PDA

View Full Version : New England Hall of Fame

tom mcgonagle
05-19-2009, 07:20 AM
The New England Pool and Billiard Hall of Fame, which I started, along with Mike X. in New Bedford Ma. is being re-located to Providence R. I. I'm doing this, because I feel the Hall should be in the most prominent and active room in New England. Snooker's new location is the perfect fit.

I took a vacation, from the game, for several years and the Hall suffered in keeping up with the people they inducted. I plan on changing that in late August or early September. I'm looking to contact several people to let them know they will be inducted.

Bobby Hunt- from Ct.
Bill Dunsmore-from Ma.
Kerry Herbert and T.J. La Flame- from Me.
John Fernandez, R. I.
Manny Hamel and Eddie, (The Electrician) Tennaro, Ma.
Room Owners

Al Baron- Cue Connection, Merrimack N.H.
Gary Leuchessi, Eastern Billiards Supply, Winchester Ma. Now residing in Fla.
Bob Campbell, Author of,(Do It For The Game), Publisher of, All About Pool

This is not just a male thing. I have already contacted several women to let them know my intentions.

In case you haven't noticed most of the inductees are up in their years. I'm saving the younger people for the future. If you have any suggestions for other inductees let me know. I will consider everyone, I think is worthy.

AtLarge
05-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Tom -- since you are asking for suggestions for people to induct, it would help if you would provide a list of people already inducted.

Koop
05-19-2009, 12:43 PM
The New England Pool and Billiard Hall of Fame, which I started, along with Mike X. in New Bedford Ma. is being re-located to Providence R. I. I'm doing this, because I feel the Hall should be in the most prominent and active room in New England. Snooker's new location is the perfect fit.

I took a vacation, from the game, for several years and the Hall suffered in keeping up with the people they inducted. I plan on changing that in late August or early September. I'm looking to contact several people to let them know they will be inducted.

Bobby Hunt- from Ct.
Bill Dunsmore-from Ma.
Kerry Herbert and T.J. La Flame- from Me.
John Fernandez, R. I.
Manny Hamel and Eddie, (The Electrician) Tennaro, Ma.
Room Owners

Al Baron- Cue Connection, Merrimack N.H.
Gary Leuchessi, Eastern Billiards Supply, Winchester Ma. Now residing in Fla.
Bob Campbell, Author of,(Do It For The Game), Publisher of, All About Pool

This is not just a male thing. I have already contacted several women to let them know my intentions.

In case you haven't noticed most of the inductees are up in their years. I'm saving the younger people for the future. If you have any suggestions for other inductees let me know. I will consider everyone, I think is worthy.

Tom,

Do you know the location of the new Snookers?

Also, I played Manny Hamel about 10 years ago while he was under an assumed name, Frank. Very good player.

Thanks,
Koop

tom mcgonagle
05-19-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm doing this strickly from memory.

Nick Vlahos
Carlos Vierra
Mike Zuglan- We import sometimes
Larry Loscotti
Larry(Boston Shorty) Johnson
Dick Reid
Rac Mac
George Rippe
Bob Ingersoll
Herbie Leman
Ron Tocci
Gene Tivnan
Norm Webber
Mike X.
Liz (Benier) Taylor
Sy and Dolly( Gold Crown Billiards) New London, Ct.
Steve and Regina Goulding
Vinny DeTorre
Roy Crabtree
Myself

This is as many as I can recall of the top of my head. If you make suggestions I'll know if they are in or not.

Thanks for bring this to my attention.

selftaut
05-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Joe Tucker
Dave Fernandez
Rich Ross
Rick Marcos
Bob Darigis

tom mcgonagle
05-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Joe is a great suggestion but I'm saving him for later, and his generation of player's. I try to do this in gereration's. Joe's not that old. He still has lot's of game left inside him.I'm thinking over fifty for this group.

tom mcgonagle
05-19-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm looking at as many women as possible. I say, if they will admit it, over thirty-five.

selftaut
05-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Tom , I updated with more players, Rich Ross, Rick Marcos and Bob Darigis should all be over 50.

Kev

Cornerman
05-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Roger Boucher 4 Time New England 14.1 Champion

tom mcgonagle
05-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Roger is already included. Thanks for caring we get the right people in.

Nostroke
05-19-2009, 02:14 PM
deleted ....

Zippy371
05-19-2009, 02:57 PM
What about Grace Nakamora (I have no idea if thats spelled correct) or Nadine B. (not going to try to spell her last name) from CC and Breakers.

