05-08-2009, 10:17 AM
I found out earl was doing great!!
Thanks for everyone's replies...=)))

justin.powell
05-08-2009, 10:20 AM
I heard Earl is in Japan.

BVal
05-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Well i was told that my main man Earl has been seen sleeping in his car and he is back smoking again, looked like he needed a shave and a shower....

It seems he is on a crash course.... Any truth to this anyone?
Earl Strickland????

BVal

beamracing
05-08-2009, 11:24 AM
hey whats up kenny? its todd in greensboro hope you're doing good havent talked to you in a while. congratulations on your wedding. i just wanted to let you know earl is doing fine.he has a house right near the poolroom and he practices everyday. hes doing fine. just wanted to squash that rumor. im planning on making it up to asheville soon hopefully i'll see you.

Nostroke
05-08-2009, 11:31 AM
He is back from Japan where he was nuttier each night and will not get a return engagement according to a Japanese room owner i spoke with.(but this is pool and nothing is impossible)

I heard the TD of the BCA event say Earl would never get another invite there and 2 years later, he was back.

Anyway, it is very sad.

Matt90
05-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Earl will be at the Jacoby tournament next weekend playing in a pro am
friday night .I should be there streaming or filming for a future restream
Also hope to get some time to get a few interviews and maybe get Earl
to speak for himself which he never seems to have a problem doing.

center pocket
05-08-2009, 01:55 PM
I am glad Earl is doing ok. He is my favorite narcissus in the whole world. I would hate to hear he is doing bad. He vows to win one more world championship, and I hope he does.

Black-Balled
05-08-2009, 01:59 PM
I am glad Earl is doing ok. He is my favorite narcissus in the whole world. I would hate to hear he is doing bad. He vows to win one more world championship, and I hope he does.

and I hope he does

Nostroke
05-08-2009, 02:37 PM

Yeah id love to see him do it and then retire but Im sure that isnt economically feasible for him. He better get a girlfriend before it's too late!

runall8
05-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Well i was told that my main man Earl has been seen sleeping in his car and he is back smoking again, looked like he needed a shave and a shower....

sounds like most of the players i know!!..

TX Poolnut
05-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Glad to hear he's not sleeping in the shaggin' wagon.

JoeyA
05-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Earl will be at the Jacoby tournament next weekend playing in a pro am
friday night .I should be there streaming or filming for a future restream
Also hope to get some time to get a few interviews and maybe get Earl
to speak for himself which he never seems to have a problem doing.

I have heard from others who know even though I haven't seen it recently with my own eyes that Earl still has the ability to play at an extremely high level.

While playing his matches in a tournament like the U.S. OPen 9 Ball Championship, I would love to see Earl have a tournament in which:

1. He doesn't say one 1 word to any fan during any of his matches.
2. He doesn't say 1 word to his opponentduring any of his matches.
3. He doesn't say 1 word of self-talk (to himself)during his matches{/B]
4. He doesn't roll his eyes when he hears comments from anyone.
5. When he misses a shot, he doesn't do anything but go sit in his chair and wait for his next opportunity to come to the table and play his best.
(No grimmacing, no glaring, no cursing, no exclamations of any kind)
6. No sharking his opponent with words, movement or any other sharking effort.
7. If he is accosted verbally or otherwise, which happens to him a lot by a few dirty SOB's, he should simply report the offense to the tournament director.

The above items are what is holding Earl back from another World Championship imo.

In fact, Earl should go to the tournament director before the tournament starts and ask the tournament director to keep an eye on his matches to keep the low-life's that would attempt to take away his chance to play his best pool (and that includes any opponent that would stoop low by sharking Earl). He should also tell the TD that he plans to be on his best behavior and for the TD to keep that information to himself.

Hell, if he wanted and I was at the tournament, I would go to the tournament director myself and seek to have rowdy visitors (I can't call them fans) removed from the tournament.

I want to see Earl excel so much that I would play policeman on behalf of the tournament director but I wouldn't give Earl a break for his own bad behavior if any, but I would send miscreants packing with the tournament director's blessing.

Earl deserves to be able to play without provocation but he also deserves to rid himself of the obstacles that he sometimes imposes on himself.
[B]GO EAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRLLLL!

JoeyA (Big Earl fan, if Earl behaves and gives himself a chance to win)

tigerseye
05-08-2009, 06:43 PM
I have heard from others who know even though I haven't seen it recently with my own eyes that Earl still has the ability to play at an extremely high level.

While playing his matches in a tournament like the U.S. OPen 9 Ball Championship, I would love to see Earl have a tournament in which:

5. When he misses a shot, he doesn't do anything but go sit in his chair and wait for his next opportunity to come to the table and play his best.
7. If he is accosted verbally or otherwise, which happens to him a lot by a few dirty SOB's, he should simply report the offense to the tournament director.

