sponsors I dont se why some of our smaller ones cant also. Wouldn't you say that someone like Johnny Archer Mika Thorsten or Yu Ram Cha would be doing the same thing by seeking sponsorship? I see nothing wrong with it personally so long as the cue is going to be used as intended in the post not for him to just go shooting with. This seems like an easily validated reason.

Thanks for your support on this. You said exctly what I would. Thanks

H.P.

berry
05-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Nothing wrong with sponsering the youth.

Yall support the "old" players but the future must come from the youth.

So common people donate some money, materials and or moral support.

JAM
05-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Nothing wrong with sponsering the youth.

Yall support the "old" players but the future must come from the youth.

So common people donate some money, materials and or moral support.

I live your posting accent! ;)

I think, though, you mean "so come on people" not "so common people." :grin-square:

And I also agree with what you are saying! :)

Sore_Aintya
05-10-2009, 01:40 PM
There isn't anything wrong with asking - "never hurts to ask" right?

Times are tough right now, some more so then for others. Couple years ago (when I posted more frequently) I remember one young poster and his mother had a pay-pal site to help fund his trip to nationals. If I recall, he didn't get a free ride from those of us that donated, but every little bit helped I am sure.

I watched the video of the 1 pocket match, not bad considering you say he just learned the game weeks prior. Looks like he was playing smarter then some of the older players I have seen. :thumbup:

JDB
05-10-2009, 07:00 PM
There isn't anything wrong with asking - "never hurts to ask" right?

Times are tough right now, some more so then for others. Couple years ago (when I posted more frequently) I remember one young poster and his mother had a pay-pal site to help fund his trip to nationals. If I recall, he didn't get a free ride from those of us that donated, but every little bit helped I am sure.

I watched the video of the 1 pocket match, not bad considering you say he just learned the game weeks prior. Looks like he was playing smarter then some of the older players I have seen. :thumbup:

I had offered to send my predator shaft previously; however, in exchanging PMs we found that the joint was not the same.

However, I found an old Joss cue that I was not using that fit the Predator. Therefore, I am sending Hector's son my Joss cue with the original shaft as well as the predator shaft for his use.

Just wanted to let everyone know that he would have a cue for the Nationals.

poolcuemaster
05-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Thats a very nice jesture JDB and Kevin offering the free joint work as well, good shootin Manny.--Leonard

Sore_Aintya
05-10-2009, 07:57 PM
What a generous guy, Rep for you for that!
Only on AZ would you see that kind of (hate to use the word) charity.

Who says pool players are about of seedy characters.:wink:

9ball
05-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I had offered to send my predator shaft previously; however, in exchanging PMs we found that the joint was not the same.

However, I found an old Joss cue that I was not using that fit the Predator. Therefore, I am sending Hector's son my Joss cue with the original shaft as well as the predator shaft for his use.

Just wanted to let everyone know that he would have a cue for the Nationals.

Your a class act JDB, I will let Mannny know. He will sure want to thank you also. Thanks again H.P.

Thanks to everyone for your help and all moral support.

Believe me the one pocket video clip does not do justice to this young mans shooting. He is learning all games rapidly!

He just beat George Breedlove in a sucide race to two in nineball on a 7 ft diamond a few weeks back. Both he and Jeanette Lee were both amazed at his playing.

Don`t get me wrong he still needs a lot of work but what I`m saying is any sponsor won`t be disappointed in this young man.

Well thanks for letting this dad brag on ,I just thank those who support him and all other youth. Thanks again everyone.

H.P.

ForumGhost516
05-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Congrats glad to see this have a happy ending. Shoot well Manny and make us proud.

Trevorkian
05-10-2009, 10:41 PM

Thanks H.P.

I played in the BCA junior nationals back in the early 90's. There were 2 of us who qualified and we were lucky enough to get sponsorship by our local pool room....raffles, money jars..etc. I dunno. Maybe a local poolhall in KS may do the same? I get knocks on my door from kids asking for money for thier little league baseball team....I never give em anything lol, but I'm sure they get it somewhere else.

berry
05-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Kudo's for JDB!

(And for the record, this things are not only on AZ, I have seen more charity for youth on pool websites).