Just thoughts

Jason H.

Cornerman
05-19-2009, 03:03 PM
What about Grace Nakamora (I have no idea if thats spelled correct) or Nadine B. (not going to try to spell her last name) from CC and Breakers.

Just thoughts

Jason H.Gracie is from Canada, though she spent a good deal of tourney play in New England.

Nadine (Barofsky?) Mazzola is a good one. So then would be Nicole (Mancini) Albergaria.

Fred

tom mcgonagle
05-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Nicole has already gotten a call from me. Grace and Nadine are great suggestions. If anyone knows how I can contact them please PM me and let me know. This is working out great. Thanks for the help.

AtLarge
05-19-2009, 03:28 PM
I think Nadine Mazzola was inducted long ago.

How about T.J. LaFlamme? [Edit: Whoops. Tom mentioned TJ in the first post of this thread!]

Is Tiffany Nelson old enough yet?

tom mcgonagle
05-19-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm hoping to hear from T.J. Tiffany Nelson and I have talked and she is thrilled to be inducted. She's hoping to attend the ceremony, depends on her schedule.

Voodoo Daddy
05-19-2009, 04:02 PM
No Marty Herman?

Im kiddin' Im kiddin' !!

magix
05-19-2009, 04:49 PM
hi-what about jimmie reid and boston-joey kiley?

SoundWaves
05-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Are you looking for help contacting the people on your list, or looking for suggestions expanding it? Or both?

Cornerman
05-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Are you looking for help contacting the people on your list, or looking for suggestions expanding it? Or both?
He definitely asked for both.

Fred

SoundWaves
05-19-2009, 08:27 PM
He definitely asked for both.

Fred

Thats what I thought. Hey Tom, please PM me your phone number any I will give it to Bobby Hunt if you haven't talked to him yet.

Bobby
05-19-2009, 08:30 PM
What about Mike Rinella? Is he still playing?

tom mcgonagle
05-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Mike's a little to young. I'm not sure what he's up to these days.

AtLarge
05-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Tom, without detracting from Gary Lucchesi as a candidate, I would suggest that perhaps the first Lucchesi who should be inducted is Paul Lucchesi, Sr.

Paul Sr. opened the Ivory Billiard Lounge in Holyoke, MA about 60 years ago. It is still operating -- run by his grandchildren.

Paul Sr. also opened Eastern Billiards in the Boston area in 1961. That business is operated today in Florida by Gary Lucchesi and his family.

Paul Sr. served as President of both the Bowling and Billiard Institute of America (BBIA) and the Billiard Congress of America (BCA). In 1978, he received the BBIA's Industry Service Award, which has gone to a host of luminaries (players and non-players) in the billiard world.

I think Paul Sr. was pretty much a "giant" in the billiard industry in the 1960's and 1970's, and his legacy continues today.

selftaut
05-20-2009, 03:34 AM
Bill Dunsmore is in Florida, he plays on Tony Crosby's tour, you should be able to get in touch with Chicken Man through Tony. Tony posts here on the forum so just send him a PM.

MikeMaaen
05-20-2009, 06:25 AM
Thanks to Ton McGonagle for mentioning Herb Lehman on his list. I've know Herb for over 20 years and if anyone lives, breathes and eats pool he's going to be hard to beat. Really sharp snooker player as well.

tom mcgonagle
05-20-2009, 07:33 AM
My list of future inductees is not complete. Please refrain from posting names unless you are doing it so I may consider them. Thank You

AtLarge
05-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Bruce Barthelette -- for his success as a pool league operator (2nd largest APA league) and his accomplishments as a trick shot artist.

AtLarge
05-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Candi Rego -- for her accomplishments as a player and her service to the WPBA

Mark Kulungian -- for his success as a pool room owner (20 years) and as a pool cue collector, dealer, and expert

Nostroke
05-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Ill nominate Waterdog-Donnie Edwards!

tom mcgonagle
05-20-2009, 10:29 AM
Candi has been notified. I'll deal with the rest of this tomorrow. I'm off to Providence early. Some of my friends are working in East Providence. I'm paying them a visit. Great suggestions so far. Thanks again. Keep them coming.

AtLarge
05-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Beau McGarrett -- primarily as a player, but he also operated leagues and taught

Laddie Mills -- as a player and room owner

Eric.
05-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Bobby Hunt- from Ct.

