PDA

View Full Version : Who is doing full-splice cues these days?

Cue Guru
05-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Hello everyone.

I was curious about something.

We all know that less than 10 years ago, there wae very few cue makers still doing a full splice butt (other than house cue conversions).

Burton Spain always did that (with a few exceptions I assume) and he handed his knolege over to Joel Hercek, so he's doing it now.

So, like Joel, who is making their own full splice blanks and completing them into cues these days?

Anyway, here's a list of the ones I know of... (Thanks to members who have clarified and added to this list!!!)

John Davis
Peter Tascarella
Joel Hercek
Paul Mottey
James White
Prather
S&S Cues
Blackcreek Cues
Fanelli
Mark Bear
Murray Tucker
Ed Prewitt
Jerry Terbrock
Scott Whisler

There are others who are offering full splice cues, but I don't know if they make their own blanks. Even Prather is a bit off an odd one, as he makes the blanks and he makes the cues, but not necessarily makes a specific blank for a specic cue if you know what I mean, but regardless, he makes full splice blanks and cues (or his compoany does anyway).

Back on track- who makes full splice blanks and cues these days? Am I wrong in my list above (which I will continue to edit as other cue makers are brought to my attention)? In general, this is a blank with veneers I am refering to. Joe Barringer makes full splice blanks with no veneers (that I am aware of) again- please correct me as I want a reliable list when I am done for everyone who is interested, to rely on.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. I love the full splice, and want to see that art form continue long after we are gone.:thumbup:

shamadam
05-18-2009, 09:02 AM
John Davis, and Paul Sumrall (S & S Cues) are the two the come to mind.

dirtypool40
05-18-2009, 09:03 AM
I think John Showman and Travis @ Blackcreek are as well.

abbassi
05-18-2009, 09:21 AM
I believe some of Paul Fannelli butterfly cues he made recently are full splice. Not exactly sure.

RenoRex
05-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Prather ...

hangemhigh
05-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Mark Bear, Bill Webb

Cue Guru
05-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks Guys.
I checked quickly and it appears John Davis (naturally- didn't realize he was back!), S&S and Blackcreek are all doing ful splice cues with Veneers. Could not verify Showman quickly, so he's not out!

Fanelli as well- best known for the butterfly, he does full splice 'prongs' as well.

List updated!

PS would lobe to have a Tascarella made with a Davis blank.... *drool* Might have to make some calls and sell the cars...

Cue Guru
05-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Mark Bear, Bill Webb

Mark added; I understand Billy Webb is no longer making cues...:(

cuemasterpieces
05-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Murray Tucker ???

http://www.murraytucker.com/brazfs1.htm

vgodley1
05-18-2009, 03:27 PM
Carolina Cues Makes their own blanks and I saw a few of their full splice cues, which looked very nice.

Cue Guru
05-18-2009, 03:27 PM
I saw his site, (Murray Tucker) but beleive he is getting blanks from Prather or Cue Components- I haven't seen any with veneers. I was trying to keep it to that croud, but he does in fact offer full splice cues, as your link shows.

If he is making his own blanks, and does offer veneers, I would like to know, and will gladly add him to the roster in that case.;)

Carolina confuses me a bit. They call just about everything a splice, but I think most of those are not a true full-splice. The ring above the rap is a give-away; however there is a way to do that (well, two actually) that I am aware of; they appear to me to be typical cut points with four pieces inlaid (which was very typical for many years). And is also a bit of a dying art, with the advent of CNC points (ala Joss east, Schon etc.)

I am certain they make a quality cue, and do show some full splice cues with no wrap, but I am a bit hesitant to put them on this list at the moment... If you can verify they do fit my little thread here, I will be glad to add them to the lst!

Worminator
05-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Andy Gilbert

hangemhigh
05-18-2009, 07:08 PM
I saw his site, (Murray Tucker) but beleive he is getting blanks from Prather or Cue Components- I haven't seen any with veneers. I was trying to keep it to that croud, but he does in fact offer full splice cues, as your link shows.

