PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 or 1 inch ivory ferrule?

cueboy007
05-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Which one would you choose and why?

nathandumoulin
05-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Which one would you choose and why?

I know absolutely nothing about cues, so I'm certain that other people will be of more assistance later on. However one thing I have noticed lately, is that the low deflection shaft manufacturers have been progressively using shorter and shorter ferules. Some are as short as 3/8ths. Im guessing there's a reason for this?

dirtypool40
05-19-2009, 07:53 AM
And Smoochy and their "ZERO DEFLECTION" snake oil of the 80's used 1.25" ferrules.

I think some of it is wanting to look different.

You can play with almost anything. Find something you like the hit of and practice.

nathandumoulin
05-19-2009, 07:56 AM
You can play with almost anything. Find something you like the hit of and practice.

I was assuming that he's having a custom cue made up, and wants to do a little research beforehand.

matcase
05-19-2009, 07:58 AM
1 inch. It looks better to my eye. I don't think it makes any difference in play.

Impact Blue
05-19-2009, 08:04 AM
There's a generalized idea of reduced end mass (first 6-8 inches) equals lesser deflection. With that philosophy, and the supposed weight of the ferrule is greater than the weight of the shaftwood, the deflective qualities are combated with many combined methods, not excluding the shortening of the ferrule.

In summary, what I would do:
3/4 inch ferrule (or shorter...I like 1/2, more carom style), uncapped, and with the RED fibre pad. Dead sexy.

If you aren't commited to a taper, that is a huge question as well. As big, if not bigger than the above.

PunchOut
05-19-2009, 08:42 AM
ferrule length wont change the play of the cue, deflection etc..... i have spoken with a few top notch cue makers about this, so this should kill all the stupid theories out there.....

this is simply a cosmetic issue, and i perfer the look of a shorter ferrule, so 3/4 FTW :D

Richardson
05-19-2009, 08:43 AM
I like the look of the shorter ones.

cueboy007
05-19-2009, 09:01 AM
ferrule length wont change the play of the cue, deflection etc..... i have spoken with a few top notch cue makers about this, so this should kill all the stupid theories out there.....

this is simply a cosmetic issue, and i perfer the look of a shorter ferrule, so 3/4 FTW :D

I personally like 1 inch ivory ferrule, it's beautiful. And I prefer shorter ferrules for other materials.

Does longer length make ivory crack easier(without abuse)?

Anyone had their ivory ferrule crack?

turbo
05-19-2009, 09:40 AM
I personally like 1 inch ivory ferrule, it's beautiful. And I prefer shorter ferrules for other materials.

Does longer length make ivory crack easier(without abuse)?

Anyone had their ivory ferrule crack?

i had my ivory cracked...:eek:

Koopa
05-19-2009, 09:49 AM
I have a 1in ivory ferrule and like the look of it. If there's any difference in deflection because of the 1/4" difference a few days of practice should take care of it.

cueboy007
05-19-2009, 10:36 AM
i had my ivory cracked...:eek:

Did you have a fiber pad? Did you have a hard tip?
Or did you crack it by hitting a ball or something else? :D

LAlouie
05-19-2009, 10:47 AM
If by 3/4" you intend to cut off the cap and expose the tenon, you might not like the hit. It will feel "raw" or harder because you've eliminated the buffer(the cap), and the exposed tenon(which is an extended nipple portion of the shaft) will feel of the hit more.

Don't worry about things like deflection or changes in performance because I am assuming you're an average/or less player(else you wouldn't be asking this question), and those things won't matter in your game. What WILL matter is the effect it has on your comfort(or discomfort) when you hit the cue ball.

Cosmetically, some like the ferrule shorter others like it longer. Your call.

cueboy007
05-19-2009, 11:38 AM
If by 3/4" you intend to cut off the cap and expose the tenon, you might not like the hit. It will feel "raw" or harder because you've eliminated the buffer(the cap), and the exposed tenon(which is an extended nipple portion of the shaft) will feel of the hit more.

Don't worry about things like deflection or changes in performance because I am assuming you're an average/or less player(else you wouldn't be asking this question), and those things won't matter in your game. What WILL matter is the effect it has on your comfort(or discomfort) when you hit the cue ball.

Cosmetically, some like the ferrule shorter others like it longer. Your call.

Good point.
I consider myself an below average to average player.
I'm used to low deflection shafts, so going to a maple shaft will change my game, this is why I want to minimize the deflection by maybe using a shorter ferrule.

However, like you mentioned, the shorter ferrule may not feel the same since there's less buffer. I think the feel is more important, it will help me get used to the cue faster to compensate for english.

metallicane
05-19-2009, 12:07 PM
The more I play with my Z shaft, the more I like the shorter ferrule, but I do like a ferrule as opposed to the OB-1 thing. With that said, I love the way my OB-1 thing plays.