Try contacting Barry Cameron or PM me and I can call Barry too.

Eric

Koop
05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks to Ton McGonagle for mentioning Herb Lehman on his list. I've know Herb for over 20 years and if anyone lives, breathes and eats pool he's going to be hard to beat. Really sharp snooker player as well.

Is Herb an old-timer that may have possibly had a stroke?
I played an older gentleman a while back named Herb who shook like crazy....until he was ready to pull the trigger.
From what I was told he was as good or better than Boston Shorty back in the day. Great guy and fantastic player.

Dave in Boston
05-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi Tom,

What is your criteria for entry?

I see that Marty Herman’s name was mentioned and not acknowledged and can somewhat understand why but then again I am not sure what your criteria is?

Also what about Mark Ransom - Player, Room owner, Gambler and also for some of the tournaments he put on.

PS hope I am not steering things up with the Marty thing lol just thought he deserved a fair shot for his playing.

tom mcgonagle
05-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Quick Hall Of Fame update.

I met last week with Ray Disell. He was the person I worked with when we started the hall. Ray has the list of the original inductees and the second class inducted. We are going to New Bedford this coming week to try to salvage anything we can from there and put it in the new location.

Thanks for all the responses you people out there have given me. Obviously many of you are very familiar with the New England players. I haven't had a bad suggestion yet. At Large and Dave from Boston keep up the good work. I''l have more information next week.

tommcgonaglerightoncue.com

Dana Bufalo
05-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Ill nominate Waterdog-Donnie Edwards!

Great article by Ted Kleine dated January 5, 2001 from the Chicago Reader (http://www.chicagoreader.com/) archive.

https://securesite.chireader.com/cgi-bin/Archive/abridged2.bat?path=2001/010105/WATERDOG&search=waterdog

jonesy
05-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Tom, what about David (the eagle) Hall. He is over 35.

tom mcgonagle
05-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Dave is definitely a candidate, for the future. He has all the credentials to someday find his way in. It may take a few more years but Hall, will someday, enter the Hall.

My book is available at:

tommcgonaglerightoncue.com

Jimt
05-31-2009, 06:13 PM
How about Red Ledger.

He was Roger Bouchers nemisis for many, many years and a great player.

Liz Taylor has any contact info on Roger if you need more info.

She would also be a good source for potential inductees.

Grand idea, by the way, Tom.

scttybee
05-31-2009, 08:18 PM
mike webb-and tom you know hes gettin old

and as for maaaaty he would look right down his nose and say he'll have none of this

AtLarge
05-31-2009, 11:04 PM
mike webb-and tom you know hes gettin old

Paul Drexler, too (even older)

bogey54311
05-31-2009, 11:52 PM
Beau McGarrett -- primarily as a player, but he also operated leagues and taught

Beau (pronounced as BO) was one of my mentors.
He was a world class 14.1 player.
He passed away a few years back.
I would love to see him in there.

chris G

PhilosopherKing
06-01-2009, 01:38 AM
Mazin Shooni
Bob Malacheck?

Drawman623
06-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Conspicuously absent

Jack Colavita
Roland Maynard
Eddie Gregory
Harry Garfinkle
Dungaree Joe

Mike_Mason
06-01-2009, 05:27 AM
Tom

In my pool room in Salem I had an old black and white photo of Billy Hodgkins and Johnny Marco posing with their trophies...back to back New England champs in the mid-60's...John was no slouch and imo nobody could touch Billy when he was right...

Mike

tom mcgonagle
06-02-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm on my way to new Bedford this morning. Ray Desell is coming by and we are heading down to New Bedford. It should be an interesting day, a trip back in time.

I should have a good idea of where I'm going with the future of the "Hall", after today.

I think I'll stop in Brockton on my way home. Another of the many great rooms in New England.

tom mcgonagle
06-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Yesterday's trip back in time with the "Rainman" and myself to the New England Hall of Fame.

Ray Desell picked me up at 11:00 am and we drove down to New Bedford yesterday.
Accu-rate billiards was our destination. We were on our way to see how things looked in New Bedford. It wasn't what we expected to find. The Hall of Fame has been temporarily dismantled and the new plan is to have it displayed in the private room in the back of Accu-rate Billiards.

The new owner was nice to Ray and myself and even offered to have a future event there. The problem is, he wants other rooms in the area to help him supply the added money needed to host a Joss event. I don't see this happening.

