PDA

View Full Version : How to Stop Moori from mushroom?

luv1pocket
05-17-2009, 08:30 PM
How do I stop or slow down a new Moori from mushrooming? I get one and a week later its mushroomed. I try to sand the edges with 750 grit sandpaper but without a lathe its difficult.
I've got a grazer but it doesn't take everything down even sometimes.

BHQ
05-17-2009, 08:44 PM
How do I stop or slow down a new Moori from mushrooming? I get one and a week later its mushroomed. I try to sand the edges with 750 grit sandpaper but without a lathe its difficult.
put on a lepro or other ??? ;)
i quit using mooris for that same reason
got tired of replacing them out of my pocket
they didnt used to be like that
ah, the good ol days :thumbup:

manwon
05-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Either use a harder Moori Tip or Stop shooting so hard.

Ky Boy
05-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Newer Moori's are very prone to mushroom; especially the slow and medium. I went to the quick for awhile and after the initial mushrooming and working down again they did not mushroom anymore.

I can use the same tip for a year or so if I like it. The moori quick began to glaze a little and that is when I comepletely got away from them. I like the Sniper tip from Tiger the best. They play alot like the moori medium and haven't changed since I started using them.

Gary

Klink
05-17-2009, 09:52 PM
I agree, I am done with Moori's. I just drove my cue tip repair guy crazy going thru 3 boxes of Moori's to find a good one.

LAlouie
05-18-2009, 01:29 AM

Don't use your cuetip to hammer nails.:)

luv1pocket
05-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Well I guess I will switch to another tip. Good to hear it just isn't me having a problem with Moori tips.
Why pay so much if they mushroom easily? I might just switch to a Kamui hard tip and if that doesn't work out back to regular tips for good.

put on a lepro or other ??? ;)
i quit using mooris for that same reason
got tired of replacing them out of my pocket
they didnt used to be like that
ah, the good ol days :thumbup:

obrien714
05-19-2009, 02:28 PM
i read in the for sale section wizard are some nice layered tips with the qualit of the old mori tips.. they are cheap price wise... search the forum,,,

pat

luckily i have 20 old mori tips in reserve.

pulzcul
05-19-2009, 02:41 PM
I've got mediums on 2 shafts. Initially I broke with them and used a small brass hammer on them to compress them. I've got a jury rigged lathe made from a hand drill to reshape them. It took 3 times but now they are perfect. I only use 220 on the edge now before I shoot and they should last a long time. :cool: I personally think their worth it.

Zippy371
05-19-2009, 02:51 PM
As a previous poster said just let them mushroom and trim them. Try a edge trimmer that looks a bit like a burnisher that the entire tip will fit in. It will be a bit easier to keep it even. Just take your time. I like many others have gone away from them. In my case all layered tips. The just don't seem consistent adn take too long to break in. I like compressed triangles. They hit the same from one to another. Just my opinion. If your stuck on a layered tip I would try a sniper. They seem the most consistent. Good Luck

Jason

SloRoller
05-19-2009, 03:00 PM
I have had 3 moori medium's put on my cue (by Guido in BCA vegas) in the last 3 years and none of them ever mushroomed. Several players in our league play with them with no issues either.

I used to play with lepro's that did mushroom and required maintenace.

Sounds to me you need to get better quality moori's.

I wish there was some kind of QA done on these before they ship out, perhaps grade levels? Moori medium grade A,B,C etc...

SR

Travis3c
05-19-2009, 03:01 PM
well i use Moori Mediums and thats about all i install on customer cues with the occasional quicks, I havent had or seen any problems with them mushrooming when i install them. Of course i use a lathe and micropolish the sides of it tip up to 15000 grit. Im the only tip guy in my town so i do alot of them. Of couse its probally how hard your hitting also.

12squared
05-19-2009, 03:13 PM
When I install a moori or any layered tip, I initially cut them in a slight wedge. Meaning the very tip is a little thinner than the base, which is even with the ferrule. They do mushroom a little and if they mushroom more than what I have made allowances for, I will wait a while then trim it once and they seem to be fine from then on.

I have no idea if I'm making sense, but it works well for me.

Dave

J$Cincy
05-19-2009, 03:19 PM
they are garbage, i bought some wizard mediums from fastandloose on here and they have held up great.

cueguy
05-19-2009, 03:24 PM
When I install a moori or any layered tip, I initially cut them in a slight wedge. Meaning the very tip is a little thinner than the base, which is even with the ferrule. They do mushroom a little and if they mushroom more than what I have made allowances for, I will wait a while then trim it once and they seem to be fine from then on.

I have no idea if I'm making sense, but it works well for me.

Dave

I know just what you mean - and I do it (just a hair). One of the main things to do with Moori's is to make sure you burnish well. Just use a little bit of Pappa's 409 (spit;-)...

Larry

FAST_N_LOOSE
05-19-2009, 03:27 PM
THIS WAS THE ISSUE THAT PUSHED ME TO FIND A REPLACEMENT FOR MORRI......

THAT WAS WHEN I FOUND THE WIZARD TIPS, AND I HAVEN'T HAD AN ISSUE SINCE.

P.S. TO STOP THE MOORI FROM MUSHROOMING, I WAS UNDERCUTTING THEM, LIKE 12SQUARED MENTION WHEN I INSTALLED THEM. AFTER THEY MUSHROOMED, I CUT OFF A LAYER OR 2, RECUT THE EDGES, AND REBURNISHED. (I ALSO FOUND THAT USING A TRUE LEATHER BURNISHING FLUID HELPED SLOW THE MUSHROOMING DOWN)

Marcus