PDA

View Full Version : My new pool movie is in the work (*insane* video clip included)

nathandumoulin
05-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I was never a fan of trick shots....until I saw Venom. A few of you may have heard of him, while most of you won't recognize the name. In either case, you won't soon forget him. Hes a young french player that's about to completely reinvent the trick shot industry.

Starting in July, Venom and I will begin filming my next movie, VENOM TRICKSHOTS. The previous series, Mastering Pool featuring Mika Immonen (www.mastering-pool.com) was praised for its high production quality. Once again I'll be bringing this same level of professionalism to Venom's new feature length video, which is scheduled to hit store shelves in late September.

Here's a sneak peak of Venom's new teaser clip. Note that this was all filmed at his house. The real video will feature a proper set, HD cameras, camera cranes, video lighting, effects...etc...

Enjoy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96llbzuuyeE

EDIT: New promo poster:

http://www.intrinsic-media.com/misc/venom_poster1.jpg

nathandumoulin
05-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Here's another one of his videos that blows my mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yILMggi35tg

TX Poolnut
05-08-2009, 04:07 PM
That little table was getting a serious workout. :thumbup:

I look forward to more. He did some stuff I'd never seen before.

Avenger
05-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Very Impressive!!:bow-down:

macguy
05-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Some of you have heard of Venom, while many of you have not. In either case, you won't soon forget him. Hes a young french trickshot artist that's about to completely reinvent the trick shot industry.

Starting in July, Venom and I will begin filming my next movie, VENOM TRICKSHOTS. The previous series, Mastering Pool featuring Mika Immonen (www.mastering-pool.com) was praised for its high production quality. Once again I'll be bringing this same level of professionalism to Venom's new feature length video, which is scheduled to hit store shelves in late September.

Here's a sneak peak of Vemon's new teaser clip. Note that this was all filmed at his house. The real video will feature a proper set, HD cameras, camera cranes, video lighting, effects...etc...

Enjoy,

PS. I'll be giving AZB a behind the scenes sneak preview of the movie each week once production starts.
What you do is amazing but can you do it much of it in a live performance? We don't know how long it takes you to get some of these shots on tape. Just curious.

JIMMY L
05-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Great Stuff!!! Thanks

nathandumoulin
05-08-2009, 04:48 PM
What you do is amazing but can you do it much of it in a live performance? We don't know how long it takes you to get some of these shots on tape. Just curious.

Venom has live performances on his Youtube collection. The thing with Venom is that he isnt a traditional 'setup' artist. He focuses more on new dynamic shots that require a precision stroke, rather than pre-arranged ball patterns. They take more tries, but thats what makes them beautiful....

Craig
05-08-2009, 04:53 PM
very creative and nice: does he spray the table with Silicone?

Tommyd1
05-08-2009, 04:57 PM
So this is what happens when you have a lot of time on your hands....................and you just practice, practice, practice and practice !!!!!!

UNBELIVEABLE..........GREAT !!!!

J$Cincy
05-08-2009, 05:01 PM
jeez... i have to get one of those gloves.

JasonCrugar
05-08-2009, 05:49 PM
wow that guy is sick. him and semih sayginer (i think that's how it's spelled) have the craziest trick shots i've ever seen. great stuff man thanks for posting.

Luxury
05-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Thank you for bringing joy today. You are brilliant.

allprobilliards
05-08-2009, 06:58 PM
pretty cool!
id like to buy the dvd when it comes

Dgerst
05-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Outstanding. I wanna know what kind of tip this cat plays with.

gunzby
05-08-2009, 09:58 PM
I love his trick shots. They are by far the most creative trick shots I have ever seen.

CreeDo
05-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Can't wait to see his stuff done in professional style (get the guys who did Semih's magic show video to handle it, it's the best production I've seen for trick shots).

