PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever hustled the hustler?

Johnny "V"
05-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Two stories from my past....

I was at a hall in California just banging some balls around waiting for my wife to finish shopping in a nearby store. This guy comes up and asks if I would like to play some cheap games. I said sure... He started the bet at 2 bucks a game. I beat him 4 games straight and he asked if I wanted to raise the bet and I said sure (hell I was playing with his money) I won 2 more games @ 5 bucks a game and he asks to raise the bet again. Just then my wife shows up and I told him that I had to leave. Wow was he pissed. I told him I was sorry but I had to go. I bought him a 2 dollar beer and walked away with 16 bucks to the good. (not alot but I was sure that I was on the brink of losing more than I had)

Another time was in my barracks in the military. A guy was playing 2 dollar games and was winning pretty much every match. He asked if I wanted to play. I told him it was late and I would play him for 20 bucks. The look on his face was of surprise and fear. He reluctantly agreed and quit after the first game. I went back to my room with smokes money.

(Guess I should have lied about the dollar amounts but I am too honest to a fault)

I would like to hear more stories.

JV

CamposCues
05-08-2009, 07:58 AM
I tried a couple times...but it turns out I suck:eek:

ShootingArts
05-08-2009, 08:31 AM
I never raised the bet myself. Those that kept stalling and raising the bet usually found that they had a tiger by the tail when they got ready to start winning though.

One of the funniest things I did was a bit different than usual. The guy was a little obnoxious and treated me with a bit of contempt. Usually a recipe for an ass whipping back then but I had another idea that struck me as funny. He lost about a hundred massaging the bet to where he wanted it then with the last raise of the bet I saw that slight change in manner that told me he was ready to play pool. I went over to him and told him, "It's late, I'm drunk, you are drunk, I have already taken too much of your money. Let's finish this another night." I slapped the house cue in the rack and stepped out a nearby door in a well planned move before he could figure out what to say about me being too nice to be hustled!

Hu

Black-Balled
05-08-2009, 08:37 AM
...my past...started the bet at 2 bucks a game. I beat him 4 games straight and he asked if I wanted to raise the bet and I said sure (hell I was playing with his money) I won 2 more games @ 5 bucks a game and he asks to raise the bet again. Just then my wife shows up and I told him that I had to leave. ...

JV

Not sure that winning 6games and quitting is hustling!

Johnnyt
05-08-2009, 09:39 AM
I've never hustled a true top tier pool hustler, as I wasn't good enough to do that. I have hustled other types of hustlers on a pool table. Siding salesmen, used car salesmen, county commisioners and other types of scam artists. But my stories are all BS so I'll save them for another forum or publish them. Johnnyt

macguy
05-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Two stories from my past....

I was at a hall in California just banging some balls around waiting for my wife to finish shopping in a nearby store. This guy comes up and asks if I would like to play some cheap games. I said sure... He started the bet at 2 bucks a game. I beat him 4 games straight and he asked if I wanted to raise the bet and I said sure (hell I was playing with his money) I won 2 more games @ 5 bucks a game and he asks to raise the bet again. Just then my wife shows up and I told him that I had to leave. Wow was he pissed. I told him I was sorry but I had to go. I bought him a 2 dollar beer and walked away with 16 bucks to the good. (not alot but I was sure that I was on the brink of losing more than I had)

Another time was in my barracks in the military. A guy was playing 2 dollar games and was winning pretty much every match. He asked if I wanted to play. I told him it was late and I would play him for 20 bucks. The look on his face was of surprise and fear. He reluctantly agreed and quit after the first game. I went back to my room with smokes money.

(Guess I should have lied about the dollar amounts but I am too honest to a fault)

I would like to hear more stories.

JV
Many times. They didn't expect to find my level player just in some bowling alley. They like to throw around that weight at suckers. Jimmy Reid tried to trap me in a one pocket prop. I knew who he was and did a major stall upping the bet and locking him into a set of games. After the first game he was crying.
I have known him for years but this was the first time he met me.

stevea
05-08-2009, 10:30 AM
I have a few, nothing to special (not a lot of money or anything but still a lot of fun).

Story 1:
I was at a pool hall playing 8ball by myself and some dude i had never seen before asked me to play 9ball and I agreed. The games were going back and forth so he started to ask me to bet on the games (any bet he didn't care if it was a $1 or $5) he just wanted to bet, he said it would make me play better, well I kept saying no (not much of a gambler). Finally some time later i was getting ready to leave the score was 16-16 and he said how about the first one to 25 wins and the loser has to pay the drinking tab and table time. I said ok lets do it (he didn't think i was going to say yes) and i beat him 25-16 and he had about a $100 tab.