If he is making his own blanks, and does offer veneers, I would like to know, and will gladly add him to the roster in that case.;)

Carolina confuses me a bit. They call just about everything a splice, but I think most of those are not a true full-splice. The ring above the rap is a give-away; however there is a way to do that (well, two actually) that I am aware of; they appear to me to be typical cut points with four pieces inlaid (which was very typical for many years). And is also a bit of a dying art, with the advent of CNC points (ala Joss east, Schon etc.)

I am certain they make a quality cue, and do show some full splice cues with no wrap, but I am a bit hesitant to put them on this list at the moment... If you can verify they do fit my little thread here, I will be glad to add them to the lst!

Here are 4 full spliced cues, blanks made by John Davis, and cues made by $CASH$. The cues with wraps are double full spliced, with the second splice below the wrap. The top cue has an inlaid ring, remaining a double full splice.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/hangem_high/DSC00896.jpg

poolhustler
05-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Ed Prewitt will have a full splice cue available soon. Not list worthy yet!!!

ragbug74
05-19-2009, 05:35 AM
I believe Darrin Hill, north of Chicago, does his own full-splices. Check out his webpage: www.hillscues.com. He does some beautiful work and is a great guy.

Cue Guru
05-19-2009, 05:37 AM
Here are 4 full spliced cues, blanks made by John Davis, and cues made by $CASH$. The cues with wraps are double full spliced, with the second splice below the wrap. The top cue has an inlaid ring, remaining a double full splice.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/hangem_high/DSC00896.jpg

Excellent info, but not exactly what I was looking for.

The Cash Cues site is a bit barren- but I see he is still around. John Davis is on the list above; Cash does not make the blanks themselves.

Excellent cues by the way!

Cue Guru
05-19-2009, 05:40 AM
I believe Darrin Hill, north of Chicago, does his own full-splices. Check out his webpage: www.hillscues.com. He does some beautiful work and is a great guy.

There is a very nice Hill available right now that I nearly bought myself.

I have not been able to determine if he buys the blanks from Prather or makes them himself.

The Prather blanks are quite nice by the way...

If we can confirm he is making his own blanks, I will gladly add him to the list.:)

hangemhigh
05-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Excellent info, but not exactly what I was looking for.

The Cash Cues site is a bit barren- but I see he is still around. John Davis is on the list above; Cash does not make the blanks themselves.

Excellent cues by the way!

I wanted to provide an example of a full splice with an A-ring like you described,which was highlighted in your quote. Cash made F/S blanks are in the works, thanks.

Cue Guru
05-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Very cool.

Please keep us posted on Cash as they progress. I am happy to add them to the list once they are making their own blanks!:thumbup:

Anyone else?

cueaddicts
05-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Andy Gilbert makes his own full-splice blanks, but he's only made an extremely limited supply of them.

James White/Paul Mottey, also.

Several more CMs doing them now than was the case 10 or so yrs ago, that's for sure !!

Cue Guru
05-19-2009, 07:35 AM
Really? White/Mottey are doing their own blanks? Interesting, excellent news!

I was just looking at a James White this past weekend... You can certainly tell it comes from Mottey's shop! Without the signature, you can hardly tell who made it!

Anyway, I will add them to the list... May have to contact James White too...:)

sfleinen
05-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Folks:

Evgeny Stalev has a beautiful full-splice that is both his break cue and playing cue. The fact that he, one of the most powerful breakers, breaks with this full-splice playing cue, says a lot about its construction.

There was a thread about Russian pool cues here:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=1807588

Alexander Efremov, the cue luthier that made Evgeny's cue, has other full-splice work on display here:

http://efremovcues.com/eng/efrcue_eng.htm

Truly beautiful craftsmanship on display in both those links!
-Sean

ridewiththewind
05-19-2009, 09:36 AM

Early on, Murray did a few non-veneered FS cues using Schmelke blanks. However, he has not used a pre-made FS blank for a while now. He has re-tooled his shop to be able to make his own, both veneered and non-veneered, FS blanks.

