PDA

View Full Version : Soft tips that don't mushroom

cueboy007
05-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm using Everest, very good tip, no mushrooming, and feels soft.
I'm looking for recommendations on something softer with low maintenance, Moori, Kamui, Wizard?

JimmyRayK
05-19-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm looking for recommendations on something softer with low maintenance, Moori, Kamui, Wizard?

The Kamui soft is by far the best low maintenance tip I have ever found. Try it, you'll love it.

deep
05-19-2009, 11:53 AM
I recently been using Tiger soft and Molavia soft tips and not had any problems with either of them.

metallicane
05-19-2009, 11:55 AM
I have been using the Kamui Black Soft and love it.

Eruditass
05-19-2009, 12:39 PM
milk dud or dudleys.

ArizonaPete
05-19-2009, 12:39 PM
I've been using a Moori medium (hardness rating of 74.2) for about a year with great success. Had a little mushrooming afer two weeks, trued it up, and haven't had any problems since. I purchased a used McDermott I-2 shaft from Bamacues and put a medium Wizard on it. Plays like my Moori and haven't had any mushrooming after about 3 weeks of play. I purchased the Wizard on the forum here for $5.00 and really like it and you can't beat the price. It only comes in medium though with a rated hardness of 75.7. Your Everest medium measures at 75.1 if that's any help to you. Softer tips measure about 60 to 70. I thought I'd like a softer tip and put an Elk Master on my spare shaft. That's about as soft as you can go at a rating of 60.1. Didn't like it at all. Good luck with your quest for a perfect tip. Let us know how you did. By the way, I'm quoting hardness ratings from Mueller catalog. I believe you can look them up at poolndarts.com.

smoooothstroke
05-19-2009, 12:41 PM
Why do some prefer a soft tip?

Is it just the feel of the hit or is there another reason?

cueboy007
05-19-2009, 12:46 PM

I want soft tip their feel and control. I tend to miscue with a harder tip.

stormshadow1
05-19-2009, 12:49 PM

Black Kamui soft is a great one but the so are the Moori's I would try them all.It is all feel and individual preference!!:thumbup:

cueboy007
05-19-2009, 12:52 PM
I've been using a Moori medium (hardness rating of 74.2) for about a year with great success. Had a little mushrooming afer two weeks, trued it up, and haven't had any problems since. I purchased a used McDermott I-2 shaft from Bamacues and put a medium Wizard on it. Plays like my Moori and haven't had any mushrooming after about 3 weeks of play. I purchased the Wizard on the forum here for $5.00 and really like it and you can't beat the price. It only comes in medium though with a rated hardness of 75.7. Your Everest medium measures at 75.1 if that's any help to you. Softer tips measure about 60 to 70. I thought I'd like a softer tip and put an Elk Master on my spare shaft. That's about as soft as you can go at a rating of 60.1. Didn't like it at all. Good luck with your quest for a perfect tip. Let us know how you did. By the way, I'm quoting hardness ratings from Mueller catalog. I believe you can look them up at poolndarts.com.

Thanks for the stats, I remember seeing hardness tests before.

I saw Tiger comment on their Everest something like "... shapes like a medium, plays like a soft....".

I've used Wizard, I find it a bit harder than my Everest, maybe I haven't played enough with the wizard yet, it does have the feel of a high performance tip.

I hear people say Moori Slow mushrooms a lot, is this true?

Hows Molavia compared to Kamui?

FAST_N_LOOSE
05-19-2009, 01:00 PM
why do some prefer a soft tip?

a softer tipo stays on the bit a little longer, allowing for more "feel". They also tend to miscue less, and require less scuffing/picking to take chalk properly.

On the other side, they usually mushroom faster, and have a "mushy" feel to them, instead of a "pop".

I have several different playing shafts, and i have 1 with a soft tip. I've been using a dudley from muellers as my soft tip for awhile now, and i've been very pleased with it. Hasn't mushroomed at all, and plays well.

JXMIKE
05-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I had a repairman hard press a sniper and then shave it down a little, it now has as hard of a hit as a triangle, but it holds chalk great and has the control and grab of a sniper.

Never mushroomed.

Secaucus Fats
05-19-2009, 02:57 PM

Good question.

Here's my take on it, a softer hit is less "jarring" therefore it provides a distinctly different "feel" in terms of sensory feedback. The softer hit imparts different "action" on the cueball than if the shot were taken with a harder tip.

For lack of a better word I would say the softer hit is somewhat more forgiving of any stroke deficiencies.

I would tend to think of it as the difference between being hit in the knee cap by ballpeen hammer versus a mallet (of equal weight).

A harder tip has a "crisper" hit, both in relation to sensory feedback, and in the action imparted to the cue ball. Harder tips require more finesse or "touch" but they reward you if your mechanics are rock solid, and you have a decent stroke.

At some point, thru trial and error, thru experience and familiarity most players arrive at a hardness range for their tip that suits them for life.

My advice to you is try some of the different tips, hard, soft, medium, non-laminated and laminated. Eventually you'll find your favorite and that's one less thing to worry about. :)

BTW--My current choice in Med Hard tips is the Hercules 2.

Fats

rlw
05-19-2009, 03:42 PM

I don't like mis-cues

tomspoolrm
05-19-2009, 07:02 PM
ive had good luck so far with sniper and dudley. wasnt too impressed with my first milk dud