Even seeing them in grainy youtube style is a real treat. Looking forward to it.

nathandumoulin
05-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Venom claims that he has invented a whole new type of trickshot that he suspects no one has ever done before. Apparently its so amazing that he's actually refusing to show anyone it until we start filming in July....including me. I can't wait to see if it meets the hype.

gunzby
05-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Venom claims that he has invented a whole new type of trickshot that he suspects no one has ever done before. Apparently its so amazing that he's actually refusing to show anyone it until we start filming in July....including me. I can't wait to see if it meets the hype.

I'm sure it does considering his jump/kick shots (he kicks it with his feet). His trickshots amaze me. The imagination that he uses is really impressive.

*edit* I bought the Mastering Pool set and I have to admit it is probably the best instructional dvd set out there so far as I have seen. There was stuff in there for me to pay attention to from beginner to advanced. I was impressed by this because I figured that there would be no point for me to even watch the beginner dvd and most of the intermediate dvd.

nathandumoulin
05-09-2009, 01:27 AM
*edit* I bought the Mastering Pool set and I have to admit it is probably the best instructional dvd set out there so far as I have seen. There was stuff in there for me to pay attention to from beginner to advanced. I was impressed by this because I figured that there would be no point for me to even watch the beginner dvd and most of the intermediate dvd.

I really appreciate you taking the time to say that. It took me about 3 years to write, film, and edit those DVDs. I did them while I was in college...and there were whole months where I barely left my editing room. Hearing that you found some value in them makes my hard work seem justified. Thanks again.

gunzby
05-09-2009, 01:30 AM
I really appreciate you taking the time to say that. It took me about 3 years to write, film, and edit those DVDs. I did them while I was in college...and there were whole months where I barely left my editing room. Hearing that you found some value in them makes my hard work seem justified. Thanks again.

It was an excellent piece of work. I've been in and around pool halls and playing pool for 16 years now and there is useful information in each of the dvds in that set. You did a great job.

Hierovision
05-09-2009, 06:57 AM
lol that just cracked me up. I love the incorporation of the mini-pool table. Very creative.

theopiateden
05-09-2009, 06:48 PM
looks great, LOVE THE MINI TABLE!!! I look forward to seeing more!

Cuebuddy
05-09-2009, 07:24 PM
I am not a trick shot fan, having said I am starting to change my mind. I'm looking forward to seeing the real videos.

nathandumoulin
05-10-2009, 10:46 PM
get the guys who did Semih's magic show video to handle it, it's the best production I've seen for trick shots

I'll be filming it myself (with a crew) using high speed cameras on cranes. This is the same technique done in the video that you mentioned, so hopefully it will turn out well. I want to stylize the look of the footage, so I'll be building a custom set, using special colored balls, and gray cloth on the table to bring the other colors out.

Scott Lee
05-11-2009, 12:54 AM
I agree! I loved the mini masse' around the normal sized 8ball, at the end of the video! Great stuff!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

lol that just cracked me up. I love the incorporation of the mini-pool table. Very creative.

poolplayer2093
05-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Some of you have heard of Venom, while many of you have not. In either case, you won't soon forget him. Hes a young french trickshot artist that's about to completely reinvent the trick shot industry.

Here's a sneak peak of Venom's new teaser clip. Note that this was all filmed at his house. The real video will feature a proper set, HD cameras, camera cranes, video lighting, effects...etc...

Enjoy,

PS. I'll be giving AZB a behind the scenes sneak preview of the movie each week once production starts.

man i don't dig most of the trick shots i see on tv but the ones in that video was pretty cool

nathandumoulin
05-12-2009, 02:03 AM
man i don't dig most of the trick shots i see on tv but the ones in that video was pretty cool

My thoughts exactly. Prior to seeing venom, I hated trick shots. It was always a bunch of older fellas setting up shots that we've all seen time and time again. 10 minutes worth of setup time, for a 2 second shot. Hardly worth the wait when you've seen it all before.

With Venom's help, I intend to change all that. :D

Beware_of_Dawg
05-12-2009, 07:25 AM
thats just fuxing sick. that second vid he said he went through a ton of tips and broke 2 cues making it. wowz.

crawfish
05-12-2009, 07:29 AM
He's got the eight.