The above items are what is holding Earl back from another World Championship imo.

In fact, Earl should go to the tournament director before the tournament starts and ask the tournament director to keep an eye on his matches to keep the low-life's that would attempt to take away his chance to play his best pool (and that includes any opponent that would stoop low by sharking Earl). He should also tell the TD that he plans to be on his best behavior and for the TD to keep that information to himself.

Hell, if he wanted and I was at the tournament, I would go to the tournament director myself and seek to have rowdy visitors (I can't call them fans) removed from the tournament.

I want to see Earl excel so much that I would play policeman on behalf of the tournament director but I wouldn't give Earl a break for his own bad behavior if any, but I would send miscreants packing with the tournament director's blessing.

Earl deserves to be able to play without provocation but he also deserves to rid himself of the obstacles that he sometimes imposes on himself.

Very good advice...

JoeyA
05-08-2009, 06:44 PM

Since others have said that Earl is fine and not sleeping in his car and is not on a crash course, if I were you, I would divulge the name of the person who is spreading this distasteful and untruthful rumour.

This nasty rumor spreading is not nice.

At a recent tournament, because my last tournament match of the night started at 4:15 am, without a shower and without a shave, I slept in my truck for about an hour or so because it would have taken an hour or so to get to and from the hotel room and I may not have been able to make it back for me and my road-dogs' EARLY AM MATCH.

JoeyA

tigerseye
05-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Since others have said that Earl is fine and not sleeping in his car and is not on a crash course, if I were you, I would divulge the name of the person who is spreading this distasteful and untruthful rumour.

This nasty rumor spreading is not nice.

At a recent tournament, because my last tournament match of the night started at 4:15 am, without a shower and without a shave, I slept in my truck for about an hour or so because it would have taken an hour or so to get to and from the hotel room and I may not have been able to make it back for me and my road-dogs' EARLY AM MATCH.

JoeyA

It was only a question not starting a rumour.... Also i just got word from a friend that earl just got back from Japan and is driving a bmw.... Thats the answer i wanted to hear... Earl is my favorite player, besides myself, and i would NEVER start any negative rumour about him....

firemankc
05-08-2009, 07:21 PM
QUOTE=tigerseye;1810601]I was only concerned for him..... so please dont go jumping or barking at me about spreading a rumour....
We all know about sleeping in your car and all that Jazz....So don't feel like the lone ranger

CreeDo
05-08-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm not sure that an earl who is quiet throughout the match and polite will wake up and perform great. I have a feeling he somehow thrives on the negativity. He's beaten champions and run tons of racks while bítching the whole time.

gunzby
05-08-2009, 11:45 PM
I want to see him center himself. I don't think he is down by any means. I think he has just lost "it". When I say that I mean that he hasn't really lost anything. He is still capable of steamrolling his way through a world championship.....he just forgot exactly what that feels like. He forgot it, but it is not gone. It will pop up again eventually and when it does I hope I get to see it.

JoeyA
05-09-2009, 12:36 AM
It was only a question not starting a rumour.... Also i just got word from a friend that earl just got back from Japan and is driving a bmw.... Thats the answer i wanted to hear... Earl is my favorite player, besides myself, and i would NEVER start any negative rumour about him....

Cool!
Go Earrrrrrrrl

JAM
05-09-2009, 03:11 AM
Cool!
Go Earrrrrrrrl

They can kick him belly up, kick him belly down, kick him belly skid, kick him all around, or kick him while he's up, kick him while he's down, kick him in his shins, kick him all around.

But they can't take away the fact that he's THE best living American player on the face of the earth, bar none, and to date, nobody can touch his championship wins! :)

JimS
05-09-2009, 03:20 AM

Seems to me, that with the introduction of this thread, you have.

tpdtom
05-09-2009, 04:48 AM
They can kick him belly up, kick him belly down, kick him belly skid, kick him all around, or kick him while he's up, kick him while he's down, kick him in his shins, kick him all around.

But they can't take away the fact that he's THE best living American player on the face of the earth, bar none, and to date, nobody can touch his championship wins! :)

Yes Jennie, that's true, but it doesn't justify Earl's bad behavior, especially when representing the USA. I am a HUGE fan of Earl's talent, but have little patience with his antics. I know that he has mental problems as do most fans, but if I were a TD or an officer of a governing body after some of the stuff he has pulled I would suspend him from further participation in sanctioned events.

On another note, I respect people that support pool and the players who make the game what it is to the public and other lesser players. At the same time I don't excuse dishonest, unethical, or just unacceptable behavior. I'm not going to stick up for those players just because they won championships or were great road warriors. That to me is beneath our much needed standards. Our beloved game has to be raised to a new level in order to be accepted as a sport by the public, if that is even possible. There is no room for foul language, poor sportsmanship, displays of temper or rudeness to fans on TV or at a tourney etc. When I am in an action pool room I enjoy the antics of a Keith or an Earl or a Cornbread Red or a Scooter type character, but that is not good for TV or an international event.

