PDA

View Full Version : johnny archer

augustine tan
05-08-2009, 07:08 AM
johnny have the rights to say that he will only gamble anyone on his home table,

but as one of the best pool players america ever produced,

dont you think he should remove this ruling?

and play on any table?

even earl dont say that he will only gamble in his own room.

Cornerman
05-08-2009, 07:21 AM
johnny have the rights to say that he will only gamble anyone on his home table,

and play on any table?

He might say this, but many of us have seen Johnny Archer gambling in different states.

Earl says he won't gamble at all! Yet he's played a few race to a hundred sets.

Fred

bfdlad
05-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Johnny will play at other places. The conditions have to be right though, just like almost everyother player who is getting into action. Not too long ago he played that 10 ahead set against I think it was Nevel at Nevel's pool room. So I guess what I am saying s he may look for the best conditions fr himself (Obviously) but it the conditions are close somewhere else he does not sem to have a problem playing elsewhere.

bfdlad
05-08-2009, 07:24 AM

and play on any table?

Now I think of it and not to ne rude but like Cornerman said he playes all over and has for years. I have no idea where you are coming up with this statement.

hangemhigh
05-08-2009, 07:26 AM
LOL, the undisputed heavyweight champ offers you a shot at the title and you are worried about the little things. Thats why you will not win, regardless of the conditions.

cbaumann212
05-08-2009, 07:28 AM
If Johnny Archer or even Donnie Mills, want ceratin conditions met before they lock up their money, then who are we to judge? Some are pickier than others, but if it's their money, they have the right.

PROG8R
05-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Johhny busted Nevel's ass a while ago on Nevel's table... in record time also.

Ste
05-08-2009, 07:32 AM
If Johnny Archer or even Donnie Mills, want ceratin conditions met before they lock up their money, then who are we to judge? Some are pickier than others, but if it's their money, they have the right.

You just can't argue with that statement.

Voodoo Daddy
05-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Cant blame anyone for wanting home cookin' but all that rack your own, raise the table 2.256 ", put the two and the five in the rear positions, only use master chalk in pink is weak IMO. Seen Archer gamble in a few spots so that guy got his wire crossed.

augustine tan
05-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Now I think of it and not to ne rude but like Cornerman said he playes all over and has for years. I have no idea where you are coming up with this statement.

over the other thread, 'the action room'- talking about johnny and shane for a long race.

users saying that johnny will only play in his own room.

johnny is one of the best players ever touch pool and still is.

bfdlad
05-08-2009, 07:52 AM
over the other thread, 'the action room'- talking about johnny and shane for a long race.

users saying that johnny will only play in his own room.

johnny is one of the best players ever touch pool and still is.
That match has been talked about for a while. I don't know everything but I think Archer does not want to play on buckets. I think he wants the conditions to be very hard with very tight pockets. People are going to talk all kinds of stuff about this match up. It would be great if it ever happens with the top 2 american players of today.

Bigjohn
05-08-2009, 07:53 AM
No............

Ironman317
05-08-2009, 08:53 AM
i think johnny has earned the right to say he will only play at his place. not saying everyone has to agree to it, but if he can get home-field advantage, why not? johnny has traveled and played plenty of people and only one person has really beaten him for the cash....and that was c.j. wiley.

tigerseye
05-08-2009, 10:02 AM
He might say this, but many of us have seen Johnny Archer gambling in different states.

Earl says he won't gamble at all! Yet he's played a few race to a hundred sets.

Fred

He wasn't able to gamble while under contract with cuetech....

tigerseye
05-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I know a table that is so tight and has high speed rails that even Archer would deter from playing on....

cbaumann212
05-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Cant blame anyone for wanting home cookin' but all that rack your own, raise the table 2.256 ", put the two and the five in the rear positions, only use master chalk in pink is weak IMO. Seen Archer gamble in a few spots so that guy got his wire crossed.

