PDA

View Full Version : A good night

PegLeg
05-09-2009, 06:52 AM
So my wife and daughter are having this cosmetics/makeup party at the house last night. You know the drill. A ton of woman show up, yack and spend a lot of money on over priced cosmetics.

There is no way I am staying home. My son an law arrives with my daughter and the two of us take off to the pool hall. My son in law dose not play so he plants himself at the bar to drink some beers and watch the Bruins game on the big screen TV. I watch the first period also and then decide it is time to shoot.

I get a table and start doing a few drills I have been working on. This guy Justin comes over to the table. I have met Justin before but don't know much about him or how well he plays. He says he is alone and can he join me. I say no problem.

We shoot a game of 8 ball to warm up and then he wants some action. Now I am not a betting man because to be honest I am just not good enough and usually get my butt kicked however I decide to go for it.

We decide on 8 ball, APA rules. Race to 5 for $90. Well the pool gods were looking down on me with favor. I put him away 5 to nothing. 2 of the games I messed up and left him in perfect position to finish me off and he didn't execute. I think I was able to do good because my table/game management skills have greatly improved. I didn't take the bad shots and I did my best to leave him nothing.

He paid up and I was willing to go again but he didn't want to. So the end result was the $90 paid my table time and bar tab and I had some cash left over. It was a good night.

JAM
05-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Whoever said "money won is sweeter than money earned" was onto something! :grin-square:

Congrats on a nice evening out! :)

trustyrusty
05-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Whoever said "money won is sweeter than money earned" was onto something! :grin-square:

Congrats on a nice evening out! :)

sounds to me like he earned that $90 thru his play....

won money means he'd have done nothing to deserve it. sorry, just the way I like to look at it.

JAM
05-09-2009, 07:29 AM
sounds to me like he earned that $90 thru his play....

won money means he'd have done nothing to deserve it. sorry, just the way I like to look at it.

Huh? Um, I'm assuming that he played well to win, making it sweet. Sorry, that's just how I look at it! :)

trustyrusty
05-09-2009, 07:34 AM
without working on and honing his game he might have never won - hence EARNED. :) I feel lottery money is money won....all you did was buy a ticket (no control over the outcome whatsoever). I still say he earned the $90.

JAM
05-09-2009, 07:37 AM
without working on and honing his game he might have never won - hence EARNED. :)

I was kind of capitalizing on a quote from Fast Eddie Felson in "The Color of Money": http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Color_of_Money

I kind of thought everybody's heard this quote before. Of course, the movie was in 1986. :o

trustyrusty
05-09-2009, 07:41 AM
I was kind of capitalizing on a quote from Fast Eddie Felson in "The Color of Money": http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Color_of_Money

I kind of thought everybody's heard this quote before. Of course, the movie was in 1986. :o

I've seen it, heard it, heard it repeated and quoted, and NEVER liked it...that's all. ;)

JAM
05-09-2009, 07:43 AM
I've seen it, heard it, heard it repeated and quoted, and NEVER liked it...that's all. ;)

I know what you mean about hearing the quotes from that particular movie. They're like a nightmare, aren't they? They just keep getting worse and worse. :grin-square:

TX Poolnut
05-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Yes, I'd say that was a good night, unless the little lady spent more than 90 dollars on cosmetics. :)

trustyrusty
05-09-2009, 07:48 AM
I know what you mean about hearing the quotes from that particular movie. They're like a nightmare, aren't they? They just keep getting worse and worse. :grin-square:

Keith had to have adlibbed his lines....his lines didn't seem contrived or over written (or maybe they just seemed more HIM than a character he was playing). Best in the movie in my opinion. Don't know if I explained that very well, but between his scenes and Forrset Whittakers - my favorites in the movie.

trustyrusty
05-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Yes, I'd say that was a good night, unless the little lady spent more than 90 dollars on cosmetics. :)

LOL - so true. I won a scramble one Saturday last year (over $400 in cash and prizes - including a pair of Maui Jims sunglasses), but the same day the wife spent every bit of that at a jewelry party - :eek: what are ya gonna do?? ;)

PegLeg
05-09-2009, 08:43 AM

Try $360 :eek: :mad:

TX Poolnut
05-09-2009, 09:48 AM

Doh! :):):):):):)

ShootingArts
05-09-2009, 10:18 AM

$360 on make up? That would buy a lot of beer and the beer would have the same effect. Maybe you need to put a draft beer set-up in your house. Maybe there is a reason I am a born again bachelor too, my wife never appreciated my humor! :D :D :D

Hu

inside_english
05-09-2009, 01:54 PM
...Not to rain on your parade, but Justin could have just lost $90 to you to keep you on the proverbial hook for future action.

So...watch out...:)

TXsouthpaw
05-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Its always nice when the action comes to you.

rackem
05-09-2009, 10:04 PM
We decide on 8 ball, APA rules. Race to 5 for $90.
Any Pocket Anyhow! Gambling at it's finest. :speechless::D
I guess $90 was all he had?
Hey, did you use the cue you got from me?:cool:

PegLeg
05-10-2009, 07:23 AM
We decide on 8 ball, APA rules. Race to 5 for $90.
Any Pocket Anyhow! Gambling at it's finest. :speechless::D
I guess $90 was all he had?
Hey, did you use the cue you got from me?:cool:

I wanted to play 9 Ball. He wanted 8. I asked call all shots and he said only the 8. Fine with me. Actually $90 was my upper limit assuming I lost I wanted enough $$ to settle my tab and not use plastic. I refuse to use plastic when I go out for night on the town. No cash, stay home.

No. I think I told you that cue was a gift to a buddy. I played with it the night I gave it to him and that has been it. He loves it and uses a few times a week. I played with my good old $177 eBay Dale Perry cue that has had the tip upgraded.

PegLeg
05-10-2009, 07:35 AM
...Not to rain on your parade, but Justin could have just lost $90 to you to keep you on the proverbial hook for future action.

So...watch out...:)

You could be right. After reading some the stories here on AZ I am always looking for the hustle.

To me gambling money is like extra cash. If I can't afford to lose it then I should not be gambling.

I will say this in my defense. I have been taking lessons about every other week since January. I have been spending a lot of time working on the basics. I have 3 or 4 good bridges. I have worked on my grip and stroke a lot. I now have a good solid pre-shot routine. I have started using safetys more and working on my table/game management. After 4 months of really working on my game and making sure to practice several times a week (I don't have a table so it is not always easy) I feel like my game is finally starting to come together.

I play a tournament every Tuesday night. There is this guy Frank who I drew twice in the past and he cleaned my clock. I drew him a couple of weeks ago for the 3rd. time and beat him. That was when it really occurred to me that I was starting to put things together. It was also a good shot of confidence which is what I needed. I can now approach the table and know that I can beat these people.