I have always enjoyed your posts. I understand your position in support of pro players. I am just not sympathetic to them when it comes to poor behavior or business with OPM. Those things are just some examples of where I draw the line. I don't care how great any certain player is or was. The sad fact that it's nearly impossible for a pro player to make a living does not excuse business/dumping or lack of integrity. Earl's horrible behavior brings shame on our game and our country. It can't be tolerated either. By the way, I'm not accusing Earl of ever dumping anyone. That is just another negative for our sport that we cannot accept. Some people think it is ok because the poor pro pool player has to make a living. Nonsense !

I've been waiting to say this for a long time and I guess today was the day...Tom

JAM
05-09-2009, 04:55 AM
...When I am in an action pool room I enjoy the antics of a Keith or an Earl or a Cornbread Red or a Scooter type character, but that is not good for TV or an international event...I've been waiting to say this for a long time and I guess today was the day...Tom

I appreciate your opinion and well-written post.

Today, I am of the opinion that pool is a lost cause and that anybody associated with it is doomed for failure.

It is the action, by the way, that seems to be what the majority of pool people enjoy, rather than robotic Buckingham Guard style of play on TV.

Pool on TV and an international event may be lucrative elsewhere, but it is not here in the United States. As an American myself, I have come to the conclusion that I will enjoy pool for all it has to offer me and mine, but I will not invest my time, money, heart and soul into it anymore. Been there, done that, and the only thing you get out of it is a kick in the teeth and poor memories.

Thanks again for your sharing your thoughts. I understand where you're coming from! :)

tigerseye
05-09-2009, 05:24 AM
The same friend told me that when earl was in his match another friend was coming to sit down and knocked all of Earls cues into the floor. Tis friend looked up and saw that it was EArls stuff and said ''Oh crap i'm dead!'' lol!!
But to his surprise Earl never said a word no gestures of any kind he simply picked his stuff up and proceeded with his match.....

tigerseye
05-09-2009, 05:26 AM
Seems to me, that with the introduction of this thread, you have.

I followed it with a question of curiosity if this rumour were true.... I never said i saw him in this condition....
So get off my jock.

Fast Davie NC
05-09-2009, 08:07 PM

Mann!!! Sorry Kenny but this thread is out of line. You seem to say that you know Earl...Couldn't you find out this info from Earl instead of going public? I got his phone number if you need it! You just asked for bashing in a thread like this IMO! Earl played great at the shootout and yes he has a BMW! He is fine. People need to stay out of his BIZZ!

Small world, closely nit be careful what you say!

We all have done threads and then regretted it later! No Probs are Hard Feelings, Hope you are doing well! Davie

Rick S.
05-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Mann!!! Sorry Kenny but this thread is out of line. You seem to say that you know Earl...Couldn't you find out this info from Earl instead of going public? I got his phone number if you need it! You just asked for bashing in a thread like this IMO! Earl played great at the shootout and yes he has a BMW! He is fine. People need to stay out of his BIZZ!

We all have done threads and then regretted it later! No Probs are Hard Feelings, Hope you are doing well! Davie

Tap, tap, tap.

JAM
05-10-2009, 03:00 AM
...Small world, closely nit be careful what you say!....

You were very diplomatic in your post, and that is to be commended.

However, I just have one teeny edit to respectfully make. It's closely knit, not closely nit. Big difference between "nit" and "knit" in pool jargon! :grin-square:

Hope all is well with you. One of these days, we're coming down and sampling some of that fine cuisine. I keep hearing raving reviews! :)

SpiderWebComm
05-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Earrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlllllll!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bfdlad
05-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I appreciate your opinion and well-written post.

Today, I am of the opinion that pool is a lost cause and that anybody associated with it is doomed for failure.

It is the action, by the way, that seems to be what the majority of pool people enjoy, rather than robotic Buckingham Guard style of play on TV.

Pool on TV and an international event may be lucrative elsewhere, but it is not here in the United States. As an American myself, I have come to the conclusion that I will enjoy pool for all it has to offer me and mine, but I will not invest my time, money, heart and soul into it anymore. Been there, done that, and the only thing you get out of it is a kick in the teeth and poor memories.

Thanks again for your sharing your thoughts. I understand where you're coming from! :)
JAm quote = I am of the opinion that pool is a lost cause and that anybody associated with it is doomed for failure.

Man alive Jam, I hope you are wrong on this one.

Tommy-D
05-10-2009, 10:23 AM
> Whoever started that crap must not have ever met Earl. Even if Earl was truly down and out,he'd NEVER allow you to see him sleeping in his car,he's just too PRIDEFUL.