Not really sure if you can really call either of them weak until you're within at least 2 balls of their speed. And I doubt that you are.

floridaboy24
05-11-2009, 07:33 AM
From what i heard about Johnny and Shane matching up Johnny just didnt want it to be a breaking contest so he wanted really tight pockets so Shane would have to lock up with him in the thinking aspects of the game as well. I think its a great move for Johnny.

jrt30004
05-11-2009, 07:42 AM

and play on any table?

i don't get what the big deal is. if you want to go after a guy sometimes you have to go to his home turf. it may suck but when you're chasing that's what you do. it happens in all sports, sometimes you're the home team and sometimes you take to the road. someone like johnny doesn't need to beat anybody else for people to say he's one of the best, he's done that for a while - on alot of different tables. all of the up and coming guys do need to beat players like johnny to be able to say they've taken down the best and deserve thier spot amoung the elite. and if they did it on johnny's home table wouldn't that just support their claim of greatness? people need to stop b*tching stop trying to pull "moves" and start playing. it's no wonder pool in america is crap.

mikeyfrost
05-11-2009, 07:49 AM
Johnny likes 4" tight pockets, thats a fact jack. He's worked tirelessly at his game for so many years and he's seen players progress. There are so many guys that can make 4.5" pockets seem like buckets(they're great players), it's just Johnny wants to know that if he gets beat it is by a better player on that day. We all cringe when a guy runs out and every ball wipes its feet on the way in, or someone wins because a table is leaking, just take that out of the equation. I've never seen a table with 4" pockets personally, I just hear people talk about how they will kick your butt and make you feel like you have never played before if you arent in dead punch. Can't help it if Johnny wants people to have to play some pool to win not just be a great breaker or shot maker. I'd never try it if I was a player who didnt have something similar to practice on for a month or two though.

If we are being real though, there has to be easier action than Archer out there. If you want to play him just to play him go to an exhibition and hit the sign up sheet early. If you want to win money, well.....GOOD LUCK!

instroke75
05-11-2009, 07:53 AM
This is funny, all these people getting bent out of shape for players wanting to stay home and have the best conditions.
Haven't you heard the story of the old bull and the young bull. Young bull wants to run down the hill and catch a female, but the old bull wants to sit on top the hill and let them all come to him! They put the time in to get to that speed, and they earned the right to dictate the conditions(especially Johnny).

Johnny has other things going on, and probably doesn't feel the need to chase action all over the country!

Jeremy

Jayson
05-11-2009, 07:54 AM
There's no doubt about how well Johnny has played for years. He has played everywhere and beat almost everyone. The way pool is going and wat its turning into, you cant blame someone for tryin to get the most out of their money. Everyone wants some kind of advantage or they dont play. I miss the days where a fair game was made and whoever played the best won. Thats why i enjoy watching Bartram play so much, i think he's a true pool player and a gambler. If there were more people like him maybe pool wouldnt be in the shape it's in.

GMAC
05-11-2009, 07:59 AM
Johnny likes 4" tight pockets, thats a fact jack. He's worked tirelessly at his game for so many years and he's seen players progress. There are so many guys that can make 4.5" pockets seem like buckets(they're great players), it's just Johnny wants to know that if he gets beat it is by a better player on that day. We all cringe when a guy runs out and every ball wipes its feet on the way in, or someone wins because a table is leaking, just take that out of the equation. I've never seen a table with 4" pockets personally, I just hear people talk about how they will kick your butt and make you feel like you have never played before if you arent in dead punch. Can't help it if Johnny wants people to have to play some pool to win not just be a great breaker or shot maker. I'd never try it if I was a player who didnt have something similar to practice on for a month or two though.

If we are being real though, there has to be easier action than Archer out there. If you want to play him just to play him go to an exhibition and hit the sign up sheet early. If you want to win money, well.....GOOD LUCK!

The best of the best should play under the toughest conditions. Johnny will play Shane as long as the pockets are super tight. They are fighting over pocket size not his home table.