9ball
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Well its been three weeks and We are still trying to find a cue for Manny,To use at the VNEA JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS , We had a couple of offers but sill have not heard back . Manny desperately needs a cue or a Predator 314 unilock shaft to play with. If you can help out please let us know ASAP!

Right now he`s practicing with a beat up cue. And it just breaks my heart to see him with that ,Knowing I can`t afford a new cue or shaft.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Hector Perez

P.S. The cue Manny is holding is my pechauer with ob1 shaft I traded for , if anyone is interested in that I will sell or trade for a cue for Manny . thanks H.P.

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo332/webbtrekker3/mannys%20pic/mannyspicandfri9ball030.jpg

JDB
06-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Well its been three weeks and We are still trying to find a cue for Manny,To use at the VNEA JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS , We had a couple of offers but sill have not heard back . Manny desperately needs a cue or a Predator 314 unilock shaft to play with. If you can help out please let us know ASAP!

Right now he`s practicing with a beat up cue. And it just breaks my heart to see him with that ,Knowing I can`t afford a new cue or shaft.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Hector Perez

P.S. The cue Manny is holding is my pechauer with ob1 shaft I traded for , if anyone is interested in that I will sell or trade for a cue for Manny . thanks H.P.

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo332/webbtrekker3/mannys%20pic/mannyspicandfri9ball030.jpg

Hector,

What happened with the custom cue that was offered for Manny?

RBC
06-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Hector,

Give me a call tomorrow.

I am sure that we can work something out to get Manny taken care of.

877-399-9901

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

9ball
06-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Hector,

What happened with the custom cue that was offered for Manny?

I have not heard from the builder. So I have to move on as time is running out. and I would like to get him enough time to practice with any cue he does get.

Thanks H.P.

9ball
06-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Hector,

Give me a call tomorrow.

877-399-9901

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Thanks RBC I`ll be sure to do that!

Thanks

H.P.

KillerCane
06-04-2009, 04:54 PM
He should earn the money. I don't think asking for charity for something like this sends the right message. He can come up with the money if it is important. Maybe a garage sale or work in the neighborhood. Asking strangers for money, I don't know about that. It's not like he needs it for an operation. He needs to learn you work for what you want.

???? and when your kids school needs donations for books you tell the kids to work harder for it? you really thought that one all the way through. the kid needs a cue for a big tourny. make a little kid happy.

thanks to everyone that helped. i wish i could have.

9ball
06-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Hector,

Give me a call tomorrow.

877-399-9901

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Thanks to Royce Bunnell of OB cues Manny will have a playing cue. Thanks again Royce for your kindness and generosity.

Manny Perez
Hector perez

watchez
06-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks to Royce Bunnell of OB cues Manny will have a playing cue. Thanks again Royce for your kindness and geneorosity.

Manny Perez
Hector perez

Hector - I have seen your son play in Olathe - he even got Justin to practice with him for awhile one night, and that is hard to do.

Best of luck to him and let everyone know how he fares.

bignasty
06-05-2009, 02:55 PM
let me know if manny needs anything else! 1-605-310-4760 i have some stuff laying around! hope you didnt have the guy from kc build mannys cue i still dont have mine! be good hector! tell manny big chad says hey!:thumbup:

Trigger
06-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I play with manny out at shooters frequently and i cannot say enough about him. The best thing is that he has the drive to play pool. A little story to tell his commitment to pool. he spent his last 50 dollars to play in the one pocket in the last midwest 9 ball instead of buying a new video game he really wanted. so 5 of us out at shooters all chipped in 10 dollars and bought him the video game. pretty neat kid if you ask me with all the drive in the world to become a champion! Go get em manny!

RBC
06-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Hector,

Thanks for calling me this morning!

Manny has a new 108 series cue on its way to him with an OB-2 cue shaft!

Let me know what he thinks about it!

I am very happy to help out.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

WINTHEDAY14
06-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Glad to see that there are still great people in this world!!!

9ball
06-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and support. I wiil keep everyone up on how he fares in at The VNEA junior championships.

Here are some links to more of his play at shooters in olathe. He plays against the men without any fear. He loves to play and will ask anyone who comes in town for a game or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYFZe3A87CM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UERsr-zBY

frankwhite
06-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and support. I wiil keep everyone up on how he fares in at The VNEA junior championships.