Steve Goulding has offered to supply the Hall of Fame with wall space and host a tournament with the 'Hall" as part of it. Ray and I are leaning towards going with Steve and having more than one place the players of New England and their accomplishments can be recognized. Thanks for your patience but now comes the hard part. We have to put together a new site. Please help if you can.

Here is a list of the people already in the "Hall".

Herb Lehman,Carlos Vieira, Larry Lisciotti, Ray MacNamara, Mike Xiarhos,, Mike Zuglan, Larry Johnson, (Shorty), Bob Ingersoll, Roy Crabtree, Norm(Farmer) Weber,Bobby Hunt, Mike Nicoloro, T. J. La Flame, Andrew St. Jean, Bill Dunsmore, Roger Boucher, Charles Seaback, Ron Tocci, Gene Tivnan, George Rippe, Dick Reid, Liz Bernier (Taylor), Dawn Meurin, (Hopkins), Jamie Patterson, Grace Nakamura, Steve and Regina Goulding, Dave Cunha, Sy and Dolly Erkhart, Vinny De'Torre, Nick Vlahos, Tom McGonagle, Louis Prisco, and Billy Hodgkins.

I think I got most, if not all of them. Please feel free to make suggestions. I want positive input, please. Here's your chance to contribute to this project. I would like any pictures of these people your willing to share, we'll make copies, news paper articles. Phone numbers or e-mail addresses. If you nominate a person diseased, a contact in the family, would be nice. This may take more than one year. I'm looking for men over fifty. Women with long productive careers. Fathers and sons. Mothers and Daughters. We are starting a generational thing. Any combination will do. We are also including cue makers for the first time. Mike Webb and Paul Drexler are going to be inducted.

That's it for now. Please help!

I did my best with the spelling.

Dave in Boston
06-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Great Job Tom

New England pool is lucky to have you and thank you for your hard work and effort in this.

AtLarge
06-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Tom -- Thought I'd help with an "organizational" post.

Here is the list of people you posted in Post #48 as already inducted (also includes some later additions you informed me about). I have alphabetized them for ease of reference:

Liz Bernier (Taylor)
Roger Boucher
Roy Crabtree
Dave Cunha
Vinny De'Torre
Bill Dunsmore
Sy and Dolly Erkhart
Steve and Regina Goulding
Billy Hodgkins
Bobby Hunt
Bob Ingersoll
Larry Johnson (Shorty)
T. J. La Flame
Herb Lehman
Larry Lisciotti
Paul Lucchesi, Sr.
Ray MacNamara
Tom McGonagle
Paul Melnichuk
Dawn Meurin (Hopkins)
Grace Nakamura
Mike Nicoloro
Jamie Patterson
Louis Prisco
Dick Reid
George Rippe
Andrew St. Jean
Charles Seaback
Gene Tivnan
Ron Tocci
Carlos Vieira
Nick Vlahos
Norm (Farmer) Weber
Mike Xiarhos
Mike Zuglan

Here is the list of additional candidates you listed in your Post #1:

Al Baron
Bob Campbell
John Fernandez
Manny Hamel
Kerry Herbert
Gary Lucchesi
Eddie Tennaro

And here is a list of additional candidates other posters have suggested in this thread (including those you have already rejected as too young, and with apologies for any misspellings):

Nicole (Mancini) Albergaria
Bruce Barthelette
Jack Colavita
Bob Darigis
Paul Drexler
Donnie Edwards
Dave Egdahl
Dave Fernandez
Harry Garfinkle
Eddie Gregory
David Hall
Marty Herman
Dungaree Joe (??????name????????)
Eddie Kelly
Joey Kiley
Mark Kulungian
Red Ledger
Bob Malacheck
Johnny Marco
Rick Marcos
Roland Maynard
Nadine Mazzola
(?) McDonald
Beau McGarrett
Ron Meriwether
Johnny Mills
Laddie Mills
Tiffany Nelson
Eddie O'Connell
Mark Ransom
Candi Rego
Jimmie Reid
Jimmy Relihan
Mike Rinella
Rich Ross
Mazin Shooni
Joe Tucker
Johnny Vives
Mike Webb

Ed Wiggins
06-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Don't know what the criteria are for entrance, but some like Jimmy Reid didn't spend much time there.

The great Eddie Kelly was from Waterbury, Conn.

You should include Jimmy Relihan, the "Springfield Rifle".

The Boston champion before Ingersoll and Shorty was Johnny Mills.