IF someone saw him sleeping in his car,he must have been taking a nap or something.

He has to have a house somewhere,his trophy case alone is probably the size of a Walgreens.

So what if he smokes? Tommy D.

bfdlad
05-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Here is one more thing I know for a fact. Lets just say that Earl was in the position where he had nowhere to sleep. I know that Earl could walk into almost any pool room in the country and say "Hey I just got into town and I am not sure where i am gonna stay, do you have any ideas?" He would have multiple offers from pool fans saying, "Earl you can stay with me if you want for as long as you want"

This is just one reason why you can't believe this.

JAM
05-10-2009, 10:40 AM
JAm quote = I am of the opinion that pool is a lost cause and that anybody associated with it is doomed for failure.

Man alive Jam, I hope you are wrong on this one.

I hope I am wrong too, especially for good pool folk like yourself.

After 7 or 8 years of putting a lot of my heart and soul into pool, I lost my enthusiasm for a variety of reasons, some of which I won't post on the fourm. :sorry:

Fast Davie NC
05-10-2009, 08:17 PM
You were very diplomatic in your post, and that is to be commended.

However, I just have one teeny edit to respectfully make. It's closely knit, not closely nit. Big difference between "nit" and "knit" in pool jargon! :grin-square:

Hope all is well with you. One of these days, we're coming down and sampling some of that fine cuisine. I keep hearing raving reviews! :) Thanks Jam! I usually could spell when I was in school! (Must have lost it! Maybe the typing has me sharked! Thanks for your constructive criticism (Is that how you spell it??? LOL!). You are a blessing to this "POOl World" (and writing! I am waiting for your book!) It is truly amazing what you have done for the players and the industry...You have my true respect and everyone that I know in the pro pool scene loves you dearly! I know that you honestly care about the game and the outcome of it all! Someone like you would respect my thoughts in hoping that the future of pool would be positive brings joy to me, As a TRUE pool fan, wannabee- Champion! I try to always be optimistic even though the reality of it all does not look like it is in our favor (Sad but True, I guess). Possibilities are always within reach for our "Sub-Culture",If you speak with Dianna, Tell her we said hello and hope all is well. My wife and I can't wait to meet you and Keith sometime in the near future! I will take you guys on a tour of Italian food, wine, culture and friendship! Have A Great Evening! Ciao, Davie

JAM
05-11-2009, 03:09 AM
Thanks Jam! I usually could spell when I was in school! (Must have lost it! Maybe the typing has me sharked! Thanks for your constructive criticism (Is that how you spell it??? LOL!). You are a blessing to this "POOl World" (and writing! I am waiting for your book!) It is truly amazing what you have done for the players and the industry...You have my true respect and everyone that I know in the pro pool scene loves you dearly! I know that you honestly care about the game and the outcome of it all! Someone like you would respect my thoughts in hoping that the future of pool would be positive brings joy to me, As a TRUE pool fan, wannabee- Champion! I try to always be optimistic even though the reality of it all does not look like it is in our favor (Sad but True, I guess). Possibilities are always within reach for our "Sub-Culture",If you speak with Dianna, Tell her we said hello and hope all is well. My wife and I can't wait to meet you and Keith sometime in the near future! I will take you guys on a tour of Italian food, wine, culture and friendship! Have A Great Evening! Ciao, Davie

Thank you for the very kind words.

Sometimes reading this forum can be a real downer, but every now and then, I get a ray of sunshine, like your post, and it brightens up my day and enthusiasm for pool.

I will be stopping by en route to Beautiful Dixie someday, and I look forward to breaking bread and enjoying good company! :)

tigerseye
05-11-2009, 04:35 AM

1st of all i wasn't bashing him in anyway. I was only reaching out to people and asking if this were true. I DID NOT SAY that he was sleeping in his car or he was smoking or anything even remotely close to bashing him.
I simply was asking if these rumours, i heard, were true.

PLease forgive me for the implications of bashing EARL. This thread was not for that reason.
EARL is my favorite player now and forever. I only dream of knowing what it feels like to knock off the best in the world time and time again.
Hope all is well your way also....

poolfoole
05-11-2009, 07:15 AM

I have 1 accu-stats match where he plays pretty much like you describe. It was the worst pool I've ever seen him play. He thrives when he does most of the things you describe. He just needs to overcome whatever mental illness he has that's causing him to do these things. I've met him and he's goofy as hell. Not necessarily a bad guy, but has some serious mental problems.

poolfoole
05-11-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm not sure that an earl who is quiet throughout the match and polite will wake up and perform great. I have a feeling he somehow thrives on the negativity. He's beaten champions and run tons of racks while bítching the whole time.