When you play on tables this tight the person with the best fundamentals and focus should win. Johnny feels like this is his strentgh and he is just playing to it. Shane pockets super clean and should not fear pockets this small, however I think he is concerned it will take away from his superior break. They are both just trying to protect their money. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Big Perm
05-11-2009, 08:02 AM
I've heard stories of Johnny being in action when he travels, so methinks the op's comment is inaccurate...

Second, the table and pockets are part of the negotiation....some people are monsters on a barbox with buckets, but put them on a 9 with tight pockets, and they are easy money....if he likes tight pockets, then I can see why this is part of his gamble....

Third, a true champion IMHO can play any game on any table at a high level....but that does not mean they can take any person at any game on any table....

the420trooper
05-11-2009, 08:07 AM
That match has been talked about for a while. I don't know everything but I think Archer does not want to play on buckets. I think he wants the conditions to be very hard with very tight pockets. People are going to talk all kinds of stuff about this match up. It would be great if it ever happens with the top 2 american players of today.

I think Johnny could make SVB hate pool if they played on 4' pockets...I've seen JA play on little bitty pockets, and he plays the same as he would on any table. If you take away 1/5 of most people's target area, they play a little worse....Johnny doesn't.

iba7467
05-11-2009, 08:51 AM
The best of the best should play under the toughest conditions. Johnny will play Shane as long as the pockets are super tight. They are fighting over pocket size not his home table.

Incorrect. The condition was definitely play close to home. He as said that he has no interest in travelling to play Shane nor to play him on a Diamond.

I am in no way saying that there is anything wrong with this. Johnny owns a business and is responsible for ensuring its viability. I know if I owned a room and knew my business might make a few extra thousand for hosting a match that I was involved in, I certainly would not play it anywhere else.

It is also hard for someone to fault Shane for not going into arguably the best American player's home room and play on his personal table with his entire home crowd betting on him ... of course, Shane could probably print his own money if he won.

crawfish
05-11-2009, 09:11 AM
And what's wrong with that? I only play on a 2 1/2 X 5 at the Quick Mart. Only with APA 3's or worse, and only on Thursdays. And if my white socks with the blue NIKE swooshes are dirty, you're gonna have to wait for the next load.

Big Perm
05-11-2009, 09:13 AM
And what's wrong with that? I only play on a 2 1/2 X 5 at the Quick Mart. Only with APA 3's or worse, and only on Thursdays. And if my white socks with the blue NIKE swooshes are dirty, you're gonna have to wait for the next load.

That sounds McNitty :D

crawfish
05-11-2009, 09:16 AM
That sounds McNitty :D

Called many things in my life, from a$$hole to MF. But "nit" ain't one of 'em.

Use that for your sig line.

mikeyfrost
05-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Called many things in my life, from a$$hole to MF. But "nit" ain't one of 'em.

Use that for your sig line.

McNitty would bet all you could stand son. Nevermind you're right he's a nit, never in action, won't bet a quarter he's white. Good post, I swear Nit is the second worst "N" word in the english language.

poolpimp13
05-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I think Johnny could make SVB hate pool if they played on 4' pockets...I've seen JA play on little bitty pockets, and he plays the same as he would on any table. If you take away 1/5 of most people's target area, they play a little worse....Johnny doesn't.

you got that right.and if they played9ball johnny would really make him hate pool.

TheWhiteEwok
05-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I think I heard of the SVB vs JA match when SVB was near - SVB walked into the hall (my local hall) saw the table JA wanted to play on and said "No thanks".

The table is as nasty as it comes for rails and pockets - the felt just needs to be given some old school lovin.

Dont know if it was the state of the felt or the pockets - but SVB passed.

donny mills
05-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Cant blame anyone for wanting home cookin' but all that rack your own, raise the table 2.256 ", put the two and the five in the rear positions, only use master chalk in pink is weak IMO. Seen Archer gamble in a few spots so that guy got his wire crossed.6'

Well I am 6'3 and I am guessing that im 6'4 with shoes. So when a table is low i sure as hell notice, and by the way the conditions that i play in can make as big of a difference as the 6 or the 7 ball in my opinion.