JK, pretty inventive.

nathandumoulin
05-14-2009, 09:28 PM
This is the only place I've given word of this project....and yet, somehow its started to make online pool news already:

http://www.monbillard.com/2009/venom-trickshots/

Its french, but even still. :thumbup:

Richardson
05-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Holy cow that was some of the coolest shots ive ever seen.

Benoit Michaud
05-15-2009, 07:00 AM
This is the only place I've given word of this project....and yet, somehow its started to make online pool news already:

http://www.monbillard.com/2009/venom-trickshots/

Its french, but even still. :thumbup:

I couldn't resist to inform my readers! Sorry :wink:
Like a said in my blog, I usually don't like trickshot but Venom is an exception. Can't wait to see the DVD!

Black-Balled
05-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Neat. Thanks for sharing!

I like the one at 2.07.

frankwhite
05-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Wow!!! This dude is sick........

ericyow
05-15-2009, 12:32 PM
I agree. This young fella is awesome fun to watch. His videos get more creative with each new one he puts out. I'm quite proud of what he's done in such a short time. Give him a week and he'll have two more videos out!

I can't wait to see how successful the DVD becomes!

Keep up the great work!

jensen_lover
05-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I am even less of a fan of trickshots now.

nathandumoulin
05-16-2009, 12:14 AM
I can't wait to see how successful the DVD becomes! Keep up the great work!

Eric, I actually heavily considered getting a hold of you for this project, before I realized that two players might complicate things. Not only that, but it would also significantly boost my costs. If you have any ideas on how I could get around this (and are interested in the project) be sure to let me know. I'd love to hear from you, as you're a very talented fellow.

I am even less of a fan of trickshots now.

lol, thanks. I really appreciate your support. :p

I couldn't resist to inform my readers! Sorry :wink:
Like a said in my blog, I usually don't like trickshot but Venom is an exception. Can't wait to see the DVD!

Trust me, I wasn't complaining. Any exposure I can get will help to make this project a success. Thanks :thumbup:

Gerry
05-16-2009, 04:16 AM
I'm not much of a trick shot dude, but I can appreciate the skill involved there!

I don't know why, but I had to giggle when he used the little table! :)

I'd like to see more from this innovative guy....

JAM
05-16-2009, 04:25 AM
I look forward to seeing more about this project. It is very, very cool! :)

To date, this is my favorite trick shot video. Maybe it's the music, but I really love it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkWYtGcxj2c

ericyow
05-16-2009, 08:43 PM
I appreciate the thought. Funding the venture would be easier with just him, I'm sure. Not that I'm ridiculously expensive its just that I keep pretty busy so extra projects have to be particularly enticing. I'd love to do it, however, if you decide to use me. One idea would be to have you and your crew come to me for a few days. We could use my table in my home. I'm a month away from being in my new home and putting a 9' diamond in the room with 12' ceilings. :D I'm excited. Either way, I know you'll make a great product.

Vahmurka
05-17-2009, 11:47 AM
which table are you going to use for the movie? 9-footer? Venom is showing impressive shots, and nothing to take from him but I suppose he might be "used" to his table with those tricks. They still will be great at a smaller table but seeing them on standard equipment would be even more spectacular.
Whatever it is, looking forward to the DVD!

nathandumoulin
05-21-2009, 11:03 AM
which table are you going to use for the movie? 9-footer? Venom is showing impressive shots, and nothing to take from him but I suppose he might be "used" to his table with those tricks. They still will be great at a smaller table but seeing them on standard equipment would be even more spectacular. Whatever it is, looking forward to the DVD!

I've been stewing over this for awhile now, and I think I've finally decided on going with a 7 footer. The purpose of the movie is to entertain.... and although a 9 footer would be more credible, the 7 footer should allow for more dramatic looking shots.