You're exactly right. I have 1 accu-stats video where he never says a word during the match, and it was the worst pool I'd ever seen him play. I love watching the guy insult people in the audience, and argues and complains and run rack after rack while he's doing it. He needs to do more of that. That's when he plays his best pool.

poolfoole
05-11-2009, 07:20 AM

He's a has been. He's too screwed up mentally to win any more tournaments, unfortunately.

the420trooper
05-11-2009, 07:26 AM
I've heard Mark Wilson say that Earl has the unique ability to feed off of negative energy, and turn it into fuel for one of his flashes of brilliance.

I don't know how many times I've seen him get sharked by someone in the audience, put on his best mad face, and then run out the set, without ever taking a practice stroke. :thumbup:

Earl is the man...

the420trooper
05-11-2009, 07:27 AM
He's a has been. He's too screwed up mentally to win any more tournaments, unfortunately.

I love your handle, it's very appropriate...:angry:

JAM
05-11-2009, 07:35 AM

I was thinking the EXACT SAME THING! :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

poolfoole
05-11-2009, 07:37 AM

I speak the truth and the truth hurts sometimes. I'd really like to see him do well too.

the420trooper
05-11-2009, 07:55 AM
I speak the truth and the truth hurts sometimes. I'd really like to see him do well too.

You speak what you believe to be true...that doesn't mean you speak the TRUTH. In lieu of a long winded argument, I'll let Earl prove you wrong...:D

poolfoole
05-11-2009, 08:03 AM
You speak what you believe to be true...that doesn't mean you speak the TRUTH. In lieu of a long winded argument, I'll let Earl prove you wrong...:D

I've met Earl, and there's no doubt that he's really screwed up mentally, so I do speak the truth about that. He seems like a good guy that's just has some serious mental problems. How else can you explain why a player of his unmatched raw talent hasn't won a 9-ball tournament in so many years? When's the last major 9-ball tournament he won? 2000 US Open, 2001 Masters, ...?

the420trooper
05-11-2009, 08:21 AM
I've met Earl, and there's no doubt that he's really screwed up mentally, so I do speak the truth about that. He seems like a good guy that's just has some serious mental problems.

Earl is different from most people, sure. That doesn't mean he's "screwed up mentally". There's a fine line between genius and insanity....

How else can you explain why a player of his unmatched raw talent hasn't won a 9-ball tournament in so many years?

Because there are a hundred guys from every corner of the world that play as well or better than him? Pro 9 ball tourneys are hard to win.

When's the last major 9-ball tournament he won? 2000 US Open, 2001 Masters, ...?

Efren won the 2001 Masters, in the finals against Strickland.

Strickland actually won the 2002 World 9 ball title, beating a grief stricken Francisco Bustamante in the finals...Also, Earl won a major 1 pocket title last year, I forget which tournament it was.

poolfoole
05-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Earl is different from most people, sure. That doesn't mean he's "screwed up mentally". There's a fine line between genius and insanity....

He is screwed up mentally. In Earl's own words he was "sick for 10 years" and "Efren Reyes never sent me a get well card." That's what he told me when I asked him how come he hadn't won a 9-ball tournament in so long.

Because there are a hundred guys from every corner of the world that play as well or better than him? Pro 9 ball tourneys are hard to win.

Even in no limit hold'em poker tournaments, the top players win big multi-player tournaments on somewhat of a regular basis.

Efren won the 2001 Masters, in the finals against Strickland.

I couldn't remember who won.

Strickland actually won the 2002 World 9 ball title, beating a grief stricken Francisco Bustamante in the finals

So that's the last 9-ball tournament he won I guess. Still a very long drought for a player of his caliber. He's mentally broken down. That's why he can't win.

...Also, Earl won a major 1 pocket title last year, I forget which tournament it was.

I was aware of the 1 pocket tournament win. I was referring to his drought in 9-ball, since that's his strongest game, since he's pretty much a one trick pony with the exception of this 1 one pocket tournament win.

bfdlad
05-11-2009, 08:41 AM
He is screwed up mentally. In Earl's own words he was "sick for 10 years" and "Efren Reyes never sent me a get well card." That's what he told me when I asked him how come he hadn't won a 9-ball tournament in so long.

Even in no limit hold'em poker tournaments, the top players win big multi-player tournaments on somewhat of a regular basis.

I couldn't remember who won.

So that's the last 9-ball tournament he won I guess. Still a very long drought for a player of his caliber. He's mentally broken down. That's why he can't win.

I was aware of the 1 pocket tournament win. I was referring to his drought in 9-ball, since that's his strongest game, since he's pretty much a one trick pony with the exception of this 1 one pocket tournament win.
You are actually becoming insulting at this point. No matter what you think of him or his mental state of mind he is one of the greatest players to have ever held a cue.