If you ever wanna learn something about pool for once in your life shoot me a pm. Have a nice day (:

Fatboy
05-14-2009, 10:12 PM
They will play, this year I think. It dosent have to be at JA's room, just a GC with 4" pockets, preferably in the carloinas or Ga.

I might not know much but I know ALOT about this topic.

Shane used to perfer Daimonds alot over GC's now he is more flexable. He liked my GC 5, the pocket size and schedual is the problem, they both travel ALOT, one of the 2 guys dosent want to match up at a tournment but just a match in a room-less fan fair, more pool. Its not about attention-its about earning a living. not a hobbie for either of them.

Shimmy
05-14-2009, 10:29 PM
I think Johnny has earned the right to dictate what he will and will not do. I presume he has more to deal with in his life than just playing pool. After all, he is a business man now.

Rubyron
05-14-2009, 10:35 PM
I just had the honor of playing Johnny a short race and all I can say is that I will challenge Johnny to a pie eating contest any day. :)

Tommy-D
05-14-2009, 11:51 PM
> This is all I have to say about the situation. If I was a 4 time World Champion,with 200 ball runs under my belt along with a documented 15 rack run,I wouldn't care if I had to go to someone's house,their home poolroom or the worst neighborhood in America,no living human would be barred,gaff table or not. That's just me. Tommy D.

predator
05-15-2009, 01:15 AM
I think Johnny is right to demand certain conditions. If you wanna beat me, come to me. After all, he doesn't have anything to prove to anyone.

JAM
05-15-2009, 01:20 AM
...they both travel ALOT, one of the 2 guys dosent want to match up at a tournment but just a match in a room-less fan fair, more pool. Its not about attention-its about earning a living. not a hobbie for either of them.

I understand that 1000 percent. When you travel to a tournament, you should put all of your energies in competing in the tournament. When you try to do too many other activites while at the tournament, your tournament play will definitely suffer. Most of the top players today will make sure they go to bed early, get plenty of sleep, eat well, and take care of their bodies, so that when they play in the tournament, they are feeling good.

I also can see how it would be much more comfortable to have them play in a room with less fan fare and more pool. Why dance like monkeys for the audience? Playing each other in the solitude of a quiet pool room, with good equipment, will allow each player to be the best that they can be.

Makes perfect sense to me! :)

mikeyfrost
05-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Look at it like the 3 point line in college basketball. The players got better so they moved the line farther from the basket, now you have to be able to shoot better to make the ball.

Guess what, poolplayers are getting better. We're talking top pros not short stops. You don't see PBA bowlers throwing on league pattern pins do you? You know why that is, that makes it a coin flip. A pure crap shoot makes it less about pool and more about the other things that shouldnt determine the winner of a match.

We all got to see a good example the last few days. What if Bartrum was playing these pros on a table with 4" pockets, I'll tell you what I guarantee those matches would have turned out different. CB plays 99% perfect for long periods of time on the equipment of his choice. Even pro cut diamonds have some extra fluff to them, we all know that. Now play on a table tight enough where you may normally fire at a ball, but on this table you have to play a safety. That's pool. It wont be a run out show or break contest, it will be a chess game at the highest level. JA doesnt have the nuts against SVB but what JA does have is more experience. I'd happily bet on JA if this went off because when you cant fire every ball in and have to put some thought to your entire game no one on the planet is gonna out move JA. OK I think I can lay this topic to bed in my own head now.

crawfish
05-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Look at it like the 3 point line in college basketball. The players got better so they moved the line farther from the basket, now you have to be able to shoot better to make the ball.

Guess what, poolplayers are getting better. We're talking top pros not short stops. You don't see PBA bowlers throwing on league pattern pins do you? You know why that is, that makes it a coin flip. A pure crap shoot makes it less about pool and more about the other things that shouldnt determine the winner of a match.

