PDA

View Full Version : Keeping up with inflation

real irish
05-08-2009, 11:28 PM
No disrespect but, what is all this talk about betting a race to 7 for $20 or $30 a set ? Do people value money more now ? Everyone would bet higher and longer in the 70's and 80's. Is it the economy or people don't adjust for inflation ? Any answers ?

gunzby
05-08-2009, 11:40 PM
No disrespect but, what is all this talk about betting a race to 7 for $20 or $30 a set ? Do people value money more now ? Everyone would bet higher and longer in the 70's and 80's. Is it the economy or people don't adjust for inflation ? Any answers ?

They have no gamble in em. I played for more when I was nearly flat broke when I was just out of high school.

I actually shouldn't talk much since I don't play for money anymore. Heck I don't even play poker or gamble at all anymore, but it's not because of the economy. It's because I enjoyed it way too much for my own good. I never got in trouble, but it could've happened. I learned that sitting at a blackjack table for 12 hours without moving to go to the bathroom or for any other reason actually.

rlw
05-09-2009, 04:43 AM

You can only bet what you can afford to lose!!

macguy
05-09-2009, 06:34 AM
You can only bet what you can afford to lose!!

Or are willing to lose.
Often when someone says "People have no gamble". It is code for "I can't talk them into lock games I can't possibly lose". People might be surprised how much gamble players have if they could get
fair games. It is funny, you will go in the pool room and see two C players battling it out on an even footing while the A players in the room won't play without a lock. The C players may not be betting much, but at least both players are actually gambling. I always found that a curiosity in the pool room. The only players with any heart are the weaker players. Evidenced also by how many become pray of the better players.

When was the last time you saw one of the A players in your room go off? I used to watch Danny DiLiberto play every day and he never had the best of it. He would walk into the room and make a game right away. It didn't matter what speed you played he would make a game you could actually win at.

TX Poolnut
05-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Or are willing to lose.
Often when someone says "People have no gamble". It is code for "I can't talk them into lock games I can't possibly lose". People might be surprised how much gamble players have if they could get
fair games. It is funny, you will go in the pool room and see two C players battling it out on an even footing while the A players in the room won't play without a lock. The C players may not be betting much, but at least both players are actually gambling. I always found that a curiosity in the pool room. The only players with any heart are the weaker players. Evidenced also by how many become pray of the better players.

When was the last time you saw one of the A players in your room go off? I used to watch Danny DiLiberto play every day and he never had the best of it. He would walk into the room and make a game right away. It didn't matter what speed you played he would make a game you could actually win at.

Excellent post.

ShootingArts
05-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Seems that everybody that can play is just looking for fish now. There was a time when I loved a tough challenge table. It was just a little seven foot bar table but there were about ten tough players that played on it. At least five or six of them would be there every night and you got a good work out every time you went in the door. Five a game was the standard bet, the game started at seven or eight every evening and ended at two when the bar closed. In between four to eight guys kept challenges on the table.

The time was the early seventies, minimum wage was $1.25 and I figured I could live quite comfortably if I had a job grossing $200 a week. I took about that off of that little bar table every week playing in the game three to five nights a week. Of course there were nights when I lost a bit, did have to be on your toes to sneak out a winner.

Hu

Or are willing to lose.

TheBook
05-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I hear a lot of old timers talk about big money games back in the 50's. They talk about playing for $10,000 to $50,000. That is still a lot today but was really a lot back then. I think that the average wage at that time was about $2,600 per year.

A dollar isn't worth as much today except when the collection basket is passed.

Big Perm
05-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Or are willing to lose.

This is a great post....these days, many of the better players settle the match before play begins - either they catch a fish or want the game on their terms.....I would venture that, back in those days, guys would bring their best game and the person who had the stronger game that night won....

Regarding heart, my buddy and this other guy matched up the other night for $100 sets.....it was a fair match-up, both played tough, and whoever played better won.....that is gambling and that is heart....I don't think many people mind putting money in action as long as they have a 50/50 chance to pull out the win....nobody wants to donate or get steered...