I don't think coming on here and bashing him because he hasn't won a touney in a while serves any purpose. If it is a "mental illness" that is the reason he hasn't won then even more reason to maybe keep you opinions to yourself.

Look, love him or hate him, you can't ignor him. and although we all know Earl has his moments I still think he deserves respect for his accomplishments. JMO.

deadstroke7
05-11-2009, 08:47 AM
look, love him or hate him, you can't ignor him. And although we all know earl has his moments i still think he deserves respect for his accomplishments. Jmo.

tap, tap, tap

JAM
05-11-2009, 08:52 AM
You are actually becoming insulting at this point. No matter what you think of him or his mental state of mind he is one of the greatest players to have ever held a cue.

I don't think coming on here and bashing him because he hasn't won a touney in a while serves any purpose. If it is a "mental illness" that is the reason he hasn't won then even more reason to maybe keep you opinions to yourself.

Look, love him or hate him, you can't ignor him. and although we all know Earl has his moments I still think he deserves respect for his accomplishments. JMO.

Exactly right. How can anyone who has a Bozo for an avatar be taken seriously?! :grin-square:

It was in 2005 that Earl came in 3rd or 4th place at U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship, by the way, and it was the Carolinas Open in 2006 that he won the One-Pocket tournament. It was 2006 that Earl Strickland was inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame, and in 2007, he was one of Pool & Billiard Magazine Fans' Top 20 Favorite Players.

Earl Strickland doesn't have to prove a thing to anybody. He's already made his mark in the pool world. You can be sure that wherever Earl plays pool, the crowd will surround his table, above all others. He is an American champion, and I am proud to call him my friend!:)

the420trooper
05-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Exactly right. How can anyone who has a Bozo for an avatar be taken seriously?! :grin-square:

It was the Carolinas Open in 2006 that he won the One-Pocket tournament. Wow, has it been that long? I'm guess I'm getting old...:D

Earl Strickland doesn't have to prove a thing to anybody. He's already made his mark in the pool world. You can be sure that wherever Earl plays pool, the crowd will surround his table, above all others.

Well said...

poolfoole
05-11-2009, 09:25 AM

I'm a big Earl fan, and I really want to see him do well. He's not a bad guy like most people think. I really enjoy watching him play, and I'm not offended by most of the antics that other people complain about. However, he probably should quit bragging about how good he is if he is, given his long drought in 9-ball tournament play. Otherwise, he subjects himself to such criticism.

poolfoole
05-11-2009, 09:30 AM

Coming from a guy, I assume, who has his boyfriend's picture in his avatar. Are you the feminine man in this relationship?

It was in 2005 that Earl came in 3rd or 4th place at U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship, by the way, and it was the Carolinas Open in 2006 that he won the One-Pocket tournament. It was 2006 that Earl Strickland was inducted into the BCA Hall of Fame, and in 2007, he was one of Pool & Billiard Magazine Fans' Top 20 Favorite Players.

Earl Strickland doesn't have to prove a thing to anybody. He's already made his mark in the pool world. You can be sure that wherever Earl plays pool, the crowd will surround his table, above all others. He is an American champion, and I am proud to call him my friend!:)

I really like Earl, but he sure does brag a lot for a guy who can't win a tournament any more. I want to see him start winning tournaments again.

bfdlad
05-11-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm a big Earl fan, and I really want to see him do well. He's not a bad guy like most people think. I really enjoy watching him play, and I'm not offended by most of the antics that other people complain about. However, he probably should quit bragging about how good he is if he is, given his long drought in 9-ball tournament play. Otherwise, he subjects himself to such criticism.
I hear what you are say, HOWEVER. He has the right to tell everyone how good he is. Anyone who says he is not may want to compair how many US Opens each of you have won and then count up each persons World titles. Then tell him he can't play,

He just isn't the player he was, then again Michael Jordan isn't the basketball player he was either. I don't hear people calling out Jordan and thats because people respect what he has done.

bfdlad
05-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Coming from a guy, I assume, who has his boyfriend's picture in his avatar. Are you the feminine man in this relationship?

I really like Earl, but he sure does brag a lot for a guy who can't win a tournament any more. I want to see him start winning tournaments again.
LOL, talk about talking when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Neil
05-11-2009, 09:40 AM

JAM
05-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Coming from a guy, I assume, who has his boyfriend's picture in his avatar. Are you the feminine man in this relationship?...

You new 'round these parts, Stranger? :eek:

Yep, I'm the feminine one in the relationship! :grin-square:

poolfoole
05-11-2009, 09:45 AM
I hear what you are say, HOWEVER. He has the right to tell everyone how good he is. Anyone who says he is not may want to compair how many US Opens each of you have won and then count up each persons World titles. Then tell him he can't play,

He just isn't the player he was, then again Michael Jordan isn't the basketball player he was either. I don't hear people calling out Jordan and thats because people respect what he has done.