And to be perfectly honest, Im not convinced that all of Venoms shots can even be made on a 9 footer. Some of those 4 rail masses he does might not work on the bigger table, as too much spin would be lost over the longer distance that the cue ball would have to travel.

ericyow
05-21-2009, 01:03 PM
I disagree entirely. If you want it to be credible, use a 9' table. Masse shots will only lose their spin if there is friction to reduce it over the distance. Limit friction by cleaning or waxing the cue ball. You could solve the problem most easily by getting a Diamond table and put Simonis 760 or even billiard cloth on it (300?). Shots look far more appealing on a 9' table and masse shots have SOOOOO much more potential for beauty. Take a look at some of the artistic billiards work that has been done! Sayginer, Torres, etc.

Check out these shots, some of which are masse shots on the 10' billiard table. The cloth was old and slow so we used silicone to simulate new cloth, on which we'd need no silicone for these shots.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vtRgNbrYHoM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vtRgNbrYHoM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edit: Tried to embed the clip. Here's the link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtRgNbrYHoM

JamisonNeu
05-21-2009, 01:09 PM
I've been stewing over this for awhile now, and I think I've finally decided on going with a 7 footer. The purpose of the movie is to entertain.... and although a 9 footer would be more credible, the 7 footer should allow for more dramatic looking shots.

And to be perfectly honest, Im not convinced that all of Venoms shots can even be made on a 9 footer. Some of those 4 rail masses he does might not work on the bigger table, as too much spin would be lost over the longer distance that the cue ball would have to travel.

All shots will go on a real table...I can only get seven rails on a nine foot table...lol Good luck...

JamisonNeu
05-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Eric, do you got this guy playing with one of your cues yet? Good move for you...

nathandumoulin
05-22-2009, 08:30 AM
I disagree entirely. If you want it to be credible, use a 9' table. Masse shots will only lose their spin if there is friction to reduce it over the distance. Limit friction by cleaning or waxing the cue ball. You could solve the problem most easily by getting a Diamond table and put Simonis 760 or even billiard cloth on it (300?). Shots look far more appealing on a 9' table and masse shots have SOOOOO much more potential for beauty. Take a look at some of the artistic billiards work that has been done! Sayginer, Torres, etc.

Check out these shots, some of which are masse shots on the 10' billiard table. The cloth was old and slow so we used silicone to simulate new cloth, on which we'd need no silicone for these shots.

Thanks for your input Eric.

The thing is that I'm not very interested in 'being credible', as my primary goal of the video is to entertain. From a film makers perspective, a smaller table looks less bare, and also makes the balls look bigger. The balls and table fill the frame, giving far better composition than a 9' table would. Plus, I feel the curved masse shots look more dramatic on the smaller table.

Im weighing your advice...but who knows. All I know is that I better decide quick :p

Another thing that I'm really struggling over is the color of the cloth. I have special colored balls for the video (black, red & white), and I want them to stand out. Im considering going with a soft gray color for the table.

jay helfert
05-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Very entertaining! This guy should enter some of the trick shot competitions.

jay helfert
05-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks for your input Eric.

The thing is that I'm not very interested in 'being credible', as my primary goal of the video is to entertain. From a film makers perspective, a smaller table looks less bare, and also makes the balls look bigger. The balls and table fill the frame, giving far better composition than a 9' table would. Plus, I feel the curved masse shots look more dramatic on the smaller table.

Im weighing your advice...but who knows. All I know is that I better decide quick :p

Another thing that I'm really struggling over is the color of the cloth. I have special colored balls for the video (black, red & white), and I want them to stand out. Im considering going with a soft gray color for the table.

Remember it is easier on people's eyes to watch something they are familiar with. A light green cloth is probably best and normal colored pool balls. This is more impressive as well, as it sends the message that these are regular balls on a regular table. Just my two cents.