Story 2:
I was at a bar that is like my "Cheers" and some black guy came in with all his boys and after he walked into the door he said out loud that he wanted to play the "badest" white boy in here at pool. So someone came up to me and said that guy just called me out (i was already drunk, jagerbombs). so I went up to him and his boys by myself and he asked if i was the badest white in here and I said yes and he told me to rack them. Of course he didn't want to play for money so we were playing for shots, i beat him 5 games in a row (now we are really drunk) all his friends are making fun of him and he puts his arm around me and says, "thats what i get for asking for the badest white boy in here"

Story 3:
no money but was a lot of fun. At a different bar and this guy was beating everyone in pool that came up to the table and he was all flexing for his gf and making a scene so I went up to him and played and I lost the first game and then I asked him if he wanted to bet money and he said no so he broke and i ran that game out and broke and ran the next game against him, he threw his stick down on the ground and walked out! haha

APA Gene
05-08-2009, 11:00 AM
I had two recent matches that were kind of fun....

1) This guys is always barking at me that he wants to play some but I am always too busy, don't have time etc...He calls me one day and I had been practicing a bit since my schedule wasn't as busy. He asks to play races to 7 for $25 even. He thinks he has the nuts and I think it will be a good tough game. We start the first set and I am up 4-1 before I miss my first shot! End up winning that one 7-1. He can't believe it so we do it again. Now he gets going and has me down 4-1. I come back to beat him 7-4! He quit! :thumbup:

2) Not too long after that I am in my local room to practice and this young guy who shoots real good asks to play. I ask him if he wants to "do something" and he says "7 for $20?" so were on. He think he is stealing and I of course think it should be a good fight. I roast him 2 sets something like 7-2, 7-2 and he air barrels me! Damn! LOL

pwd72s
05-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Best one I heard of was televised on one show or another...big fish in a small pond was set up..."My girlfrind will play you". Girlfriend turned out to be a lady pro.

Anybody happen to know if this is on youtube? I'd like to see it.

trustyrusty
05-08-2009, 01:54 PM
never even MET a hustler.....might have met a few that "thought" they were.

alstl
05-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Yes I have, my favorite was the time I got some guy named Mosconi in 14.1, game to 1000. He ran 526 to start the match and when he missed they made a big deal about it and everybody left. I couldn't understand what the big deal was over a lousy 526 run. I stepped to the table and ran 1000 and out for the cash.

Dudley
05-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Small time bets, but one night I was in a local college bar that was always good for drinks/$5-$20 from frat rats. Some guys come in and want to play, we start at $5/game, go to $10, I beat four of them (and a couple twice), probably up $50-$60.

They go get their friend who calmly explains to me that since I have beaten his buddies out of money at pool, I should be 'gentlemanly enough' to play him a game of foosball for $50.

It was too bad he didn't realize that I played 3-4 foosball tourneys (with nationally ranked players) each week around that time.

Its an amazing set of skills people develop spending time in pool rooms.

quarter tossing, foosball, darts, ping pong, prop bets etc.

I always think twice about betting on random stuff unless its worth the entertainment...

SD

E-DogsNYC32
05-08-2009, 07:44 PM
A few years back when I was a freshman in college, I had a big gap in between classes, so I decide to spend some time at the local pool hall.

I get a table and start shooting 8 ball by myself, just to kill time. A guy walks up to me (I assume he is a regular at this pool hall) and asks me to shoot some for fun, I know that he wasn't just looking for a friendly game and I ask him flat out "how much?" He says $25 race to 3, I tell him that I only have 2 hours, so lets go. I win 3-2, he goes double or nothing, I win 3-1. Now I am up $50 and I have about an hour and 15 minutes to go, he says let's up this to $100 a set. I say why not, he ends up beating me the next 3 sets, 3-0, 3-1, 3-1. Knowing that I just got hustled, I tell him I don't have the money to pay, but he can hold my watch until I go to the ATM and pay him. My watch is a very good looking Movado... a Chinatown special ($15 canal street bootleg) ...

Needless to say, I never went back to the pool hall.

Oh well, the way I see it, he hustled me and I hustled him. Sue me... ;)