In the 1990s and in 2000, he was the best. He can definitely still play. As much as I like him and respect his pool game, he's opens himself up to criticism when he brags so much about how good he is now, and he hasn't been able to win a tournament in so long.

bfdlad
05-11-2009, 09:52 AM
In the 1990s and in 2000, he was the best. He can definitely still play. As much as I like him and respect his pool game, he's opens himself up to criticism when he brags so much about how good he is now, and he hasn't been able to win a tournament in so long.
I think he has a right to talk about his talent. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong. I really don't have much else to say on this and we can agree to disagree.

One last thing, JAM I may be gay so if you and your partner ever split give me a call :)

JAM
05-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I think he has a right to talk about his talent. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong. I really don't have much else to say on this and we can agree to disagree.

One last thing, JAM I may be gay so if you and your partner ever split give me a call :)

Thanks for the flowers, bfdlad! :love::smilewinkgrin:

poolfoole
05-11-2009, 09:54 AM
You have just earned one of the very few red reps I have given. If all you are going to do is bash people that you should be respecting, please find another forum.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but he [JAM] insulted me first. All I did was insult him the same way that he insulted me.

Regarding the Earl Strickland topic, professional athletes get far worse criticism than this every day. I admire the way he plays very much. When I met him, he just bragged a little too much for a guy who hasn't been able to win a major tournament for so many years.

s'portplayer
05-11-2009, 10:06 AM
First of all, JAM is a woman and has been on this forum for quite a bit longer than alot of people.

Secondly, to throw around sexually based insults is in extremely poor taste, no matter your reason for doing so. I hope the mods take care this.

Thirdly, coming on here bashing a world champ, hall of fame member, and easily one of the top 5 players of all time, is completely ridiculous.

Learn to respect the forum, it's members, players and we will respect you.

the420trooper
05-11-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm sorry you feel that way, but he [JAM] insulted me first. All I did was insult him the same way that he insulted me. Oh, wow....:rolleyes:

TheWhiteEwok
05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
I would like to put my 2 cents in.

I have seen Earl play online 100's of times, and many other pros.

I know the skill of Earl and that he is an utterly amazing stroker.

I also know of his fame in the realm of antics.

So when I had the opportunity to meet him at my local hall - I was excited to see somebody like that stroke in person.

Sure enough, he was doing some really fantastic shots - showing off what he is capable of - (which was really fun to watch in person).

Here is the story:

I was standing near the table (I would say 10 or so feet away), giving early plenty of room - after he does one of his shots declaring before the shots "I am the only player in the world who can do this, and you wonder why they put two lesbians on television instead of me" (I am verbatim quoting btw).

After he accomplishes said crazy shot, I laugh out loud (with a very obvious tone of amazement) because what he did in fact was extremely difficult.

He turns to me and says "You think you can do this??!?!" - I replied "Oh of course not, that is why I am ...." he interrupts "Exactly" and goes back to shooting.

So - even though he has insulted the #1 player in the world (somebody who I think is an amazing person), only because of her sexual orientation, and not about her skill - and even though he acted like a 12 year old who thinks he is being attacked (when in fact I was complimenting) - I stuck by and thought "Well I knew he is crazy, but still, ill watch and maybe get a photo with him".

So after another few minutes of watching him show off (rightfully) he takes a small break - and I walk up to him and say "Hey Earl, I know your busy, but do you think maybe sometime tonight You can pose with me for a picture?" - He replies "maybe" (with the obvious tone meaning NO).

I am not so ignorant to not to be impressed and respect a persons ability in ANY sport / game - however Earl Strickland, in my own personal experience has undoubtedly proved his complete and utter lacking in tact / grace / maturity / & non-bigotry

I am not sorry in saying that I can openly not be an Earl supporter.

Thanks for listening.

poolfoole
05-11-2009, 10:36 AM
First of all, JAM is a woman and has been on this forum for quite a bit longer than alot of people.

I had no way of knowing that.

Secondly, to throw around sexually based insults is in extremely poor taste, no matter your reason for doing so. I hope the mods take care this.

I don't care what any person's sexual preference is. I made fun of a person's avatar because they made fun of mine. that's all.

Thirdly, coming on here bashing a world champ, hall of fame member, and easily one of the top 5 players of all time, is completely ridiculous.

Learn to respect the forum, it's members, players and we will respect you.

I was only being critical of how he brags so much about how great he is, but hasn't won a tournament in so many years. I want to win and so well, but if you brag a lot about yourself, you open yourself up to some criticism when you aren't winning major events.

bfdlad
05-11-2009, 10:57 AM
I would like to put my 2 cents in.

I have seen Earl play online 100's of times, and many other pros.

I know the skill of Earl and that he is an utterly amazing stroker.