We all got to see a good example the last few days. What if Bartrum was playing these pros on a table with 4" pockets, I'll tell you what I guarantee those matches would have turned out different. CB plays 99% perfect for long periods of time on the equipment of his choice. Even pro cut diamonds have some extra fluff to them, we all know that. Now play on a table tight enough where you may normally fire at a ball, but on this table you have to play a safety. That's pool. It wont be a run out show or break contest, it will be a chess game at the highest level. JA doesnt have the nuts against SVB but what JA does have is more experience. I'd happily bet on JA if this went off because when you cant fire every ball in and have to put some thought to your entire game no one on the planet is gonna out move JA. OK I think I can lay this topic to bed in my own head now.

Johnny will absolutely slow you, safe you into submission. And don't think he can't fire them in, either. You guys must not be thinking back into the 90's when EVERYBODY was nervous when JA walked into the room. Think he just forgot how to play?

PROG8R
05-15-2009, 08:48 AM
I know I am going to lose on this, but I don't like SVB's side of it if these two play. When was the last time JA lost for the cash?

TheWhiteEwok
05-15-2009, 08:58 AM
I know I am going to lose on this, but I don't like SVB's side of it if these two play. When was the last time JA lost for the cash?

Dont know personally, but I heard a match of JA's at the hall - a guy named "Tennessee Hennessey" came down, and bet JA $3k race to 21 and i think 9 games on the wire.

4" pockets, super fast felt.

JA beat him 21-15, 36 games - JA missed 3 shots.

HAHA!

crawfish
05-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Seriously, can someone mention a losing venture by Johnny? Not one set, but an overall loss. I don't know of one for the cash.

Richardson
05-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Dont know personally, but I heard a match of JA's at the hall - a guy named "Tennessee Hennessey" came down, and bet JA $3k race to 21 and i think 9 games on the wire.

HAHA!

If he gave 9 on the wire, they only played 27 games, still an alright feat though :)

bfdlad
05-15-2009, 09:02 AM

HAHA!
Thats not bad at all is it? Man I can miss three shots in 1 rack :)

bfdlad
05-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Seriously, can someone mention a losing venture by Johnny? Not one set, but an overall loss. I don't know of one for the cash.
JA has never beaten me at 10 ball for the cheese.

Richardson
05-15-2009, 09:05 AM
JA has never beaten me at 10 ball for the cheese.

Because you've never played im guessing ;)

bfdlad
05-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Because you've never played im guessing ;)
If you are going to bring up the small details like this please keep your statements to yourself.
However you are right I never played him 10ball :)

Richardson
05-15-2009, 09:08 AM
If you are going to bring up the small details like this please keep your statements to yourself.
However you are right I never played him 10ball :)

OK IM SORRY MAN, i just wanted to be the first to say it :thumbup:

bfdlad
05-15-2009, 09:15 AM
OK IM SORRY MAN, i just wanted to be the first to say it :thumbup:
AH well, for about 45 seconds there I was Da Man until I got busted. :) I really don't know though when a REAL $$ game went down and JA didn't get the best of it. There has to be at least one though.

CreeDo
05-15-2009, 09:41 AM
I have footage of him doing a set with Corey a while ago, where corey is soft breaking on a cooperating table and making the exact same wing ball every time, like 30 out of 32 tries.

Johnny still wins! How strong is that?!

Shimmy
05-15-2009, 09:56 AM

Don't know the details or even it is true but I have heard that JA has not beaten C.J. Wiley in any set. Don't know if that is gambling or tournament or even if it is so. I will say that I have not heard anyone else mention this other than ironman317.

I would be curious to know if anyone can validate this either way.

Voodoo Daddy
05-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Not really sure if you can really call either of them weak until you're within at least 2 balls of their speed. And I doubt that you are.

I might not be sir...but you might get played :thumbup: on any sized table with any cueball and any cloth!!!

I wasnt calling either of them weak by no stretch of the imagination but their stipulations are...to me!!