Paul Melnichuk had several good years at both 3-cushion and one pocket.

Ask Weber about McDonald. Wasn't he from Maine?

Ask Bobby Hunt about Eddie O'Connell from Bridgeport.

Michael Webb
06-04-2009, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=tom mcgonagle;1854983]. We are also including cue makers for the first time. Mike Webb and Paul Drexler are going to be inducted.
QUOTE]

Thank you Tom
I'm honored to be inducted, I couldn't ask to be in better company than to be next to the man who first captured my imagination. Mr. Drexler.

AtLarge
06-04-2009, 06:09 PM
I'll continue to update the list in post #50 for any suggestions made in subsequent posts.

Swede59
06-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Hey Tom..how about Ron "Tall Man" Meriwether? he has most definatly earned it.:thumbup:

i'll private PM his phone number to you if needed.

Michael Webb
06-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Hey Tom..how about Ron "Tall Man" Meriwether? he has most definitely earned it.:thumbup:

i'll private PM his phone number to you if needed.

Can't think of to many people that have giving their time in teaching as unselfishly as Tallman. Tap, Tap, Swede.

Ed Wiggins
06-30-2009, 02:49 AM
Don't forget "Connecticut Johnny" Vives

Ed

tom mcgonagle
07-28-2009, 12:56 PM
I just got back from,the new, Snooker's Things are moving along at a steady pace. The place looks great. It appears they should be ready to re-open in a few weeks.

I'm still looking for help contacting several people and getting more information from them. We aren't using any of the material from New Bedford. We need new material. Some names in particular.

Carlos Vierra
John Fernandez
Dave Fernandez
Rick Marcos
Steve Booth

If you know how to contact these people please let me know.

Michael Webb
07-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I just got back from,the new, Snooker's Things are moving along at a steady pace. The place looks great. It appears they should be ready to re-open in a few weeks.

I'm still looking for help contacting several people and getting more information from them. We aren't using any of the material from New Bedford. We need new material. Some names in particular.

Carlos Vierra
John Fernandez
Dave Fernandez
Rick Marcos
Steve Booth

If you know how to contact these people please let me know.

Snookers is looking very nice, All new Gold crown IV's, selling the old ones for 1800. installed is also a great deal, Price may vary a little on distance traveled. I can help with Dave and Rick, I'll call you tomorrow with their info.

Swede59
07-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Snookers is looking very nice, All new Gold crown IV's, selling the old ones for 1800. installed is also a great deal, Price may vary a little on distance traveled. I can help with Dave and Rick, I'll call you tomorrow with their info.

Hey Mike ..got an exact opening date yet? The antizzzzapation is KILLING ME!!!

And do you know if Steve ended up buying the tables from AFB in Bristol?

rocketship
07-30-2009, 05:44 AM
You can reach Kerry Herbert at Spot Shot in Portland Me.

Michael Webb
08-19-2009, 10:52 PM
For those that remember R.I. pool in the 80's and 90's, Mr. Ed Gregory past away Sunday. He was a great role model back when he enjoyed the game. He gave countless hours playing for charity's and by far one of the best people I have ever had the pleasure to meet and honored to call a friend. His travels took him away from pool but not away from his true friends.

cuemaker03
08-20-2009, 01:34 AM
I will have to get down there and check out the new hall of fame.

efirkey
08-20-2009, 04:33 AM

Laddie Mills -- as a player and room owner

I second Laddie Mills as a strong consistent player for many years and also as a pool room owner who always promoted high level tournaments during his years as an owner

hustler
08-20-2009, 08:26 AM
i didn't see dave egdahl name mentioned. he used to be over at brighton billiards. from what i hear he play good. i also think manny hamel belongs- maybe next year.

tom mcgonagle
09-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Here's the list of people already in the Hall. They're listed in post number 50. Thanks for taking an interest. I think people will like the second site in Providence.

Snooker's opens Monday.

53 Ashburton St.
Providence RI. 02904

Tel# 401-351-7665

Tournament Wednesday night.

jrackman
06-25-2010, 12:49 AM
I think Eddie Locke From Westport, Ct. should be there for all he did in the 70's and still going strong, as a A+ player, Top rated table mechanic, Instuctor, Scruggs cue dealer, top cue repairman and to top it off a good guy. Then you have "Derby" Walter Smith and Charles Gray two older deceased players, that had a lot of history in the game from Stamford, Ct.