I learned this when publishing my book. Type style is VERY important and Garibaldi is the best choice because we grow up in school reading text books with that type style. It is easier on people's eyes and they can read longer. Hence some people read my book in one or two sittings.

nathandumoulin
05-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Remember it is easier on people's eyes to watch something they are familiar with. A light green cloth is probably best and normal colored pool balls. This is more impressive as well, as it sends the message that these are regular balls on a regular table. Just my two cents.

Although I do agree, the problem with the regular balls is that they're out of context when used in a trickshot video. What Im trying to say , is that color coated numbered balls don't mean anything in the world of trick shots. However by using black and red balls, I can make them mean something. The black balls will always be obstacles, while the red balls will be pocketed.

Although unfamiliar at first, the concept should be blatantly obvious after the first 3 shots. I figure it will help to suggest to the viewer what the intent of the shot is before it's even completed.

Plus, it will look neat :p

nathandumoulin
06-25-2009, 09:44 PM
It seems Venom was just asked to star on one of those reality TV talent shows over in Europe. Apparently he passed the casting session with ease, and they've set a film date for late August. Should be interesting to see how he makes out. :thumbup:

nathandumoulin
08-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Just wanted to give everyone a quick heads up. Venom is currently here in Canada, and we're already into the 2nd day of filming. The footage is looking pretty damn good.

Anyway, I'll be sure to post some samples as soon as I get the chance (been working long days, which is why I haven't been posting recently).

nathandumoulin
08-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been around much lately. The truth is that I've been hard at work during the past 2-3 weeks filming my new pool movie with Venom. We just wrapped up the shoot a few days ago, and I'm now logging the footage so that I can start editing later this week.

Many people were in doubt of Venom's ability, saying that he wouldn't be able to duplicate many of his shots on a larger table (or on someone else's table). Other people said that he wasn't as good as some of the industries more dominant players.

Let me just say this: The footage will soon show otherwise.

Venom did a great job and showed a lot of passion, determination, and pure talent. His performance will certainly make some jaws drop.

This video shoot cost me every penny I own, so I just pray my editing job will be 10% as good as some of the shots Venom made for the movie. In either case, I just hope viewers will enjoy the end result. :frown:

EDIT: I'll be posting some samples for everyone in the next few weeks.

Snapshot9
08-23-2009, 10:16 PM
How old is Venom? Very entertaining and imaginative!!!

nathandumoulin
08-23-2009, 10:38 PM
How old is Venom? Very entertaining and imaginative!!!

He just turned 21.

But here's the scary thing: He picked up a cue for the first time 3 years ago. He's only been doing trickshots for 2 of these 3 years, and only spends 6 hours a week at the table.

I didn't believe him when he told me this, but when we started filming and were putting in 8-9 hours days, he *drastically* improved by the end of the video shoot. The shots that he was making by the end we're some of the craziest shots I've ever seen....certainly far better than anything on his youtube account (and yes this includes video #48).

JesPiddlin
08-24-2009, 12:34 AM
Being the wife of a cuemaker who builds a lot of custom masse' cues for trick shot artists, I enjoy watching all the great youtube videos our customers put together and send us links to. Every one of their videos is quite impressive and many of them put together some amazing shots. The film quality, music and professionalism in their videos is just outstanding. These guys are awesome entertainers in every sense of the word!

Trick shots have changed in so many ways over the past 40 years and I'm grateful to be around to see it happen. I have seen and heard great things about Venom and hope you and he do well in this venture. Artistic pool can only gain from positive publicity, such as this.

Go Venom!

==========================================

Good luck to all the guys (and gals?) who are competing in the artistic pool competition, this coming week! I hope someone will keep us informed!

nathandumoulin
09-02-2009, 04:51 AM
Not sure if anyone cares, but here's a promo poster.

It's just a temporary poster that I'm using until the real promo material is ready in 3 weeks. Funny how the camera angle makes the table look so small.

http://www.intrinsic-media.com/misc/venom_poster1.jpg

Bigjohn
09-02-2009, 05:58 AM
Great Stuff!... but much not repeatable with consistency IMO.