The first Brazilian rosewood FS on his site with the ivory butt plate was completed for a member here fairly recently. The next one from there is BdR, and was made for me, the next one is PH/Ebony and was made for a member here, the last one shown is another Brazilian rosewood, and that one was made for himself...but I hear that his wife has appropriated it. :wink: All of the aforementioned are from FS blanks that he crafted himself.

I have seen an example of his veneered FS blanks...but he will not use them until he has them perfect. They are actually pretty good right now, but Murray is a stickler for getting to as close to perfection with his blanks as possible. Also, he has been incredibly busy with his family business, and has produced very very few cues in the last couple of years. It may be a little bit before we see one of these surface as a cue...but I am fairly sure that we will. :)

As to the Prather shop...it is my understanding that Jeff Prather is the one actually making the veneered FS blanks....Dan Sr's son. Their veneered FS blanks are of very high quality....I am actually expecting my Prather blank cue to be delivered tomorrow evening. :D

Lisa

Cue Guru
05-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks, Lisa!

I'l add Murry to the list.

As to Prather, I think that name is "the company" Prather, and not Dan himself. I don't think he makes many cues at all these days (but he still does) and if he did/does a full-splice he will use a Prather blank (that aparently his son makes) in his cue.

So, yes, the one maker is not making the ENTIRE cue; however it is all the same family!

I beleive Tascarella falls into this catergory as well- Pete and Pete Jr. working as a team at the moment, with Jr. doing the bulk of the work.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong...:)

ridewiththewind
05-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks, Lisa!

I'l add Murry to the list.

As to Prather, I think that name is "the company" Prather, and not Dan himself. I don't think he makes many cues at all these days (but he still does) and if he did/does a full-splice he will use a Prather blank (that aparently his son makes) in his cue.

So, yes, the one maker is not making the ENTIRE cue; however it is all the same family!

I beleive Tascarella falls into this catergory as well- Pete and Pete Jr. working as a team at the moment, with Jr. doing the bulk of the work.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong...:)

No problem...just make sure to spell it right....LoL. Murray Tucker III/Tucker Cue Works.

Lisa

UPlayLucky
05-19-2009, 12:14 PM
I believe Ed Prewitt is making full splice cues too.

Cue Guru
05-19-2009, 12:49 PM
No problem...just make sure to spell it right....LoL. Murray Tucker III/Tucker Cue Works.

Lisa

It is spelled right on the top page... Just a typo in my reply!:thumbup:

I believe Ed Prewitt is making full splice cues too.

Cannot find anything on him- does he have a web site or contact info?:confused:

cueboy007
05-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Gina cues?!
And Joe Barringer? (Never dealt with Joe though)

Cue Guru
05-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Folks:

Evgeny Stalev has a beautiful full-splice that is both his break cue and playing cue. The fact that he, one of the most powerful breakers, breaks with this full-splice playing cue, says a lot about its construction.

There was a thread about Russian pool cues here:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=1807588

Alexander Efremov, the cue luthier that made Evgeny's cue, has other full-splice work on display here:

http://efremovcues.com/eng/efrcue_eng.htm

Truly beautiful craftsmanship on display in both those links!
-Sean

Very interesting information! I'm sure it will be checked out by many members here...:thumbup:

jus7_1nsan3
06-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Is there any differnce in the quality between full splice and the other cues? I mean did they hit very differntly and which is better option-full splice or for example 4,6,8 point cue?I will be very happy, if somebody can explain me,because I don't have any idea.. Thanks ;)

cueman
06-02-2009, 09:41 AM
I make full splice cues from scratch in my shop.