Voodoo~~~not cheap but real easy

Voodoo Daddy
05-15-2009, 10:00 AM

He once played Frenchman Stefan Cohen 14.1 at the DCC a few yrs back. Was suppose to be two 150 point games for XXX amount. After Cohan put a 94 and out, sparks flew off JA's joint as he unscrewed. That the only loss I know of.

crawfish
05-15-2009, 10:05 AM
I will say that with two games and the seven, going to seven, I have a winning record. 1-0. (Local tournament 7-5.) With 3 games and the eight, I am exactly 1-4.

Oh yeah, I didn't shoot in one of those losses, and kicked exactly twice in another one.

Voodoo Daddy
05-15-2009, 10:29 AM
6'

Well I am 6'3 and I am guessing that im 6'4 with shoes. So when a table is low i sure as hell notice, and by the way the conditions that i play in can make as big of a difference as the 6 or the 7 ball in my opinion.

If you ever wanna learn something about pool for once in your life shoot me a pm. Have a nice day (:

<laughin> You play real good Donnie, we seen each other a few times in Florida, I just dont play tournaments anymore. Your 2 inch's shorter than me and at least 100lbs lighter...so please save all your tall stories. Id love to learn something from you, Im sure I could and I respect your opinion as a player but you really shouldnt be so rude not knowing who your ranting at.

YOU have a nice day too,
Big Steve from Miami

donny mills
05-15-2009, 04:13 PM
<laughin> You play real good Donnie, we seen each other a few times in Florida, I just dont play tournaments anymore. Your 2 inch's shorter than me and at least 100lbs lighter...so please save all your tall stories. Id love to learn something from you, Im sure I could and I respect your opinion as a player but you really shouldnt be so rude not knowing who your ranting at.

YOU have a nice day too,
Big Steve from Miami

Well I wasn't trying to be rude. You're the one that was saying negative things about my standards for playing a match.

If you are 6-5 or 6-6 and you weight 100 pounds more than I do then I guess you must stand differently than I do. I have a pretty long stance and I think that my long stance makes me feel like I am not a tall person when I play pool. So when a table is 2 inches lower my long stance no loner feels natural

stormshadow1
05-15-2009, 04:19 PM
i think johnny has earned the right to say he will only play at his place. not saying everyone has to agree to it, but if he can get home-field advantage, why not? johnny has traveled and played plenty of people and only one person has really beaten him for the cash....and that was c.j. wiley.
I agree he has earned that right play at his place one of the greatest 9-ball players alive.Interesting fact about c.j. wiley he was one of my favorite players when I was younger "Heartbreaker".My first nice cue was his McDermott still have it.What ever happen to him.I never saw him much after that incident with Earl and his prize money for running 10 racks.Hope he is still playing.

Voodoo Daddy
05-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Well I wasn't trying to be rude. You're the one that was saying negative things about my standards for playing a match.

If you are 6-5 or 6-6 and you weight 100 pounds more than I do then I guess you must stand differently than I do. I have a pretty long stance and I think that my long stance makes me feel like I am not a tall person when I play pool. So when a table is 2 inches lower my long stance no loner feels natural

Negative, Im not sure if it was, I think more of an opinion. I just came up at a time when there was the tables, balls, chalk and two guys willing to go at it. Im a caveman to modern ways...I guess.

No blood, no foul...good luck to ya.

Shimmy
05-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Donny, you look taller than 6' 3'' from the videos I have seen. I've got a friend of mine who is 6'6'' and he sure looks uncomfortable when bends down to shoot. There are 2 guys in the pool league I play in and one is 6'8 and the other is 7'. That would be like me squatting down and shooting on the floor.

Also, be glad you don't have a big belly to go with that height.

Shimmy
05-16-2009, 08:06 PM
I agree he has earned that right play at his place one of the greatest 9-ball players alive.Interesting fact about c.j. wiley he was one of my favorite players when I was younger "Heartbreaker".My first nice cue was his McDermott still have it.What ever happen to him.I never saw him much after that incident with Earl and his prize money for running 10 racks.Hope he is still playing.

Ironman's a straight up guy, very knowledgeble about pool. He told me that bit of trivia a few years ago and it surprised me also.

TX Poolnut
05-16-2009, 09:07 PM

Damn straight!