Here are some links to more of his play at shooters in olathe. He plays against the men without any fear. He loves to play and will ask anyone who comes in town for a game or two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYFZe3A87CM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UERsr-zBY

This is a great story, and a really nice turnout. I hope your son does "GREAT", he is the future of our wonderful sport.
And to OB Cues, you just took my respect for your company up a few nachezz...Great Job!!!! :thumbup:

mnorwood
06-05-2009, 05:33 PM

:thumbup2: In that case the same should go for any pro player asking for a hand out to cover traveling expenses and entry fees. If road players want to gamble they should raise their own money. Chris Bartram should do a car wash or something. The only thing all great pool players have in common is that they are either independently wealthy or they have a wealthy backer. Mr. Payat is a prime example.

No one does anything by themselves especially kids.

9ball
06-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Hector - I have seen your son play in Olathe - he even got Justin to practice with him for awhile one night, and that is hard to do.

Best of luck to him and let everyone know how he fares.

watchez, I remember that. Manny had a great time with Justin. Manny was just starting to play back then. He is really improving fast. Thanks to Justin for giving Manny the time and drive to be as good as he is.

Hector

Freddie O
06-06-2009, 01:35 AM
I don't know why this thread rubs me the wrong way....it just does. It sounds alot like begging for money to me....similar to the 700 club.

I think if you want sponsorship, you should ask for it from your hometown supporters or maybe the local pool hall he plays in (people who actually know him). Not from people on the internet. I know it's not a scam, but it doesn't sound like the right way to go.

Freddie O
06-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Wow....is everyone a sucker for kids?

Ask Trick Daddy for some cheese. Trick luvs tha kidz.

rackmsuckr
06-07-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't know why this thread rubs me the wrong way....it just does. It sounds alot like begging for money to me....similar to the 700 club.

I think if you want sponsorship, you should ask for it from your hometown supporters or maybe the local pool hall he plays in (people who actually know him). Not from people on the internet. I know it's not a scam, but it doesn't sound like the right way to go.

Hi Freddie,

I can appreciate your line of thinking, but as a pool player AND a parent, I know that level of passion you have for the game is something that you can pass on to your kids. And when your child achieves something, there is nothing you as a parent wouldn't do to help your child realize that dream to go further.

Hometown supporters may also be an avenue he could explore, but who better to appeal to than other pool players that share that passion? Seems reasonable to me. Who else would have the knowledge about cues and the struggles it takes to get to the top?

And there are people on here that do have extra cues laying around that could be put to better use. Also people with big, generous hearts. If you don't ask, who's going to know?

I would love to help more, but I would give a small donation to help his cause. Do you have a Paypal account set up so I could send something? PM me with the info so I don't forget!

9ball
06-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Hi Freddie,

I can appreciate your line of thinking, but as a pool player AND a parent, I know that level of passion you have for the game is something that you can pass on to your kids. And when your child achieves something, there is nothing you as a parent wouldn't do to help your child realize that dream to go further.

Hometown supporters may also be an avenue he could explore, but who better to appeal to than other pool players that share that passion? Seems reasonable to me. Who else would have the knowledge about cues and the struggles it takes to get to the top?

And there are people on here that do have extra cues laying around that could be put to better use. Also people with big, generous hearts. If you don't ask, who's going to know?

I would love to help more, but I would give a small donation to help his cause. Do you have a Paypal account set up so I could send something? PM me with the info so I don't forget!

Hi! Thanks for your interest in helping out.

Hector Perez

Freddie O
06-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Hi Freddie,

Nice post. Although I'm not a parent, I can relate to being a junior national participant. I remember how much pressure I went through and how nervous I was with my mom watching me.

While I was writing my original post, I fealt like I'd take some internet heat since everyone was so charitable. I think one other person had the same view as me.

Don't get me wrong! This man and his son sound like good people, and I wish him luck in the juniors. I just feel like the internet isn't the place to be asking for donations. If I lived in his hometown, I'm sure I would help in any way I could on his path to success.

daphish1
06-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Nice post. Although I'm not a parent, I can relate to being a junior national participant. I remember how much pressure I went through and how nervous I was with my mom watching me.