ridewiththewind
06-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Is there any differnce in the quality between full splice and the other cues? I mean did they hit very differntly and which is better option-full splice or for example 4,6,8 point cue?I will be very happy, if somebody can explain me,because I don't have any idea.. Thanks ;)

I do not think that any one construction technique, with regards to full (long) splice and short splice, that is 'better' than the other. Makers have been using the short splice technique for many many moons now, and it has held tried and true. In days past, most full (long) splices were actually crafted in a production type setting...Brunswick, and later on...Helmstetter, Adams, Dufferin, etc. I would suspect that this was partly due to the fact that crafting a full (long) splice requires special jigs, and a lot of material waste.

Then along came Burton Spain...who developed a special full splicing technique that was all his own. That same technique can still be found today in the cues of Joel Hercek, and in the blanks and cues of John Davis, Burton's protege.

I think the differences between the full and short splices, with regards to play, is simply a matter of preference. For those, like myself, who came up playing with the barstick off the rack, it is a familiar feel in the hand...and so I have found that I really prefer playing with a wrapless full splice cue. I also happen to generally prefer the looks as well. However, there are many makers who make a bang-up playing short spliced cue...and have for a long time.

Lisa

bell
06-02-2009, 03:00 PM
I make full splice cues from scratch in my shop.

Could you show a pic of the butt and forearem BEFORE they are glued togther?

jus7_1nsan3
06-03-2009, 06:47 AM
I do not think that any one construction technique, with regards to full (long) splice and short splice, that is 'better' than the other. Makers have been using the short splice technique for many many moons now, and it has held tried and true. In days past, most full (long) splices were actually crafted in a production type setting...Brunswick, and later on...Helmstetter, Adams, Dufferin, etc. I would suspect that this was partly due to the fact that crafting a full (long) splice requires special jigs, and a lot of material waste.

Then along came Burton Spain...who developed a special full splicing technique that was all his own. That same technique can still be found today in the cues of Joel Hercek, and in the blanks and cues of John Davis, Burton's protege.

I think the differences between the full and short splices, with regards to play, is simply a matter of preference. For those, like myself, who came up playing with the barstick off the rack, it is a familiar feel in the hand...and so I have found that I really prefer playing with a wrapless full splice cue. I also happen to generally prefer the looks as well. However, there are many makers who make a bang-up playing short spliced cue...and have for a long time.

Lisa

Thanks for the answer !!! I believe that all big manufacterers don't use full splice.I mean Predator,schon,viking and so on.

ridewiththewind
06-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the answer !!! I believe that all big manufacterers don't use full splice.I mean Predator,schon,viking and so on.

That is why in my post I stated 'in days past'. :) Most of the manufacturers that you have listed above have actually moved almost all their cue lines into that of large production CNC. In this case, most of the points are inlayed, as opposed to spliced in.

Lisa

Cue Guru
06-04-2009, 06:25 AM
Is the full splice technique better?

In my opinion, yes.

Now, that being said, ever hit with a Szamboti? Both Gus and Barry do (did) short splice points- four separate pieces set into the v-grooves. They hit as good, if not better, than a full splice does. I had the unique pleasure of hitting with a very old Gus years ago- the chance to buy it too, but I couldn't come up with all the money fast enough. That is a big regret- it went to a collector in Japan in stead.:mad:

The reason is in Burton's book: Burton made full-splice blanks for Balabushka and once George got them, he would cut the handle off to add "bushka" rings. So Burton figured why the hell am I doing all this work, when I can send him short splices (by the way, I hate that term for this method)- just a forearm with four seperate points and veneer stacks. WAY easier to make perfect, and he is quite happy with them, and I can control the quality to a higher standard. Everyone is happy.

So, that became the norm in the industry and the full-splice was nearly a totally lost art.

Then Burton's last hoorah was to re-introduce the world to the full-splice blank, and the price of old Titlist cues went through the roof shortly thereafter.

