PDA

View Full Version : Joint awareness.

jensen_lover
05-09-2009, 12:54 PM
I read the for sale of a fellow azer about a Jensen that had a cracked ivory joint. One response was that if you play with an ivory joint in cold weather it can crack easily. My question is what about in extremely warm and humid climates? I live in New Orleans and over 50% of the year it is over 85 degrees with very high humidity. I usually play in airconditioning but every now and again I play in my shed with no climate control. Will this affect any type of joint? What about the woods, will they become warped easily or ruined? Thank you.

RenoRex
05-09-2009, 07:26 PM
The only case I can remember where an Ivory Joint cracked was due
to the Shaft not being snugged up tight against it during play, and I
imagine that would definitely create a problem with Ivory.

As for Humidity, we have 5-15% in most areas of Nevada during the
Summer months and that can easily produce warpage in Shafts and
Cue Butts unless you store them in a climate controlled area most of
the time.

Back in 1974, I ordered a Brand New Palmer Model "M" with 2 Shafts while
living in the Reno, Nevada area and within 6 months both Shafts were
exhibiting excessive warpage ..... so much, I couldn't play with either of them.
Amazingly, after moving to the San Francisco Bay Area from 1976 to 1982,
both Shafts returned to being (almost) straight within a two year period.
The Humidity there was in the perfect range for Cues and Shafts.

Strange, huh ?

TXsouthpaw
05-09-2009, 07:37 PM
I live in south texas and the humidity is just as bad. I play with a schon that has an ivory joint and ferrule and I play in my convereted garage all the time and i keep the stick in there when im not using it. The humidity in there goes from 30% to 99% (i keep a hydrometer on the wall) never had a problem with the joint or the ferrule.

jensen_lover
05-10-2009, 12:35 PM
How about steel joints. Will they rust or do they have special coatings to prevent that? I just noticed my Jensen shaft is starting to warp a bit. The tip even comes up when rolled. It may be because it is shaved down though. That thing never comes out of the case unless in air conditioning.

chin0
05-10-2009, 04:42 PM
keep your cue in a case after playing, don't lean it against anything, and keep it in a cool and dry place and it should be fine. Don't leave cue and case in the car for prolong periods of time, because two things can happen, the weather can kill your cue, or the car theif would break your window and steal your stuff. Don't want either of those to happen.

JoseV
05-10-2009, 05:09 PM
keep your cue in a case after playing, don't lean it against anything, and keep it in a cool and dry place and it should be fine. Don't leave cue and case in the car for prolong periods of time, because two things can happen, the weather can kill your cue, or the car theif would break your window and steal your stuff. Don't want either of those to happen.

I agree with Chino, Leaving your cue case in a car with that kind of weather is not good and just leaving your cue laying around in the case in that heat is probally not good for it. When i was stationed in Alaska I never had any issues with my ivory and Fairbanks is one of the coldest places in Ak and never had any issues with S.S. Joints in AK

Now i got the same cue here in Iraq and God knows its hot 130 degree worth i keep my cue in my room with the AC on i even take my cue with me on convoy missions to other bases becuse they are the places i play pool and i havnt noticed anything wrong Funny i guess my Cue is Combat proven lol.

jensen_lover
05-10-2009, 05:47 PM
I can not believe that some people do not support our troops. It is disgusting when people (Nancy Pelosi) say we need to watch our troops coming home because they might wig out. Thank you for protecting us.