While I was writing my original post, I fealt like I'd take some internet heat since everyone was so charitable. I think one other person had the same view as me.

Don't get me wrong! This man and his son sound like good people, and I wish him luck in the juniors. I just feel like the internet isn't the place to be asking for donations. If I lived in his hometown, I'm sure I would help in any way I could on his path to success.

I wouldn't qualify AZ as being the "internet". It's a community of pool players and companies in the pool business. There have been many pro level players who received sponsorship thru the site. I don't see anything wrong with a junior level player looking for support from our community here. Nice to see OB stepping up to support youth pool :thumbup:

Freddie O
06-07-2009, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't qualify AZ as being the "internet". It's a community of pool players and companies in the pool business. There have been many pro level players who received sponsorship thru the site. I don't see anything wrong with a junior level player looking for support from our community here. Nice to see OB stepping up to support youth pool :thumbup:

Well, you make a decent point. I'd definitely say that AZ is a better place to post than Craigslist. lol. I still believe what I believe.

Pro level/junior level....doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me.

themack
06-08-2009, 01:27 AM
What's wrong with using a house cue for a tournament? It's what i used when i was 11 or 12.

rackmsuckr
06-08-2009, 05:59 AM
What's wrong with using a house cue for a tournament? It's what i used when i was 11 or 12.

A house cue is not pro-tapered and usually does not break down for travel. Also, were you competing at a national or international level at 11 or 12?

BTW, if anyone wants to contribute monetarily, the Paypal address to send to is webbtrekker2@aol.com. :thumbup:

RBC
06-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind posts!

And yes, Freddie O, I thank you too for speaking your mind.

There may be some negative sides to this situation, but in the end the positives are much much stronger. Not only for Manny, but also for junior pool.

Lets face it, we need more passionate junior players. Period! They are the future of our sport!

I am just glad to be able to help.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

9ball
06-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks to all of you for your support, Whether by kind words and understanding or monetery contribution. And a very special thanks to Royce Bunnell and OB cues for sponsoring Manny with a new OB cue.

This has been a tough road for Manny and myself. While the other kids we know of, seem to have everything already set for the trip to the Junior championships.

Manny and myself have had garage sales ,an fundrisers, and we are still seeking donations to help with this trip. I usually am not one to ask for help but I am doing this for my son.

We don`t expect everyone to pay for the whole trip just asking for a little help.

For those that did disagree with this post I ask you to not be so quick to judge, If you could walk a mile in my shoes I am sure you would see and understand where I am comming from.

If any wish to contribute to Mannys fund you may send it to the paypal account we set up, Thanks to the help of Rackmsuckr.

Thanks to all for your kindness and time.

Sincerly
Hector Perez

send to Paypl address mailto:webbtrekker2@aol.com

bignasty
06-08-2009, 04:39 PM
give me a call i was at work when you called the last time! hector is a great guy and manny is a fanatic for the sport and we need more people like them in our sport!:D

9ball
06-09-2009, 01:40 PM
give me a call i was at work when you called the last time! hector is a great guy and manny is a fanatic for the sport and we need more people like them in our sport!:D

Thanks for the kind words Big Nasty, I will call you tonight from shooters.

Thanks Hector

Anyone wishing to help can send
Paypal funds to webbtrekker2@aol.com

9ball
06-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind posts!

And yes, Freddie O, I thank you too for speaking your mind.

There may be some negative sides to this situation, but in the end the positives are much much stronger. Not only for Manny, but also for junior pool.

Lets face it, we need more passionate junior players. Period! They are the future of our sport!

I am just glad to be able to help.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Thanks To RBC of OB cues, Manny has a new cue to use at the junior championships.

Cue recieved yesterday! Thanks Royce! Manny was really happy to get this cue from you. Please send the OB patch so he can promote your cues if you wish. We would be very happy to promote your cues. Thanks again

Thanks
Hector Perez
Manny Perez

P.S. Thanks Mr. Bunnell I really enjoyed recieving the O.B.Cue, an O.B.2 shaft. I will do my best to make you all proud.

Manny Perez