I was always facinated with the 'technology' if you will of just how that joint is done. So, with Burton's book in hand, I made one.:)

People once again realized that splicing the wood produces a continuous circuit from the joint through the handle, and I fell (as do some others out there) that this is the way to do it. I equate it to the neck-through design of guitar making. Yes, the bolt-on Strat and glued-on Gibson sound great, but the idea of a complete circuit from the nut to the bridge and the strings on top makes (in my opinion) a superior instrument. More sustain, better tone, no problems with alignment. Just better. BUT, it is expensive, and not every custom guitar buyer wants that technique...

Making a full splice with high-precision is not easy- milling four or more points into a turned forearm running on centers IS easy- easy in the fact that a very high level of precision is achievable with relatively low cost equipment. Mill, dividing head, 90 degree cutter, patience. That's all you need to make great forearms.

In a full-splice, if you do not make the splice cuts absolutely perfectly, the forearm and handle will not splice together perfectly, and the points will not be even when it is turned- there can be NO run out at this joint, because run out leads to uneven points. Some corrections can be made if your stock is large enough, but in general, no one wants to use such huge pieces.

This is why my first cue does not have even points- it was not cut to the level of precision needed for even points. And you see the result.

Think about this- the angle you cut in the forearm is (if I remember back the 10 years ago) 1 degree or so. that shallow angle has zero tolerance for run-out. 0.003 run out will equate to a clearly visible disparity in finished point height. 0.003 is the thickness of a sheet of paper- not a lot...

I also feel I have a greater respect for those who make a full splice, because I DO understand what is involved in the process first hand, and when a nice even set of points are the result, it is a truly beautiful thing to see and most importantly, to play with!:thumbup:

maldito
06-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Murray Tucker ???

http://www.murraytucker.com/brazfs1.htm

Great looking cues - design (simple ,elegant, classy) - but it looks like you are gonna wait if you got one in the making - and he is not taking orders currently - don't know how they play - anyone out there got one???

http://murraytucker.com/

Cue Guru
06-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Looks to me like Murray does some nice work!

ridewiththewind
06-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Great looking cues - design (simple ,elegant, classy) - but it looks like you are gonna wait if you got one in the making - and he is not taking orders currently - don't know how they play - anyone out there got one???

http://murraytucker.com/

I do!! http://www.murraytucker.com/bdrfs1.htm

Murray never really did take orders, in the traditional sense. He typically makes what he likes, and then finds the 'right' person for the cue OR he pays attention to what someone may be wishing for in a cue, and if it sounds interesting to him, then he makes it...but he still does what he likes with regards to the design element. This keeps it fresh and interesting for him.

People are forewarned going in by Murray himself, that he is not going to break any land speed records with regards to the build time. Murray is a self-admitted 'hobbyist' cue maker. He works at his family's extremely busy business: http://www.tuckerbuilt.com/ He is also a dedicated family man, and spends as much time with them as he can when not working. If there is time left over for him to get in to the shop, then he does. However, summertime is when he is likely to go 'walkabout'...preferring to spend his free time with his family doing some saltwater fishing or playing golf.

It is for those reasons mentioned above that he does not really take orders, nor accepts deposits. He will not accept payment of any kind until the cue is ready to ship. Patience is an absolute requirement.

With all that said...his cues are even cleaner than they look in the pics, if that is even imaginable. I have been told by another Tucker owner who did do side-by-side comparisons with a SugarTree, and a Zylr...that the Tucker's hit and play is very comparable. This Tucker owner sold off both his ST and Zylr in favor of the Tucker. That is saying a LOT! Also, the fact that you very very rarely ever see one come available for sale is another testament of how well these cues are made and play. I know that I will never part with mine, and have been made some very generous offers for it.