JesPiddlin
09-02-2009, 08:03 AM
That's a pretty neat idea for a promo poster. Well done. :thumbup:

nathandumoulin
09-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Great Stuff!... but much not repeatable with consistency IMO.

That's why I thought...until he nailed some of the shots on the first take. I admit, some shots took a lot of tries, but that's why I like them. They can't be easily duplicated.

That's a pretty neat idea for a promo poster. Well done. :thumbup:

Thanks. Sooner or later I was bound to get something to look half decent. :p

bradsh98
09-02-2009, 02:13 PM
That's why I thought...until he nailed some of the shots on the first take. I admit, some shots took a lot of tries, but that's why I like them. They can't be easily duplicated.

I guess that is what separates the "OMFG! That was F'n awesome!" from the "Yeah, that was pretty cool.."

I think this will be a very interesting video to see. Some of the things Venom did in the videos at his home absolutely blew my mind. Couple that with the high quality production that we saw in your last videos, and you have a sure winner. Since Venom is not yet widely known, it will take a bit of marketing to push sales, in my opinion.. However, once word gets out, you should be selling plenty of copies. I wish you all the best. I truly appreciate anyone that does their part to give back to the billiard community and you have certainly done some great things that, I believe, everyone can appreciate. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

dr2112
09-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Outstanding. I wanna know what kind of tip this cat plays with.

I am real curious about the tip. A couple years ago at the BCA Convention I saw a spongey/tacky pull over tip that hit incredible masse shots with little effort. Either way very entertaining and well done amazing stuff thanks for sharing and looking forward to your movie. :clapping::clapping:

Draz
09-02-2009, 04:34 PM
imma be buyin this dvd for sure! even if i cant do the moves, it would sick to just have!!!

:bow-down:

- Draz

sfleinen
09-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I look forward to seeing more about this project. It is very, very cool! :)

To date, this is my favorite trick shot video. Maybe it's the music, but I really love it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkWYtGcxj2c

Jenny:

Not to commandeer or sidetrack the thread, but that's the song "Kryptonite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kryptonite_%28song%29)" from 3 Doors Down (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Doors_Down). The lead singer, Brad Arnold, was 15 years old when he wrote that. :eek:

-Sean

nathandumoulin
09-03-2009, 07:24 AM
I am real curious about the tip. A couple years ago at the BCA Convention I saw a spongey/tacky pull over tip that hit incredible masse shots with little effort. Either way very entertaining and well done amazing stuff thanks for sharing and looking forward to your movie. :clapping::clapping:

Venom actually brought 8 different cues to the film shoot. 2 masse cues, 2 jump cues, a jump masse cue, and 3 playing cues. As far as I know, each one had a different type of tip on it.

lol, by the end of the 10 days shoot he had broken most of the tips off. We also had to replace the cloth mid shoot, as it was absolutely destroyed by day 4. The cloth had actual burn holes through it from the cue ball having so much spin on this one shot that took like 50 tries. You could even smell it burning.

ericyow
09-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Good luck with completing it! I'm fully confident this young star will rise to the top! I hope he comes and competes with us more in the future. Thanks for what you're doing for the sport.

Yow!

nathandumoulin
09-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Good luck with completing it! I'm fully confident this young star will rise to the top! I hope he comes and competes with us more in the future. Thanks for what you're doing for the sport.

Yow!

Thanks for the kind words Eric. They mean a lot to me. :)

nathandumoulin
09-14-2009, 07:19 AM
You said he destroyed equipment with his stroke? Will there be footage of flaming cue balls in this?

Flaming cue balls? I'm guessing your question is sarcastic? :confused:

No, there will not be any flaming cue balls in my video. lol

jlrowe
09-14-2009, 10:11 AM
A flaming cueball! That would be awesome. Throw some lighter fluid on it light her up and turn out the lights. That would be cool! Hey i might try this before we replace our simonis:eek: I am confident your vid will be a great success nathan.:thumbup: Venom is awesome!!!!!!!!