I also know of his fame in the realm of antics.

So when I had the opportunity to meet him at my local hall - I was excited to see somebody like that stroke in person.

Sure enough, he was doing some really fantastic shots - showing off what he is capable of - (which was really fun to watch in person).

Here is the story:

I was standing near the table (I would say 10 or so feet away), giving early plenty of room - after he does one of his shots declaring before the shots "I am the only player in the world who can do this, and you wonder why they put two lesbians on television instead of me" (I am verbatim quoting btw).

After he accomplishes said crazy shot, I laugh out loud (with a very obvious tone of amazement) because what he did in fact was extremely difficult.

He turns to me and says "You think you can do this??!?!" - I replied "Oh of course not, that is why I am ...." he interrupts "Exactly" and goes back to shooting.

So - even though he has insulted the #1 player in the world (somebody who I think is an amazing person), only because of her sexual orientation, and not about her skill - and even though he acted like a 12 year old who thinks he is being attacked (when in fact I was complimenting) - I stuck by and thought "Well I knew he is crazy, but still, ill watch and maybe get a photo with him".

So after another few minutes of watching him show off (rightfully) he takes a small break - and I walk up to him and say "Hey Earl, I know your busy, but do you think maybe sometime tonight You can pose with me for a picture?" - He replies "maybe" (with the obvious tone meaning NO).

I am not so ignorant to not to be impressed and respect a persons ability in ANY sport / game - however Earl Strickland, in my own personal experience has undoubtedly proved his complete and utter lacking in tact / grace / maturity / & non-bigotry

I am not sorry in saying that I can openly not be an Earl supporter.

Thanks for listening.
I can totally understand your feelings. He should not have said anything about female players in that manner and also his attitude towards you. I do however have something to share with you a little on him talking to you. Many times I have seen earl pick someone out and beging some kind of banter with them. It may seem rude and a little like he is looking for a fight. I also have seen him many times right after his trick shot and stroke shot show make a point of going up to that person and shaking their hand. With a big smile on his face say "hey I didn't mean anything by that you are part of the show" I know that maybe isn't the right way to do it but he doesn't mean any harm believe it or not he is just doing Earl and some people come to see him be loud.

Again, I think that in your experience it crossed the line. Its hard to tell when he is playing and serious and he should not have made the comments he did. How long ago was this by the way?

TheWhiteEwok
05-11-2009, 11:23 AM
I can totally understand your feelings. He should not have said anything about female players in that manner and also his attitude towards you. I do however have something to share with you a little on him talking to you. Many times I have seen earl pick someone out and beging some kind of banter with them. It may seem rude and a little like he is looking for a fight. I also have seen him many times right after his trick shot and stroke shot show make a point of going up to that person and shaking their hand. With a big smile on his face say "hey I didn't mean anything by that you are part of the show" I know that maybe isn't the right way to do it but he doesn't mean any harm believe it or not he is just doing Earl and some people come to see him be loud.

Again, I think that in your experience it crossed the line. Its hard to tell when he is playing and serious and he should not have made the comments he did. How long ago was this by the way?

Oh this was probably within 6 months - probably less. I can find the exact date.

Yeah I wasn't really positively impressed with the experience.

And all was lost with the lesbian comment. Sorry Earl -1 fan here.

Thanks for sharing - it does make sense what you say and possibly i didn't stick around long enough to receive that acknowledgment - which would have changed my opinion - but "coulda shoulda woulda"

bfdlad
05-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Oh this was probably within 6 months - probably less. I can find the exact date.

Yeah I wasn't really positively impressed with the experience.

And all was lost with the lesbian comment. Sorry Earl -1 fan here.

Thanks for sharing - it does make sense what you say and possibly i didn't stick around long enough to receive that acknowledgment - which would have changed my opinion - but "coulda shoulda woulda"
I think I may remember you to be honest. I was there too I think. Yeah it is a shame you didn't stick around to be able to understand what he was doing better but hey I don't blame you for not sticking around. Its hard to know as a spectator, some know what he is doing because he my give them a wink or a smile while giving them a hard time but in your situation its hard to know.

He threatened to kill me three times in one day :)

TheWhiteEwok
05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
I think I may remember you to be honest. I was there too I think. Yeah it is a shame you didn't stick around to be able to understand what he was doing better but hey I don't blame you for not sticking around. Its hard to know as a spectator, some know what he is doing because he my give them a wink or a smile while giving them a hard time but in your situation its hard to know.

He threatened to kill me three times in one day :)

Ha - small world! Well, shit happens - its not big deal. Just learned something new that day.

Would still love to have the chance to learn from him, on the pool table, and maybe one day play him.

tigerseye
05-11-2009, 12:47 PM

It's not braggin when you can back it up..... I got money saying he can back it up....