Murray is a great guy to work with, and I would do it again in a minute. I suspect that as his children get older, he will find his way back in to the shop and start making more cues...maybe even more frequently. I do know that at one point, he was planning on setting up his shop to do strictly full splice cues. Only time will tell what Murray has in store for us next!! :thumbup:

Lisa

jazznpool
06-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Add Ed Prewitt to the list. No blanks for planned for sale but they will appear as Ed's cues real soon.

Martin

Hello everyone.

I was curious about something.

We all know that less than 10 years ago, there wae very few cue makers still doing a full splice butt (other than house cue conversions).

Burton Spain always did that (with a few exceptions I assume) and he handed his knolege over to Joel Hercek, so he's doing it now.

So, like Joel, who is making their own full splice blanks and completing them into cues these days?

Anyway, here's a list of the ones I know of... (Thanks to members who have clarified and added to this list!!!)

John Davis
Peter Tascarella
Joel Hercek
Paul Mottey
James White
Prather
S&S Cues
Blackcreek Cues
Fanelli
Mark Bear
Murray Tucker

There are others who are offering full splice cues, but I don't know if they make their own blanks. Even Prather is a bit off an odd one, as he makes the blanks and he makes the cues, but not necessarily makes a specific blank for a specic cue if you know what I mean, but regardless, he makes full splice blanks and cues (or his compoany does anyway).

Back on track- who makes full splice blanks and cues these days? Am I wrong in my list above (which I will continue to edit as other cue makers are brought to my attention)? In general, this is a blank with veneers I am refering to. Joe Barringer makes full splice blanks with no veneers (that I am aware of) again- please correct me as I want a reliable list when I am done for everyone who is interested, to rely on.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. I love the full splice, and want to see that art form continue long after we are gone.:thumbup:

PURR1965
06-05-2009, 06:00 AM
Hi there,

Would anyone have more info on John Davis ( when he started etc ), how many complete cues has he built to date?
I only see his blanks coming up for sale but rarely even seen a whole cue.

Thanks
Din

Cue Guru
06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
I am not sure when John Started, but I have spoken to him, and he was out of the game for quite a while. So, he 'seems' new, but in fact he is one of the legends...

Here's some neat info:

...In 1970, [Burton] Spain sold his cue business to tool and die maker, John Davis, who had been assisting Spain for a number of years. Balabushka continued buying blanks from Davis in lieu of Spain during the following year. In 1971 Balabushka met Penndel, Pennsylvania native Gus Szamboti at a tournament...

(Above from Wikipedia)

Now I have some conflicting information (first hand) that in the mid-seventies, Burton still had equipment in his basement, and was still doing cue work. Maybe he was bored with making blanks for George? Maybe he only did full cues of his own? Maybe just repairs? I cannot get any more detail that what I have from that angle.

So, for about a year, John was supplying George. There may well have been some overlap, say when Gus couldn't meet the demand of George. That is pure speculation on my part, but I can certainly find that out for sure. If I was George, I would want to have at least two sources of supply so I never end up with no blank to make a cue from...

As to full cue making, I do beleive John is capable of making a full cue, but it seems he has focused his efforts on making blanks only these days. I did not enquire about that in our last conversation, so it may be he will make a full cue if asked...

Bandanna Joe
06-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Add Jerry Terbrock to the list.

Jerry told me that he is now making full splice cues from scratch.
(636) 861-3350

hangemhigh
06-05-2009, 09:12 AM
As to full cue making, I do beleive John is capable of making a full cue, but it seems he has focused his efforts on making blanks only these days. I did not enquire about that in our last conversation, so it may be he will make a full cue if asked...[/QUOTE]

John is more than capable of making a full cue, and at this time that is what he is concentrating on doing. His blanks will be harder to obtain, and we have already seen several examples of his cues surfacing.

Cue Guru
06-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Interesting...

He made no indication to me that his blanks would be harder to get, or that he was making full cues.

I have two blanks on the way- I was planing to keep only one of them... Maybe I should start buying them up?

hangemhigh
06-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Interesting...

