PDA

View Full Version : playability of richard black cues

undertaker
05-08-2009, 05:21 AM
i know that he makes great collectors and very fancy cues, but how did his cues play? please tell me your opinions.
thank you

sfleinen
05-08-2009, 05:26 AM
i know that he makes great collectors and very fancy cues, but how did his cues play? please tell me your opinions.
thank you

"Playability"? Is that like those "grabbing-at-anything marketing" beer commercials? Oh, that was "drinkability" -- nevermind. :D

MikeMaaen
05-08-2009, 05:38 AM
I use my Black Baron every time I play and do so because of the balance and hit. I've played with many different types of cues over the years and the first time I picked up a Richard Black, many years ago, I knew I wanted one. I bought mine qite some time ago...15 years?? and paid $400 for it second hand. Dick refinished the cue and built me three additional shafts. Great playing cue!

dirtypool40
05-08-2009, 06:39 AM
I don't know when he fell out of favor, but back when I started, around 89 RB WAS the big name in cues, above Tim Scruggs, Mottey, and Southwest.

Miz played with one, and they had a Playboy bunny drape herself around an all ivory one in a centerfold.

I don't know what happened, he didn't go cheap cnc like Joss East, so it's a mystery to me, but I come back to the game 20 years later and it's like he's not "cool" anymore and his cues have fallen into the "solid but not high $$$ collector" range.

Great for the players, they ARE solid....

Cornerman
05-08-2009, 07:26 AM
thank youThe first time I hit with one was in '89-90. I thought it was the best hitting cue I'd played with. I was a poor college kid, so I couldn't afford the $400 price tag.

Fred <~~~ ouch

IbeAnEngineer
05-08-2009, 07:43 AM
I own an 85 model with a SS piloted joint and it plays fantastic. The shaft is a just a bit "whippyer" than my old Schon R1 if you need a benchmark. It is one of the few cues in my collection that I will never part with.

In my opinion, one of the things about Richard Black's Cues is that he does all types of joints and so many different styles of cues that he does not have a one "signature" hit. They all play well, some may play better than others depending on who you ask. His execution is top notch based on the cues that I have seen (I live in Houston and have played and seen a bunch of them). Over the years I think he has gotten more and more into the artistic side of cue-making. Combine that with the variability of the hits you get out of his cues he may not be as in vogue with the people who are looking for a great hitting cue and style/unique design is not as important. Another thing to think about is that the number of cue makers has grown enormously since the early to mid 80's. He may be as busy as ever, he just has dozens more competitors out there who have their supporters.

irish
05-08-2009, 08:09 AM
thank you

I picked mine up from Richard in 2001. Itís a solid hitting cue! Itís a great player, with a great balance...

Like other have said in this thread, donít know why his cues donít hold value very well. But he makes a great cue.

John

Pushout
05-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Richard's cues continue to be one of, if not the best hitting, steel jointed cues I've played with over the years. I have heard of quality issues over the last ten years or so, but nothing that the average good player would even notice. I closely inspect any cue I'm going to buy and I doubt I would find anything in a Richard Black that would turn me off, in my personal experience.

irish
05-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Richard's cues continue to be one of, if not the best hitting, steel jointed cues I've played with over the years. I have heard of quality issues over the last ten years or so, but nothing that the average good player would even notice. I closely inspect any cue I'm going to buy and I doubt I would find anything in a Richard Black that would turn me off, in my personal experience.

Well said! The last 10 years is just about right. He's about 78 or so?

On the steele joint, yes he does! His ivory and cape buffalo hord is top notch as well.

Just my .02

John

td873
05-08-2009, 05:57 PM
thank you
Mine is a player. Has been for years. Click the link in my sig to see mine.

Like Fred I hit with one long before I could afford one. No regrets. I still use it as my main player.

-td

TX Poolnut
05-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I've played two games of 8-ball with one of his level 1 cues. It felt very solid and my friend had been using it as a playing cue for several years. I am pretty sure it had one of the original shafts on it with an Everest tip.

DogsPlayingPool
05-09-2009, 01:54 AM
His recent induction to the ACA Hall of Fame hasn't hurt the values of his cues. ;)

ribdoner
05-09-2009, 08:59 AM
thank you

allow me to quote LONG DICKENS DADDY (LDD), "it was the best of times and the worst of times"...:

dr9ball
05-09-2009, 10:50 PM
My wife bought me a Richard Black for my birthday a couple of years ago. It's a sweet cue but I changed the tips out once I got it for something a little softer, then I liked the hit. As a player it's my 2nd favorite cue. My first choice is always my Jim Buss 8 pointer.

WalkerInTN
05-10-2009, 01:57 PM
I've always been very happy with the way Richard's cues play. I've been collecting Richard's cues for over 10 years & currently own over 50 of them, ranging from 1977 to 2009 (none of them for sale). I'm happy to say that I haven't found a bad one yet. My favorite playing Black cue, a 1979 4 point with no inlays, is my second favorite playing cue ever. For me I'd put it ahead of both of the Szambotis I own, & they're both great playing cues in their own right. :smile:

As for his newer cues not being as good, I'd disagree. I've played with numerous Black cues that were made in the past 10 years with no issues. One of my other favorite playing cues is one he made for me last year. It's an awesome playing cue & I wouldn't sell it for double what I paid for it. :cool:

But you know what they say, different strokes for different folks. :groucho:

Pushout
05-10-2009, 02:14 PM
As for his newer cues not being as good, I'd disagree. I've played with numerous Black cues that were made in the past 10 years with no issues.

But you know what they say, different strokes for different folks. :groucho:

I didn't personally have any issues, if you were referring to my post. The guy who stated that to me is an old and valued friend, but he is very picky, to put it mildly. He was concerned about stuff that most people wouldn't worry about.