He made no indication to me that his blanks would be harder to get, or that he was making full cues.

I have two blanks on the way- I was planing to keep only one of them... Maybe I should start buying them up?

John has been making cues as well as selling blanks the whole time.

cbaumann212
06-05-2009, 10:39 AM
This guy is phenomenal. He is so knowledheable yet humble. I ordered a blank w/o a wrap from John Davis about a week ago. It looks incredible. He makes cues but it doesn't seem to be as high on his priority list. I cannot believe how reasonably priced his blanks are and he doesn't ask for money up front. You don't like it, you don't pay. And on top of all this, he probably gave my father $200-300 of wood to use for making pens. I am going back for more blanks later in the year. He has buckets of blanks for sale at his shop as well and normal turnaround time is about 3 months.

Cue Guru
06-05-2009, 11:35 AM
John has been making cues as well as selling blanks the whole time.

Do you mean since the 70's as the whole time?

My understanding is that he was 'retired' for a while and fairly recently got back into it. Not sure where I heard that from, but it might have been from John or possibly Barbara...

Even if this information is accurate, one man's definition of 'retired' and another's are not necessarily the same...

PURR1965
06-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the info, well I know he makes whole cues as I have one see attached link( http://www.imageloop.com/en/slideshow/1f4203a8-7e63-1bdf-8428-12313b00d891/index.htm / http://www.imageloop.com/en/slideshow/38a9f45c-8c1a-1b50-9363-12313b00d891/index.htm ).

I actually was wondering how many complete cues there are floating around as John and I started talking about this one early 2007 and well it was in my hands in 2008 ;)

( dont mean to hijack the thread )
Thanks
Din

Cue Guru
06-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Looks fantastic!:thumbup:

Cornerman
06-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Do you mean since the 70's as the whole time?

My understanding is that he was 'retired' for a while and fairly recently got back into it. Not sure where I heard that from, but it might have been from John or possibly Barbara...

Even if this information is accurate, one man's definition of 'retired' and another's are not necessarily the same...You may have read it somewhere. I certainly wrote it somewhere (InsidePOOL Magazine a couple of years ago).

He retired when Balabushka started buying blanks from Gus Szamboti. So, he went back to his machining trade. He still has a full-time job.

He re-started making blanks a couple of years ago when he found out that cue building had gained a popular following. He was still building up his cue building equpiment, but people were ordering a lot of blanks. I don't know where he stands today as far as percentages of blank sales vs. cue sales.

Fred

Cue Guru
06-08-2009, 10:42 AM
That makes sense, and also why there seems to be some confusion on the subject.

Good info!:thumbup:

hangemhigh
06-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the info, well I know he makes whole cues as I have one see attached link( http://www.imageloop.com/en/slideshow/1f4203a8-7e63-1bdf-8428-12313b00d891/index.htm / http://www.imageloop.com/en/slideshow/38a9f45c-8c1a-1b50-9363-12313b00d891/index.htm ).

I actually was wondering how many complete cues there are floating around as John and I started talking about this one early 2007 and well it was in my hands in 2008 ;)

( dont mean to hijack the thread )
Thanks
Din

I would say 10 or less. I have an Ebony on Ebony, and there are a few members that have a Davis cue as well.

shakes
06-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Whisler cues is making them, although his are recuts, not veneers. I believe his name is Scott Whisler.

http://www.whislercues.com/whislerfullsplicecues.htm

Cue Guru
06-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Nothing wrong with recuts! I think it is actually easier for the bottom miter to do recuts actually...

Murray Tucker
06-16-2009, 07:11 AM
I do!! http://www.murraytucker.com/bdrfs1.htm

However, summertime is when he is likely to go 'walkabout'...

Lisa

Walkabout? Me? Actually I've been pretty busy lately......................

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq98/tuckeriii/boat.jpg

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq98/tuckeriii/fish1.jpg

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq98/tuckeriii/DSCN1577.jpg